PDA

View Full Version : What you don't like about them?

shanna_guarana
06-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I think we spoke about why we love Offs....is there anything you would like them to change? Something you don't really like about them?

keonii7
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
The new pop-ness of their new album. A whole lot of it is pop. Not punk.

Amiralanal
06-03-2008, 04:36 PM
The new pop-ness of their new album. A whole lot of it is pop. Not punk.

Yeah, american kids are punk-experts.

Free?
06-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't like Dexter being fat. I know it's not important thing, but he was much hotter before. That's the biggest negative thing I can say about them right now :p
Oh yeah... I don't like that Ron left. Yupp :( ...

T_immortal
06-03-2008, 04:59 PM
I don't like Dexter being fat. I know it's not important thing, but he was much hotter before. That's the biggest negative thing I can say about them right now :p

Well Dexter has lost some weight, I mean he's looking a lot better than he did during summer sonic last year, and come on he's like 42 and can still crank out vocals like no body's business, and the fact that Ron left bugged me for a while, but I'm over it now and Pete Parada is an awesome drummer! :D

RonWelty
06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey Guys, don't miss me, iīm right here :D

JUST JOKING

commonrider5447
06-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Well before this album I would have said I dont like how they release all these poppy singles that sound nothing like the rest of the CD, I bet alot of new listeners feel dupped, I remember reading a review of someone who bought Splinter for Hit That and was shocked how the rest of the CD sounded and felt mislead by the single.

But for this CD they released a song the represents the album well, so im happy :D

SmashMyBadHabit
06-03-2008, 05:32 PM
That it takes 5 years for an album.

brothadave79
06-03-2008, 05:43 PM

Quoted for truth.

RageAndLov
06-03-2008, 06:08 PM
im quite amazed that Dexter's voice is as good as it aways has been after all these years!

What I don't like about Offspring is that they have a fjortisspunk song called Want You Bad! It sounds like a Blink 182 or a Good Charlotte song! Yuck!
And I don't like that Dexter's hair ain't spikey anymore :P
And Noodles should reeeally cut his hair!

brian.offspring
06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
nop . . i like them as they are . . .

Ninty Man
06-03-2008, 06:39 PM
That I'm not their drummer :mad:

ferr.offspring
06-03-2008, 06:40 PM
anything, just love them as they are :D

keonii7
06-03-2008, 06:45 PM

The Offspring were American kids when they started playing their punk.
They had really good stuff then.

The album has a lot of pop music on it. I don't know how to deny that.

darkfire6661
06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
there not soical enough, they need to have Greg K, and pete talk more

Little_Miss_1565
06-03-2008, 06:58 PM
The album has a lot of pop music on it. I don't know how to deny that.

Why should you deny that? Who cares?

keonii7
06-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Why should you deny that? Who cares?

I agree.

Then again, I like punk better than pop, so that's just my opinion, which I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to express.

tylercosgrove1989
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM
I agree.

Then again, I like punk better than pop, so that's just my opinion, which I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to express.

I'm with you on that. However, the pop doesnt bug me because it seems like there are some solid punk riffs in the songs. Sure they go different ways and a lot of it's poppy, but it's damned good music to me. I'm happy. I think it's looking up to be one of my favorite albums. I like how every Offspring album is way different than the others. The way they went with this one intrigues me. And the studio version of "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" makes me want to.......yes I'm going to say it.....DANCE. Then some makes me want to go see them live again and mosh. I'm overall just excited. June 17th seems so far away...but I've been waiting for about 5 years so I can make it, I know I can.

IamSam
06-03-2008, 11:08 PM
I agree.

IMO, 'pop' music is music that is 'popular.' The album hasn't released yet, so how is it popular before anyone has head it?

That, and last I checked, the most popular types of music in America right now are rap, actual pop-stars, and Hannah Montana. Where does The Offspring fall into this? The alternative rock area. I think that is the genre you are implying by saying 'pop.'

T_immortal
06-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah I really don't feel like waiting till 2013 for their next release :(, 3 albums in 8 years is not very productive lol, I hope 2 years tops is what it takes to hear their next studio work :)

Conspiracyof1000
06-04-2008, 12:28 AM
IMO, 'pop' music is music that is 'popular.' The album hasn't released yet, so how is it popular before anyone has head it?

That, and last I checked, the most popular types of music in America right now are rap, actual pop-stars, and Hannah Montana. Where does The Offspring fall into this? The alternative rock area. I think that is the genre you are implying by saying 'pop.'

I'm pretty sure they fall into the "Hannah Montana" category. :)
Seriously, though, I don't like how Dexter bleaches his hair. I was watching "Where is he Now?" and I noticed how much more I like Dexter when his hair is natural.
I also don't like how they hardly play old songs at concerts. I've never been to one, but when they actually start their tour after the album comes out I want to hear Jennifer Lost the War, not Pretty Fly.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Then again, I like punk better than pop
And I like good music better than bad music.

danitanev
06-04-2008, 12:45 AM
I don't like that they are too cool, Dexter is too smart, They are too good in doing what they do and I really don't like The Offspring! You know just: "I don't like nothing and I like that fine! Yeah, I hate everything I even hate you too, so fuck you!"

skoko
06-04-2008, 01:40 AM
i realy love there music, but...

... i donīt like that there concerts are too short and that they donīt play songs from s/t or ignition. o.k., noodles said that they are crowd-killers, but who cares when they play 24 instead of 22 songs including 2 old songs?!?!?! perhaps people who didnīt know the old songs think "hey, that sounds a little different, where is this from? oh, itīs from there early album ignition. mmh, i think iīll buy it"

and i also donīt like the greatest hits album, it was kind of uninspired in my opinion. put just the singles since smash on it and make one new song?! not sooo creative... o.k., the dirty magic accoustic was a gift for the fans, but i wished they did something more...

now donīt be pissed, but that are the two thinks i donīt like about them. anyway, they are my most fav band!!!

Jesus
06-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Their whiny fans on their forum.

Free?
06-04-2008, 03:14 AM

I agree with you, and let's continue your idea. If the band makes a totally non-poppy record, but it becomes popular, would it be right to label it as pop? Shouldn't bands try to become big, spread their message and stay some unknown tru band? Bullshit. People need to get over that, denying an artist just because he became succesfull, complaining about sellouts and listening only to "what they think are" true bands doesn't make you TRVE.
I strongly believe that the only real attribute (i'm not sure bout this word, had to use translator :D) that can judge about album being poppy or not is it's message, song lyrics. And it also depends on your opinion, do you accept the album message as pop or not. And it has nothing to do with being multi-platinum or 2k copies sold.

Jesus
06-04-2008, 03:50 AM
I personally classify "pop" generally in 3 ways:

1) What's popular at the moment
2) Basically manufactured music by a label/manger. Hire writers, hire background musicians, hire someone to be the face of the act etc.
3) Something that it's ridiculously catchy and you know you'll be stuck with it in your head all day after hearing it.

What genre it is doesn't really matter. Some people here seem to classify soft or slower songs as pop songs, which is something that I fail to understand and consider to be pretty ridiculous.

For what it's worth by using my third classification, Ignition is The Offspring's most pop record in my opinion (with Kick Him When He's Down, No Hero, LAPD, Nothing From Something and Dirty Magic being the best examples of that catchyness). It's also my favorite record by them for a variety of reasons.

Just to say that defining pop is pretty impossible, it's like.... defining punk OMG! Who cares.

dff_punk
06-04-2008, 03:55 AM
I hate that my friends think they're dead.
Me: I like The Offspring.
Them: Offspring? Are they still alive?

holland25
06-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Hmm, another endless neverending bitching about what is pop and what is not...

Free?
06-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Hmm, another endless neverending bitching about what is pop and what is not...

None was bitching so far, just some guy said that he doesn't like Offspring for having pop songs and some people explain what they think pop is. And I don't agree that there will be any real pop songs on RAFRAG, especially with opinions based on some short clips. Why should I keep being silent?

holland25
06-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Bitching wasn't a very good word to express it. I just wanted to say that this conversation repeats again and again, and still noone accept the other side's opinion.

[[Meli.x]]
06-04-2008, 04:35 AM
I don't see what all this fuss is about, good music is good music regardless of it's genre. Personally the only one thing I don't like about them is that they don't make albums fast enough =D
The Offsprings music is so varied in styles and meanings that it would be hard not to like at least 5 of them.
lets put it this way... look at the difference beween I Choose and Vultures... it would be hard to believe they were both written and sung by the same group of people.
As for all of this about whats pop and what isnt... who cares!? I'm sure I'm not the only person who can listen to Low by flo rida and then Perfect by Flyleaf straight after eachother in the same playlist and still enjoy listening to them both equally. its the same for the offspring... my "pop" music, using its original sense of the word is The Offspring, Seether and Marilyn Manson. whereas my best friends "pop" music is Mika, Nickelback and Vanessa whats-her-face from high school musical, however my boyfriends "pop" music is Elliot Minor, Green Day and Bowling For soup. everyones Popular music is different according to their own personal tastes... and the offspring are one of those bands that can be apreciated by people who listen to all genres.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Intresting thread...I love these guys, i can't say any negativity. It's better that they use some metalriffs, and their "pop-stuff" isn't so pop. Maybe Dex should lose some weight; personally i don't care if he's fat or not, but some ppl do

shanna_guarana
06-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Dexter's getting old,...splinter and it's stupid songs....

darea
06-04-2008, 05:57 AM

Yeah me too. I keep saying that what I really don't like is Ron not being there... :(

Jesus
06-04-2008, 05:58 AM
That they just have deleted the topic about the previews (the open one that had a zillion comments), but kept the closed one. Couldn't they have just closed that topic too without deleting it....

medi01
06-04-2008, 06:20 AM
1. Noodles shud cut his hair
2. Greg K shud talk and not be silent pretty much all the time
3. Ron shudn't have left (i have nothin against pete though)
4. they shudn't have spent 5 years on one album...its way OTT
5. they shud do a b-sides album

there not problems...just improvements

Pepsaj
06-04-2008, 06:26 AM
That they just have deleted the topic about the previews (the open one that had a zillion comments), but kept the closed one. Couldn't they have just closed that topic too without deleting it....
And I was wondering where is this topic? I was affraid that something bad happened to my mind :D relax :D

maxiloader
06-04-2008, 06:35 AM
im quite amazed that Dexter's voice is as good as it aways has been after all these years!

What I don't like about Offspring is that they have a fjortisspunk song called Want You Bad! It sounds like a Blink 182 or a Good Charlotte song! Yuck!
And I don't like that Dexter's hair ain't spikey anymore :P
And Noodles should reeeally cut his hair!

Haha, "fjortisspunk"

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 06:55 AM
I don't like their excuse for not playing old stuff. I mean, they're worried about the fans who don't know old songs, but what about hardcore fans that die for one of those songs live???

They would think of us for a change. WE WANT SONGS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN PLAYED LIVE BEFORE.

:mad:

Pepsaj
06-04-2008, 07:00 AM
I don't like the fact that they are not coming to Poland this year. And I have no oppurtunity to listen ANY of their song live...

Offspring-Junkie
06-04-2008, 07:00 AM
I don't like that Ron left.
I don't like that they need so much time for an album.
Well, I think that's it. I love their music, style, that they're popular just to a certain degree (at least here in europe), every album, the members and their merch stuff. I'm mostly satisfied. What I like most about them, is that they still rock on stage and that they didn't split up. Respect.

Hypodermic_89
06-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Fuck this thread. Fuck this thread up the ass. It's such a fucking downer.

Pepsaj
06-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Beside that everything is ok?...

The Search Button
06-04-2008, 07:11 AM

Chill out, man.

TheOffspring's fans are hard to please.

That only results in the band having to be better all the time.

We profit too.

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 07:11 AM

What???

Were there links to download the previews?

That must be the reason.

Pepsaj
06-04-2008, 07:13 AM
What???

Were there links to download the previews?

That must be the reason.
As far as I know, there were no possibility to download previews.

Jesus
06-04-2008, 07:14 AM
The topic is back now, it was a mistake. I posted a link with the previews ( I'm an asshole) to a well known streaming site, but instead of deleting my post some well known Dutch mod deleted the topic by mistake. But it's been brought back now though! So it's sort of my own fault.

Hypodermic_89
06-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Chill out, man.

TheOffspring's fans are hard to please.

That only results in the band having to be better all the time.

We profit too.
Why the fuck should someone make a thread that's based on listing The Offspring's flaws? No point to it, it's not like they're gonna change into fucking Ignition or Smash again anyway.

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Yes there were. I have no idea how but people at the Brazilian community had a link with all the previews.

I'm totally against it and also the links to download RAFRAG if it leaks, but people complained. I don't know If I should not allow people to post such links. I'm the only one against it.

=X

The Search Button
06-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Yes there were. I have no idea how but people at the Brazilian community had a link with all the previews.

I'm totally against it and also the links to download RAFRAG if it leaks, but people complained. I don't know If I should not allow people to post such links. I'm the only one against it.

=X

It's all over the-net too, so there you go.

World Wide Web owns once again.

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 07:19 AM
It's all over YouTube too, so there you go.

World Wide Web owns once again.

Indeed.

PS:Jesus, don't say that about Mods. They've got the power! You don't want to be banned, do you?

=P

Jesus
06-04-2008, 07:24 AM
I was refering in third person to myself, but yeah indeed that could be wrongly read. I'll edit it.

@ The Search Button: Don't mention the sites where the previews can be found, just be cryptic or something like that. Or we could just not mention them at all obviously.

Alex101
06-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Same here. That wait was just not great.

Cock Joke
06-04-2008, 09:04 AM
They gotta go back to handing out free beer in concert!!!

Manic Subsida
06-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Well, I'm almost all positive. ^^

But one thing...I wanted more punk-ROCK songs on the new album than POP-punk. But ok, we haven't heard the songs yet (just 30 seconds, and the songs could be totally different), so maybe it's more punk-rock? Anyway, I think it's sounds good with pop-punk too, it's Offspring you know. ; D

Manic Subsida
06-04-2008, 10:01 AM
..and I REALLY like "Trust In You" - wish they had more songs oike that too.
But it's ok, I think it's gonna be a great album. ^^

MOTO13
06-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Good point. Sweden is the mecca of punk music...:rolleyes: