PDA

View Full Version : Bands that you “should” like, but don’t.

jacknife737
06-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Sorry if this sounds somewhat confusing, but let me explain. I was having a conversation with friends about this earlier.

I can’t stand the band the Bouncing Souls, but when I think about it, by all accounts I think I should like them. I really like melodic skate/pop-punk bands (Bad Religion, Pennywise, Larry Arms, ect), and I really like a lot of Boston area bands (Bosstones, Big D, DK Murphys, ect), however I cannot stand the Souls. I think it has something to do with their lead singer; every time I hear him bealt out the lines to Anchors Away, I feel like jabbing a pencil in my ears. So do any of you feel similarly about other bands?

P.S. Bouncingcoles, please don’t hate me.

Free?
06-05-2008, 02:47 AM
I can't listen for long full discograpghies of ramones / bad religion / pennywise... they start to sound boring at some rate. Sometimes not though. But I like them anyway, just sometimes they tend to be too self repeating.

Superdope
06-05-2008, 03:55 AM
I know exactly what you mean jackknife.

I have absolutely no reason at to dislike Muse, for example, but I just can't stand listening to them.

Aw shucks, I was prepared to come up with a whole list of artists because this is something that I think about quite often actually, but I can't come up with anyone else right now.

JohnnyNemesis
06-05-2008, 09:43 AM
I actually used to have Muse in this category, but one day I gave them a 165th chance and kinda fell in love with them. It was weird.

As for me, I really should love both The Cure and Erasure, since I'm obsessed with Depeche Mode and all. But I go from unimpressed to only kinda liking them. It's odd.

And I'm supposed to love Lil Wayne since apparently he's on top of the rap game right now, but I only kinda sorta like him.

bouncingcoles
06-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry if this sounds somewhat confusing, but let me explain. I was having a conversation with friends about this earlier.

I can’t stand the band the Bouncing Souls, but when I think about it, by all accounts I think I should like them. I really like melodic skate/pop-punk bands (Bad Religion, Pennywise, Larry Arms, ect), and I really like a lot of Boston area bands (Bosstones, Big D, DK Murphys, ect), however I cannot stand the Souls. I think it has something to do with their lead singer; every time I hear him bealt out the lines to Anchors Away, I feel like jabbing a pencil in my ears. So do any of you feel similarly about other bands?

P.S. Bouncingcoles, please don’t hate me.

the bouncing souls are rad, i love those guys. i even played guitar on stage with them a few times

BREAK
06-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Animal Collective. I'm like, frrealz?

Ristifer
06-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Ozzy Osbourne. What a terrible excuse for an artist.

jacknife737
06-05-2008, 01:40 PM
the bouncing souls are rad, i love those guys. i even played guitar on stage with them a few times

Oh, i'm sure they're nice guys, I just find them musically unappealing.

0r4ng3
06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Same here. I used to listen to them, but I got bored real fast. Also Lagwagon.

bighead384
06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I should like Rise Against, but I don't really like them that much...they have a few songs I like. I really don't like that guys voice much. The only songs I like are the ones where the vocal melody is so catchy that it makes up for it.

bighead384
06-05-2008, 02:11 PM

There's really no band quite like the Bouncing Souls...but I really don't like them that much. Some of the songs remind me of something frat boys would listen to.

Short_Attention_Span
06-05-2008, 02:17 PM
There's really no band quite like the Bouncing Souls...but I really don't like them that much. Some of the songs remind me of something frat boys would listen to.

Yeah, like "Manthem."

For the longest time, I couldn't get into Hot Water Music or J Church, but recently they decided to click.
________
FERRARI 250 TR 61 SPYDER FANTUZZI SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_250_TR_61_Spyder_Fantuzzi)

BuddyHolly
06-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I should like Rise Against, but I don't really like them that much...they have a few songs I like. I really don't like that guys voice much. The only songs I like are the ones where the vocal melody is so catchy that it makes up for it.

That's exactly the band that I was thinking of and the exact same reason why I don't like them as much as I should.

RageAndLov
06-05-2008, 06:21 PM
its kinda opposite for me: i hate a type of music, but i like a band belonging to that type of music :P

i can't stand pop "punk"! Well its not the right word actually cuz pop punk IS some sort of punk, but i can't stand music like blink 182 or simple plan! its what you hear in a i.e. amercan pie movie, like high school rock! in norwegian its called fjortisspunk yuck! but i like a band that is actual sounding like that - NOFX. they are maybe what you can call pop punk, but most of the songs of NOFX sounds like a blink 182 song...
wierd...

dff_punk
06-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Ahem... maybe Less Than Jake... when I am listening to their music I think "oh God i should love this band" but I do not get the feeling of the exact "awesomeness" that I should. Maybe "The Rest Of My Life" is the only song by them that I really love.

Ninty Man
06-05-2008, 09:55 PM
They say I should like sex pistols and nirvana, cause they were... REAL MUSICIANS..: For me, after listening them and know their history, they are the biggest posers ever