PDA

View Full Version : Why do THe Offspring neglect the first two albums in concert?

one hundred punks
05-28-2008, 12:01 AM
It isn't like the S/T and Ignition albums are underground.They both have to be close to Platinum by now. Also,it isn't like they went from thrash metal to pop punk. I know we could probably never agree on a perfect setlist but you would have to think most people at the Offspring shows where they are the headliner (not a radio festival) would know the older material.
________
Aprilia Pegaso 650 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Aprilia_Pegaso_650)

mat.kc.
05-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Probably due to the amount of hits they have.

That's like asking Metallica to perform some of their older stuff; in reality,
bands are more than likely to show off things that they know flow well with
the crowd. The songs that have truly established their name in music.

However, seeing Dirty Magic or LAPD live (again) would make my day :D

Hypodermic_89
05-28-2008, 12:59 AM
I just think they don't remember how the songs go. :)

jacknife737
05-28-2008, 01:00 AM
From interviews from the band, they usually give the excuse that they're not as well known as the newer stuff, and they do have a point. However, they seem to almost be moving away from this mindset, since during their last proper North American tour (05 Warped) they often dug out songs from Ignition, I got to hear Session, and I almost died! I really hope when they finally launch the full RAFRAG tour, they’ll keep mixing up the setlist and it wont be a “Greatest Hits” show.

Jesus
05-28-2008, 01:43 AM
For what it's worth they don't play much from the last 2 album either. Only Want you bad and can't get my head around you. I guess they (well Greg, cause he makes the setlists I think) just look at what gets the most crowd reaction. But yeah there is probably going to be a difference between festivals and their own shows.

Budzy
05-28-2008, 02:33 AM
Well this was there set at Soundwave Melb:

Bad Habit
Pretty Fly (For a white guy)
Half Truism
Cant Get My Head Around You
Americana
All I Want
Spare Me The Details
Staring At The Sun
Have You Ever
Why Dont You Get A Job
I Want You Bad
Gone Away
Come out and Play
Hit That
The Kids Aren't Alright
Self Esteem
Can't repeat

eric79
05-28-2008, 02:40 AM
They played 'session' at inland invasion 2 a few years back, quite a show that was.

Amiralanal
05-28-2008, 02:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPlAFU20qpU

Here is a live video of them playing session at warped tour 2005.
I fucking love this video.

Rave21
05-28-2008, 03:46 AM
maybe they'll play more ignition stuff after the re-issue comes out.

RobinoZombie
05-28-2008, 03:56 AM
could be a possibility

gtrman09
05-28-2008, 05:26 AM
i saw em play Elders at warped. it was insane!

Blackball_
05-28-2008, 05:48 AM
i dont think they have played too many proper shows (ie, headlining tour not some festival) where they havent played a song from ignition... be it session, kick him when hes down or dirty magic.

yes everybody would like to hear more though. is it really going to upset ANYBODY if they play some old song V some newer song that isnt on any of the singles:rolleyes:?

i saw em play Elders at warped. it was insane!

thats a fuckin heroic effort.

Count Orlok
05-28-2008, 06:41 AM
I really would love it if they played more Ignition songs live.
Session/Kick Him When Hes Down,Burn It Up or LAPD are killer-livesongs!
Also,i think they could kick a few songs like Get A Job or Want You Bad,everyone has heared them often enough now.

F@ BANKZ
05-28-2008, 06:55 AM

That thought hadn't occured to me. Good thinking there.

I'd never expect them to play much from the first albums but to they have lots of songs that would sound amazing live: Elders, Out On Patrol, Blackball, Beheaded, most of Ignition. They should definately play one each time in my opinion and two or three on occasions. I'd personally be disappointed if I saw them and they skipped Ignition completely.

Macko
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
hearing the intro of Beheaded live would literally blow my head off!

ThunderPX
05-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Playing Elders now might be a little ironic. :P

Little_Miss_1565
05-28-2008, 08:45 AM
People just don't know as much of the older stuff. Maybe more people will get to know it with the reissues, but I wouldn't get my hopes up (though I secretly will always want to hear "Forever and a Day" live...).

Unnatural Disaster
05-28-2008, 09:00 AM
I'd love to hear them play "I'll Be Waiting" live.

megadeth
05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Probably due to the amount of hits they have.

That's like asking Metallica to perform some of their older stuff; in reality,
bands are more than likely to show off things that they know flow well with
the crowd. The songs that have truly established their name in music.

However, seeing Dirty Magic or LAPD live (again) would make my day :D

All Metallica plays is the old stuff
they ignore the new stuff like it never happened XD

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-28-2008, 09:20 AM
at warped tour '05 i saw them play LAPD and session

universal amphitheater '01 they played dirty magic acoustically

hshduppsnt
05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
The day I hear Blackball live... man I tell ya...

but I wouldn't expect too much, the fact they Played Elders at Warped is fairly surprising but outside of session and dirty magic I wouldn't expect much off of old albums.

nameless
05-28-2008, 04:22 PM
ive seen them a few times and they have never played anything from the first two albums but from what im hearing, it does sound like they get the odd airing live.

im not too sure how the older material would transfer to more arena sized venues that they play nowadays. in my opinion there are a lot of songs from the first two albums that may sound a bit lost in larger venues compared to the likes of self esteem or all i want which would always go down well!

Chrome
05-28-2008, 04:24 PM
i would be happy even if they played songs like It'll be a Long Time again. i heard that song live from '94 a few days ago, it was good live.

Pranksta
05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
For what it's worth they don't play much from the last 2 album either. Only Want you bad and can't get my head around you. I guess they (well Greg, cause he makes the setlists I think) just look at what gets the most crowd reaction. But yeah there is probably going to be a difference between festivals and their own shows.

What makes you think that Greg makes the setlists?

brian.offspring
05-28-2008, 05:49 PM

same opinion here!

but anyway, a lot of people (at least here) know their older stuff like L.A.P.D., dirty magic, session, burn it up, elders, tehran . . and we all want them to play those songs.

but there must be a good reason . . .

Nemesis881
05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
but there must be a good reason . . .

They dont want to spend the time rehearsing them. You cant expect to play a song very good after 15~ years.
They need that time to learn newer songs :p

one hundred punks
05-28-2008, 08:43 PM
They dont want to spend the time rehearsing them. You cant expect to play a song very good after 15~ years.
They need that time to learn newer songs :p

Ha, it isn't like the new songs require a Dream Theater level of musicianship.Pretty much no reason why some old shit shouldn't be played, and by old I don't mean Smash. Is anyone really gonna care if they drop WDYGAJ or PFFAWG?
________
vaporgenie (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

Smash punker
05-31-2008, 03:42 AM
The Smash times are gone. I wanna have a time machine! :D