PDA

View Full Version : Cliche opinion that I can't stand

bighead384
06-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Aside from their first record, which has more of an 80's punk sound, all the other Offspring albums can pretty accurately be described as Skate Punk albums. Now unless those 30 second previews were extremely misleading, which I doubt, this will be the first Offspring album in a while that can't even be considered a Skate Punk album. It's not completely absent from the entire album, but it's certainly taking a back seat to other sounds like never before.

My problem is that I don't see what the hell is wrong with the fact that I'm a little disappointed with this. I'm not disappointed in the guys in the band, nor am I demanding that they make the record that I had in mind. I'm simply stating that personally, I'd prefer it if they stuck with the sound that made them famous, at least for the most part. What the fuck does that have to do with being "tru punx" or being closed-minded? It really bothers me when people say that...I don't think it makes any sense, and I don't think those people know what they're talking about.

Camilamazed
06-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Again?

I bet if they kept the same music style people would complain that they don't have imagination to try some different things.

bighead384
06-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Again?

I bet if they kept the same music style people would complain that they don't have imagination to try some different things.

You think The Offspring are in danger of being considered a band that doesn't try new things?

mat.kc.
06-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I would have to say that this album definately sounds like they are returning to their roots, while throwing in some new surprises. Sounds like they looked
back on their previous albums, and reviewed what really clicked with the fans.
So they came out and made another kick ass album :D

The majority of their songs (judging from the 30 second clips) have the traditional Offspring sound. Half-Truism, Trust In You, You're Gonna Go Far Kid (sounds like something that (could have been on Americana), Hammerhead, Takes Me Nowhere sounds like it could have been on Splinter, with a hint of Ignition. Reminds me of Kick Him When He's Down). Nothingtown has a hint of Ixnay. Just to name a few I guess.

Camilamazed
06-06-2008, 03:02 PM
You think The Offspring are in danger of being considered a band that doesn't try new things?

No, I don't. I'm trying to say that fans are never happy. Bands will never please their fans 100%. I mean, except U2 fans.

bighead384
06-06-2008, 03:06 PM
The majority of their songs (judging from the 30 second clips) have the traditional Offspring sound. Half-Truism, Trust In You, You're Gonna Go Far Kid (sounds like something that (could have been on Americana), Hammerhead, Takes Me Nowhere sounds like it could have been on Splinter, with a hint of Ignition. Reminds me of Kick Him When He's Down). Nothingtown has a hint of Ixnay. Just to name a few I guess.

I know there are a few exceptions, but this time, the overwhelming majority of the songs sound like mid-tempo rock songs. Also, I really don't agree with most of your comparisons at all.

nieh
06-06-2008, 03:28 PM
this will be the first Offspring album in a while that can't even be considered a Skate Punk album.

Yeah, except for the album that came out right before it...

jacknife737
06-06-2008, 03:32 PM

and the album before that....

Amiralanal
06-06-2008, 03:36 PM
ZZzzzzZZZzzzzzzZZzz.......

Drafan
06-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Bitching bitching bitching, constantly someone is bitching about something, stop bitching, just ENJOY!

shanna_guarana
06-06-2008, 04:28 PM
some of them just enjoy bitching.....:D

Jack-UK
06-06-2008, 04:33 PM
I hate it when people claim 'Its not Offspring.." IT IS THE FUCKING OFFSPRING!

Its their songs, one of the great things about the Offspring is the diversity of their songs, get with the fucking programme!

shanna_guarana
06-06-2008, 04:38 PM
but sometimes it's just to deferent from what we used to listen....that we have to say IT'S NOT THE OFFS MAN...

XYlophonetreeZ
06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes.

But apart from that, they should just make the kind of music they want to. Dexter is like the most ADD person ever- one day he's trying to get a Ph. D., one day he's flying a plane around the world, one day he's learning how to surf, one day he's running a record company, one day he's running a marathon, and one day he's making his own hot sauce. It's actually puzzled me how a guy like that could be content making music for as long as he has, that really, compared to most other bands who have been around for the same amount of time, hasn't changed much. I'm sure a lot of it has been for the fans and for their career. Now he's doing what he wants, doing what he feels like, and that's the punxest thing of all.

mat.kc.
06-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes.

But apart from that, they should just make the kind of music they want to. Dexter is like the most ADD person ever- one day he's trying to get a Ph. D., one day he's flying a plane around the world, one day he's learning how to surf, one day he's running a record company, one day he's running a marathon, and one day he's making his own hot sauce. It's actually puzzled me how a guy like that could be content making music for as long as he has, that really, compared to most other bands who have been around for the same amount of time, hasn't changed much. I'm sure a lot of it has been for the fans and for their career. Now he's doing what he wants, doing what he feels like, and that's the punxest thing of all.

Dexter has always done what he wanted though; I'm sure he stays true to himself and he definately stays true to the fans and his music. Half of those things you've mentioned are hobbies of his, not to mention those specific events have happened during the course of a few years apart from each other. Doesn't make him ADD for living his life and trying things he might enjoy. But I see what you're getting at.

ad8
06-07-2008, 02:27 AM
To me, the new album seems like a mix of old stuff and new stuff. I'd love to see them doing more stuff like Ignition, Ixnay or S/T, but I accept the fact that Dexter tries to change a bit with every album and does something new. Dexter does whatever he wants and I'm ok with that. I also do whatever I want/like and if the day shall come that I don't like Dexter's music anymore, then so be it. I'd just have to search something new then. Cause I'm sure complaining wouldn't help.

The Search Button
06-07-2008, 02:37 AM
In relation to all this discussion around if TheOffspring are punk/pop/skate or whatever, I heard something yesterday that i really liked.

Some guy from a well known portuguese band called TheOffspring's style: Happy Punk.

I kinda liked that discription.

scream
06-07-2008, 02:50 AM
The Offspring were never ones to stagnate in their sound.

Hypodermic_89
06-07-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm actually thinking about boycotting this entire forum because of all the dumbass complainers. Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish?

Yes, you all have the freedom of speech and the freedom of expression, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to fucking do it! Sometimes it's better to just shut up. By complaining, you're bringing down the entire vibe of the new album-sensation. We haven't had a new album from our favorite band THE OFFSPRING since December 2003, and now, when it's finally just around the corner, you people have to come up with some SHIT to say.

Do you really hate the album 100%, or are you just focusing on the bad things? There MUST be something you like, so why can't you just talk about that? We've anticipated this album for a LONG time now, and we can all come together, as true Offspring fans, and enjoy this fantastic occasion. A new album. But not for you complainers. You just have to bring down the vibe. You always have to complain about something. If the songs were 100% perfect, you'd complain about the lyrics booklet. If the music and booklet were 100% perfect, you'd complain about the album cover. If the music, booklet and album cover were 100% perfect, you'd complain about the songtitles. If EVERYTHING was 100% perfect, you'd complain about the time it took for the album to come out. You're never happy. Never.

IamSam
06-07-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm actually thinking about boycotting this entire forum because of all the dumbass complainers. Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish?

Yes, you all have the freedom of speech and the freedom of expression, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to fucking do it! Sometimes it's better to just shut up. By complaining, you're bringing down the entire vibe of the new album-sensation. We haven't had a new album from our favorite band THE OFFSPRING since December 2003, and now, when it's finally just around the corner, you people have to come up with some SHIT to say.

Do you really hate the album 100%, or are you just focusing on the bad things? There MUST be something you like, so why can't you just talk about that? We've anticipated this album for a LONG time now, and we can all come together, as true Offspring fans, and enjoy this fantastic occasion. A new album. But not for you complainers. You just have to bring down the vibe. You always have to complain about something. If the songs were 100% perfect, you'd complain about the lyrics booklet. If the music and booklet were 100% perfect, you'd complain about the album cover. If the music, booklet and album cover were 100% perfect, you'd complain about the songtitles. If EVERYTHING was 100% perfect, you'd complain about the time it took for the album to come out. You're never happy. Never.

AMEN BROTHER!

Ristifer
06-07-2008, 12:13 PM

Agreed. It is silly to judge the album anyways. And I'm not just saying that about negative remarks. Saying the album is their best ever without actually hearing the full album is just as stupid as saying that the album is a dud. It's ridiculous that after almost five years of barely any new Offspring music, we get threads like these.

I must admit though, it is also annoying when people that don't automatically accept a different sound for a band are blasted for not having an open mind. Who knows, they may grow to like it just as much as other Offspring records.

Either way, let's just wait for the album. Praise and critique can be shared afterwards. For now, it's RAFRAG, and that's it.

bighead384
06-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Hahah, alright guys, go ahead and give yourself that pat on the back. You know you have negative things to say about music sometimes too, but go ahead, be the big guy of the situation.

Hypodermic_89
06-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Agreed. It is silly to judge the album anyways. And I'm not just saying that about negative remarks. Saying the album is their best ever without actually hearing the full album is just as stupid as saying that the album is a dud.
I completely understand what you mean, but considering the fact that I liked a 30 second preview, I think the odds are very unlikely that most of it will turn around after hearing the full album.

What I'm trying to say is: It's easier to hate than to love. It's easier to complain than to praise.

Rutegard
06-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Again?

you got my words

:D:D

Rutegard
06-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I completely understand what you mean, but considering the fact that I liked a 30 second preview, I think the odds are very unlikely that most of it will turn around after hearing the full album.

What I'm trying to say is: It's easier to hate than to love. It's easier to complain than to praise.

and you got my words too

:D:D

IamSam
06-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Hahah, alright guys, go ahead and give yourself that pat on the back. You know you have negative things to say about music sometimes too, but go ahead, be the big guy of the situation.

I do. To be completely honest I think that Ignition is a pretty boring album. But what it boils down to is this:

A formulation of opinion on the new album shouldn't be made until people hear it in its entirety. Formulating an opinion off of thirty seconds of shoddy audio is like forming an opinion off of a 2 minute clip of a bootleg movie that was shot be video camera in the theater.

Count Orlok
06-07-2008, 03:46 PM
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0018OAPAW/ref=s9sims_c1_at1-rfc_p?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=11F7GTAPH4M20J6XW1RG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=162597691&pf_rd_i=301128

Btw,here are some reviewers who claim that RAFRAG is really good,rocks and goes kinda back to the roots,while the songs are all very catchy.I donīt know where they have heared the songs,but the reviews are very positive:)
Iīm too lazy for translating it all now,this are only the basic statements.

dff_punk
06-07-2008, 03:48 PM
We are looking forward, Count Orlok:rolleyes:

bighead384
06-07-2008, 05:27 PM
I do. To be completely honest I think that Ignition is a pretty boring album. But what it boils down to is this:

A formulation of opinion on the new album shouldn't be made until people hear it in its entirety. Formulating an opinion off of thirty seconds of shoddy audio is like forming an opinion off of a 2 minute clip of a bootleg movie that was shot be video camera in the theater.

I disagree. You can easily get the gist of a song with a 30 second clip. I'm not acting like I know everything about each individual song, I'm just stating what most of them are not. And most of them are not punk, or at least not the style of punk Offspring has played for their whole career.

bighead384
06-07-2008, 05:31 PM

and the album before that....

Splinter is pushing it,(I wasn't too thrilled with that either), but Conspiracy of One was a Skate Punk album, especially if you count Huck It.

Llamas
06-07-2008, 08:57 PM
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0018OAPAW/ref=s9sims_c1_at1-rfc_p?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=11F7GTAPH4M20J6XW1RG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=162597691&pf_rd_i=301128

Btw,here are some reviewers who claim that RAFRAG is really good,rocks and goes kinda back to the roots,while the songs are all very catchy.I donīt know where they have heared the songs,but the reviews are very positive:)
Iīm too lazy for translating it all now,this are only the basic statements.

Cool :) I'll translate some as best as I can.

"The Offspring fan sacked the first hour the good boys with every album more and more. [This first sentence really just makes no sense to me, so apologies for the lack of translation.] Since "Americana", I had abandoned them. The children's music that followed served only as minorities to hyperactive jumping all around. Now I thought of a mood out of "Guck dir doch mal an was sie jetzt so treiben". I am surprised.

Finally they have apparently returned to their roots. The songs sound more adult than the fair moods of the last years. "Trust in You" reflects of the good old "Smash". A breath of 3 Doors Down in the beginning of "Hammerhead" and Green Day in "Fix You". Good singalongs, crisp riffs, tidy/serious rock and speed and Dexter sings ??? and then a type of ballad.

Rise and Fall Rage and Grace is for longtime fans finally this time a ray of hope. So what I've learned from this: never give up!"

"The Offspring are after a waiting time of over 5 years finally back and bringing an album out which revives the old times of the strong cool rock music from before. The new songs are very catchy and simply blow all others from the last years away. Offspring have clearly again increased and handed over an album which will take over 2008. Super. Buy it! If a rock album is worth your money this year, it's this one."

jacknife737
06-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Splinter is pushing it,(I wasn't too thrilled with that either), but Conspiracy of One was a Skate Punk album, especially if you count Huck It.

Not really, Living in Chaos, Special Delivery, Original Prankster, Want You Bad, Denial Revisited, Vultures. None of which I would consider to be "Skate Punk" and that’s about half the album.

bighead384
06-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Not really, Living in Chaos, Special Delivery, Original Prankster, Want You Bad, Denial Revisited, Vultures. None of which I would consider to be "Skate Punk" and that’s about half the album.

Nope. Want You Bad is pop-punk so lets be honest, it's right in the same ball park. As for the others: just because a few songs are different doesn't mean it's not skate punk overall. Fuck, even Pennywise has a few "different" songs on their albums.

jacknife737
06-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Nope. Want You Bad is pop-punk so lets be honest, it's right in the same ball park. As for the others: just because a few songs are different doesn't mean it's not skate punk overall. Fuck, even Pennywise has a few "different" songs on their albums.

When it's almost half of the album, it's more then a "few songs".

And if you want to split hairs, based on what people have written about the previews, the only tracks that don't really fall into the "pop/melodic/skate punk" category are Fix You, A Lot Like Me, and Kristy, so doesn't that make your original point void?

Conspiracyof1000
06-08-2008, 12:56 AM

And if you want to split hairs, based on what people have written about the previews, the only tracks that don't really fall into the "pop/melodic/skate punk" category are Fix You, A Lot Like Me, and Kristy, so doesn't that make your original point void?

BURN. 10 characters

Dragnet
06-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Skate punk is a term no real musician would ever apply to his music I think.

Manic Subsida
06-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Cool :) I'll translate some as best as I can.

"The Offspring fan sacked the first hour the good boys with every album more and more. [This first sentence really just makes no sense to me, so apologies for the lack of translation.] Since "Americana", I had abandoned them. The children's music that followed served only as minorities to hyperactive jumping all around. Now I thought of a mood out of "Guck dir doch mal an was sie jetzt so treiben". I am surprised.

Finally they have apparently returned to their roots. The songs sound more adult than the fair moods of the last years. "Trust in You" reflects of the good old "Smash". A breath of 3 Doors Down in the beginning of "Hammerhead" and Green Day in "Fix You". Good singalongs, crisp riffs, tidy/serious rock and speed and Dexter sings ??? and then a type of ballad.

Rise and Fall Rage and Grace is for longtime fans finally this time a ray of hope. So what I've learned from this: never give up!"

"The Offspring are after a waiting time of over 5 years finally back and bringing an album out which revives the old times of the strong cool rock music from before. The new songs are very catchy and simply blow all others from the last years away. Offspring have clearly again increased and handed over an album which will take over 2008. Super. Buy it! If a rock album is worth your money this year, it's this one."
Wow, this sounds REALLY great! :D

Dragnet
06-08-2008, 10:52 AM
The dude who wrote the review probably did it based on the preview samples.
So nothing reliable really

bighead384
06-08-2008, 03:07 PM

Psh, almost half the album. 8 out of 13 songs are Skate Punk/Pop Punk. There's also punk influence in a few of the other ones. I think it's pretty safe to call it Skate Punk or 90's Pop Punk. Like, would it really blow your mind if you turned on CO1 for someone who has never heard The Offspring, and they called it Skate Punk? Seriously.

bighead384
06-08-2008, 03:10 PM

Why not? It's basically just a slightly more intense version of Pop Punk.

Llamas
06-09-2008, 02:17 AM

I think I agree with this. "Skate Punk" is such a specific term... it reminds me (though not as badly) of attempts at defining things like "post-industrial-hardcore-screamo-punk-metal". It's not really a genre- it's more of something that people try to come up with to further try to categorize things.

In other words, one song might fit such a description. However, it's very rare that a band writes all their songs to fit within a small sub-genre of music. I would say that Pennywise is the only band that comes to mind that does that.

The Offspring, to me, writes songs that can fit under many "genres". They've used metal, rock, punk, rap, reggae, ska, acoustic, pop, etc. If I had to name one main genre to describe them to someone who hadn't heard them, though, I would call the band pop-punk. "Pop" because they are/were very popular and write songs that are very suited for the radio (even a couple songs on the first two albums could've hit the radio had they had promotion). "Punk" because of their tendency to stick to a 3 chord structure, fast driven song tempos, and a lean toward anti-establishment/conformist lyrics.

But as a musician myself, I've always had a hard time with the concept of trying to categorize music. For instance, I think it's hilarious that any music whose instrumentation solely consists of string and wind instruments is automatically considered "classical" music... sorry, everyone, but the classical era ended a LONG time ago. :P

Edit: I'd like to add that I don't even think more than a couple Offspring songs really fit into what I consider "Skate Punk". I generally agree with the definition on Wikipedia: "Skate punk typically uses four note basslines, surf-like drums, and fast, Ramones-style guitar. Mostly played on the upbeat instead of the downbeat, skatecore is known for emulating the "feel" of skating... Skate punk utilizes quick uptempo "jumps" of silence at the end of the measure to emphasize the start of the riff." However, like I said before, I dislike categorizing music. I wouldn't argue with someone who considered their music to be skate punk, because music genres just can not have one divinely truthful definition. :D

Smash punker
06-09-2008, 04:50 AM
Bitching bitching bitching, constantly someone is bitching about something, stop bitching, just ENJOY!

Yeah, right! :D