PDA

View Full Version : Noodles explains the sense of RAFRAG !

Powerh
05-29-2008, 10:01 AM
there is a video with Noodles talking about the sense of the title of the new album "Rise And Fall, Rage and Grace":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op3h3_tv76o

Interesting !

Free?
05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for posting!
No joke songs, Offspring gets "too fucking serious"! :D

Jojan
05-29-2008, 10:45 AM
"Rafrag" is a cool album title. They should change it.

Unnatural Disaster
05-29-2008, 11:08 AM
This will be a first... WOW.

S/T: Beheaded
Ignition: Burn It Up
Smash: Bad Habit, What Happened To You
Ixnay: Cool to Hate, Mota, Don't Pick It Up
Americana: Pretty Fly, WDYGAJ, She's Got Issues, Feelings
Co1: Original Prankster, Want You Bad
Splinter: Wost Hangover Ever, When You're In Prison, Spare Me the Details
RAFRAG: - None -

Jojan
05-29-2008, 11:12 AM

I'd say, most of those songs aren't "joke songs".

Hypodermic_89
05-29-2008, 11:16 AM
That video was cool.

RonWelty
05-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Noodles is really a nice guy!

brothadave79
05-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Mota and What Happened to You? never struck me as joke songs.

Unnatural Disaster
05-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Mota and What Happened to You? never struck me as joke songs.

I guess you could make an argument for What Happened to You, but Mota is a song about weed and getting ripped off while trying to buy weed.

I'd say, most of those songs aren't "joke songs".

They all contain humorous qualities at least for the most part

YODAvid
05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
why cant he just say "because is sounds fucking cool, thats why!"

F@ BANKZ
05-29-2008, 11:39 AM
"Nothing funny, we took ourselves too fucking seriously"
About time! Seriously though, I wouldn't have minded one joke song, but I always really hoped to hear the band going all out.

Biggest offspring fan
05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Thats sweet, thanks for the vid!

Grimesy da Offspringfan
05-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Feelings as a "joke song"???

ad8
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Even if most of these songs have funny parts in them, Dexter surely didn't write them for fun. I'd consider a "Joke song" as a funny song without a meaning, and many of these songs should be taken seriously, even if they're written in a funny style. Like for example Bad Habit and Cool To Hate are dealing with serious problems(road rage, senseless denial of everything). So I wouldn't count all of them as "Joke songs".

Edit: Hey powerh, thanks a lot for the video! Nice to see something new.

Free?
05-29-2008, 12:13 PM
There are no Offspring songs without any meaning. Maybe The Blurb thingie. Maybe.

_KOCOBO_
05-29-2008, 12:29 PM
No joke song ... bummer :D

jacknife737
05-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Really interesting, cheers for posting. Glad to hear a detailed explanation about the album title. Looks as if this is going to be their "mature" record.

IamSam
05-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Technically speaking, the term 'joke songs' is overused. The bolded songs in your list are not joke songs, but rather songs that have meaning behind them and are of a sarcastic nature. Feeling as a joke song makes me laugh. There is not joking in that song.

Aion
05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
nice info..."too fuckin serious"
anyone knows how many is the mangifying of Noodles glasses? =P

DeAtHsTaR
05-29-2008, 01:35 PM

No, What Happened to You is NOT a joke song.

jacknife737
05-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Technically speaking, the term 'joke songs' is overused. The bolded songs in your list are not joke songs, but rather songs that have meaning behind them and are of a sarcastic nature.

Exactly, definitely the most inaccurate and overused term on this site.

Unnatural Disaster
05-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Noodles said it himself that Cool to Hate is a joke song, right in that video.

Lithuanian Offspring
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
You know what Noodles should do? He should seriously cut his fucking hair.. He's starting to look like one of those aging hippies! Eh.. old people with long hair!

Free?
05-29-2008, 03:24 PM
You know what Noodles should do? He should seriously cut his fucking hair.. He's starting to look like one of those aging hippies! Eh.. old people with long hair!
Man, Noodles' haircut is ALLLRIIGHT! Cut it. It's great that he wasn't all the time with the same haircut, coming back to Smash times hair isn't something bad at all.

Cock Joke
05-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Yessssss! No monkeying around, here.

Amiralanal
05-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanx for posting this!

Manzanubrio
05-29-2008, 04:04 PM

maybe some of these songs dont talk about serious things, but they're serious.

for example, beheaded, burn it up (maybe it sounds a bit joking), bad habit, mota, feelings... are serious songs, and they dont sound like pretty fly, with electric effects, backing girl vocals... and that stuff

they were more or less, serious until americana :mad: when appeared the fucking pretty fly, and the fuckin why dont u get a job... they only wanted to sold more cd's.

Unnatural Disaster
05-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Beheaded: "Mommy doesn't have a head anymore, keep it underneath my bed on the floor. That's alright, yeah, that's okay, she never really used her head anyway."

Quoted directly from Dexter: "There‘s tons of songs where the band talks about liking something that‘s gross or sick or whatever, but of course it‘s just a joke. Want some examples? Like, let‘s see, the Dead Kennedys did songs like “Stealing People‘s Mail“ and “I Kill Children.“ Suicidal Tendencies had “I Saw Your Mommy and Your Mommy‘s Dead,“ TSOL had “Code Blue,“ (which was about necrophilia), and D.I. had a song called “I Like Guns.” Of course, these bands didn‘t really advocate these kinds of things – it was just done for shock value, and it was kind of funny too."

Burn It Up: "I'm gonna make a tiki torch, I'm gonna throw it on your porch."

I mean, come on, this is a joking, funny song.

Bad Habit: "When I go driving, I stay in my lane. But getting cut off, it makes me insane."

This is a very sarcastic, funny joke song.

Mota: "Everyday, well it‘s the same.That bong that‘s on the table starts to call my name. I take a hit and zone out again. I‘ll be paranoid and hungry by a quarter to ten"

This whole song is a sarcastic, funny look at what people do when they are high.

Feelings:

You can't say Feelings is a serious song because it is a PARDOY of another song called "Feelings" by Morris Albert http://youtube.com/watch?v=VHapMnqSeR8

Except in the original Feelings, they talk about Love instead of Hate.

spidey255
05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
maybe some of these songs dont talk about serious things, but they're serious.

for example, beheaded, burn it up (maybe it sounds a bit joking), bad habit, mota, feelings... are serious songs, and they dont sound like pretty fly, with electric effects, backing girl vocals... and that stuff

they were more or less, serious until americana :mad: when appeared the fucking pretty fly, and the fuckin why dont u get a job... they only wanted to sold more cd's.

Pretty Fly didn't really have any special "electric effects." It was a pretty basic guitar-bass-drum song. Even Original Prankster didn't have any electric effects, unless in your world rack toms are electric? The only song the Offspring have done with out of the ordinary effects was Hit That. Not enough people realize this. I don't count Why Don't You Get a Job's 30 or so seconds of drum machine.

randman21
05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
You can't say Feelings is a serious song because it is a PARDOY of another song called "Feelings" by Morris Albert http://youtube.com/watch?v=VHapMnqSeR8

Except in the original Feelings, they talk about Love instead of Hate.

Heh, I get way too defensive when people call "Feelings" a parody, for some reason. When you look up "parody" in the dictionary, this is what you get.

1.a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing: his hilarious parody of Hamlet's soliloquy. 2.the genre of literary composition represented by such imitations. 3.a burlesque imitation of a musical composition. 4.any humorous, satirical, or burlesque imitation, as of a person, event, etc. 5.the use in the 16th century of borrowed material in a musical setting of the Mass (parody Mass). 6.a poor or feeble imitation or semblance; travesty: His acting is a parody of his past greatness. –verb (used with object) 7.to imitate (a composition, author, etc.) for purposes of ridicule or satire. 8.to imitate poorly or feebly; travesty.
As I see it, there is not a single humorous, satirical, or burlesque lyric in "Feelings". I like call it "cover with different words". In fact, I think it is the darkest song on that album, by far.

05-29-2008, 06:30 PM
While I'm really stoked for this CD i'm also very disappointed. From the sound of how it's gonna be and the album art, etc. It just really doesn't come off like it's The Offspring's... They are really stepping out of their boundaries for this CD. It can be a hit or miss really, we'll see what happens but it's really sketchy to me.

Lightning Rod
05-29-2008, 09:56 PM
No joke songs, Offspring gets "too fucking serious"! :D

Oh man this is fuckin' great! This Is One of The Best Things That I ever heard. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D:D:D

slade
05-30-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm still yet to find a video where the guy behind the camera isn't a tool.

I don't mind it being serious. I love The Kids Aren't Alright so I'll be stoked either way.

The Search Button
05-30-2008, 02:18 AM
I'd sue the author of this thread.

Did Noodles even allowed the publication of this video?

I wouldn't, especially because of the zoom in thing.

Johnny Birdbrook
05-30-2008, 07:18 PM
i just checked out my song that i put on youtube yesterday and what do i see?
Noodles explaining rafrag is the first video related to mine??

how can that be?
I didn't do anything to achieve this, but i like it very much :D

unfotunally it's not the same if you watch his video^^

for the ones who wanna proof:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zawvGsQiwbs

sidfarkus
05-30-2008, 07:59 PM
interesting explanation of the album title, i had thought it had more to do with the band itself than the tone of the songs

iPunk247
05-30-2008, 11:33 PM
interesting interview w/ noodles man. dude, the offspring gone seriously serious. no joke songs. w0w. i vote for them for presidents and stuff's..thanx. cheers.