PDA

View Full Version : Dexter on Kristy, are you doing okay?

Jesus
06-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Original german article scanned by Beheaded on theoffspring.de:
http://fadedmemories.de/Bilder/Forum/kristy.png

My translation:
"Kristy is about sexual coercion/molestation and is based on a true story. When I was younger, I knew a girl that was abused. I don't know whether I am the first musician to write about this subject, because it is obviously very delicate and anything but easy to make a song about such a complex theme. I also think or hope that this song speaks to other victims and can help them to talk or come out about their problem"

There you go.

ad8
06-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks! I can only agree to the translation.

(Hey, you have 888 posts ;))

medi01
06-03-2008, 08:51 AM
well...it's different for a song topic......have to wait to hear it in full to judge

randman21
06-03-2008, 08:53 AM

rofl

I guess this is a little different than I thought. I'm trying to figure if I know any songs about this topic, but I can't think of any. I'm sure someone has written one, though. Thanks for the translation, Jeez.

Jesus
06-03-2008, 08:53 AM

Not anymore! Too much of a hassle to delete an old post every time I post a new one. I might do it again if I reach 999 or so.

Good to see my German isn't too bad! (native Dutch speaker here).

Jesus
06-03-2008, 08:59 AM
rofl

I guess this is a little different than I thought. I'm trying to figure if I know any songs about this topic, but I can't think of any. I'm sure someone has written one, though. Thanks for the translation, Jeez.

Yeah I guess most people thought it would be some kind of romance/love song or so about an ex.

Fistfuck party at 701 (http://lyrics.umka.org/lyrics-heideroosjes/fistfuck-party-at-701.html) by De Heideroosjes is a song about child molestation, not so subtle though...

Beheaded
06-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Original german article scanned by Beheaded on theoffspring.de:
http://fadedmemories.de/Bilder/Forum/kristy.png

My translation:
"Kristy is about sexual coercion/molestation and is based on a true story. When I was younger, I knew a girl that was abused. I don't know whether I am the first musician to write about this subject, because it is obviously very delicate and anything but easy to make a song about such a complex theme. I also think or hope that this song speaks to other victims and can help them to talk or come out about their problem"

There you go.
Bist du zufällig da angemeldet? ;)
Wie isn dein Username?

Jesus
06-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Bist du zufällig da angemeldet? ;)
Wie isn dein Username?

No, I'm just a lurker ;). I'm Belgian (Dutch speaking part). I'm able to read and understand German (because it's quite similar). I'm just not that great at writing and speaking it. Like if I had to answer to you in German I'd say this: Ich habe keine username, ich bin ein zuschauer. Which is just simplistic German with errors! :D

hshduppsnt
06-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Man both Hammerhead and this have been sorta twisted topics...
I can't wait to hear all of these songs - you can tell they've at least put a lot of effort and thought into it (4 years of effort and thought if you want a ballpark figure)

Beheaded
06-03-2008, 09:11 AM
No, I'm just a lurker ;). I'm Belgian (Dutch speaking part). I'm able to read and understand German (because it's quite similar). I'm just not that great at writing and speaking it. Like if I had to answer to you in German I'd say this: Ich habe keine username, ich bin ein zuschauer. Which is just simplistic German with errors! :D

Ahhh cool, a voyeur.^_^
Great dude. Hope you still watching all the time. ;)

Ryder1234
06-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Man both Hammerhead and this have been sorta twisted topics...
I can't wait to hear all of these songs - you can tell they've at least put a lot of effort and thought into it (4 years of effort and thought if you want a ballpark figure)

and now both are the two singles :rolleyes:

holland25
06-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Exploited - Sick Bastard is about child molestation too.

Little_Miss_1565
06-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Dude. Heavy. Looking forward to hearing the song.

nieh
06-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't know whether I am the first musician to write about this subject

Janie's got a Gun! Although I'm sure there were more earlier than that as well.

hshduppsnt
06-03-2008, 09:34 AM

I know... 14 days... only.14.more.days....

Camilamazed
06-03-2008, 09:35 AM

Same here.

It made my waiting even worse. =\

Little_Miss_1565
06-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Janie's got a Gun! Although I'm sure there were more earlier than that as well.

Snap! Yes.

jacknife737
06-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Wow, interesting topic. This album seems like it's going to be really deep.

Conspiracyof1000
06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
I think this album is going to be great.
And June 17 is just around the corner. I'm glad I got a job so I can be distracted by thinking about stocking crates of beer instead of lurking here, talking about the album. Can't wait!

Offspring-Junkie
06-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Ahhh cool, a voyeur.^_^
Great dude. Hope you still watching all the time. ;)
Immer noch auf der Suche nach neuen Forum Mitgliedern?;)
Edit: To the topic: I think I can imagine now how Dexter came up with the lyrics to "She's got issues". I hope I'm not right, though.

NotTheOne_NL
06-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah I guess most people thought it would be some kind of romance/love song or so about an ex.

Fistfuck party at 701 (http://lyrics.umka.org/lyrics-heideroosjes/fistfuck-party-at-701.html) by De Heideroosjes is a song about child molestation, not so subtle though...

Great song!!

RonWelty
06-04-2008, 07:43 AM
this song is fuckin nice!

camilo andres
06-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Pedophilia and child sexual abuse is an interesting theme for a song. But there is a million songs before Krsity.... I just remember some ones:

-Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me by Motörhead, from Bastards

-I’m Not Jesus by Apocalyptica, from thier last album Worlds Collide

-Daddy by Korn

-Janie's Got a Gun by Aerosmith, from Pump

-Mr. Tinkertrain by Ozzy Osbourne

-Polly by Nirvana, from Nevermind

-Wrong Way by Sublime

Those are the only ones I remember right now, great songs for a such a difficult an sad theme. I havent heard Kristy.. but I know itll be a great song.

SaiKYoU
06-04-2008, 11:53 AM
i fucking like the topics teh albums is abaout... great, some serious music...

holland25
06-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I fell in love with this song.

SaiKYoU
06-05-2008, 04:09 AM
fuck, i've just logined to say...

"jennifer lost the war"

gomita
06-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Although the song has a good intention, it still sucks.

I hate offspring´s new album.
It was a scam showing hammerhead as a first single for such a shitty album.:(

brothadave79
06-13-2008, 04:10 PM

Weird. I was in awe of the flexibility they showed while keeping true to themselves. The music is catchy and familiar to the Offspring vibe, and the lyrics are top notch. Dexter hasn't written words for his songs as well as this in well over a decade. For me lyrics can make or break a song, and maybe that's why I've fallen in love with this album so much. Songs like Kristy where the melody and message matched up so well really spoke to me when I first heard them, and they continue to do so. Honestly, I was moved.

IamSam
06-13-2008, 04:12 PM

First off, welcome to the board.

Secondly, I'm not going to like you one little bit, am I?

camilo andres
06-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Well, every one have their own opinion.

I think is a great album, some songs like Kristy sounds a little bit pop but I still believe is a great material. I give a 9.8 to the album, not a 10 but almost.

Maybe you change change your mind the second and the third time you hear the album. It always happen to me with lots of albums, the first time I say I dont like some parts but later I realize the real sense of the music. So try to listen it once again.

jacknife737
06-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Secondly, I'm not going to like you one little bit, am I?

Probably not.

yellow
06-15-2008, 12:49 PM
"jennifer lost the war" is the first song that dexter writes about sexsual abuse. he shows compassion in the "kristy" song and was harsh on jennifer's song

oh_strange_one
06-15-2008, 12:57 PM
havent heard song yet (roll on tomoz) but i love the lyrics to the song simple but brill its a hard subject to write a song on but i think the offspring did a good job, with it hope the song sounds as good aswell:)

yellow
06-15-2008, 01:20 PM
i know in the kristy song he had good intentions, but in the jennifer song there seemed to be negative intentions.
i dont think dexter should write on things he cant really understand or comprehend. a healing song would have been better!

Little_Miss_1565
06-15-2008, 01:23 PM
"jennifer lost the war" is the first song that dexter writes about sexsual abuse. he shows compassion in the "kristy" song and was harsh on jennifer's song

i know in the kristy song he had good intentions, but in the jennifer song there seemed to be negative intentions.
i dont think dexter should write on things he cant really understand or comprehend. a healing song would have been better!

Yellow, I think you are completely misunderstanding "Jennifer." the only harshness he showed in the lyrics was towards the people who weren't helping the girls he talks about in the songs--the people who were content to let the news be just another statistic. He was actually showing a lot of anger that these things were allowed to happen to these girls. He wasn't negative towards them at all.

oh_strange_one
06-15-2008, 01:25 PM
i wouldnt say they are harsh, they more explain about how harsh this world is and how things can go unnoticed when we are to busy to stop and listen which is sad but true there are a lot of people who are too busy to stop and pick someone who has fallen or like in the song help someone who has being abused

i dunno thats just my opinion

yellow
06-15-2008, 01:47 PM
he makes it seem like it was her fault, that she did something wrong and deserved punishment and was being judged for it. i will reread the lyrics and see if i misunderstood. maybe next time he will work with a muse and write a song that helps women heal

oh_strange_one
06-15-2008, 01:59 PM
he makes it seem like it was her fault, that she did something wrong and deserved punishment and was being judged for it. i will reread the lyrics and see if i misunderstood. maybe next time he will work with a muse and write a song that helps women heal

i think its more that hes not pushing blame on her but saying the worlds a shit place when things like that happen and that basically peope are always saying sorry but once it is done it is done and an apology isnt much and cant fix anything do u know what i mean ?!?

the losing the war part i would say is more that after what is done, apologies arent going to help anything therefore shes lost the war

i suppose lyrics and any kind of writing though mean what ever the reader understands them as everyone has own opinion though i do get wot u mean just not the way i read them :)

yellow
06-15-2008, 02:42 PM
i dont understand the song at all. i dont agree that jennifer lost the war, i think the fuckers who raped and burned her lost the war. and i thought soldiers were suppose to protect the people.
wheres jennifers apology? dexter tells kristy he is sorry

jacknife737
06-15-2008, 02:47 PM
i dont understand the song at all. i dont agree that jennifer lost the war, i think the fuckers who raped and burned her lost the war. and i thought soldiers were suppose to protect the people.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but is English your first language? Because sometimes these things may be kind of lost in translation.

Dexter sympathizers with Jennifer, but the purpose of the song is to point out how society deals with these issues ie "nobody really cares today...". Exactly like Little_Miss mentioned, that his harshness isn't directed towards Jennifer but rather those who ignore the problem. You seem to be taking the song too literally.

Rutegard
06-15-2008, 03:01 PM

no she lost the war because she died....(war=life)
and we are all soldiers because we are at war, we all are living...and because we all are living we are afraid of loosing our life...which means loosing the war....it's just an analogy, a metaphor....

and he never said that that shit happened because she deserved or it was her fault...no no...exactly the opposite....he even say..."will the morning headlines EVEN said that it's a shame?".....he's angry at the world because nobody cares, because the world it's too busy to care!

that's what i understand and it makes sense to me..

and how do you know that dexter does not know what he is talking about....we never know those things....never for sure...

oh_strange_one
06-15-2008, 03:40 PM
yeah i agree with ruteguard :)

Rutegard
06-15-2008, 03:41 PM
yeah i agree with ruteguard :)

thanks for getting my point

i'm really disturbed...how someone didn't get it...it's just because i really think the message is so clear!!

oh_strange_one
06-15-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks for getting my point

i'm really disturbed...how someone didn't get it...it's just because i really think the message is so clear!!

yeah i agree but alot of lyrics can carry out different msges to different ppl its not ignorance its just different understanding

in my opinion if u listen carefully u can tell the anger all way through i never aimed at the victim but at those who refuse to help

Rutegard
06-15-2008, 03:52 PM
yeah i agree but alot of lyrics can carry out different msges to different ppl its not ignorance its just different understanding

in my opinion if u listen carefully u can tell the anger all way through i never aimed at the victim but at those who refuse to help

yeah yeah i get the point exactly!!! i'm not saying it's ignorance...i'm just saying that in this particular song i don't see another interpetation...that's all :P

and yeah you can tell the RAGE that's why it is my fav song on that album (and beheaded and crossroads) :P

it's powerfull!!

oh_strange_one
06-15-2008, 03:55 PM
yeah yeah i get the point exactly!!! i'm not saying it's ignorance...i'm just saying that in this particular song i don't see another interpetation...that's all :P

and yeah you can tell the RAGE that's why it is my fav song on that album (and beheaded and crossroads) :P

it's powerfull!!

its one of my faves aswell i liked their debut album it was really raw i liked crossroads and i'll be waiting aswell they are great:)

Rutegard
06-15-2008, 03:59 PM
its one of my faves aswell i liked their debut album it was really raw i liked crossroads and i'll be waiting aswell they are great:)

get ready!!

they'll rock you out!!

prepare yourself!!

Little_Miss_1565
06-15-2008, 05:09 PM

no she lost the war because she died....(war=life)
and we are all soldiers because we are at war, we all are living...and because we all are living we are afraid of loosing our life...which means loosing the war....it's just an analogy, a metaphor....

and he never said that that shit happened because she deserved or it was her fault...no no...exactly the opposite....he even say..."will the morning headlines EVEN said that it's a shame?".....he's angry at the world because nobody cares, because the world it's too busy to care!

that's what i understand and it makes sense to me..

and how do you know that dexter does not know what he is talking about....we never know those things....never for sure...

Nicely put, Rutegard.

I agree with what was said earlier--Yellow, is English your first language? A lot of Dexter's lyrics aren't meant to be taken literally. He uses a lot of sarcasm, a lot of figurative language, and means things slantways a lot of times.

Homer
06-15-2008, 05:18 PM
"I don't know whether I am the first musician to write about this subject, because it is obviously very delicate and anything but easy to make a song about such a complex theme."

This was probably a mis-translation/mis-quotation, because I certainly don't think Dexter's that naive.

Jesus
06-16-2008, 01:49 AM
This was probably a mis-translation/mis-quotation, because I certainly don't think Dexter's that naive.

Could be that the magazine made a mistranslation or didn't understand what he was actually saying.
Because the song is from his perspective (how to act around a victim or how to deal with the situation), not from the victim's perspective. While most of the aforementioned songs aren't from that perspective. He was probably talking about that.

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Could be that the magazine made a mistranslation or didn't understand what he was actually saying.
Because the song is from his perspective (how to act around a victim or how to deal with the situation), not from the victim's perspective. While most of the aforementioned songs aren't from that perspective. He was probably talking about that.

yeah

makes sense!

Mushroom
06-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I thought this song was good when I heard it, but not amazing. Then I read this and listened to again, playing close attention to the lyrics.

Tears were welling up in my eyes.

Bravo Dexter, Bravo.

One thing confuses me though, why use the name Kristy? That just make all us fans think it's about his wife, which I don't think it is.

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I thought this song was good when I heard it, but not amazing. Then I read this and listened to again, playing close attention to the lyrics.

Bravo Dexter, Bravo.

One thing confuses me though, why use the name Kristy? That just make all us fans think it's about his wife, which I don't think it is.

maybe it's because it goes well with the song...

findout5
06-16-2008, 12:32 PM
When I was just a liitle boy I used to fantasize about going to Brazil and being kidnapped by these really hot semi-nude Amazonian chicks that would totally molest me...humn...so many years have passed and sometimes I still think about it...should I go to the Shrink??

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 01:15 PM
When I was just a liitle boy I used to fantasize about going to Brazil and being kidnapped by these really hot semi-nude Amazonian chicks that would totally molest me...humn...so many years have passed and sometimes I still think about it...should I go to the Shrink??

no!

everything's just fine with you

Capricorn4
06-16-2008, 01:25 PM

Bravo Dexter, Bravo.

I still think Kristy is just a random name.

Rooster
06-16-2008, 01:56 PM

DO NOT GO TO THE SHRINK, I REPEAT: DO NOT GO TO THE SHRINK!

However, if that kidnapping really happens, let me know and tell me the exact location where they kept you....and then i'll let myself be kidnapped by them:D:D:D

Now back to the topic. Kristy is a really good song. Not one of my favourites, but still good, although it was quite a surprise to hear a song like that from them (not that they are not capable of writing such songs). It is a good example of how much they have grown up and how much their lyrics improved.

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 02:51 PM
DO NOT GO TO THE SHRINK, I REPEAT: DO NOT GO TO THE SHRINK!

However, if that kidnapping really happens, let me know and tell me the exact location where they kept you....and then i'll let myself be kidnapped by them:D:D:D

Now back to the topic. Kristy is a really good song. Not one of my favourites, but still good, although it was quite a surprise to hear a song like that from them (not that they are not capable of writing such songs). It is a good example of how much they have grown up and how much their lyrics improved.

LOLOL

you guys...

we girls are worse :P

findout5
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I do think girls are worse lol
But that does not make me less demented/horny lol :P

ASC
07-05-2008, 11:43 AM

Bravo Dexter, Bravo.

maybe the girls name was actually kristy

jacknife737
07-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Dexter has been quoted in interviews stating that the name was just "random".

leo3375
07-05-2008, 12:05 PM

No, it's not. He said in another interview that her named was changed for the song to protect her privacy. It's pure coincidence that the name he picked out is a shortened version of his wife's name.

Rutegard
07-05-2008, 02:19 PM
No, it's not. He said in another interview that her named was changed for the song to protect her privacy. It's pure coincidence that the name he picked out is a shortened version of his wife's name.

yeah and it makes sense!!

we do understand :P

Jojan
07-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Bob Kelso just quit his job. :( He loved that place, but he won't miss it.

Bodom J
07-05-2008, 08:25 PM
i can't believe people actually need to hear dexter explain the song. i figured the lyrics were enough to understand....

The Search Button
07-06-2008, 05:43 AM
i can't believe people actually need to hear dexter explain the song. i figured the lyrics were enough to understand....

People are dumb.

Rutegard
07-06-2008, 09:10 AM
fucked up people lol

they did the same about jennifer