PDA

View Full Version : The Mr. T Experience guy wrote a book!

Little_Miss_1565
06-07-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else, but Dr. Frank wrote a YA-type novel called "King Dork" and it's really fucking good. A friend passed a copy along to me, somehow sensing that I am a huge dork and would like it. It's about Tom, a kid who wants to be in a band and doesn't fit in all that well with his high school classmates, whose father died under mysterious circumstances when he was a kid. The plot riffs on how everyone basically has to read "The Catcher in the Rye" in high school, and there are two camps -- those who love it and think it's life-changing, and those who hate it and don't see the point of it. Tom falls in the latter category, but finding some books that used to belong to his father makes him look at it again.

How's that for Reading Rainbow? I guess it's fitting considering the topic that I feel like the biggest dork in the universe for writing this. Has anyone else read it? BBS book club?

nieh
06-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I actually knew about this already but haven't read the book myself. It was apparently bought by Will Farrell's production company and is being turned into a movie as well. It should be out late this year I think.

jacknife737
06-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Haven't read it yet, but definitely plan to this summer. Also, i'm quite sure Will Farrell is going to make it into a movie.

Little_Miss_1565
06-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I actually knew about this already but haven't read the book myself. It was apparently bought by Will Farrell's production company and is being turned into a movie as well. It should be out late this year I think.

No shit, really? That's fucking awesome. And here I was thinking about how I need to send a copy to my high school English teacher to spread the good word. Will Farrell will do it for me, bless him. Though I should still e-mail my old teacher to say hey.

Seriously, go pick it up. It's really fucking well written, and funny.

nieh
06-08-2008, 12:03 AM
I'll see if I can find it next time I'm in a book store, but it'll probably be a while before I actually end up reading it since I've still got like 3 other books to work through and they're the same 3 books I had like 6 months ago.

Conspiracyof1000
06-08-2008, 12:14 AM
I finished the book about a week ago! I love it. It's great.

WebDudette
06-08-2008, 03:31 AM
Sounds interesting. I'll try to find a copy.

<tangent>
So I never read The Catcher in the Rye in High School.

Should I expect it my Senior year or should I have seen it in English I? I may have missed it because I was in a regular English I class where everyone basically had downs.
</tangent>

Little_Miss_1565
06-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I never read it for a class, just on my own. I loved it when I was 11 and then I re-read it when I was 15 and I was like "Hmm, Holden is kind of crumby."

Little_Miss_1565
06-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Bumpage 'cuz I just finished it, and it was awesome.

Short_Attention_Span
06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Perfecto!

I started reading this last summer (?) but I never finished it. Next thing I knew, I had to go buy textbooks.
________
Kids Nexium (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/nexium/)

Little_Miss_1565
06-10-2008, 07:44 AM
You should go finish it.

todd5593
06-11-2008, 05:40 PM
omfg that book is so good
i didnt read catcher in the rye though -.-
i bet if you read CITR b4 you read it it would have more meaning
but yeah it basically makes you want to be a dork

Little_Miss_1565
05-11-2009, 08:16 PM
The movie is less unlikely to be made!

http://www.punknews.org/article/33490

"Practically every conversation I ever have with anyone eventually gets around to this question. What they're wondering about is the status of potential King Dork film. For some time now I really haven't had much of an answer.

as unlikely as it seemed, a new deal was reached just this week. The King Dork movie: it lives. This time around it is Sony Pictures. Same producers (Gary Sanchez.) Seth Gordon, the guy who did King of Kong, is attached to direct. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll get made but it is way more likely than it was last month."Frank continues to work on his next novel, Andromeda Klein. The book is due out August 25, 2009 (http://www.punknews.org/releasedetail/3677).

Andromeda Klein on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Andromeda-Klein-Frank-Portman/dp/0385735251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242098365&sr=8-1

I'm excited for the new book! Yay for nerdy girls into creepy things. The skeleton tattoo on my arm was based in part on a tarot reading I had once. :)

coke_a_holic
05-11-2009, 08:20 PM
When I was 15, I loved Holden Caulfield.

Reading it again, I realize that Holden's a jerk and he's supposed to be and that's how you're supposed to feel about him, basically. Pretty good stuff. I dig Salinger.

I'm definitely gonna look into this; it sounds awesome.

Little_Miss_1565
05-11-2009, 08:32 PM
When I was 15, I loved Holden Caulfield.

Reading it again, I realize that Holden's a jerk and he's supposed to be and that's how you're supposed to feel about him, basically.

I've had this exact same thought about Stephen Daedalus from "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man." Never made the connection before. Hmmm.

Omni
05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
The skeleton tattoo on my arm was based in part on a tarot reading I had once. :)

Do you hail from Planet Awesome or one of it's many moons?

Little_Miss_1565
05-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Do you hail from Planet Awesome or one of it's many moons?

I am the empress of the Planet Awesome.

nieh
07-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I finished reading it tonight. It was awesome, and now I kind of want a t-shirt for each band name they came up with throughout the whole thing.