PDA

View Full Version : Offspring - international

Pepsaj
06-04-2008, 08:32 AM
I was wondering if you like the idea of writing the word "Offspring" in many languages. I'm just curious how to say "Offspring" in Swedish for example.

So let me be the first one.

Polish word:
Offspring = Potomek.

Jesus
06-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Dutch:
The Offspring=De Nakomelingen or De Nazaten

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Well..

Os Filhos

I mean, there are some other words. I'm curious now about the word in Portuguese from Portugal, where's RonWelty?

RonWelty
06-04-2008, 08:37 AM
OFFSPRING = Prole ( Portuguese )

RonWelty
06-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Well..

Os Filhos

I mean, there are some other words. I'm curious now about the word in Portuguese from Portugal, where's RonWelty?

I'm right here :D

Tonza
06-04-2008, 08:38 AM
The languages I speak:

Finnish: jälkikasvu
Swedish: ursprung

The Search Button
06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
OFFSPRING = Prole ( Portuguese )

WTF?

Prole? Really?

What about "descendência" or "geração"?

And yes i checked the dictionary.

Jesus
06-04-2008, 08:41 AM
The Swedes win once again. Except Euro 2008.

RonWelty
06-04-2008, 08:42 AM
WTF?

Prole? Really?

"descendencia" has an english word, but could work too. "geração" -> generation.

I think "Prole" is the better option for "OFFSPRING".

Dexter_italy
06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
it's the same as in italian!

Prole :D
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_bike_is_quicker_kawasaki_zx_-14_or_suzuki_hayabusa)

The Search Button
06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
"descendencia" has an english word, but could work too. "geração" -> generation.

I think "Prole" is the better option for "OFFSPRING".

I agree.

It's just that "prole" is such and uncommon word.

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 08:46 AM
WTF?

Prole? Really?

Whoa! You're a fellow Portuguese Speaker!

If you look up Offspring at the dictionary you will find out that "Prole", "Filhos" or "Descendentes" are all the same.

As in Child=Kid! Different words for the sme thing.

RonWelty
06-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I agree.

It's just that "prole" is such and uncommon word.

yeah, but even "OFFSPRING" is in English.

RonWelty
06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Fuck ME! You're a fellow Portuguese Speaker!

If you look up Offspring at the dictionary you will find out that "Prole", "Filhos" or "Descendentes" are all the same.

i´m not an expert, camila, but Geração/ Filhos it´s not the same. They´re almost the same, but no quite exactly the same.

Yes, but Child is a coloquial word, Kid is a popular word, i don't know if you understand this.

Portuguese of Portugal is a odd language to understand because it has a lot of tricks and exceptions...

Jesus
06-04-2008, 08:50 AM
He's gonna take that fuck me thing literally and I don't know if he's of legal age yet. So watch out, otherwise Chris Hansen might knock on your door.

Wouldn't you use Descendência for the Descendents?

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 08:51 AM
i´m not an expert, camila, but Geração/ Filhos it´s not the same. They´re almost the same, but no quite exactly the same.

I agree with you. I don't think Generation is appropriate because you cannot ask people how many generations they have.

But the thing is that I try to explain that to some people and they just won't believe and call me a stuck-up Ms Know-it-all.. (Which I definitely ain't).

RonWelty
06-04-2008, 08:52 AM
He's gonna take that fuck me thing literally and I don't know if he's of legal age yet. So watch out, otherwise Chris Hansen might knock on your door.

No, it´s "Descendentes" ...almost the same

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 08:52 AM

Damn haha, I would edit that, but you quoted me, hahahaha

Jesus
06-04-2008, 08:57 AM
No, it´s "Descendentes" ...almost the same

Cool, in Dutch it would be Descendenten. Probably a latin word cause it's so similar in every language.

The Search Button
06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Whoa! You're a fellow Portuguese Speaker!

Why did you erased the "FUCK ME!" interjection?

Now I will be sad for the rest of the day. LOL

Yep Portuguese from Portugal, Europe.

Let it be "prole"! If it's the same in italian it must have some latin origins.

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Why did you erased the "FUCK ME!" interjection?

Now I will be sad for the rest of the day. LOL

Yep Portuguese from Portugal, Europe.

Let it be "prole"! If it's the same in italian it must have some latin origins.

I had to change, I don't want to be misunderstood haha.. I have to watch the things I say.. And Yeah, "Prole" is definitely better than Generation.

Fall-children
06-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Offspring in spanish is "Primogenito" or "Descendencia" or "racists" I don't remember

Jesus
06-04-2008, 09:11 AM
or "Broken Record"

camilo andres
06-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Offspring in spanish is "Primogenito" or "Descendencia" or "racists" I don't remember

In spanish is "prole" o " descendencia", even "hijos" or "vastagos". I prefer descendencia. But racist definitely not, why do you say that? and "primogenito" is only the first born child, not all the offspring.

Hypodermic_89
06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
The languages I speak:

Finnish: jälkikasvu
It's avkomma in swedish, and jälkeläinen in finnish.

http://lexin2.nada.kth.se/cgi-bin/swe-eng
http://efe.scape.net/index.php?criteria=offspring&page=1

Amedha
06-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Offspring means utód, leszármazott or ivadék in Hungarian.

Jojan
06-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Swedish: Svenska
The Offspring: Avkomman
Offspring: Avkomma

Rehynn
06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Offspring means utód, leszármazott or ivadék in Hungarian.

Na, megelőztél:-)

Macko
06-04-2008, 09:48 AM
"Potomci" in czech.. :)

Manic Subsida
06-04-2008, 09:52 AM
"Offspring" on norwegian: "avkom" or "etterkommer".

Alex101
06-04-2008, 10:04 AM

In spanish is "prole" o " descendencia", even "hijos" or "vastagos". I prefer descendencia. But racist definitely not, why do you say that? and "primogenito" is only the first born child, not all the offspring.

It's "crías". I went on Google, clicked on Language tools and typed in Offspring, then translated the word to Spanish. It said it's "crías".

Rafa88offspring
06-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't think it's plural so I'd say

Spanish = El Vástago (I used to have a cover band called like this :P)

and for descendents is Descendientes pretty similar too hehe.

EDIT: hadn't read Alex's post, trust us I don't where camilo is from, but I'm from Mexico so I know a little more spanish than google babelfish... and fuck fallchildren with offspring being racists, go back to afi forums.

camilo andres
06-04-2008, 10:21 AM
It's "crías". I went on Google, clicked on Language tools and typed in Offspring, then translated the word to Spanish. It said it's "crías".

Yeah but "crias" is more related to animals not to people, also is prole, at least in Colombia where I am from, so I prefer "descendientes" or "descendencia".

Joe Ging
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
No French traduction yet ?

we're saying "REJETONS" here

Indii
06-04-2008, 10:30 AM
In German it is:

Der Abkömmling or Der Nachkomme or Der Sprössling

Iamstupid
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM
No French traduction yet ?

we're saying "REJETONS" here

I think "progéniture" sounds better, maybe "rejeton" is a bit too familiar.

Just my opinion :)

EDIT : oh and btw, I don't think "traduction" is an english word. YOu have to use "translation", coming from the verb "to translate" :p

Ptit Seb
06-04-2008, 11:07 AM
+1
quite right, offspring never meant rejeton

holland25
06-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Potomok in Slovak

Pepsaj
06-04-2008, 11:31 AM
So Slovak, Czech and Polish words are very similar and we have only one word for "Offspring".

You have nice mix-up there in Spanish- and Portuguese- speaking countries :D

ernesto88
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
en castellano (argentina)

offspring - descendencia
offspring - cría
offspring - hijo

la mas correcta es la primera "descendencia"

RageAndLov
06-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Norwegian:
Offspring: Avkom
The Offspring: Avkommet

Free?
06-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Russian : offspring = îòïðûñê [Otprisk] ïîòîìîê [potOmok]
Latvian : offspring = atvase

Dosix
06-04-2008, 03:29 PM
The Offspring = Potomstwo (polish)

Drafan
06-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but when we´re talking about the band, we don´t cal them Potomci. I say - Hey man, Offsprinzi will perform at Rock for People, are you interested? :)
Btw, this thread is a good idea.

Sinobin
06-04-2008, 04:50 PM
In Spanish, of Spain

The Offspring = La descendencia

wrc307
06-04-2008, 06:56 PM
in one time i was watching family guy, and a farmer said "we must take care the offspring" and in the subtitles they put "los crios"
so, in spanish "los crios" is not a word for animals, its a very popular farmer's word to call to their sons.

Rafa88offspring
06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
well, if it was on family guy then it must be correct.

Hombre
06-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Offspring-потомок-in russians
Offspring-Potomok

Pepsaj
06-05-2008, 01:38 AM
The Offspring = Potomstwo (polish)
It's not "Potomstwo", it's "Potomek" :> And I know how to say it in Polish, see first post :P

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Hungarian:

Offspring-Ivadék
The Offspring-Az ivadék
This thread is a great idea! ;)

Pepsaj
06-05-2008, 07:29 AM
This thread is a great idea! ;)
Thank you very much! ;)

Phix
06-05-2008, 08:02 AM
the polish word is quite similar to the croatian one, we don't use "w" so it comes out something like "potomstvo". but, it sounds cooler in english:D

zsk
06-05-2008, 08:09 AM
in german:

The Offspring-Die Nachkommen

Pepsaj
06-05-2008, 08:10 AM
the polish word is quite similar to the croatian one, we don't use "w" so it comes out something like "potomstvo". but, it sounds cooler in english:D
I've heard that Croatian tribe derive from Krakow. I have no idea is it true or not, but the fact is that we have got a lot common. Similar language for example ;) And Group B ;)

Phix
06-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I've heard that Croatian tribe derive from Krakow. I have no idea is it true or not, but the fact is that we have got a lot common. Similar language for example ;) And Group B ;)

well, were both slovenes, so that maybe true although i haven't heard about this theory. guess it's not scientifically confirmed, otherwise i'd have learned it in school. the main thing is that it all started in Iran;)

and yes, group B, can't wait, only 2 more days, but i'm nervous as if i didn't jack off in a month

camilo andres
06-05-2008, 04:06 PM
in one time i was watching family guy, and a farmer said "we must take care the offspring" and in the subtitles they put "los crios"
so, in spanish "los crios" is not a word for animals, its a very popular farmer's word to call to their sons.

Yeah maybe but in Colombia is more used for animals. I remember Jurassic Park II when some guy talks about the T rex offspring, and some discovery programs when they talk about the offspring of some animals. I dont know if in English the word is used for people or animals, I know it means the same as descendants.