PDA

View Full Version : Has there been anything like this before?

ad8
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
So I searched for a german preorder-version of RAFRAG and I found this:
http://www.emp.de/bin/shop.php?prog=shop&mid=771&article=435458&funktion=PRODUCTINFO&bildrub=search
The "Info" part consists of an article that describes the album and gives us details about Fix You and Kristy, Are You Doing OK?. Has there been anything llike this before? Cause I'd be surprised if a german shop had a promo-version of RAFRAG before everyone else.

Jesus
05-27-2008, 12:58 PM
So I searched for a german preorder-version of RAFRAG and I found this:
http://www.emp.de/bin/shop.php?prog=shop&mid=771&article=435458&funktion=PRODUCTINFO&bildrub=search
The "Info" part consists of an article that describes the album and gives us details about Fix You and Kristy, Are You Doing OK?. Has there been anything llike this before? Cause I'd be surprised if a german shop had a promo-version of RAFRAG before everyone else.

There was a listening session in Berlin too; emp also had an interview with Dexter there:

Was posted a while ago. Prolly in one of the Rock Am Ring topics.

ad8
05-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Ah, right... I already forgot those listening sessions.

drex878
05-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Böse Zungen behaupten, The Offspring wären längst so etwas wie das punkrockende Gegenstück zu Status Quo – eine Band, die musikalisch absolut berechenbar ist, und seit 20 Jahren denselben Stiefel runterspielt. Was auch für ihr neues, achtes Werk gilt, das erste nach fünfjähriger Plattenpause kommt. Da setzen Dexter, Noodles & Co. einmal mehr auf ihren bewährten Power-Sound, der von hymnischen Melodien, mehrstimmigem Gesang, fetten Riffs und griffigen, kompakten Refrains lebt. Gleichzeitig vergehen sie sich aber auch erstmals an akustischen Balladen ("Kristy, are you doing ok?"), getragenem Midtempo ("Fix you") und elektronisch-angehauchtem Bombast in bester Linkin Park-Manier ("A lot like me"). Momente, die den Willen nach Veränderung unterstreichen, gleichzeitig aber auch für besorgtes Stirnrunzeln sorgen. Denn am besten sind die Kalifornier immer dann, wenn sie unbekümmert drauflos rocken und das Ganze mit politischen Texten ("Hammerhead") sowie fiesen, kleinen Ohrwurm-Harmonien würzen. Dann, und nur dann, kann "Rise and fall, rage and grace" wirklich überzeugen. (Marcel Anders / 25.04.2008)

What does this say, anyways?

Jojan
05-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Babelfish translation:

Briefly: Second " Smash" is " Rise and case, rises up and grace" not. Nevertheless it is better around classes than " Splinter" of 2003. Simply, because the 12 pieces power have, by engaged texts shine and - like the single " Hammerhead" - mill direct in the Kleinhirn. EMP editorship: Bad tongues maintain, The off-jump would long be as as the punkrockende counterpart to status Quo - volume, which is in music absolutely calculable, and since 20 years the same boot down-plays. Which is valid also for its new, eighth work, which comes first to five-year disk break. There set Dexter, Noodles & CO. once more on their proven sound of power, which greases from hymnischen melodies, mehrstimmigem singing, reef and handy, compact Refrains lives. At the same time they offense themselves for the first time in addition, against acoustic Balladen (" Kristy, acres you doing ok? "), carried Midtempo (" Fixed you") and electronic angehauchtem Bombast in best Linkin park manners (" A plumb bob like me"). Moments, which underline the will after change, at the same time in addition, for anxious frown ensure. Because best is the Kalifornier whenever her unbekümmert straight on rocken and the whole with political texts (" Hammerhead") as well as fiesen, small ear worm harmonies pepper. Then, and only then, can " Rise and case, rises up and grace" really convince. (Marcel differently/25.04.2008)
"A plumb bob like me" is "A lot like me", "Kristy, acres you doing ok?" is "Kirsty, are you doing OK?".

So... Kirsty is acoustic, A Lot Like You is Linkin Park and Fix You is 'midtempo'.

Cock Joke
05-27-2008, 01:31 PM
direct in the Kleinhirn.

That made me lol.

Briefly: Second " Smash" is " Rise and case, rises up and grace" not.

And that made me cry. It seems like they're saying that it is nowhere near as good as Smash.

IamSam
05-27-2008, 01:33 PM
And that made me cry. It seems like they're saying that it is nowhere near as good as Smash.

Shut up. It doesn't mean it isn't going to be good. Americana and Ixnay weren't Smash were they? They were still good, correct?

Some of you people are dramatic dipwads who make the biggest deals out of the smallest things.

Cock Joke
05-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I wasn't trying to imply that it would be bad...

skoko
05-27-2008, 01:36 PM
some peoply say, that the offspring are the status quo of punk rock. a band who plays since 20 years the same, successfull stuff. this is what they do on their eight album, which they release afte five years of silence. Dexter, Noodles and co are making power sounds with catchy melodies and refrains, and cool riffs. but they also try to do some new stuff like the acustic ballad (Kristy...), midtempo-songs (Fix you) and electronic touched rock like linkin park (a lot like me). this songs shows, that they are willing to change, but they always do their best stuff, when they just start rocking with political lyrics (hammerhead) and catchy melodies. only at this sond, rafrag realy kick ass.

too late^^ this is a free translation

andrewdewald
05-27-2008, 02:12 PM
some peoply say, that the offspring are the status quo of punk rock. a band who plays since 20 years the same, successfull stuff. this is what they do on their eight album, which they release afte five years of silence. Dexter, Noodles and co are making power sounds with catchy melodies and refrains, and cool riffs. but they also try to do some new stuff like the acustic ballad (Kristy...), midtempo-songs (Fix you) and electronic touched rock like linkin park (a lot like me). this songs shows, that they are willing to change, but they always do their best stuff, when they just start rocking with political lyrics (hammerhead) and catchy melodies. only at this sond, rafrag realy kick ass.

too late^^ this is a free translation

5 years of silence after a greatest hits CD/DVD and a full tour? Someone's got their facts incorrect....

skoko
05-27-2008, 02:29 PM
5 years of silence after a greatest hits CD/DVD and a full tour? Someone's got their facts incorrect....

ok, this translation was a little bit to "free" from me. they say:

"after a five-years disk break"

GunForHire
05-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Trying to make predictions or decisions off a BABELFISH translation is probably a good idea, mostly because it sucks ass. Perhaps getting one of the forum's German-speaking members to translate would be a better idea.

IamSam
05-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Trying to make predictions or decisions off a BABELFISH translation is probably a good idea, mostly because it sucks ass. Perhaps getting one of the forum's German-speaking members to translate would be a better idea.

But that idea has logic and common sense written all over it. We don't like that around here. sarcasm

ad8
05-28-2008, 07:16 AM
But that idea has logic and common sense written all over it. We don't like that around here. sarcasm
Especially Jojan:D
So basically they were saying that "A Lot Like Me" is a song which sounds like Linkin Park and that Kristy, ... is an acoustic song. And that "Fix You" is a mid-tempo song. That's the things that we might not have heard already. And they are saying that the Hammerhead lyrics are political...

Count Orlok
05-28-2008, 09:39 AM
As far as I´ve got english skills:

Briefly:"Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace" isn´t a second "Smash".Nevertheless it´s
by far better than "Splinter" from 2003.Simply because the 12 songs have power,amaze with involved lyrics and - like the single "Hammerhead" - are really catchy tunes.

Mean critics claim,that The Offspring are the punk-rocking counterpart to Status Quo - a band that´s musically absolute predictable and plays the same stuff since 20 years.This applies also to their new,8th album,the first after a 5 year record brake.Dexter,Noodles & Co. are producing once again their proven Power-Sound,that consists of hymnal melodies,concerted vocals,cool riffs and handy,compact refrains.At the same time they are trying acoustic ballads (Kristy,Are You Doing OK?),slow midtempo (Fix You) and a bit electronic-ish bombast rock like Linkin Park (A Lot Like Me).
Moments which underline the will to change, but at the same time raise a few worried eyebrows.Because the Californians are best when they rock reckless and complete that with politic lyrics (Hammerhead) and nasty little catchy tunes.Then,but only then,"Rise And Fall,Rage And Grace" can really convince.

I hope this is better understandable

Jesus
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM

This is what skoko did... he gave a summary. Count Orlok a more literal translation.

Chrome
05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
"A plumb bob like me"

HAHAHA! that sounds so funny...

Pranksta
05-28-2008, 08:09 PM
small ear worm harmonies pepper

What the fuck?