PDA

View Full Version : Brief Suggestion and Comparison to Splinter.

JohnnyNemesis
06-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that they took a lot of fan feedback of Splinter into account when working on this album?

Not that they let it completely guide their moves, or anything like that. But the two major complaints people had about Splinter was its shortness and supposed lack of cohesion.

Whether you like the new album or not, it seems the band addressed those two major issues in a big way.

Thoughts?

Unnatural Disaster
06-09-2008, 02:18 PM
It seems that way

Dead Kennedy
06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
yeah,then that means that they really listen to their fans. thats good thing. i guess.

ad8
Yeah, now you mention it I also notice it. But one other big thing that people didn't like about splinter was its popishness. And they didn't really do anything about this. I mean, they did straight punk songs on RAFRAG, but also they did pop-rock-songs. When they said that RAFRAG was gonna be more like Ignition or the older albums they weren't 100% right imo. To me, there are influences of many of their albums on there. But nothing that really dominates the whole album.

IamSam
Does anyone else get the feeling that they took a lot of fan feedback of Splinter into account when working on this album?

Not that they let it completely guide their moves, or anything like that. But the two major complaints people had about Splinter was its shortness and supposed lack of cohesion.

Whether you like the new album or not, it seems the band addressed those two major issues in a big way.

Thoughts?

I agree with you. It's obvious that the band listens to the fans and cares about them.

It's as if they sat down and said "ok, we want to make an album this time, not a menagerie of songs that don't necessarily fit. I also think that they took more from other albums. I think they took a list of what fans said they liked from each album, or at least looked at songs they knew the fans liked, and went from there.

Americana, for having two "joke songs" (a term I hate), was still cohesive and had a great flow to it. Same with Conspiracy of One.

I wonder how much Bob Rock had to do with this.

Cejus
06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Yes, definitely, and they also got rid of those infamous joke-songs. Like "The worst hangover ever", "When you're in prison", etc.

I've noticed that this album flows suprisingly well, I couldn't tell you why, however. Maybe it's because of all the changes in the rythm of the songs. Also, it's very easy to listen. Some songs in Splinter were too dense.

0r4ng3
06-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I think the difference between the two albums is that on Splinter, they tried too hard to make something they thought fans would like. If there was experimentation, it felt forced. The new album sounds like a more natural progression, combining what fans actually wanted to hear with what The Offspring themselves wanted to do.

jacknife737
06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Totally agree, the band does seem to care what the fans have to say. And I agree with 0r4ng3, they mixed what the fans wanted, and what they themselves wanted.

Xyrin
06-09-2008, 04:02 PM
They took this album Super Cerial, and did a AWESOME job with it.

It's my favorite album, and, seriously, if I had to pay $100.00 just to own this CD, I'd pay up.

Bipolar Bear
06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Of course they care about their fans! They also do what they feel like.
They feel like pleasing the fans, I guess?

kitfoo
06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I was hoping they'd go back to the Ignition/Smash days and play like that. The new album sounds like a slower version of Splinter, with a lot more melodies put in. "A Lot Like Me" sounds coincidently like "What I've Done" by Linkin Park, with a little coldplay added in. Definately different.

Camilamazed
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I agree that they've listened to fans. I see 98% of the people happy about the CD.

=]

JohnnyNemesis
06-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the input, folks. I think you're right, it's a nice compromise, but it's definitely not a throwback to Ignition days. Still, very very very very very good stuff and I like how they experimented with things in what feels like an honest way, instead of recreating the success of Pretty Fly and such.

HeadAroundU
06-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Well, Johnny, let's take it from another side. :p

NOT REALLY. Allmusic.com's reviewer says that Splinter has "brief half-hour run time". I'm sure that there are some other big reviews mentioning it. Splinter title fits the album perfectly. Obviously, it's anti-cohesive. Splinter wasn't extremely successful. So, it was obvious that The offspring were gonna change both things even if fans didn't cry. They needed change. OBAMA! :D

But, there are 2 other parameters, "joke songs" and my! complaint "we need less of punk and more of alternative pop/rock". It looks like they took it into account. But I haven't heard the album yet.

ad8, I can't see your point. And I wouldn't run around with the word "popishness". Sure, there was pop, but for me it was half-underground & half-mainstream record. It was all about shortness and "joke songs".

MATKO5000
06-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah, now you mention it I also notice it. But one other big thing that people didn't like about splinter was its popishness. And they didn't really do anything about this. I mean, they did straight punk songs on RAFRAG, but also they did pop-rock-songs. When they said that RAFRAG was gonna be more like Ignition or the older albums they weren't 100% right imo. To me, there are influences of many of their albums on there. But nothing that really dominates the whole album.

Americana had pop-rockish songs, CO1 had them..
And actually Noodles clearly stated that it was NOT going to be a new Igniton or Smash, nor a new Americana.

Little_Miss_1565
06-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I remember a journal posting from Dexter that was describing some of the sounds of the new album, and I remember he specifically mentioned no keyboards. That made me feel like he's read the critiques on the forums and had really taken it to heart. and now hearing it, that's what it sounds like to me. woooot.

Moose
06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
i dont know if they literally listened to the fans to make this album...that would be odd.

i'd say dexter's travels, the band taking a long time off, 5 years later (reflecting,) and 2 years working on the songs had a lot to do with it.

not to mention dexter talking to the great rick rubin and taking advice for him. He just helped the chilis make an excellent double album...plus the input of bob rock i think really helped their instrumentals (metallica used to own in creating beautiful instrumental pieces) as far as allowing noodles and greg play more...you hear a lot more of them (significant parts) on this album, than you have heard from them in a long time.

also, as mentioned about the melodies. Some of these songs have 5 melodies in it. (as do the chilis on stadium arcadium)

Honestly, the band really wanted to make a good album and put a ton of effort into it.

I'm sure they put a lot of effort in with all of their albums, but I think, like a lot of artists, you look back on your work and you decide if it was good or bad, and maybe dexter and the band decided splinter wasnt that great, along with a few other works they have done...so in looking at what they wanted to fix, they realized they had to take a different approach. the self-titled, ignition, smash, and ixnay all took a long recording and writing process.

If you notice, a lot of the songs on this album are different from one to the next. Even if its a more faster driven song, or a slower song, you're not going to say, this one sounds like this one, for the most part.

I think this album was made on more self-reflecting and having a lot of time to try new things, rather than "oh shit, the fans hated splinter"...

...even with the pop songs, those songs really arent radio hits, so i wouldnt call this a pop album, and therefore i would say that the offspring also werent trying to just make an album that would sell.

So, I'd say its the Offspring deciding, writing, and working, with a spark in their creativity again...rather them seeing a message board and going, "Damnit."

Little_Miss_1565
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I've been trying to pick out some of the harmonies on the first few goes listening...they're fucking *sweet*. LOL I have a lower singing voice than Dexter.

JohnnyNemesis
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
i dont know if they literally listened to the fans to make this album...that would be odd.

Well, I don't mean too directly, but I think with the fact that some specific issues were addressed and the fact that Dexter said in his journal that he's been reading the forums (Noodles used to even post here on a semi-regular basis), it was worth considering.

But yeah, I see where you're coming from and respect it. Especially the end of your post.

Little_Miss_1565
06-10-2008, 08:18 PM
(Noodles used to even post here on a semi-regular basis)

Slightly aside, remember when Noodles would drink and then log on to debate politics? My dream right now is to have a drunken debate. Though most of what I have to say while drunk are song lyrics. Mainly Misfits and MagFi. Anyway.

hshduppsnt
06-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Slightly aside, remember when Noodles would drink and then log on to debate politics? My dream right now is to have a drunken debate. Though most of what I have to say while drunk are song lyrics. Mainly Misfits and MagFi. Anyway.

hahaha I miss Noodles posting here, those were good times.

Budzy
06-11-2008, 01:42 AM
to be honest
i see parts of Splinter in RFRG.
i feel that the beat from your gonna go far kid reminds me of the hit that beat. although the songs arent the same.
Half truism also reminds me of lightning rod- fast song with a slowed down chorus and really meaningful lyrics.
spare me the details- kristy are you doing ok, altho i like details way more.
i still dont know where they got fix you from.
its the only song i dont see myself enjoying no matter how much i try.
i love all the others.