PDA

View Full Version : One more punk rock album

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 01:27 AM
I was listening to Mission From God and I Thought... The Offspring sound so good doing real punk rock... I mean that's why they started to be so famous with ignition... their sound is unique and identifies them like some other good punk bands like bad religion for example.
Smash is my favorite album, and right after that is americana. But I'm mature enough to see that those albums are not so "punk" as S/T and ignition were. I say ignition is their best effort doing what I see as real punk rock.
Reading and listening interviews I put the pieces together and I realized that When they put smash out the band was not ONLY about having fun anymore... it was also a job and they saw there the chance to make a lot of money from this.
I know they still make some hard songs for more hardcore fans but it's not like in their past. Please understand I'm not against their position and I'd probably do the same... anyway I love some of their new stuff and that's what brought me to them in 1998. Also, I'm excited for the new album.
But it ocurred to me... they could make one more punk rock album... ignition style, before retiring and leave this beautiful legacy for the fans... Imagine now that they're more mature and grew so much musically... how great that would be? It'd be probably the best punk album of all time :P

The Search Button
05-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Nope. I disagree.

There can only be 1 ST, 1 Ignition, 1 Smash, 1 Ixnay, 1 Americana, 1 Conpiracy, 1 Splinter and 1 RAFRAG.

Everything in life changes and evolves with time. Get used to it.

Amiralanal
05-31-2008, 01:36 AM
ZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzz

disclaimer_07
05-31-2008, 01:43 AM
It's simply impossible to make another S/T or Ignition, or even Smash. They sound the way they do because they all were recorded like 20-15 years ago. Now look, it's 2008.

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Nope. I disagree.

There can only be 1 ST, 1 Ignition, 1 Smash, 1 Ixnay, 1 Americana, 1 Conpiracy, 1 Splinter and 1 RAFRAG.

Everything in life changes and evolves with time. Get used to it.

I believe they can do it if they want to. No keyboards... no silly lyrics... not fixing every single detail and adding so much effects on voice and instruments... and finally playing more punk songs... Life can't be so hard as you're saying... I just want one more! hehe

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 01:46 AM
It's simply impossible to make another S/T or Ignition, or even Smash. They sound the way they do because they all were recorded like 20-15 years ago. Now look, it's 2008.

I'm not talking about sound quality... but about music and lyrics.

disclaimer_07
05-31-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm not talking about sound quality... but about music and lyrics.

But I'm afraid that's an important factor too.

spidey255
05-31-2008, 02:26 AM
I believe they can do it if they want to. No keyboards... no silly lyrics... not fixing every single detail and adding so much effects on voice and instruments... and finally playing more punk songs... Life can't be so hard as you're saying... I just want one more! hehe

One song had keyboard. One. There's nothing wrong with that.

Count Orlok
05-31-2008, 02:53 AM
An album filled with 12-14 real punk rock songs is a really good idea,imo.
I think The Offspring are at their best when they play punk songs.I love Ignition!

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 03:09 AM
An album filled with 12-14 real punk rock songs is a really good idea,imo.
I think The Offspring are at their best when they play punk songs.I love Ignition!

aha! It's good to see I'm not alone.

Free?
05-31-2008, 03:11 AM
The Offspring have found their own sound and that's why we love them. Another Ignition would be great, but they evolved into what they are now and they play what they want (hopefully). I think RAFRAG will be amazing, Hammerhead sounds to me like Ignition-Ixnay-Americana mixed sound and that's great.

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 03:20 AM
The Offspring have found their own sound and that's why we love them. Another Ignition would be great, but they evolved into what they are now and they play what they want (hopefully). I think RAFRAG will be amazing, Hammerhead sounds to me like Ignition-Ixnay-Americana mixed sound and that's great.

It's great and everything... and I didn't say they shouldn't do it. But I'd like them to make an album filled with punk songs before retiring... not thinking about selling millions of copies... just one last for the sake of the old times and to please some fans. Also, it's not "another ignition". I used ignition only to have a parameter of how great they sound when playing punk. I bet they can do a punk album much better than ignition with their experience today.

Jesus
05-31-2008, 03:56 AM
Real punk rock, punk music, lyrics, make "punk rock music for the hardcore fans" but not for themselves. Can't wait for your definition of those, Mr. Punk Authority!

no silly lyrics...
No beheaded and burn it up. You make me sad. :(. Nevermind the fact that the new songs we've heard have pretty much the best lyrics Dexter has ever written (and if i remember correctly you complained about the lyrics of Hammerhead too, cause they were so serious etc. Go figure).

not thinking about selling millions of copies...
It's 2008, only a few albums still sell that much.

Anyway this thread needs
http://www.thewambulance.com/images/wambulance_logo.jpg

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 04:32 AM
Real punk rock, punk music, lyrics, make "punk rock music for the hardcore fans" but not for themselves. Can't wait for your definition of those, Mr. Punk Authority!

That's what I was afraid... people getting all aggressive... I never claimed to be a punk authority or anything... In fact I'm not punk at all! I just like to listen to it sometimes. Anyway, anyone who WANTS to can see what I said is true.

No beheaded and burn it up. You make me sad. :(. Nevermind the fact that the new songs we've heard have pretty much the best lyrics Dexter has ever written (and if i remember correctly you complained about the lyrics of Hammerhead too, cause they were so serious etc. Go figure).

These songs can be satirical but they don't have silly lyrics! nor silly music! and you are smart enough to know it.
silly lyrics and music is something like WDYGAJ, Worst hangover ever and Spare me the details.
What I said about hammerhed is something like it was too dark... in fact I just hadn't understood the song yet. When I got what he meant I started liking it.

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 04:44 AM
I wanna make it clear I'm not attacking the band! I like their nowadays stuff! I like their music! And I'm not complaining. I just wanted to share this here... What if they did an album with the punk rock they used to do before?

Some people just don't want to accept what they like isn't punk rock and start attacking who says it to them. I like a lot of songs and bands that aren't punk at all... I even like classical music goddammit! Don't get angry 'cause I said SOME songs The Offspring does nowadays are not punk... It's no shame to them or to anyone who likes it (IMO)!

if you think it's punk... then ok... punk has an abstract definition anyway... you have yours I have my own... I don't care...

rlplaymaker
05-31-2008, 06:39 AM
well I believe Dexter said that their music has always been relevant to punk at the time it was released, I agree. And like most bands do, the guys' music has matured into something more than just punk, writing songs about cutting people's heads off and putting them in burlap sacks. ( Don't get me wrong, Beheaded is great), but they are still a punk band, and you can hear that, but they have infused a bit of metal in it, some funk at times, some ska at times, but somehow they have maintained that punk energy and personality.

I was listening to Mission From God and I Thought... The Offspring sound so good doing real punk rock... I mean that's why they started to be so famous with ignition... their sound is unique and identifies them like some other good punk bands like bad religion for example.
Smash is my favorite album, and right after that is americana. But I'm mature enough to see that those albums are not so "punk" as S/T and ignition were. I say ignition is their best effort doing what I see as real punk rock.
Reading and listening interviews I put the pieces together and I realized that When they put smash out the band was not ONLY about having fun anymore... it was also a job and they saw there the chance to make a lot of money from this.
I know they still make some hard songs for more hardcore fans but it's not like in their past. Please understand I'm not against their position and I'd probably do the same... anyway I love some of their new stuff and that's what brought me to them in 1998. Also, I'm excited for the new album.
But it ocurred to me... they could make one more punk rock album... ignition style, before retiring and leave this beautiful legacy for the fans... Imagine now that they're more mature and grew so much musically... how great that would be? It'd be probably the best punk album of all time :P

rlplaymaker
05-31-2008, 06:43 AM

and think, the opening to hammerhead and half truism, it has to remind you of Metallica, when they were still good......dammit i love the offspring!!!!

Smash punker
05-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Self-titled or Ignition will never be repeated by the Offspring again, cause those times are definitely gone. But the S.M.A.S.H.īs success could be back with the new album. Hammerhead sounds so oldschool and I see a lot of roots in there also. If RF,RG would be a punk-rock album as Ignition was, then it would be like awesome for real hardcore, punk fans, but Iīm afraid that this is just an unreal dream and not only mine. I guess that the new stuff will be better than Splinter or Conspiracy, but not better than stuff made till S.M.A.S.H. era! But thatīs just my opinion. And I donīt mind todayīs sound of the band at all! :D

HeadAroundU
05-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Self-titled or Ignition will never be repeated by the Offspring again
For sure.

But we should let him dream about it. :)

Smash punker
05-31-2008, 09:40 AM
For sure.

Haha! :D Punx!

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 10:37 AM
For sure.

Yeah it's more like an impossible dream... you got that right hehe...
I've seen some almost impossible things I dreamt about 'coming true... who knows? But if they did it with the experience they have today... it'd totally kick ass!!

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 10:53 AM
well I believe Dexter said that their music has always been relevant to punk at the time it was released, I agree. And like most bands do, the guys' music has matured into something more than just punk, writing songs about cutting people's heads off and putting them in burlap sacks. ( Don't get me wrong, Beheaded is great), but they are still a punk band, and you can hear that, but they have infused a bit of metal in it, some funk at times, some ska at times, but somehow they have maintained that punk energy and personality.

I agree! They're evolving musically... and as for that punk energy they still got it somehow. I'd also say they became entertainment masters! They can put stuff together in a way it becomes really cool. And for the lyrics... when Dexter is writing for serious you can see how much he evolved.
Again, all that potential in a complete "old school" album would make it became a legend.

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Self-titled or Ignition will never be repeated by the Offspring again, cause those times are definitely gone. But the S.M.A.S.H.īs success could be back with the new album. Hammerhead sounds so oldschool and I see a lot of roots in there also. If RF,RG would be a punk-rock album as Ignition was, then it would be like awesome for real hardcore, punk fans, but Iīm afraid that this is just an unreal dream and not only mine. I guess that the new stuff will be better than Splinter or Conspiracy, but not better than stuff made till S.M.A.S.H. era! But thatīs just my opinion. And I donīt mind todayīs sound of the band at all! :D

Yeah hammerhead's got a lot of punk elements (IMO)... I'm glad they made it as a first single... It felt to me they were trying to please the hardcore fans with this one... smart move.
I'm also guessing their new stuff is gonna be cooler than their last two albums.
Let's see what they got for us. If it equals americana in "coolness" I'd be more than glad! I love americana. hehe

IamSam
05-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Anyway this thread needs
http://www.thewambulance.com/images/wambulance_logo.jpg

Just reiterating this point and the other points Jesus made. I think that going all the way back to Ignition would be a set back for the band. They've come a long way and going back to an Ignition sense would totally dismantle what they've done. You're suppose to evolve with your music, not de-evolve.

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Just reiterating this point and the other points Jesus made. I think that going all the way back to Ignition would be a set back for the band. They've come a long way and going back to an Ignition sense would totally dismantle what they've done. You're suppose to evolve with your music, not de-evolve.

Did you read the stuff I wrote? If you did and still think like that you are just boring.

IamSam
05-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Did you read the stuff I wrote? If you did and still think like that you are just boring.

What kind of smack talk is that? I'm boring?

I saw what you wrote. Hence the Wambulance.

gabrielpatriarca
05-31-2008, 10:50 PM
What kind of smack talk is that? I'm boring?

I saw what you wrote. Hence the Wambulance.

I explained cautiosly I'm not complaining about the band stuff... I just shared a thought... more like a dream... and some people still get kinda agressive... it's boring and senseless

Ninty Man
06-01-2008, 12:12 AM
MMM... I...think that their last big punk album was Ixnay on the hombre... Fans from smash turn their backs...

Camilamazed
06-01-2008, 12:21 AM
About Beheaded and Burn it up

These songs can be satirical but they don't have silly lyrics!

Oh yeah, they have some seroius lyrics. Come on Gabriel, They're totally silly.

gabrielpatriarca
06-01-2008, 12:27 AM
About Beheaded and Burn it up

Oh yeah, they have some seroius lyrics. Come on Gabriel, They're totally silly.

hmm I'm afraid this discussion would be too vague... but I think you may be right. Anyway... joke songs from that time and today are way different don't you think? IMO even joke songs were "punker" whatever it means :P
I like some though... WDYGAJ is cool but I hate Spare me the details or worst hangover...

Free?
06-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Okay, we got your point by now I guess ;) .
You dream about Offspring forcing themselves to make an album that would sound like Ignition, actually back to the young days sound.
But there is nothing much more to add to that, so people start talking about not sharing your dream or not, but about how is it real or how the band evolved or any other things that somehow are related to that.
If people wouldn't say all of that, It would be a thread of "Yes, I share your dream" and "No, I don't share your dream".
Anyway, I believe that RAFRAG will give you loads of satisfaction, and it's very probable that there will be many songs with Ignition riffs.
P.S.: Why Don't You Get A Job is more than a joke/silly song coz it has some solid message, it's easy to sing along and people repeating it can't miss what they are singing about. That's the greatness of slow simple songs, they can draw attention of most people, including those who aren't into punk / rock / music.

gabrielpatriarca
06-01-2008, 04:44 AM
It's totally ok not to agree with me and say it... I just don't want offenses.

But some(few) people do agree with me... they just don't believe it'll ever happen. But the future is a mystery to us all hehe

Alison
06-01-2008, 04:52 AM
I totally agree with you.
Even if they went back to the old ixnay on the hombre sound, but so far the new album does sound less like the whole post-americana style, so I'm happy enough.

Smash punker
06-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Hey guys the Offy punkers are back on the set with RFRG! What else do you want? Noodles is acting like a 20 years old kid! At least something! :D

Jaded skies
06-06-2008, 08:13 AM
I totally agree with you.
Even if they went back to the old ixnay on the hombre sound, but so far the new album does sound less like the whole post-americana style, so I'm happy enough.
really? i was relating songs to which cd they would be on and almost all of them were CO1 and splinter.

h2ocean
06-06-2008, 09:09 AM

disagree. Their albums have songs like this (Conspiracy of One, Trust in You, etc). If they can do one song like that, technically they could just make a whole album like that. So it's not impossible. Now would they want to do that? probably not. It would be awesome but I would never expect them to. It's their music they can do what they want with it. Everything they have done on the new album is good/great, except I am not crazy about their slower "Denial Revisited"-esque songs. But oh well.

I disagree with the original statement that they saw an opportunity to make money, and that changing from the way things sounded on Ignition was necessary to do so. The was little/no evidence of that on Smash or Ixnay.

gabrielpatriarca
06-06-2008, 09:45 AM
you're right! trust in you kicks ass!! If only they wanted to make a whole album full of that joys...

Unnatural Disaster
06-06-2008, 10:04 AM
disagree. except I am not crazy about their slower "Denial Revisited"-esque songs. But oh well.

Denial, Revisited is an undeniably great song. My 2nd favorite on that album.

ThunderPX
06-06-2008, 11:20 AM

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. "Smash" is not an acronym. It's just the word "Smash." Why do you insist on pretending it's an acronym in every single post you make?

Manic Subsida
06-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Well, yeah, it would be great. ^^

IamSam
06-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm not going to lie to you, if they made another 'punk' album that contained only power chords and the same 'boom-chick-boom-chick-boom-chick' drum beat with a ride cymbal thrown in I'd be both bored and saddened by their lack of creativity after all the strides they've made.

jacknife737
06-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm not going to lie to you, if they made another 'punk' album that contained only power chords and the same 'boom-chick-boom-chick-boom-chick' drum beat with a ride cymbal thrown in I'd be both bored and saddened by their lack of creativity after all the strides they've made.

This is so true. They no doubt could put out an album that contained nothing but clones of All I Want, but then they would be another melodic punk band like Pennywise. Now I love Pennywise, but i don't want the Offspring to become like them, they're unique and they should stay that way.

bighead384
06-06-2008, 03:12 PM
This is so true. They no doubt could put out an album that contained nothing but clones of All I Want, but then they would be another melodic punk band like Pennywise. Now I love Pennywise, but i don't want the Offspring to become like them, they're unique and they should stay that way.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think you can compare them to Pennywise. They've already shown a lot more diversity than Pennywise, and are in no danger of becoming stagnant.

jacknife737
06-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I see what you're saying, but I don't think you can compare them to Pennywise. They've already shown a lot more diversity than Pennywise, and are in no danger of becoming stagnant.

Yes, but if they put out an album that was nothing but 3 chord punk, i'd say that they had become stagnant.

Out on Patrol
06-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I love Ignition, i think it's their best album, but those are good times we can't repeat.
Everything changes, for good or bad.

I would like to hear another album as good as that one.
But, otherwise, it would be too boring always listening to the same kind of sound, wouldn't it?

gabrielpatriarca
06-06-2008, 04:36 PM
So gabby boy how does it feel to put three dots in the middle of every sentence you make

-> Ignition for the win, the best album they made

well... it's like... you know?