PDA

View Full Version : Apparently Hammerhead is stolen from a The Letters Organize?

monkzee
06-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I just saw a bulletin post from a band formerly on Nitro Records called The Letters Organize. I saw these guys live when they supported Offspring 3 years ago. Anyways in the bulletin they had a link to this website http://threefortysevenaugusta.com/?p=868 and they seem to be claiming that the power chords in Hammerhead is stolen from one of their own songs. As much as I love The Offspring, I think they may have a point! What do you think?

IamSam
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
This has already been discussed and everyone else thinks it is bush.

Camilamazed
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry, this topic has already been discussed.

=]

PS: IamSam got here first.

brian.offspring
06-04-2008, 05:37 PM
it sounds pretty similar . .
but i don't think so . .

monkzee
06-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Lol u got a link to the original discussion? I did try searching but didn't see unless I'm that tired lol

SmashMyBadHabit
06-04-2008, 05:39 PM
You know how it goes... once a topic is discussed, you shall never talk about it again!!

Muahahahahahah

DeAtHsTaR
06-04-2008, 05:39 PM
It's punk, IT HAPPENS. It's not like it's some intricate riff or solo.

Riffs are always recycled in punk. The main riff to Molly's Lips by Vaselines/Nirvana, Boxcar by Jawbreaker, Motivation by Sum 41, and She's a Rebel are all the same. But do you see any whiney bitches pointing fingers? No.

A true rip-off would be, say, The Day That I Died by Good Charlotte (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l27rgfrmgLg) being a carbon copy of Ball and Chain by Social Distortion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0).

jacknife737
06-04-2008, 05:40 PM
This has already been discussed and everyone else thinks it is bush.

Quoted for truth.

bighead384
06-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm pretty sure this will be closed too, but I disagree. I think it should absolutely be considered a minor ripoff. The drumbeat, the riff, and the knowledge that Dexter definitely heard that song makes it pretty obvious. No it's not a big deal, but it certainly is a rip-off.

Moose
06-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty sure this will be closed too, but I disagree. I think it should absolutely be considered a minor ripoff. The drumbeat, the riff, and the knowledge that Dexter definitely heard that song together makes it pretty obvious. No it's not a big deal, but it certainly is a rip-off.

...that last part makes it the most interesting.

...and yes it sounds like it.

bighead384
06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
...that last part makes it the most interesting.

...and yes it sounds like it.

You'd never believe it, but I fully understand the argument that "riffs are recycled in rock music all the time". But the fact of the matter is, although it's not groundbreaking by any means, this particular riff is unique enough to be considered distinctive. Not by much, but it is. And Hammerhead sounds EXACTLY like it.

Biggest offspring fan
06-04-2008, 06:00 PM
All i can say is fuck The Letters Organize, they suck! They can't claim that they have ripped of anything, cause they havent. Btw the last thread about this got deleted.

Moose
06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
this post shouldnt be deleted...the band wrote a letter about it and may take further action (in at least the act of bashing goes)...i think it should stay opened to be discussed...especially since several people have already mentioned the coincidental riffs/sounds of rise and fall and other things such as that.

bighead384
06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't feel like arguing about this, but I really don't get why the last one got deleted.

Rave21
06-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Mata-wat? by A Letta-who?

jacknife737
06-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't feel like arguing about this, but I really don't get why the last one got deleted.

Because it was starting pointless arguments, much like this one will. Its not really a big deal, the two songs are slightly similar, but its only a couple of notes. This thread should be closed too.

bighead384
06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Because it was starting pointless arguments, much like this one will. Its not really a big deal, the two songs are slightly similar, but its only a couple of notes. This thread should be closed too.

Pointless compared to what? I don't even think it's pointless at all.

Black
06-04-2008, 08:14 PM
wow. 5 seconds.

I guess everyone wants their bullshit claim to fame these days.

Kids need to grow up and stop finding excuses to start shit. There's only so many chord progression for shit-core punk bands... so what if a better band uses it in a better song? I'm sure the guys really sat down, trudged through an album of shitty music for that one 5 second riff and thought "hey lets take this cause it sounds good".

im sure all 38 fans of that band must be squealing in outrage.

monkzee
06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
wow that shit band should be HONORED that offspring stole their riff
HELL if offspring stole MY riff I'd piss in my pants!

lol totally!

P.S. if the original thread was deleted, then that would explain why I couldn't find it when I searched it which is why I assumed it hadn't been discussed :p

monkzee
06-04-2008, 08:19 PM
im sure all 38 fans of that band must be squealing in outrage.

LOL I do know one person who likes that band... he has a sh** taste in music which would explain why he would like a crappy band like them xD

thesparky33
06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Okay, so about one very brief part of that song resembled a riff of Hammerhead... big woop. To be completely honest, it reminds me a little bit of the chord progression from "Take It Like A Man", so maybe they stole it from the Offspring originally... :rolleyes:

ANDiTKO
06-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Listen the Short Version (http://threefortysevenaugusta.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/offspring-vs-organize.mp3)
I think offspring stole from The Letters Organize (http://www.myspace.com/thelettersorganize)

Come on,Drums are same, gutar is same, only the lyrics are different.
The guitar is clean in the beginning and then gets dirty with the same drum roll.

sneedo
06-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Listen the Short Version (http://threefortysevenaugusta.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/offspring-vs-organize.mp3)
I think offspring stole from The Letters Organize (http://www.myspace.com/thelettersorganize)

Come on,Drums are same, gutar is same, only the lyrics are different.
The guitar is clean in the beginning and then gets dirty with the same drum roll.

stolen, no.

Inspired by, most definately.

There have been tons of better bands for them to steal from on Nitro over the years, why would they steal from some no talent assclowns?

DeAtHsTaR
06-04-2008, 09:23 PM
You stole my power chords!!!!!

nieh
06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I hardly see it. I totally see why people said the breakdown in Hammerhead sounds like that Nirvana song because those were virtually identical, but this is such a simple little thing that I'm sure a dozen other bands have done it even before The Letters Organize did.

Paki7491
06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
I could understand why they're pissed off, but in music nowadays, everything has been done before, and plenty of songs are going to sound similar. It's those similarities that gives music GENRES. So Dexter might have heard it before, I really don't think he outright stole it, I'm guessing he heard it, and in the mix of making all the other songs for the album, he was trying to figure out a riff for a song and kind of ended up "rewriting" this one.

Unnatural Disaster
06-04-2008, 10:00 PM
lol @ the tags for this thread.... :)

HeadAroundU
06-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Lololol, quite a Nazi day from mods/band. :D

I'm not gonna post anything because this is gonna be deleted too.

Jaded skies
06-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I hardly see it. I totally see why people said the breakdown in Hammerhead sounds like that Nirvana song because those were virtually identical, but this is such a simple little thing that I'm sure a dozen other bands have done it even before The Letters Organize did.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B0b-Sm6YKiw

for those of you who havnt heard it.

IamSam
06-04-2008, 11:21 PM
You stole my power chords!!!!!

Exactly. As someone else put it, today 'it is basic guitar theory.'

Sweet mother people...I can't believe we are still talking about this.

Ryder1234
06-04-2008, 11:22 PM
they keep editing the tags

HAI FAGZ!!!

Ryder1234
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM
if you guys can join this board just to edit the tags, then youll have the balls to post something.

come on do it

IamSam
06-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, one thing they were missing:

Dexter Holland.

He must have felt sorry for the music being trapped in a horrible song so he lifted them to create a lyrical and vocal masterpiece that TLO could never have risen to.

I think that is the crux of the problem. The fact that he created something great out of their shit.

Conspiracyof1000
06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I wrote a song (lyrics only, I had a vague idea of the beat so I went along with that) and showed it to my friend. We were listening to Splinter and Race Against Myself was playing. She said that the two had the exact same beat.
Maybe Dexter heard the chords and subconsciously they made their way into his music, much like I did with the rhythm of Race Against Myself.
Ryder, I has BALLZ! :D I tagged AND posted!

commonrider5447
06-04-2008, 11:51 PM
LOL omg, yeah its kinda similar bc its an extremely generic chord progression, are these guys serious? they really think they r the first to play something similar to that? that was a good laugh....

Ryder1234
06-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Ryder, I has BALLZ! :D

generally, I was calling out TLO (they edited the tags - i bet you can guess which ones i made :D), but HI FIVEZ! :D

bighead384
06-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Knowing that Dexter heard Matador before he wrote Hammerhead, can you really truly say without a doubt that it's by mere coincidence that Hammerhead contains the same drum beat, guitar riff, mood, and dynamic change?

You all keep saying things like "it's just powerchords" and "powerchord progressions are always recycled in rock music". This is true, but it's not relevant in this debate. The reason is because TLO took those two chords and made them into a distinctive riff, and Hammerhead sounds EXACTLY like it.

Most people are fucking goons and think everything is either black OR white. In this situation, you have to fucking control yourself and realize that while it is true that "ripoff" is an appropriate word, it's really is not that bad of a ripoff...a "minor ripoff" if you will. In other words, that riff alone is not a melody that you can build an entire song around(at least not a good one), and this is why it's not a big deal.

Ryder1234
06-05-2008, 12:48 AM
we should all go track down a song made before Matador with similar chords/progression and call out TLO on it

bighead384
06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
we should all go track down a song made before Matador with similar chords/progression and call out TLO on it

You won't find one that sounds quite like that...it's only two chords and a beat, but they made it unique. Accept it.

Hypodermic_89
06-05-2008, 01:03 AM
The Offspring - Hammerhead:

I am the one
Camouflage and guns
Risk my life, to keep my people from harm.

The Letters Organize - Matador:

RAURGH RASGH RAAURGH RAGH RA ARAR AGHGH
RAUGH HRAHGRHAG RRGAHRAHGAGRH
RGAAHRHAGRH HAGRHAR!!!!

Yeah, I hear the similarity.

holland25
06-05-2008, 01:05 AM
I love you for that post.

Jesus
06-05-2008, 01:57 AM
Can anyone inform me why the previous thread was deleted togheter? Did someone from TLO sign up and started trolling? If so that would have been priceless.

The downside is that precious Austrian 80s music was lost :(.

disclaimer_07
06-05-2008, 05:29 AM
The riffs sound similar, but Matador can't hold a candle to Hammerhead. And even if it's a ripoff, it's still THE Offspring.

ernesto88
06-05-2008, 06:14 AM
i listened the songs and are diferent!

Becouse the offspring made a song with similar musical chords to "the letter organize" I don't think that these musical chords have been stolen!
if you listen carefully, in "hammerherad song" can be heard 1-1-1-3-3

and in "killer song" can be heard 1-1-1-2-3

are different rhythms!

(I don't think we should judge to "offspring" for having a similar musical acrode)

first listen carefully and then make your opinion

pd: i don't know how write the musical acordes , and i write 1,2,3 when i listened a diferent song...

ernesto88
06-05-2008, 06:16 AM
i listened the songs and are diferent!

Becouse the offspring made a song with similar musical chords to "the letter organize" I don't think that these musical chords have been stolen!

(i don't know how write the musical acordes , and i write 1,2,3 when i listened a diferent song...)

if you listen carefully, in "hammerherad song" can be heard 1-1-1-3-3

and in "killer song" can be heard 1-1-1-2-3

are different rhythms!

(I don't think we should judge to "offspring" for having a similar musical acrode)

first listen carefully and then make your opinion

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-05-2008, 06:18 AM
This band is on Nitro Records, Dexter's own label? No way that The Offspring stole the powerchords from them

Little_Miss_1565
06-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Jesus Harold Christ on a rubber crutch.

This is pointless, childish, and not to mention retarded. I'm fucking embarassed on behalf of the forum that people are going to TLO's site and behaving like monkeys. I deleted the first thread at least temporarily until the bullshit storm dies down, but now I'm just straight up pissed.

Clearly, there is a delicate situation between TLO, Nitro, and everyone involved there. Do the world a favor and stay out of it. I'm looking at you, Biggest Offspring Fan. Fucking drop it and STFU.