PDA

View Full Version : Favorite songs by an actor/athlete/model/etc...

randman21
06-07-2008, 09:16 AM
As some of you may know, Scarlett Johansson recently released her atrocious attempt at musical achievement, and this made me think of some things. Every so often an actor, model, or someone known for something other than his/her musical prowess comes out with an album (Think Don Johnson’s “Heartbeat,” or William Shatner’s “Common People”). Sometimes, though, they get it right. Which are your favorites?

Had I asked myself 13 years ago, it would have definitely been “Must Be the Money” by Deion Sanders. I’ve gone a lot poppier in my years, though, and now it’s “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia for sure, and right behind it, *gag* “Stars are Blind” by Paris Hilton.

Endymion
06-07-2008, 12:44 PM
are her tom waits covers that bad? are they bad because she was terrible or do you not like tom waits anyway?

One to the right
06-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Coco Crisp's rap song- We Got That Thing is so bad its good.

nieh
06-07-2008, 01:17 PM
are her tom waits covers that bad? are they bad because she was terrible or do you not like tom waits anyway?

The one song I heard of hers was kind of 'meh', and I hear most of the album follows suit.
Anyways, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsSx5NA6sXw) rocks, She & Him with Zooey Deschanel are pretty good from the couple songs I've heard. William Shatner - Has Been is actually a legitimately entertaining album, though not every song on it is a winner. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Endymion
06-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Anyways, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsSx5NA6sXw) rocks

the whole album is pretty damn awesome.

Cock Joke
06-07-2008, 05:38 PM
"Parents just don't understand" by Will Smith.

holland25
06-08-2008, 01:47 AM
I Fly by Hayden Panettiere.

randman21
06-08-2008, 06:15 AM
"Parents just don't understand" by Will Smith.
Right album, wrong song. "Charlie Mack (1st Out of the Limo), ftw. Heh, besides, Will Smith is a rapper-turned-actor.

I was probably a bit overzealous with calling the Scarlett Johansson album atrocious. It was just extremely bland and each song seemed never ending. To the point where I'd rather not hear anything than it.

BREAK
06-08-2008, 07:39 PM
ScarJo's album is kinda good. Unfortunately, the stuff that's good about it has almost nothing to do with her. She picked great songs to cover, and got the TVOTR guy to do some great production work. But behind the mic, it could be any anonymous starlet with almost no range or inflection to speak of.

She & Him are fucking great. I started out thinking the album had about three good songs, but lately I'm playing the shit out of it more than any other album from this year. The only sign of bad judgment was the decision to cover 1. a fucking Beatles song and 2. a song that was famously covered by the fucking Beatles. Apart from that, it's better than it has any right to be.

As far as athletes, I'm still fond of Shaq's verse in Fu-Schnickens' "Can We Rock? (What's Up Doc?)"

XYlophonetreeZ
06-08-2008, 07:51 PM
"Wheaties Box" by Rick Moranis.

Alex101
06-08-2008, 08:13 PM
"So Yesterday" by Hilary Duff

(uh-oh, please tell me I didn't pick that, lol)

randman21
06-09-2008, 03:23 AM
^Dude, I picked Paris Hilton. Hillary Duff actually has some talent.

I don't know what it's called, but the Patrick Swayze's song from "Dirty Dancing" is also quite catchy.

Endymion
06-09-2008, 03:41 AM
"Wheaties Box" by Rick Moranis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUnHMbdbyA

JohnnyNemesis
06-09-2008, 03:43 AM
Y'all Musta Forgot by Roy Jones Jr.

!!!

giftedbuttwisted
06-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Asshole by Dennis Leary!! :D:D:D

Andy
06-09-2008, 05:53 PM
All I can think of right now is, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" by Eric Idle.

darea
06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
As some of you may know, Scarlett Johansson recently released her atrocious attempt at musical achievement, and this made me think of some things. Every so often an actor, model, or someone known for something other than his/her musical prowess comes out with an album (Think Don Johnson’s “Heartbeat,” or William Shatner’s “Common People”). Sometimes, though, they get it right. Which are your favorites?

Had I asked myself 13 years ago, it would have definitely been “Must Be the Money” by Deion Sanders. I’ve gone a lot poppier in my years, though, and now it’s “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia for sure, and right behind it, *gag* “Stars are Blind” by Paris Hilton.

Sorry if Im off topic, but did Nelly do a song called "must be the money?"

JohnnyNemesis
06-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Nelly had a line that goes "Must be the money!" in his song "Ride Wit Me".

Llamas
06-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Natalie Imbruglia and Will Smith come to mind. hehe.

Little_Miss_1565
06-10-2008, 03:53 PM

They are. They are really that bad. She can't sing. The producers tried really hard to hide it, but I know they signs. She can't. And I am pissed this album exists.

ScarJo's album is kinda good. Unfortunately, the stuff that's good about it has almost nothing to do with her. She picked great songs to cover, and got the TVOTR guy to do some great production work. But behind the mic, it could be any anonymous starlet with almost no range or inflection to speak of

I actually bear more of a grudge about how much the album sucks because of the production and the producer AND THE FACT THAT DAVID FUCKING BOWIE SINGS BACKUP. Having a shitty singer just makes what could have been an amazing project nothing more than a vanity nocturnal emission.

And I totally dig She & Him.

dff_punk
06-10-2008, 04:27 PM
"Explosivo" by Tenacious D.

nieh
06-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Zing Splash by P (http://www.sendspace.com/file/o5okol)is pretty awesome. It's Gibby Haynes from the Butthole Surfers on Vocals with Johnny Depp and some other guy switching off on guitar and bass and Sal Jenco, some other actor I've never heard of on drums.

oh_strange_one
06-21-2008, 10:39 PM
please no-one kill me for being cheesy but patrick swayze she's like the wind (song out of dirty dancing), its not really my thing but hes got an incredibe voice and i find it surprising he never had a music career.

also bruce willis under the boardwalk becaus he's surpisingly good at singing aswell, also i like that sonofabitch hes hilarious:p

can't the man dexter himself be classed as an actor lol he was in idle hands therefore he is THE best

randman21
06-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Sal Jenco, some other actor I've never heard of on drums.What the fuck?! I will be listening to this right now. He's the Blowfish from "21 Jumpstreet"!

please no-one kill me for being cheesy but patrick swayze she's like the wind (song out of dirty dancing), its not really my thing but hes got an incredibe voice and i find it surprising he never had a music career.

I was actually gonna include that in my little list, but I couldn't think of the name of the song. It's totally an exception to the rule of my musical tastes.

Vera
06-22-2008, 01:13 PM
"Put me in a car" by Ryan Gosling

EVERYBODY LISTEN TO THIS SONG NOW and you will want to hump the man. Guaranteed satisfaction.

[[Meli.x]]
06-24-2008, 07:10 AM

Right.
I love that song...
the actor himself quite annoys me...