PDA

View Full Version : y r ppl against mainstream music???

lost_nvrfound
01-08-2005, 10:58 PM
i don't get it... at first som ppl love a band cus they think that they're really really awesome and then the moment the band starts to become mainstream, they shun it aside... then the moment it falls out of the mainstream 4 a while, they start to love it again...

i don't get it at all... if u like a band, wuts the point in not liking it just becuz other ppl do... i kno some ppl who listen to the offspring only when they're not super mainstream... like ne time they come out w/ a new album they decide they don't like them nemore becuz evry1 else does... it confuse me... y, can ne1 explain to me the purpose of not liking something just bcuz its popular... does it make them feel special to fight the mainstream????

the original pyro
01-08-2005, 11:13 PM
high school kids that seek the approval of their peers and feel they need to do so in an original way seek out forms of music, clothing and other self expression that is alternative from the mainstream of popularity. They find a band they like that a few other people, but not too many others like, and decide to call themselves fans.

Or you could just decide you liked the earlier albums before they were millionairs. Either way.

bd007h
01-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I've wondered the same thing.

turb0negr0
01-08-2005, 11:29 PM
I hate when people do that...
I'll admit it, I still listen to Blink-182 and Green Day and of course The Offspring even though they're mainstream or "Sell-Outs".
It doesn't matter, they are still the same band just more popular.

Jojan
01-09-2005, 05:01 AM
Because they make a lot of money. They will be in the paper and on TV. and then they get well know because of the what is said in the media and not of the music. People will like them only because they are famous. People think they are good only because they're on MTV. They think that MTV is good and is showing the "cool" stuff - everybody wants to be cool. They make money. With money they can buy "cool" stuff. People want's to be like them because they are "cool" with their "cool" stuff. And then they try to be like the artist because they are "cool" and have "cool" stuff. Then they will try to start a band (or something) to be like the "cool" artist. People today are willing to go how far as posible to be like the "cool" persons. And then they have to abandon a lot. The ones who makes the cash will be the recrod labels and media. They'll make a lot more then what the artist will. But the artist is the one who must be on TV and must do the interviews and be exposed and exploited.

I have probobly misssed some things but you get the picture, right?

Jojan
01-09-2005, 05:06 AM
I forgot; The media will tell you what's good and what's bad.

meaning_of_life
01-09-2005, 05:17 AM
i agree with jojan and the original pyro. i went through a period of hating the offspring, when they released conspiracy of one, both because it was then that i relized they were now a fully mainstream band, and it was "cool to hate" the offspring. its the same with greenday, i loved them when dookie was released, and loathed them when nimrod was released. now i love them again because of american idiot. its a strange thing to explain how i went from love to hate to love... i dont really understand why i hated both bands, after they brought me such joy with earlier albums. must of been focusing on the image, and forgot the music.

offsprung
01-09-2005, 08:10 AM
when they get into mainstream, they change their sound. most bands at least.

Jojan
01-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Like this, Meaning_Of_Life? "I hate you so but love you more."

I dislikes some things that The Offspring does but I go back to them because they make good music.

meaning_of_life
01-09-2005, 04:48 PM
yeh, i cant really expain why i hated them for that period, though. :confused:

vintagepunkrock7
01-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Yea, you know, i have not liked bands in the past cuz they were too popular. Thinking about it now that just seems like such a stupid reason. but i have come to the conclusion that popular or not, if the music is good then its good and im gonna listen to it. i just wish i would have felt this way a long time ago!

lousyskater
01-09-2005, 10:16 PM
i personally don't like mainstream music because most of it(if not all) is done for money and not fans.

UgLy_eLf
01-09-2005, 11:04 PM
The band's music usually changes that's why I hate them not because they're mainsteam but because they fucking suck. What is it with mainstream music and it being so bad? I'd say about 2% of anything mainstream on TV and Radio that's ever good.

meaning_of_life
01-10-2005, 12:03 AM
i bought my first offspring album when i was eight years old, for the song gone away, and greendays dookie for basketcase. i then bought rage against the machine when i was nine, and all the offspring and rage cds. when i was 13 i started listening to slipknot, 14 i was listening to sepultura and slayer. my taste in music has gotten more and more alternative as i got older, mainly because i liked the idea of being into a band no one else i knew liked. i dont understand the psychology in that. the last couple of years i havnt cared less what i listen to, ive gone back to listening to the music i liked when i was eight. wEiRd.

lost_nvrfound
01-21-2005, 07:34 PM
i still don't really get it... but thats ok... i personally don't care whether the music i listen to is mainstream or not... and i disagree that most mainstream bands r in it 4 the money and not the fans... but it is true that many bands hav a drop in song quality or change their sound when they hit the mainstream... but that doesn't mean that u should ditch them completely... usually on the next album they re-find their way and they go bak to their original sound... but ppl shouldn't count mainstream as one big categorty of crappy music, cuz then u could miss out on a lot... and where i live, the music that i listen to 4 the most part will nvr hit mainstream bcuz i live in a state that is trying to hold bak, as best they can, the rock era... but i don't listen to the radio nemore, so it doesn't really matter wuts mainstream cuz i don't hear it overplayed ans thus, i don't get so tired of it... thats the only problem w/ mainstream music... the radio...

now i personally feel that i should shut up or else no one's gonna wanna read this

Mota Boy
01-21-2005, 09:22 PM
It's because people are morons in general, and teenagers are insecure specifically. Punks are essentially nerds that decided they were gonna stop trying to fit into an exclusionist system of popular kids, so they're going to go create a system that accepts everyone as long as they're enemies of the system. To fit in with much of the punk ethos, you have to hate anything that's popular in general and like anything that's popular in punk circles. It's amusing that a "movement" could be so caught up in being different from pop culture that they allow themselves to, in a way, be defined by it.

Vicky
01-22-2005, 01:51 AM
i like mainstream music.. and non mainstream.
and your original post hurt my eyes.

original_psycho
01-22-2005, 02:32 AM
I'm not against mainstream music. Maybe I hate a few mainstream songs or some mainstream bands, but it's because I think those songs or bands suck... And personaly, I love Splinter, especialy Worst Hangover Ever and Spare Me The Details!

nameless
01-22-2005, 12:03 PM
i do listen to "mainstream bands" but i kinda like the more raw sounding styles of a lot of groups who havent been ridiculously polished up in the studio for whatever reason by some major label.

i wouldnt say i have a problem with people on major labels but it seems to me to be taking part of the edge from the music, people do it to make money, they get finiancially secure for life probably, live the high life then split or vanish into thin air in a few years - busted, and they were only like 20 ish?

so im not against mainstream music in general and i know people will slate me for this but i dont like the way major labels work.

of course with bands like offspring and green day there are exceptions, particularly with offspring where they were just to big for their respective labels at one point!

Pinocchio
01-22-2005, 12:27 PM
I used to like rap and hip hop...but...

stopped liking it when nearly everything you can possibly imagine was tried to be sold me with rap... rap was so IN... everything was hip hop, clothes, music(rap beat& playing with words),all the tv commercials had rap included(didn`t matter how,rap just had to be included), hip hop pens, hip hop erasers, hip hop books, fucking hip hop condoms god damn it! :mad:

I don`t know if this same phenomenon was so evident there in the USA or germany or where ever youre from, but here in finland it was the mainstream and it made me sick of the hip hop..

lately I`ve began listening some rap again.. like ludacris..

Hyper nova
01-22-2005, 05:17 PM
I have no idea why people dont like bands because they became mainstream. Just because a band is good at what they do and become popular and even make some money out of it doesn't mean that you should no longer like them. Itssa crazy mister Faulty. Its understandable if you dont like them any more if their sound changes or your tastes but thats still no reason to call them sellouts. I think that people that call a band a "sellout" is just jealous cause a band has made lots of money out of somthing they like doing. Hell I dont like Pop but that cause of the sound and not becauses it popular. Hey i listen to everything from

offspring
Bad Religion
bowling for soup
blink
Sum 41

alsorts of punk/rock/pop like this

even bands like

darkness
evenesence
puddle of mudd

you name anything close to these line

there are just to many to name

Basically punk/rock/metal most alternitive stuff

hell I even like Avril

lol no mick taking plz

Anyway isnt punk abount doing and listening to what you want regardless of what other people think, whether its popular or not.

nameless
01-23-2005, 04:09 AM
I have no idea why people dont like bands because they became mainstream. Just because a band is good at what they do and become popular and even make some money out of it doesn't mean that you should no longer like them. Itssa crazy mister Faulty. Its understandable if you dont like them any more if their sound changes or your tastes but thats still no reason to call them sellouts. I think that people that call a band a "sellout" is just jealous cause a band has made lots of money out of somthing they like doing. Hell I dont like Pop but that cause of the sound and not becauses it popular. Hey i listen to everything from

offspring
Bad Religion
bowling for soup
blink
Sum 41

alsorts of punk/rock/pop like this

even bands like

darkness
evenesence
puddle of mudd

you name anything close to these line

there are just to many to name

Basically punk/rock/metal most alternitive stuff

hell I even like Avril

lol no mick taking plz

Anyway isnt punk abount doing and listening to what you want regardless of what other people think, whether its popular or not.

few bands become mainstream on lesser labels, the thing i dont like is when bands arent good at what they do but still become popular due to the fact the label has branded them as being "in" and what will sell them lots of records.

Hyper nova
01-23-2005, 06:35 AM
few bands become mainstream on lesser labels, the thing i dont like is when bands arent good at what they do but still become popular due to the fact the label has branded them as being "in" and what will sell them lots of records.

Thats true I agree but i dont see the point in calling a band like Offspring "Sellouts" and stop listening to them becasue they become popular and have move labels. So they moved label. Big Deal (no pun intended) they are still the same band (nearly).

All though at the end of the day people can have there opinion listen to what they want but should listen to things just cause its "Cool" or "in" or to go angaist the system for the sake of it.

"I don't wanna be controled" springs to mind

dirty_magic
01-23-2005, 09:18 AM
mainstream music isnt always bad, it just it 99% of the time! loads of bands who have signed big record contracts and have become mainstream are now just making music for money and it sounds shit! for example blinks recent stuff!

ThePidgeonMaster
01-23-2005, 11:49 AM
That's a good point. I've never really looked at it that way b4 because if I like something, I'll keep listening to it. I am the only person (that i know) that likes Metallica's St. Anger album. I listen to Billy Idol even after he brought punk to the mainstream. Sue me.

Naz
01-23-2005, 12:05 PM
I dont think I have ever stopped liking bands when they became more popular.
1997 was my year for getting into bands like Greenday, Blink 182, Foo Fighters, The Offspring etc... and today theyre still my favourite.

Ive had so many arguments with people who havent respected what music I like. Its pathetic. Just let people enjoy whatever the hell they want. If the band and the music mean something special to you, then nobody should feel guilty and embarrassed by what they listen to.

I only get annoyed when people I knew said the bands i liked were terrible. Those bands later on hit mainstream and suddenly those people who didnt like them before were suddenly fans after seeing the band in a music video.

One friend who called Green Day 'boring and terrible' 6 months later after hearing their album went and saw them live and didnt even ask me if i wanted to go! (I went anyway, and he had to sell his tickets for work commitments haha)

I dont speak to him anymore lol

lost_nvrfound
01-23-2005, 07:11 PM
lately, my philosophy has been "to fuck w/ the radio and all that overplayed bullshit!" radio stations keep ruinin all my favorite NEW songs by overplayin them... so i just stopped listenin to it... so i kno if a band i like is mainstream but i don't give a rats ass cuz i don't hav to listen to it ruinin the music 4 me...yay! 4 my philosophy

Pinocchio
01-24-2005, 04:18 AM
dude your signature rocks :D

lost_nvrfound

meaning_of_life
01-24-2005, 04:50 AM
It's because people are morons in general, and teenagers are insecure specifically. Punks are essentially nerds that decided they were gonna stop trying to fit into an exclusionist system of popular kids, so they're going to go create a system that accepts everyone as long as they're enemies of the system. To fit in with much of the punk ethos, you have to hate anything that's popular in general and like anything that's popular in punk circles. It's amusing that a "movement" could be so caught up in being different from pop culture that they allow themselves to, in a way, be defined by it.
i agree with this theory. maybe not in all cases, but the punks i know are kids who used to try to fit in, but were never excepted. instead of trying to be cool and part of the crowd they went the other way and hate everything they wanted to be a part of. damn geeks.

lost_nvrfound
01-26-2005, 05:25 PM
dude your signature rocks :D

lost_nvrfound

thx... i 4got where i found it

bouncingcoles
01-26-2005, 08:29 PM
well with what happened with me and AFI. i loved AFI before they went mainstream. but when they went mainstream i just kinda lost my interest. i still liked them. but it just wasnt the same. but when fans get attatched to a band before they get big or whatever it feels almost like they have gotten betrayed by the band. its hard to explain. and also a lot of bands change there sound when they turn mainstream so they will appeal to more people. but i seriosly hate it when fucking good charlotte loving teeny boppers are like i love AFI even though they have heard one song. its better when bands are small because you can meet them easily after shows and everything.