PDA

View Full Version : Mailing list?

ixnition
05-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Anybody else still having problems with the mailing list? I've tried to sign up multiple times with different e-mail addresses since the update on the main site with no luck. I just never get a confirmation that I did anything at all. It doesn't even show up in the junk mail folders. Anyone else having this issue?

ernesto88
05-30-2008, 01:59 PM
hi, i was think like you, but today i recived "news" (are old news! date of new album, video contest, etc)
you need be patience man!

Chrome
05-30-2008, 02:32 PM
is your email set to immediatley delete junk? that could be a problem.

ixnition
05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Nah, my email is set to send junk mail to a folder.

oh_strange_one
06-10-2008, 02:25 PM
i have tryed about twenty times over the past year still cant get signed up to mailing list just did it again today it looked like it finally had done it, it sai i should have a confirmation email but didnt get anything. its probably just me and my bad luck ill sit just sit in corner for a lil bit and mourn over the loss of my mailing list email

code_blue
06-12-2008, 03:02 PM
screw the official mailing list, anyone else here remember the old school mailing list? the one with the dutch address or whatever it was? good times. i remember when whitebandit ripped pretty fly off of its world premiere on KROQ and ripped it in .wav format for everyone to hear.... :)

administrator_old
06-12-2008, 11:20 PM
What makes you guys think that it's not working?

If you're on the list already, you can't sign up again. If you're already on and try to sign up again, you will not get a confirm because you are not a new sign-up. Also, some mailing list messages are targeted at specific countries, states, zip codes, etc... Not all mailings go to the entire list (actually, few do).

The mailing list was not new with the site refresh - we've had it on there for years. We get hundreds of signups per week, suggesting that things are working properly.

Until recently, not many messages have been posted to the mailing list. The other thing to keep in mind - it's not uncommon for ISPs and mail providers to block or delay bulk mail like this - it's just part of the gig when it comes to this stuff. I had a half day of back and forth with Yahoo to convince them this stuff was legit and don't even get me started on AOL... One thing you should consider is subscribing to the RSS feed for the news - that's always up to date and doesn't have the spam issues.

I hope that sheds some light.

administrator_old
06-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Also keep in mind that if you signed up to download the Hammerhead song, you're on the mailing list automatically.

Little_Miss_1565
06-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Also keep in mind that if you signed up to download the Hammerhead song, you're on the mailing list automatically.

Ahh, sweet. Okay. That makes me feel better. Crossing my fingers for news for NYC sometime soon. :) Thanks!

A few of us were just worried that there would be ticket presales and things like that and missing out on the codes, etc.

Vera
06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
If you don't get it but should be getting it, you should definitely alter your spam blocker or just add "do_not_reply at offspring dot com" (the email address where the mailing list comes from) into your address book. I know Yahoo used to deliver some msg's to my spam folder before I just added those into my address book and thus claimed them "secure" in the spam filter's eyes. :]

administrator_old
06-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Ahh, sweet. Okay. That makes me feel better. Crossing my fingers for news for NYC sometime soon. :) Thanks!

A few of us were just worried that there would be ticket presales and things like that and missing out on the codes, etc.

No problem at all.

The band does use the mailing list for some cool announcements (such as the Amazon.com MP3 availability of the new record earlier this week) so it's good to sign up for those that haven't already.

Little_Miss_1565
06-13-2008, 09:44 AM
No problem at all.

The band does use the mailing list for some cool announcements (such as the Amazon.com MP3 availability of the new record earlier this week) so it's good to sign up for those that haven't already.

Ah, crap, if that went out to the whole list then maybe I'm not on the list properly after all. I didn't know about that! Just scoured my junk mail folder where the Hammerhead download link went, too. Aww.

administrator_old
06-13-2008, 10:28 AM
That went to the list a day or so ago I think. Yahoo was rejecting a lot of our messages from that send - if you're on Yahoo that could be the problem for that run.

I think you have my email address - if you want to drop me a line, feel free and we can chat via email. If there is a legit problem, we want to know about it.

Here's the thread on Amazon, in case you want that info:

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32957

Hunter / Liberation Media

Little_Miss_1565
06-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm on Gmail. I'll shoot you an e-mail and let's see if there's a real problem or if the internets are just high.

Rag Doll
06-13-2008, 10:42 AM
so, uh, Hunter, I think I'm having a pretty legit problem also.

I tried signing up with gmail and with my student email from my college and I did not get a confirmation email on either (and I know neither had been signed up before, because they are both pretty new). I get tons of other emails....from the Smashing Pumpkins official site, from stores, from Lastfm, etc. But I'm not getting the emails from here....I never got the most recent email you mentioned, for example.

I'm in NYC metro area, just like 1565, if that makes a difference.

nieh
06-13-2008, 01:37 PM
The only e-mail I've ever gotten from the mailing list was the one containing the download for Hammerhead, I've received nothing else in my inbox or my junk folder since then. I use hotmail if that matters.

administrator_old
06-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Part of this may be expectations - most of the mailing list use is for specifically targeted messages. Very few go to the whole list. If someone else says they got a message and you did not, that could very well have been intentional.

We did have a problem a few months back where the confirm emails did not process properly. That's okay - those accounts are still active.

If you are so inclined, you can always remove yourself:

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/unsubscribeForm

and then re-add yourself.

We will be performing site maintenance later today so maybe wait until tomorrow before trying anything.

hshduppsnt
06-14-2008, 08:38 AM
So, I've apparently continued to have problems with the mailing list, and I've checked my junk settings

what should I add as the safe address - do-not-reply@offspring?

(I got the free download but haven't received news in ages)

administrator_old
06-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Not getting something in a x period of time doesn't really tell you anything either way because of all the reasons I've posted above.

The from address for white-listing is: do_not_reply@offspring.com

Unfortunately there's no way for end-users to check for problems in between us and you - there are so many moving parts and often times we are at the mercy of the mail providers - they don't always accept bulk mail for a billion reasons. It's a constantly moving target and we do the best that we can to get messages out to everyone.

There will probably be mailings over the next few days as the record is released (though I don't know the specifics since it's not my department).

oh_strange_one
06-15-2008, 11:19 AM
i've checked my junk settings on my email addy on both (i tried for two different addys) but still nothing :(

Little_Miss_1565
06-15-2008, 11:30 AM
It might be useful to have a welcome message go out to all subscribers, so users know it's working properly. But like Hunter said, there are so many possible things that could go wrong between their servers and your e-mail server that they can't control or help.

hshduppsnt
06-17-2008, 11:33 PM
woo hoo i removed myself, and added myself, and things are working again :)!

Labbors
06-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Hello to everybody!

I've this problem with the download:
I've received link (it was in spam but no problem to find it!).
I've clicked on link and a new tab with mozilla3 opened... everything black; "no video" write and nothing to save this mp3... :eek:
What's happened? :confused:

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2008, 07:50 AM
I did nothing but wait and I got the e-mail about RFRG! Yay!

ixnition
10-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Well it's been nearly 5 months now. I still haven't received one thing from the mailing list. I tried signing up with both yahoo and hotmail accounts. I removed and added myself to the list again multiple times. I checked, double checked, and triple checked my junk mail settings. Nothing seems to work for me. Is anybody else having such a hard time?

administrator_old
10-09-2008, 04:04 PM
They don't send out that many messages and when they do, they're usually targeted at a specific geographic region (i.e. something about a specific event). Sometimes it is as specific as x miles from a certain zip code.

I have a few accounts setup just as a test, from a few different ISPs and I get the messages that are directed at me.

Yahoo and AOL are notorious for chucking even legit mass messages which sucks. They're supposed to let us know when they do that but in my experience they rarely do.

ixnition
10-09-2008, 08:07 PM
They don't send out that many messages and when they do, they're usually targeted at a specific geographic region (i.e. something about a specific event). Sometimes it is as specific as x miles from a certain zip code.

I have a few accounts setup just as a test, from a few different ISPs and I get the messages that are directed at me.

Yahoo and AOL are notorious for chucking even legit mass messages which sucks. They're supposed to let us know when they do that but in my experience they rarely do.

I can understand not getting messages that only get targeted at certain regions but I haven't received ANYTHING at all. I don't even get general messages that I would assume would go to everyone; such as the news about the new album, the hammerhead video, and this new survey that popped up in discussion today on the bbs. Just to be safe, I tried signing up with a hotmail account as well, hearing that yahoo was causing problems. Neither account I have seems to work and I just "did nothing" hoping to receive future messages. I agree with 1565 about the confirmation e-mail just so users aren't left in the dark. It seems to me that if you don't receive a confirmation e-mail, then it's likely you won't receive your messages either....or am I wrong about this? Could you recommend a mail server that I can use that has the least amount of problems? I understand this is probably frustrating on your end as well and I appreciate your help.

administrator_old
10-11-2008, 09:38 AM
I can understand not getting messages that only get targeted at certain regions but I haven't received ANYTHING at all. I don't even get general messages that I would assume would go to everyone; such as the news about the new album, the hammerhead video, and this new survey that popped up in discussion today on the bbs. Just to be safe, I tried signing up with a hotmail account as well, hearing that yahoo was causing problems. Neither account I have seems to work and I just "did nothing" hoping to receive future messages. I agree with 1565 about the confirmation e-mail just so users aren't left in the dark. It seems to me that if you don't receive a confirmation e-mail, then it's likely you won't receive your messages either....or am I wrong about this? Could you recommend a mail server that I can use that has the least amount of problems? I understand this is probably frustrating on your end as well and I appreciate your help.

Actually, the survey didn't go out to the entire list, they targeted a subset.

Anyway, can you send me the email addresses you're using via private message here and I'll see what I can find out?

dr.vanessa
10-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Well it's been nearly 5 months now. I still haven't received one thing from the mailing list. I tried signing up with both yahoo and hotmail accounts. I removed and added myself to the list again multiple times. I checked, double checked, and triple checked my junk mail settings. Nothing seems to work for me. Is anybody else having such a hard time?

i have exactly the same problem..what should i do???:(:(:(:(

administrator_old
10-11-2008, 10:23 AM
i have exactly the same problem..what should i do???:(:(:(:(

If you are indeed in Athens, I'm not sure the last time a message was sent to that region but either way, please hang tight for now.

We'll see what comes from the instance we're looking into now and go from there.

dr.vanessa
10-11-2008, 10:37 AM
If you are indeed in Athens, I'm not sure the last time a message was sent to that region but either way, please hang tight for now.

We'll see what comes from the instance we're looking into now and go from there.

i'm indeed in Athens.Should i send u my e-mail adr. for u to check it out?

Thank you:):)

KHWHD
10-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I subscribed as well to the mailing list and I've never received anything either. I'm in Ontario, Canada. And I use hotmail for my email. :confused:

ixnition
10-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Actually, the survey didn't go out to the entire list, they targeted a subset.

Anyway, can you send me the email addresses you're using via private message here and I'll see what I can find out?

I tried sending you a PM but it gives me this in return:

administrator has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

LosingStreak
10-11-2008, 04:04 PM
ive signed up for the mailing list many times and i got the same problem...

Camilamazed
10-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I never get emails from the mailing list. What the hell..

administrator_old
10-13-2008, 11:11 AM
We're not able to investigate each instance separately - in my experience 90% of the time it is an ISP blocking the message as spam at their gateway, which is not something we can do anything about.

We'll start by looking at one or two, hence my request for a certain user's info, and if there is something systemic, we can correct it. dr.vanessa, is the address in your user profile here the one you're signed up with on the mailing list? I can check it that way. For others, as I said, hang tight.

And I know I've said it many times but do remember that there are not frequent messages sent out and they are typically targeted to a specific geographical area. It's not a high traffic list with lots of messages.

ixnition
10-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Since I can't PM you, I'll just let you know that my user profile email is the same one I tried signing up to the mailing list with. I also tried with a hotmail account with the same name. I hope you can figure out the problem.

Little_Miss_1565
10-14-2008, 05:20 AM
It's okay, guys, i know it's confusing and we know every time an e-mail goes out to any part of the list because people post here about it, but we're not going to get every e-mail. I didn't get the survey, but I know I'm on the list. Hang in there!

lost_nvrfound
10-15-2008, 09:59 AM
well, I tried another email and got a confirmation email. Hopefully I'll be receiving what goes out to us NC residents now. We'll see.

dr.vanessa
10-15-2008, 10:46 AM
hey i got a confirmation too but there's a URL we have to follow to confirm the membership but when i press on the link it shows a white window and thats all ... is that normal?:confused::confused:

administrator_old
10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Clicking on the URL will confirm you but the white window should be saying 'Thanks'. We'll look at that.

We're going over the mailing list stuff to make sure that everything is setup in the way that will give everyone the best possible chance of receiving the messages in a world of spammers, phishers and blocking software.

dr.vanessa
10-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Clicking on the URL will confirm you but the white window should be saying 'Thanks'. We'll look at that.

We're going over the mailing list stuff to make sure that everything is setup in the way that will give everyone the best possible chance of receiving the messages in a world of spammers, phishers and blocking software.

Thank you :)

Ryder1234
10-15-2008, 07:58 PM
well i just checked my email for the first time in a while. i had two emails for the survey in the same email, i think its working

ixnition
10-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Still nothing new for me but I shall continue to play the waiting game. :D

LosingStreak
10-16-2008, 04:53 PM
still nothing new for me but i shall continue to play the waiting game. :d

i hate the waiting game!!!!

Budzy
10-17-2008, 01:14 AM
i hate the waiting game!!!!

I love your avatar man.

ixnition
10-26-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm no fan of the waiting game either but sometimes it's necessary. Well, at this point I have still not received anything from the mailing list in the email addresses that I signed up with since the site changed to the RAFRAG format. I did however receive the survey in an email account that I signed up to the mailing list with around 7 years ago. So it seems that things are being worked on but my original problem persists.

LosingStreak
10-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I love your avatar man.

Thanks man... I like it to.

administrator_old
10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
We're making some changes to the mailing list software that will, among other things, give us better insight into any issues with undeliverable issues that pop up.

I can't say when the new system will be in place but we are working on it.

ixnition
10-27-2008, 05:27 PM
We're making some changes to the mailing list software that will, among other things, give us better insight into any issues with undeliverable issues that pop up.

I can't say when the new system will be in place but we are working on it.

Bravo! It's very much appreciated.

administrator_old
11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Just an update - we are working on this but it is not yet in place.