PDA

View Full Version : Scars On Broadway...taking a step away from SOAD

chester666
05-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Since SOAD (standing for SYSTEM OF A DOWN) went on hiatus on 2006, many of their members have been creating new stuff for us to hear, this including System's lead singer Serj Tankian solo album "Elect The Dead" (personally, love it), System's bassist Shavo Odadjian band "Achozen" along with the RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan (i'm personally dissapointed with him, nothing new, just the same hip-hop) and, of course, System's guitarist Daron Malakian, and drummer John Dolmayan side band Scars On Broadway.

Speding a whole night listeting to what they've been doing (they're about to release a album on July 29th, but you can get some of their live stuff completely free from www.soadomized.com, you go to the "audio" page, search SOB and start downloading), i realized they're much more than just an side project, they're as it can be said in a single word, a "band". They're music is energetic, experimental, cool, werid lyrics, a kind of atmosphere is created when you listen to it, you feel something, either you love them or hate them.

If you guys ever have the opportunity of listeting to this new band, just go and do it, i'll give you the exact link where you can download their live stuff....http://www.soadomized.com/audio/sob_concerts.html...
go on and indulge yourself...haha...

personal favorites...
1. they say
2. chemicals
3. universe
4. stoner hate (really weird song)

C ya soon...

adombomb222
07-10-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm just looking forward to Daron's style of writing and singing. It unique and differs from Tankian's. With his voice, though... Itís just not really System Of A Down other then the few songs he sings and his back up singing. Truly I believe that it won't be that good... Only because anyone who is a fan of System knows that Tankian is the heart and soul of System Of A Down.

Chemicals, in my opinion, sucks some major ass. Its just not written well, its very Mezmerize/Hypnotize. Which in my opinion where the two worse albums System ever put out, probably because Daron wrote and sung some of the songs. I'll admit the song it catchy, it just sounds pushed and shitty.

They Say, takes time to get use to, but it's likable. I enjoyed it a lot and it gave me high hopes for the new album till Chemicals was released.

Thomas
07-10-2008, 12:24 AM
The biggest thing that appealed to me about SOAD was how they came together so incredibly well as a band. I even thought about that before the split. John Dolmoyan is easily one of the best metal drummers around. Serj has such a unique voice and style of writing. Daron knows how to write the perfect guitar parts for songs. Shavo added a certain touch of pure aggression to everything he played. They worked harmoniously together and whether the song was brilliant or complete crap, they worked more as an ensemble than any other metal band out there.

That being said, I can't listen to any of this new stuff from the various different bands created from the breakup. Each artist lost something, that little spark, that little....jeez....I can't even think of the word... when they split up. When I listen to them, I can easily tell it's them because of their unique styles, but it's like they all suffer without the support (musically) from their band-mates.

That's just the way I see it, at least.

adombomb222
07-10-2008, 12:55 AM
And the shittiest thing is, I don't believe that even if they get back together and they'll ever sound as good as they did before the break-up. Their self-titled, Toxicity and the very underrated Steal This Album! are three of the greatest hard rock/metal records ever. They'll never have that sound again... That's what really sucks.

yulka
07-17-2008, 01:44 AM
wow!

hard opinions, good opinions...

i think soad is a greater band, serj's solo's is cool, really original, achozen sucks, and i think sob is great too

i don't think mezmerize/hypnotize is their worst album, all their albums are great

well, i think is gonna rock

they say is cool
chemicals, daron sounds like a pirate

you've gotta listen to the other songs...that album has a lot to offer

dff_punk
07-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Has the album of Scars On Broadway already been released/leaked?

EDIT: I found it, downloading right now :)

yulka
07-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Has the album of Scars On Broadway already been released/leaked?

EDIT: I found it, downloading right now :)

really?

can you give me the link please?

dff_punk
07-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Here it is, I only found a torrent, hope you are familiar with them:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1603184

Llamas
09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I just heard about this band... I heard "They Say" and thought it was a boring typical rock song. But I downloaded the album because I like Daron and John as musicians. The album as a whole is pretty solid. It's kinda neat that Serj's solo album and this album sound nothing alike, yet they both sound like System of a Down. Serj hung onto the craziness and Mediterranean styles, and Daron held onto the heaviness along with the electronic bits.

I don't like this as much as SOAD or Serj's stuff, but it's still good. I do like Chemicals, and a few others, quite a bit. This could grow on me.

nightvision
09-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I like the album but I'm growing tired of Daron's voice pretty quickly and after a little while everything seems to sound the same. I do enjoy it but I prefer it in smaller doses.
SOAD > Serj Tankian > Scars On Broadsway.

dff_punk
09-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Is it only me who thinks StonerHate sounds very much like a SOAD song?

Llamas
09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I like the album but I'm growing tired of Daron's voice pretty quickly and after a little while everything seems to sound the same. I do enjoy it but I prefer it in smaller doses.
SOAD > Serj Tankian > Scars On Broadsway.
I agree with everything in this post at this point. Daron's voice really does grow old.

Is it only me who thinks StonerHate sounds very much like a SOAD song?
Probably the most SOAD sounding song of the album... what gives you the impression that you're the only person who thinks that?