PDA

View Full Version : Music Video

Pages : 1 [2]

Selfesteem_
06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Holy shit, your lack of interpretation amazes me! The song compares the act of war with the school shootings, so the video DOES make sense.

I agree, you dont need a college degree to understand what is being portrayed in the video, for the people who are here just to whine about it, why not sign onto the forum at the website that caters for the people who dont appreciate anything and have a fucked view of everything.

hshduppsnt
06-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey you complainers, what are you waiting for???? There's a contest out there. If you are good video makers as well as you're good at saying bad things, I expect wonderful videos.

haha nice try ;)
I qualified all of my statements with if only I had the talent to do better hahaha :)

Camilamazed
06-09-2008, 06:46 PM
So good to see one more person that liked it.

=]

TeddyBear_Army
06-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I liked it! It's super dark. Some of the models and such reminded me of Tool videos. Soldiers leaping to their deaths from stacked up H2s. I think the animation was a good way to go.

I personally hate it when videos illustrate what the song is really about. Look at Men At Work's "Down Under" for the most egregious example of it.

If you hate the video, GO MAKE A BETTER ONE ON YOUTUBE! :)

exactly moderatrix! I wuv you, even though you send me threatening PMs!

jacknife737
06-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Iím starting to like the video the more I watch it, although. I still think itís a bit too cluttered, but certainly its not as bad as I thought initially.

Camilamazed
06-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Has it ocurred to anyone that the old guy and the baby can be the same person?

He is old just looking back on what has happened to his life as he was fed, let's say the idea of war?

punker
06-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I really liked this video, why are people fans of things that are so explicit? that doesn't let you think any part of it?, did you wanted to see the band playing? go to youtube and search for live ones, there are tons of it.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I actually liked some of the contest videos better than the official video. I've watched it a few times and I just can't like it. This is why I don't really like music videos in general. Focusing on the music itself makes the song much more enjoyable to me.

The_BlackSwordsman
06-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Hmm ok.

I gotta say. Nice concept, powerful messages and visuals, good symbolism.

But the animation was CRAP! :( Really, the visual effects were good (not so much the explosions...), I like the grain filter, but the actual animation of the models was terrible. Inexpressive and hard. (they repeated the old man head shot several times as that was the only expression they knew how to make. Very amateurish. )

And I love animation. *sigh*

Good concept, bad execution. The animation job was bad.

hshduppsnt
06-09-2008, 07:37 PM

He is old just looking back on what has happened to his life as he was fed, let's say the idea of war?

i like the bird thats a stealth bomber, that's a neat effect.

Does that count? hahaha... (Edit: why i even quoted your post in the first place - Yes I totally thought that! woo hoo
I didn't potentially miss every metaphor! hahaha) (edit 2: I should clarify, its not the animation itself that I'm finding odd...
its the content, the animation is nice, dark, gritty and distorted. That part is actually pretty good)

I dunno... though 1565 makes a good point, men at work video = worst. thing. ever.

Maybe thinking up ideas for vid contest just surprised me when this ended up being kinda different... but regardless I'm gonna have to sit on it some more before I can change my mind, all i can still say is Odd...

Pranksta
06-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Gotta say I'm very disappointed with this video. One would've thought that after the poor reception of the Hit That vid they wouldn't go back into this direction... Not that I'm completely against using animation in music videos (although it's usually not a good idea imo), this one just plain sucked. Irrelevant to the song content, unpleasant to watch, and a very hard to follow storyline, if any.
I miss the Americana/CO1 times... Noodles walking up the driveway busting out the riff to Pretty Fly, you can't beat that.

spidey255
06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
The way everyone feels now is similar to how bad religion fans (including me) feel every time they release a music video.

You think this Hammerhead is bad? Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpKWJZQDAjY

edit: nevermind. I just watched it again. The Bad Religion video is better.

hshduppsnt
06-09-2008, 07:43 PM
The way everyone feels now is similar to how bad religion fans (including me) feel every time they release a music video.

You think this Hammerhead is bad? Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpKWJZQDAjY

reminds me of super old superman cartoons for some reason :confused:

that video was pretty bad...

but yeah... no hammerhead clearly not the worst video... its just... odd...

EDIT: LOL at your edit...

leo3375
06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Having given it another viewing, I still feel that it's very, very busy. But I have an interpretation:

In this world, children are living in a very dangerous time and are being indoctrinated into becoming soldiers and fighting in the wars, not realizing that they are seen as expendable by the powers that be: politicians represented as elephants and the corporate leaders as pigs. The old man may be looking back on his childhood and his time in the military. I believe he was the child at the coffin and the soldier in the "infantry."

cool 2 hate 681
06-09-2008, 07:50 PM

im sorry but the hammerhead video is worse then raise your voice and dream of unity put together

edit here is the raise your voice video pretty bad stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmiALqJA-dk

jaum.herrera
06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I also think similar to the idea of the Leo3375
But still pra has many scenes to argue, with certainty, a clip very elaborated well.

Pranksta
06-09-2008, 07:56 PM

Hmm, yeah that is pretty bad. Looks like a bunch of Homers walking around with hammers. But still, I could kind of see the "simple but powerful" attempt at a message in that one. The Hammerhead video is just one big mess.

Autonomist
06-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Terrible. Just terrible.

Cock Joke
06-09-2008, 08:08 PM

All I know is that evil looking baby=awesomeness!

Now that I can view the video on Youtube, I can enjoy it more! :D IGN's streamer just fucking sucks!

Although this is the worst video they have ever done, I still like it. And if you think about it, a whole ton of Offspring videos have just been scene after scene of random clips. It's just that this time they've done it in CGI (I think) and it's in a way lower quality than most of their later ones.

Camilamazed
06-09-2008, 08:27 PM
The evil baby actually scared me. :o

Paki7491
06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
All i see in this video is Animal Farm, and robot dogs from Farenheit 451. But seriously that sucked balls. They should've learned their lesson from Hit That, because this is just plain horrible.

Lol, the whole boards is us complaining about the video, but earlier if we complained about the songs they posts would get deleted by mods.

Cejus
06-09-2008, 09:01 PM
The pigs certainly remind me of Animal Farm, and the dogs to Fahrenheit 451, but... UGH! It was so terribly bad done! I mean, it's not only scary enough no to be liked by anyone, the animation's are so badly done that it makes me want to rip my eyes off. The movement of the people in the video are so... so last century! Also, it seems like they're trying to put so much symbolism in it that it ends having no sense at all. It's made of pieces, and that seems cheap.

I'm really disappointed, it's the worst video I've seen in my life. Of any band. And I must say, I LOVE videos that are weird, but this? Come on! They better not release it. They better just release the best fans-contest video.

The worst thing is that people are actually believing that that's the video chosen by The Offspring in their contest. Look at Youtube's comments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmMog8KkK6o).

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
06-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Can't Repeat video > all.

But honestly, that video was fucking shit. Are they just too lazy to make a video they just pay somebody to put a bunch of cartoons together?

Peedr
06-09-2008, 09:43 PM
The video is not that bad, I think it's pretty good, but I could imagine much better video, though. I hope, it'll grow on me and I'll find out what the creators wanted to say - for now, it just seems quite random...

pretty_fly_white_guy858
06-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Reminded me way too much of Hit That..but I guess it'll grow on us.

Thomas
06-09-2008, 10:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Ma1HadPwc

^if that one was finished, I bet it would have been awesome. The animation just seems more mature and more interesting. They could have stuck with a lot of the same ideas and symbolism with a video like that one. Oh well...

I'll just hope it grows on me.

Jaded skies
06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
although its hella weird, id take it over them just playing in a dark abandoned room....

Short_Attention_Span
06-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Okay, the video was odd. I didn't particularly care for it, but I did like some of the symbolism it had and there were parts, like the air-bomber bird, that kind of reminded me of a really bad throwback to the Wall.

But... seriously, this is bad?! I've seen many that are worse, and as someone pointed out, just pick a random Bad Religion video and this one pwns it, easy.
________
KMART GIFT CARDS (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/kmart-gift-cards/)

the hitcher
06-09-2008, 10:12 PM
can someone please send a link to the vid

Short_Attention_Span
06-09-2008, 10:14 PM
can someone please send a link to the vid

Bam! Here you go. (http://music.ign.com/dor/objects/746909/the-offspring/videos/offspring_hammerhead.html)
________
CoeD (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/CoeD/)

Satanic_Surfer
06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Right, wanna bet the guy who made that video has played Shadow of the Colossus?

:p

http://gamers-globe.com/images/screenshots/shadow-of-the-colossus/shadow-of-the-colossus-ps2-016.jpg

the hitcher
06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Bam! Here you go. (http://music.ign.com/dor/objects/746909/the-offspring/videos/offspring_hammerhead.html)

hey thanks man for puting it up
but its stutering for some reason
why is this or is ther somewere else like youtube
i can get to see it

Satanic_Surfer
06-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Absolutely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HPhvp8qrO8

Ninty Man
06-09-2008, 10:30 PM
FOR FUCK SAKE!!!!!!!!!!
Men... is as bad as The streets of america video from bad religion

the hitcher
06-09-2008, 10:39 PM
thanks Satanic_Surfer

Satanic_Surfer
06-09-2008, 10:41 PM
FOR FUCK SAKE!!!!!!!!!!
Men... is as bad as The streets of america video from bad religion

Havent seen, but i take it you're just pro-war, no matter what...

Somethings just arent justified, and if you think they are... well try them to yourself first and tell me what you'd think of it then.

Cejus
06-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok, I've been thinking about the video on my way to work, 'cause after watching it once I just can't get those fucking horrid images of my head. I think I'm going to have nightmares with it.

Anyway, what I was thinking is that its symbolism is somehow similar with George Orwell's novels. I don't know why, but it reminds me a lot to Animal Farm and Nineteen eighty-four. Maybe it's the soldiers and pigs. And btw, those are two of my favourite books. I love Orwell's style.

But the poor quality of the animation and the creepiness of it ruins every possible symbolism that may appear in the video. It's so saddening.

Cejus
06-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm sorry you guys, you can talk about symbolism and everything, i get that.. but.. i mean.. the models were poor, the animation was poor, the explosions were poor, there was very very very little rhythm with the music..
That's the problem with the video, guys! And its creepiness.

thrice170487
06-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Having given it another viewing, I still feel that it's very, very busy. But I have an interpretation:

In this world, children are living in a very dangerous time and are being indoctrinated into becoming soldiers and fighting in the wars, not realizing that they are seen as expendable by the powers that be: politicians represented as elephants and the corporate leaders as pigs. The old man may be looking back on his childhood and his time in the military. I believe he was the child at the coffin and the soldier in the "infantry."

Thats nearly what I thougt about the video...I think its great...just give it some time...

And dont you think that the you all call "poor" animation is just a link to computer games and stuff?...just another "influence" for those children...

Pepsaj
06-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm dissapointed. I'm glad I'm not the one here. Firtsly I simply don't understand it! What's going on there? It's probably saying about war somehow but this "somehow" is not very clear for me.
It's so similar to Hit That. Too bad...

Cejus
06-09-2008, 11:37 PM
And dont you think that the you all call "poor" animation is just a link to computer games and stuff?...just another "influence" for those children...
ha! Maybe... but I believe it's just poor animation, there's no symbolic excuse for it :p I guess the problem with this video was that they had too little time to make it, so they had to do it in a hurry.

I really really really hope that they make another video, or maybe just use the one made by the fans.

mrs_hollandova
06-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Ooooooo, I dont like this video! Offspring always had nice videos, this is horrible. Too dark, too sad... Whats next? Dexter EMO? Hehehe.

leo3375
06-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Sounds like this is the consensus: It's too busy and convoluted to make any sense. The concept is interesting but could have been better executed. The animation is very hit or miss. And we like seeing the band in the videos, rather than not appearing at all in them. The Offspring are not TOOL.

Dead Kennedy
06-09-2008, 11:44 PM
i don't like the video,its just not interesting. okay,i understad,there is that message and stuff,but its kinda boring

danitanev
06-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey friends is there any possibility to download Hammerhead video now somehow? :D

medi01
06-10-2008, 12:55 AM
does anyone actually like the video???

it really did suck.

disclaimer_07
06-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Even this fan video (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nebw_zzWo20) seems better.

Phix
06-10-2008, 01:16 AM
yes, too similar to hit that. didn't like it. the subject of the video is poor. on second thought kinda reminds me of eminem's mosh. or maybe green day with their whole concept of american idiot. i don't know. shootings in schools seemed a much better idea. and was really looking forward seeing the band in another video. guess they're getting old and wanted to spare us:D hope half-truism or yggfk will be better. and cooler

F@ BANKZ
06-10-2008, 01:27 AM
What the hell, what the HELL!!
It reuses to load...

Jesus
06-10-2008, 01:40 AM
First time, didn't like it had that same negative feeling most people here had (I hardly ever like videos straight away or it must have hot womenz)
Second time, was well maybe it's more meh than bad
Third time was more like okay

So maybe it'll grow on me. And if you didn't like it, I'd advise you to watch it a couple times. I still miss the band in it though.

-I liked the references to fahrenheit 451 (mechanical dogs), animal farm (pigs) and the GOP (elephants).
-Soldiers jumping of cars (oil guzzling machines) to their death
-The kid being bullied around 2.06
-The soldier feeding the baby with oil fields at the back
-birds bomber reference
-scary baby/kid
-it's fucking dark

Has a lot of shit going on that'll probably grow on me.
Can't really see this getting much airplay in the US though and can be understood in so many wrong ways, like: "mr Holland are you saying that our soldiers are suicide jumpers?"

The Search Button
06-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Well, atleast it's impossible to stay indifferent to the video. That's good.

It's growing on me too. I didn't noticed on the first view some school refences, and they are definitly there.

What about in the end with the animals carrying the bombs?
No oil no fun, eh.

F@ BANKZ
06-10-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm actually never going to watch that again, ever.

n00b
06-10-2008, 01:56 AM
That was a huge waste of time.

RobinoZombie
06-10-2008, 02:11 AM
if it even would be aired in the us, it would be so heavily censored so that they would need too add performance footage, or something. or cut it short, haha remix style, the video would be like 2.5mins or something.

Jack-UK
06-10-2008, 03:27 AM
I'm actually never going to watch that again, ever.
Same here, its actually ruined some of the imagery i had in my head when listening to Hammerhead without the video... I'll stick with my imagination thanks.

And you're gonna need a better video than that to get some decent coverage on MTV... I guarentee you people will laugh at the crapness of the video. I know i did.

Free?
06-10-2008, 04:08 AM
Ooooooo, I dont like this video! Offspring always had nice videos, this is horrible. Too dark, too sad... Whats next? Dexter EMO? Hehehe.

Now that's an example of being a simpleton :mad: :mad:

After some time, I'm finding myself being absolutely right on my first HH vid impression post.

Okay, we definately want to hear Dexter's explanation on this video. It was at level that I've expected. Not too bad, but far from perfect either ( I may be wrong though, the video like this requires much time to understand it . I'm pretty fucking sure if the animation wouldn't be so feckin poor video would look much better. And it doesn't look as good as RHCP's Otherside video for sure. You fall in love with Otherside from the first watch regardless that it doesn't have any technically better visuals, but it has it's own style and there are no attempts to show you poorly animated humans..
It's very symbolic which is good, it's also not-another-pop-punk video which is good aswell, but fuckin teqtonik screwed the rest! How those bastards can call themselves professional studio when there are loads game with better graphics in gameplay than in their-made official music videos?!! :mad: I know it's not about graphics, but come ooon, check their website and look at their works... They are OUTDATED! Their visuals would work in 90's, but it's fucking 10 years ago. Terminator / Alien movies that are made even earlier look soo damn better than teqtonik's made-in-2008 animation videos. It wouldn't bother me, but they made so poor video for such brilliant song, the song that will millions remember as the beginning of Offspring's victory march...
I'm pretty sure that I will like the video more in the future, thanks god it's not simple and plain one. And one more good thing about Hammerhead vid - it will reveal itself not after the 1st watching, not after 2nd, not after 3rd... it will need some attention and time to fully understand the video.

Now I'm starting to like it more and more.

The message of this post is : Hammerhead video is pretty good, the only bad thing about that is weak animation, which is not the band's fault, so stop fucking bitching about things you can not understand, and if you dislike that, post constructive critics, not fucking "OMG that suxx" posts. You are fucking shame to be the band's fans.

darea
06-10-2008, 04:16 AM
I can imagine this being aired in france, first because there are so many offspring fans, second because there usually isnt much sensorship but then again with our new president there might be.
I thought the video was a fan video at first,there's a lot going on and whats really disappointing is not seein the band even for a few senconds. Its very weird and weird can be good. I'd have to watch it loads to get to really like it. Its not bad but not as good as I thought it would be. At least I hope when there next single comes out, they'll do videos with THEM in it.

splinterosaur
06-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Have to say this was something I didn't expect... This is surely different, but I would rather have seen the guys themselves in it instead. Too bad they have such a horrible video for such a great song! Argh!

H1T_That
06-10-2008, 04:41 AM
link please someone?

darea
06-10-2008, 04:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmMog8KkK6o

I can't say it sucks. Cause the images and all are there for a special purpose and if the band isn't there its because they wanted to give the images more than themselves, but just like a few seconds of them playing (even if its less than the kids arent alright , which was an awesome video) would have been nice. I don't like all those pigs either! but yeah it must all mean something.

rise_and_fall
06-10-2008, 04:47 AM
http://au.music.ign.com/dor/objects/746909/the-offspring/videos/offspring_hammerhead.html;jsessionid=6dfpra8knjm4p

There's the link....
I am so dissapointed at this, one of the worst efforts at making a video in history.... No storyline and it just doesn't make any sense. I hope this is not the offical video and well nothing has been posted on the band's imeem site so I hope this is just a joke, cause thats what this is, a joke

Dexter_italy
06-10-2008, 04:50 AM
http://au.music.ign.com/dor/objects/746909/the-offspring/videos/offspring_hammerhead.html;jsessionid=6dfpra8knjm4p

There's the link....
I am so dissapointed at this, one of the worst efforts at making a video in history.... No storyline and it just doesn't make any sense. I hope this is not the offical video and well nothing has been posted on the band's imeem site so I hope this is just a joke, cause thats what this is, a joke

It's the official video...don't be dumb.....you don't like it? don't watch it and enjoy the song man
________
Amateur Tube (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/1/amateur/videos/1)

The Search Button
06-10-2008, 04:53 AM
After a few more views what can I add to the discussion. Let me see.

I think that the poor animation is intended. Look, when you have nothing to say at all you just get a pretty package and thats it. But here it's the message that is important. Look beyond the images, get the ideas.

Also, I think the attitude of some people is just plain wrong.

For those who say they wont watch it again, I think you should because the more you see it the better you will understand it. TheOffspring made this video, they want you to get their message. For those who say this video wont sell the album i agree, and I'm kind of happy about that because I don't wont TRL attention on the band again.

The problem with this clip it's that it makes people think. And people hate to think nowaday. Especially when image is envolved. They just hate it.

H1T_That
06-10-2008, 04:59 AM
Yeah, it's shit.

Nevermind, at least the song is still awesome.

rise_and_fall
06-10-2008, 05:13 AM

I think that the poor animation is intended. Look, when you have nothing to say at all you just get a pretty package and thats it. But here it's the message that is important. Look beyond the images, get the ideas.

For those who say they wont watch it again, I think you should because the more you see it the better you will understand it. TheOffspring made this video, they want you to get their message. For those who say this video wont sell the album i agree, and I'm kind of happy about that because I don't wont TRL attention on the band again.

The problem with this clip it's that it makes people think. And people hate to think nowaday. Especially when image is envolved. They just hate it.

"Thinking is Just Overated!"

The Search Button
06-10-2008, 05:15 AM
"Thinking is Just Overated!"

You right!

I'm off to decapitate my mom, my dad, my girlfriend and my baby too!

SiLeNtWaLkEr
06-10-2008, 05:39 AM
"The problem with this clip it's that it makes people think. And people hate to think nowaday. Especially when image is envolved. They just hate it.[/QUOTE]"

I disagree with you, most of the people who are at some point "intelectual" lol like to view clips that makes you think.. i show the video to one of my friends and he says "wow this video is awesome, i love the message! Only i think that at some times the music isn't too much coordinated with the video" and this is exactly what i think!

MATKO5000
06-10-2008, 05:42 AM
"Only i think that at some times the music isn't too much coordinated with the video"

Yes that was actually my first thought, it just doesn't fit the music, make that a first priority, there can still be a message if the clip is good to watch but actually it just annoys me.. But hey, the song fucking rocks! xD

The Search Button
06-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Yes that was actually my first thought, it just doesn't fit the music, make that a first priority, there can still be a message if the clip is good to watch but actually it just annoys me.. But hey, the song fucking rocks! xD

How does not fit the song?

There are clearly military references. There are clear school references.

There are atleast two explosions and they fit with Dexter's powerful vocal moments.

offspringer24
06-10-2008, 05:57 AM
it's just lame, i'll try and watching it again but i can't see me changing my mind with this one!

but to be honest i think the second single from this album is going to be toooo huge anyways it won't make a difference!

disclaimer_07
06-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Guess I need time.

darea
06-10-2008, 06:02 AM
At least its much better and much more interesting than "hit that". And I guess who those who are too lasy to think, maybe you can eventually think if you have a moment when you feel like it... or let other people who want to think about the messages in the video so that they can give their opinion for you.

I'm gonna let my bf interpret the images!! I'd like to know more about those pigs...

Free?
06-10-2008, 06:10 AM
It's good to see that people here stopped whining and started to create some constructive posts. All the whiners go to page 31 of this thread, scroll down and read my post there.

Paki7491
06-10-2008, 06:47 AM
The message of this post is : Hammerhead video is pretty good, the only bad thing about that is weak animation, which is not the band's fault, so stop fucking bitching about things you can not understand, and if you dislike that, post constructive critics, not fucking "OMG that suxx" posts. You are fucking shame to be the band's fans.

Waah? Go cry more about us complaining. The majority of us don't like it. We're not such Elite fans like you. You want something contructive? OK. The Band should stop with the fucking animation videos. So far, they've all sucked. We're also dissapointed cause the album itself is probably the best one they've ever come out with, so that fact that the video sucks just makes it even worse by comparison. This video is going to be locked away, and after this thread no one should ever talk about it again. We'll all just pretend like it didn't happen. Just like we did with Hit That.

So if the band needs help in the next video ok here is what the fans want:
WE WANT TO SEE YOU ROCKING OUT.

Dead Kennedy
06-10-2008, 07:02 AM
:

hellyeah for THAT!

mrs_hollandova
06-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I dont understand why they made this video. They worked so hard on a new album! And the song is good. Little bit long... but good. I dont know why they dont want to show their faces in videos anymore, they all are pretty ;) Honestly!
Offspring was alway californian sunny punk, nice men who are making jokes from people, and sometimes from themselfs as well.
The video seems to me like UK advert for people to join army. I HATE THIS! IM NOT INTERESTED IN SOLDIERS AND GUNS! I NEED GOOD MUSIC AND BEAUTIFUL DEXTER IN A VIDEO!
AND IM YOUR HUGE FAN SO I DESERVE IT!
:eek:

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Very, very different ... but then again, so is the album.

I have watched it a few times and I do like it, but the only thing I don't understand and I am sure that it has been mentioned here a few times, I haven't read all the posts but ... what is with the pigs, I don't get it.

The Search Button
06-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Very, very different ... but then again, so is the album.

I have watched it a few times and I do like it, but the only thing I don't understand and I am sure that it has been mentioned here a few times, I haven't read all the posts but ... what is with the pigs, I don't get it.

Well at first I took the pigs as the democratic party. The elephants as the republican party and they keep rotating but the situation is always the same.

That's just me though. I'm not american so I may be decoding this incorrectly.

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Well at first I took the pigs as the democratic party. The elephants as the republican party and they keep rotating but the situation is always the same.

That's just me though. I'm not american so I may be decoding this incorrectly.

You may have a point, but I don't think that they fit into the concept of the video ... very odd

The Search Button
06-10-2008, 08:28 AM
You may have a point, but I don't think that they fit into the concept of the video ... very odd

Actually nobody knows for sure what is the song about, in the first place.

All we have are some sound bites, from Dexter saying the song is about school shootings.

But the true is that, that girl that interviewed them at Kroq Weenie Roast said the song was very political and Dexter didn't say nothing against it.

TheOldMark
06-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Is it just me, or is this video retarded and has little or nothing to do with the song?
No doubt artsier than the Hit That video, but I don't get it.

I'd really like to hear the bands comments on the video. What are you trying to say? Do you just not want to be in first single videos anymore because you dont want the MTV image? Is it some kind of "punk" statement? Is it supposed to be an artsy statement? This is your second fully animated video, that hardcore and casual fans alike are pretty much indifferent too.
I remember in the greatest hits video commentary, dexter and noodles didnt talk about the video at all, they talked about some news story, and sort of had the "we dont care for this video and have nothing to say about it", so what are you trying to say with a second animated video you're not in at all?
and how does this "message" tie in with the video contest? Are you trying to say "fuck you Sony, our fans can do a better job?"

Manic Subsida
06-10-2008, 08:31 AM
But hey guys! Would some little crappy Teqtonik's another casual animation screw our happiness of RAFRAG's brilliance?
NO FUCKING WAY!
NO WAY. ^^
RAFRAG is gonna be a great album.

The Search Button
06-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Is it just me, or is this video retarded and has little or nothing to do with the song?
No doubt artsier than the Hit That video, but I don't get it.

I'd really like to hear the bands comments on the video. What are you trying to say? Do you just not want to be in first single videos anymore because you dont want the MTV image? Is it some kind of "punk" statement? Is it supposed to be an artsy statement? This is your second fully animated video, that hardcore and casual fans alike are pretty much indifferent too.
I remember in the greatest hits video commentary, dexter and noodles didnt talk about the video at all, they talked about some news story, and sort of had the "we dont care for this video and have nothing to say about it", so what are you trying to say with a second animated video you're not in at all?
and how does this "message" tie in with the video contest? Are you trying to say "fuck you Sony, our fans can do a better job?"

My advice is: Forget what may or may not be around the video and focus on the video itself. There's plenty of messages in there, already.

Manic Subsida
06-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Uh...I wasn't expecting this. Well, it's not a really bad movie, but it's faaar away from really good. I think Teqtonik has done a bad job, and I'm surprised that Offspring wanna have it this way.

90% of us think this is bad, 10% like it.

It's a bit pitty, 'caus the music is DAMN good, but I don't think it's gonna be as popular as I thought with this music video.

noodler
06-10-2008, 08:57 AM
I have only just watched it. As one of the older fans here (I would bet), we should defo give it time.

It is alot better than the crap that was PFFAWG and OP. I am not crazy about it at the mo but I think the link between the song and video is pretty obvious.

Lightning Rod
06-10-2008, 09:39 AM
What........A..........FUCK........

No More Offspring
This Is Worst Thing they Ever Did.

I'm stop watching this "genius" video when i saw 00-40 on timeline...then :(
The real offspring come from ST ERA, Inspire us with energy By IGNITION and conquer the world with SMASH. Now They Try To reborn?
They just burn on.
(for me...a lot stuff in new songs repeat the old years)(the album begins with good energy but somewhere in the middle it brakes out....the last track is awfull..i think "that's gonna be a real punk like conspiracy of one and smash songs" by the title but it's crap)

And Yeah Noodles Your're Right
No joke songs, Offspring gets "too fucking serious"

Only In My Opinion

slimtim
06-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Its gotta be a poor video if the offspring's most hardcore fans dislike it and can't even understand it.
When I watch it, I can tell their trying to give us a message on oil and gasoline. You can see the pigs sucking up the oil, and then dollar bills being thrown to the floor later in the video. With people dieing in the war. Thats the only message I got from it.

Steph
06-10-2008, 10:34 AM
When I first saw it I was like "what the...?"
I expected something completly different. I don't think I like it...But that's only my opinion.

EDIT: But the song is still fuckin great

Free?
06-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Waah? Go cry more about us complaining. The majority of us don't like it. We're not such Elite fans like you. You want something contructive? OK. The Band should stop with the fucking animation videos. So far, they've all sucked. We're also dissapointed cause the album itself is probably the best one they've ever come out with, so that fact that the video sucks just makes it even worse by comparison. This video is going to be locked away, and after this thread no one should ever talk about it again. We'll all just pretend like it didn't happen. Just like we did with Hit That.

So if the band needs help in the next video ok here is what the fans want:

Mate if you disagree with anything I'm about to say, read my posts to know exactly what I've told. Because in this post you clearly misunderstood me.
Feel free to critisize / adore video.I'm not against constructive critics. I'm against 3-words critics like "OMG teh shit". I fucking hate such haters. If you don't like the vid - be able to say something argumented, not throw 2 words. That's it!
And I didn't like the animation part aswell (go to page 31 and read about that), and I didn't asked people to pretend that everything is fine with everybody.
I didn't say anything about my Eliteness, so that's another thing that is born in your head.
The real part that I didn't like about your post is using "cry more" line as a cheap and pretty dirty attempt to piss me, when it was you who didn't understand.

Jack-UK
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
It honestly looks to me as if The Offspring had very very little involvement in the creation of it... Looks like they gave em the song, a copy of the lyrics and said yeah "Make it symbolic.." and so we get soldiers and random things which don't tie into the actual song meaning in any way..

Whether you 'love it' or 'hate it' i think everyone's gotta admit that its made poorly... poor models, poor animation etc etc. Much much better out there..

Capricorn4
06-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Many of you guys are disappointed because they told us that the song is about school shooting,and then we got a totally different subject in the video with soldiers and depressing effects like that old man and other things.In addition they didn't appear in the video,which makes it similar to Hit that,but I think it's better because it has more meaning to me.Just my opinion.

Vera
06-10-2008, 12:19 PM
If you're gonna do computer animation, I swear to god, it just needs to be better.

Still love the song, though.

Zebulon
06-10-2008, 12:25 PM

I understand that, if you like the video, you are confused as to why people dislike it and try to come up with a negative reason for doing so. The truth is, the bad animation wasn't "intentional". God, at least I hope not. If it was, then it took even MORE away from the message because it was so bad and choppy it was like "WTF?". Also, people don't hate to think, they aren't to lazy to think. A music video is a music video, and that's really all it is; they are meant to be flashy and cool. But, many bands do still put messages, and that's fine. But this video just went way too far with the symbolism. It went so far that it's hard to even piece it together, it's just so abstract thinking about it isn't even worth it. WTF is with the pigs, the elephants, the flying birds, the baby, the commando dude, it's just a fucking mess and it's easily the worst video I've ever seen.

Love the song, though.:rolleyes:

Steph
06-10-2008, 12:47 PM
It's worse than Hit that. Can you really hit that?:D
Noo, Hit That is not that bad...

BuckyO'Hare
06-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't know yet, if it's good or bad, but it's pretty damn interesting.

I can't stop watching it.

EDIT: I think I'm just too stupid to understand it.

disclaimer_07
06-10-2008, 12:56 PM
I understand that, if you like the video, you are confused as to why people dislike it and try to come up with a negative reason for doing so. The truth is, the bad animation wasn't "intentional". God, at least I hope not. If it was, then it took even MORE away from the message because it was so bad and choppy it was like "WTF?". Also, people don't hate to think, they aren't to lazy to think. A music video is a music video, and that's really all it is; they are meant to be flashy and cool. But, many bands do still put messages, and that's fine. But this video just went way too far with the symbolism. It went so far that it's hard to even piece it together, it's just so abstract thinking about it isn't even worth it. WTF is with the pigs, the elephants, the flying birds, the baby, the commando dude, it's just a fucking mess and it's easily the worst video I've ever seen.

Love the song, though.:rolleyes:

Maybe we can classify it as "Music Video Surrealism".

Dragnet
06-10-2008, 12:59 PM
This must have cost 500 dollars maximum. looks like shit though. are kids really this demented nowadays to think this video game shit looks cool??? Then I would have preferred no video at all.

ThunderPX
06-10-2008, 01:00 PM
OF COURSE

*slaps self*

Now I get it! Why couldn't I see this song was about pigs, robot dogs and shittily animated old men before!?

mat.kc.
06-10-2008, 01:02 PM
This whole drama scene is blown WAY out of proportion.

Yeah it's not what we expected, and yes the first time upon viewing I was like 'what the fuck', but now that I've seen it a few times, it's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. I've never seen so much bitching in my life, it's kind of pathetic. It has a strong meaning to it, and no it's NOT hard to figure out despite everyone's mentality here. I would have loved to see The Offspring rocking out in this video, but that doesn't mean this can't go far either. We'll see what happens.

keonii7
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I bet this video is actually symbolism for this forum and everyone complaining all the time.

All the war happening is just a symbol for the thread fights.

The pigs are the forum members, and the scary guy is the band getting pissed, and when he kills ppl, it's just like the band making this music video.

I hope that's what it means, because otherwise its too weird.

Paki7491
06-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Mate if you disagree with anything I'm about to say, read my posts to know exactly what I've told. Because in this post you clearly misunderstood me.
Feel free to critisize / adore video.I'm not against constructive critics. I'm against 3-words critics like "OMG teh shit". I fucking hate such haters. If you don't like the vid - be able to say something argumented, not throw 2 words. That's it!
And I didn't like the animation part aswell (go to page 31 and read about that), and I didn't asked people to pretend that everything is fine with everybody.
I didn't say anything about my Eliteness, so that's another thing that is born in your head.
The real part that I didn't like about your post is using "cry more" line as a cheap and pretty dirty attempt to piss me, when it was you who didn't understand.

I have a tendency to say things in order to piss them off. I don't do it entirely on purpose, just sort of a natural asshole quality of mine. Sorry If you were deeply offended, it was jsut meant to mess with you a bit(not tooo much0.

And that's where your "Elitism" came from. Not really born in head. More like this line planted the seed, and i raised it.

It's just most of our opinions about the video are "wow, that was complete and utter shit" unlike yours which is more like "i kinda saw what they were trying to do. But it failed to do so, so it was just really bad".

Some may argue that we don't like it because we don't like to think. And that's what the music video does. But the horrible animation and lack of cohesiveness made it terrible. I mean in my opinion even if the animation were top quality, I'd still fucking hate that video. It really looks like the band is trying too hard to do something that in this case, just isn't them. They want to make a video with more artistic tones in it? Ok fine, but pigs and fucking elephant heads aren't the way to do that. Like i've said before, they should've learned from the epic failure that was the hit that video. So I'm going to never watch this again, and pretend like this failure of a video never happened.
Now you even say you don't like it, so why are you defending it from people who say "waah it sucks". I understand at your frustration that these people seem to be stupid, with no real logic to their posts, but it's because they're angry and dissapointed deeply, their way of letting that frustration out is by posting on the band's board and letting the band know, that they're not happy. So you may want a logical discussion about why it's bad, other's just want to let out their anger about the failure of the video.

And now I hope you can understand my thinking, so Waah, go cry more. J/k

hshduppsnt
06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
And if you want to be angry and pissed off and kick and scream...get a blog, for fuck's sake!

LOL!

Freakin brilliant!

mat.kc.
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Pigs and elephants represent different government parties, for those of you who are more fucking handicap than others. It's not all "random".

Paki7491
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I think it's much more "elitist" to run around intentionally pissing people off.

Regarding wanting to blow off steam and express anger and disappointment -- do it in small doses here, fine. But be more constructive. And if you want to be angry and pissed off and kick and scream...get a blog, for fuck's sake!

Nah i'm done. And you're right about the elitism. I was just really dissapionted. But i'm ok now. It seems like my head fell off when i saw that video, and now after ranting my mind is clear.

hshduppsnt
06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Pigs and elephants represent different government parties, for those of you who are more fucking handicap than others. It's not all "random".

playing devil's advocate here...
why pigs instead of donkeys, then?

hshduppsnt
06-10-2008, 01:36 PM
^ fair enough...

I was thinking animal farm myself and not so much political parties at all just "government"

ThunderPX
06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Okay, makes sense... but what about the robot dog things?

mat.kc.
06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
The pigs would represent the least favored, the ones causing the problems. That's why they are pigs; they're dirt. They're filth, and it's hinting about the way the government can work these days. They rotate with the elephants because it never ends. It is always a constant struggle.

HeadAroundU
06-10-2008, 01:40 PM
The problem with HH and CGMHAU :d is that they are not very complex/balanced. They came up with just one idea and then it gets boring. Plus, when it's executed like HH. No wonder that people are going crazy. Everybody expected a great video for the 1st single which is a great song.

Holy moly, those computer generated explosions are from 1998!

They seriously need the 2nd version. It's harmful for The offspring. I'm not even looking for positive things, they need to scrap it and do it again with Teqtonik. With the band in it and with better computers/software. They need to combine these things together. Holy moly, it's the first single from loooooong awaited album that everybody seem to love. It deserves appropriate video. I want only good for them.

mat.kc.
06-10-2008, 01:40 PM
The robot dogs could be our population. Sacrificing themselves so that the pigs can stay in power.

Paki7491
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
What about the girl with the robodogs? (Farenheit 451?) Look it up

The Search Button
06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Okay, makes sense... but what about the robot dog things?

Technology influence on people's life?

That part where the leash of the three dogs breaks, it's pretty cool and meaningfull in my opinion.

F@ BANKZ
06-10-2008, 01:43 PM
The problem with HH and CGMHAU :d is that they are not very complex/balanced. They came up with just one idea and then it gets boring. Plus, when it's executed like HH. No wonder that people are going crazy. Everybody expected a great video for the 1st single which is a great song.

Holy moly, those computer generated explosions are from 1998!

They seriously need the 2nd version. It's harmful for The offspring. I'm not even looking for positive things, they need to scrap it and do it again with Teqtonik. With the band in it and with better computers/software. They need to combine these things together. Holy moly, it's the first single from loooooong awaited album that everybody seem to love. It deserves appropriate video. I want only good for them.

I agree, this was great for laugh, but Hammerhead has been dealt an injustice.

JohnnyNemesis
06-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I haven't really enjoyed an Offspring music video since The Meaning of Life came out in 1997, so I'm not sweating this one. Yes, I wish it was different, but I don't think it's a bad video. It does what it does, but I'm personally not interested in it.

Tonza
06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I can't really say I like it... Maybe I just didn't get the point...

RageAndLov
06-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I agree with The Search Button; the poor quality of the models in the video is done on purpose! it is supposed to look like that!

It's not a bad video, it is just hard to see the overview of the whole thing after watching it only once.

And how boring wouldn't it be just the band playing the song? that's why the tour: to play the song, and therefore it is not neseccary to have a video of the same thing!
it's so boring to just look at them play a whole song in 4:40 mins
just like Cant Repeat that everyone seem to hate (I liked it though)

this song by bad religion is abou communism, and therefore does this video fit perfectly! it has the communistic look, and themes!