PDA

View Full Version : GOLLIWOG. A must-fucking-hear band

Free?
05-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I listen to this brilliant band from Slovenia for few years, they are fucking awesome, seriously, it's not another punk rock band. CHECK THEM http://www.myspace.com/golly.
there was a thread about this band ( http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23208&highlight=golliwog ), however there was no responses and it was pretty pale for such amazing band :P
So...What do you think bout Golly?

OffspringHead
05-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Damn. They sounded amazing until the singer came in. I have a thing against chick singers. I hate em.

Chrome
05-29-2008, 09:13 PM
they are amazing. i dont mind the chick singer

if you have the songs from that album (was it "more than meets..." or something along those lines), put them on the internet, i want to download them (i would buy it but its probably not sold here in Canada)

dff_punk
05-30-2008, 03:23 AM
I actually discovered this band a month ago. And yes, they are fuckin' amazing. Very technical music, yet still very melodical and catchy.

Free?
05-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Damn. They sounded amazing until the singer came in. I have a thing against chick singers. I hate em.
To me they sound perfect. They have their own sound and style of playing. And female vocals here suit perfect aswell, singer doesn't try to song some epic notes, she's singing exactly how punk rock should be sung, and there are sweet screaming male backvocals too.

OffspringHead
05-30-2008, 12:49 PM
To me they sound perfect. They have their own sound and style of playing. And female vocals here suit perfect aswell, singer doesn't try to song some epic notes, she's singing exactly how punk rock should be sung, and there are sweet screaming male backvocals too.
She's a good singer and fits the band just chick singers aren't my thing.

HeadAroundU
05-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Lol, a must-fucking-hear. Whatever.

You guys should rather listen to Tsunami Bomb.

ad8
05-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Amazing. Solid punk-rock. And I don't mind the girl singer, too.

HeadAroundU
05-30-2008, 02:04 PM
You little punks should expand your musical tastes.

ad8
05-30-2008, 02:16 PM

In which way? I for example played a show today and we did the Tetris theme... how is that punk?:D

HeadAroundU
05-30-2008, 02:25 PM
In a way without GOLLIWOG, Pennywise and Bad Religion.

nieh
05-30-2008, 02:57 PM
They're ok but they sound almost identical to every other band that does that kind of thing, despite the female vocals.

Chrome
05-30-2008, 03:21 PM

i dont only listen to punk though...

HeadAroundU
05-30-2008, 03:59 PM
They're ok but they sound almost identical to every other band that does that kind of thing, despite the female vocals.
Lul, didn't expect your opinion on here. The important question is, why waste your life listening to just OK music?

You gotta diss little punks from time to time. :D

Chrome, what do you listen to? Also, why did you get banned? Did you create Obang's account on your computer?

nieh
05-30-2008, 04:40 PM
The important question is, why waste your life listening to just OK music?

I don't which is why I'm not going to bother listening to them again. You guys should listen to some Sleater-Kinney.

Free?
05-31-2008, 03:58 AM
HeadAroundU, it's a matter of taste. I listened to Tsunami Bomb pretty much, but I find Golliwog more attractive to my ear. Being absolutely sure that your music taste is great and that everyone who has a different taste is wrong is pretty silly, don't be a hammerhead. If you can prove that Golly isn't worth our time, then start with that, not offending people with "little punks". Try to listen Golly more, maybe you will change your mind... there are bands that I didn't like from the first sight, but after giving them some time they became my current favorites.
nieh, could you name some similar to Golliwog bands, please! They are the one and only band with such sound that I've met. Would be nice to listen some more of that stuff. :)

dff_punk
06-02-2008, 04:16 AM
In a way without GOLLIWOG, Pennywise and Bad Religion.

It's great to expand your musical tastes. You can listen to more music genres, not just this classical punk-rock, but it's great to return to this type of bands from time to time and not become completely "musically on a higher level". I myself still enjoy this type of music very much, even though I listen to more than just punk.

Free?
01-12-2009, 04:26 AM
Bumpdate!
Golliwog (http://www.myspace.com/golly) are finishing their new record (http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=29359139&blogID=462559134). On their myspace page you can listen the entire "More Than Meets D.I.Y." album (and ask me to upload it).
They also have a youtube account (http://www.youtube.com/golliwoghc) now. Go check it out!

findout5
01-12-2009, 04:41 AM
Well, they do sound like every other punk band. Not bad, bot not that good.

RageAndLov
01-12-2009, 05:17 PM
This band, Golliwog, was a fairly good band. Some kind of mixture of pop punk and melodic hardcore I think :)

What does Golliwog mean anyway? :p

In which way? I for example played a show today and we did the Tetris theme... how is that punk?:D

Do you mean this theme?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFFzZzzlUw&feature=related

Omni
01-13-2009, 12:21 AM
She's a good singer and fits the band just chick singers aren't my thing.

You must loooove Paramore.

Free?
01-13-2009, 04:11 PM
This band, Golliwog, was a fairly good band. Some kind of mixture of pop punk and melodic hardcore I think :)

What does Golliwog mean anyway? :p

As far as I know Golliwog is a character from a book for children. A doll. Hm... let's check wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwog).

Also I have to add that my first feelings about this band were pretty much like findout's

Well, they do sound like every other punk band. Not bad, bot not that good.

But it just grew on me so much, I find them perfect, really. Some of their songs have some pretty much insane structures, it's very refreshing and unpredictable.

RageAndLov
01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
As far as I know Golliwog is a character from a book for children. A doll. Hm... let's check wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwog).

yeah I figured out what it meant, I just thought it was something in Slovenian, and therefor English Wikipedia would have been useless :)

Anyway I tend to like this band more and more. I'd probably buy this album if it where for sale anywhere :P

RageAndLov
01-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I've been listening to them now, and I fucking love this band now!

Probably gonna buy the album on Interpunk.com

Free?
01-31-2009, 04:45 AM
Aha, now you can see what I mean by saying that they're perfect. Welcome aboard!

Rooster
01-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Hehe, a band from my country. Unfortunately i have yet to see them live. I hope it'll happen soon.

RageAndLov
02-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Aha, now you can see what I mean by saying that they're perfect. Welcome aboard!

Yes, they are really great :D

Free?
11-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Time to bump one of my first threads, ah nostalgia!

The good news: http://www.myspace.com/golly has two new songs and they play my strings soo damn goood!
The bad news: the band announced the new album release date which is December 2012 and is like a little bit too damn fucking long :/. I just hope they'll upload the whole album earlier...
Nevertheless new material makes me happy like a little girl!

Rooster
11-26-2009, 06:09 AM
So THIS is what the Mayans meant with their callendar ending in december 2012. Now i get it... Maybe it's just a joke? Because 2012 seems to be a bit too long. I don't know, if i find out i'll let you know (mind you, i'm from Slovenia :D).

By now, i have seen them live (they opened for Anti-Flag on 17th august), and they totally rocked.

Free?
03-03-2010, 06:04 AM
The wait is fucking over (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P7PJ4JHD)
/happppeyyy

RageAndLov
03-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks dude!

Apathy
03-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Music reminds me of A Wilhelm Scream.

I'm not liking the singer. I like females in some bands. Not this one.

Rooster
03-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Bump.

Bought the new album. It was more than worth the money. It's more diverse than More Than Meets D.I.Y., but this isn't a bad thing.

Excellent stuff :)

Llamas
03-27-2010, 06:27 AM

This pretty much outlines my thoughts about this. It's not like they're a bad band, but there's really nothing new about it that would make me want to listen to them.

Someone mentioned Sleater-Kinney in this thread - I definitely agree that more people should listen to them. Now *that's* a female-led band that does something different. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT3Gl4haPNE <3

Rooster
03-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Well true, they're not playing something absolutely new or innovative. However, whatever you do today it's either already been done, or it hasn't been done yet but sounds too weird and experimental (for example, i absolutely love QOTSA, but i doubt i'll ever listen to Era Vulgaris again, except for a few songs; it was experimental, it was something new and unique, but the result wasn't really that good). They play with heart though, and they have a lot of fun doing what they're doing. And as long as they do what they like it's ok with me. Besides, hardcore punk is quite a strict genre, if it's not fast it's not hardcore, and there are only so much things you can do to make a fast, pumping song sound unique. And the genre run out of that stuff a long time ago.

To each their own. I'm not listening to a lot of hardcore bands like them anyway, it's not really my style, but Golliwog still rock hard :)

Llamas
03-27-2010, 10:30 AM
However, whatever you do today it's either already been done, or it hasn't been done yet but sounds too weird and experimental
Fully disagree with this. Sure, most of what a band or singer does now has been done before - but someone can take bits and pieces from tons of various styles and bands and create a different final result (it's like cooking... you don't use any new ingredients, but you just add them in a different manner, and you get a different meal in the end). That Sleater-Kinney link I posted in my last post doesn't sound like any other bands. But I can think of dozens of bands who sound exactly like Golliwog. So where's the draw to listen to them, when I could listen to any of those other bands who sound the same?

Rooster
03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Don't know. Maybe they do sound more unique, but they're deffinitely not my kind of music, and they're deffinitely not playing even a remotely similar genre to Golliwog, and that's the part you missed - you can't invent anything new in hardcore punk anymore, the genre has too strict rules (which isn't a good thing, but that's the way it is).

So no, Golliwog aren't totally unique, but i still like them better than Sleater-Kinney (from what i heard i would put tnem into the modern alternative pop rock genre, which doesn't sound really exciting to my ears either). And i wouldn't call them exactly unique either.

Llamas
03-27-2010, 10:54 AM
I get the feeling that you didn't listen to much (like, past the first verse) of the song I posted, based on your reaction. Alt pop rock? haha hmm... I dare you to watch this entire video and call them that again :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAmIm3XFPuY&feature=related

But really, I don't give a shit about genres. You can call them whatever you want. My point was that they both groups are rock band with female singers - one is definitely unique (name one other band that sounds like Sleater-Kinney), while one sounds like dozens of other bands (I can think of 5 bands off the top of my head who sound like Golliwog).

The point is to branch out of one strict genre. I don't think Sleater-Kinney fits into any particular genre, and I feel the same way about most of my favorite bands and singers. Every song has a different feel and could be categorized differently... that's the sign of a unique and creative band.

I'm really done with this... I don't want this to turn into a stupid argument. I just really don't agree that your options are either do something that's been done a million times, or be sooooo off the wall experimental that it's hard to digest. I think most people would agree with me (though maybe not on an offspring bbs).

Rooster
03-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Ok, indie rock then. Again, a few thousand bands in that genre, which happens to be quite popular. TOO popular. I didn't hear anything exciting for my ears from them. No really catchy or unique riffs. Maybe there are small things that make them unique, but overall the sound is exactly what i would expect from any indie rock band. It doesn't sound anything special to me. I'm just not into indie rock.

I don't give a fuck about genres either. If i like the band, i'll listen to their music. However, it's Golliwog that consider themselves a hardcore/punk/alternative band, which (as we all know, this is a bad thing with punk) follows strict rules. They chose that path.

Anyway, i agree with you, it's better not to turn this into another stupid argument (i didn't bring up the "originality" argument anyway, i think it was the people who don't like the band), because i thing we all can agree on this: to each their own.

Free?
03-27-2010, 12:58 PM
You two will never really accept and understand each other's opinions because you judge it from your own perspectives. Raptor doesn't listen to Sleater-Kinney, llamas doesn't care much about Golly. I can see why both of those bands are original and why both of them aren't.
One thing is for sure, both bands can become addictive if you're having an appetite for that type of music.

Rooster
03-27-2010, 01:22 PM
You two will never really accept and understand each other's opinions because you judge it from your own perspectives. Raptor doesn't listen to Sleater-Kinney, llamas doesn't care much about Golly. I can see why both of those bands are original and why both of them aren't.
One thing is for sure, both bands can become addictive if you're having an appetite for that type of music.

Pretty much this :D

I also thought of this: there was a period of time when i couldn't distinct between metalcore and death metal (and maybe black metal too). It all sounded roughly the same to me. But then i started listening to metalcore and death metal (that phase of my life is over, thank god), and started to notice the differences easier. My point is, it's easier for somebody to notice the differences between the bands if he's into that type of music.

ad8
02-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Bump.

Bought the new album. It was more than worth the money. It's more diverse than More Than Meets D.I.Y., but this isn't a bad thing.

Excellent stuff :)
Bump again. I don't know why it took me that long, but I finally started listening to the new albums songs and enjoy them a lot. One thing I noticed about this bands music is that the songs sound kind of strange when I start listening to them and grow on me with each listen until I pretty much love them... anyway, as Raptor said: Excellent stuff!

RageAndLov
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
I actually ordered More Than Meets DIY through Interpunk in January. Finally! Been loving this band for a long time, about time that I bought an album.