PDA

View Full Version : Track by track review

bighead384
06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Half-Truism- Good way to start off the album. The melody in the verse is great, and the chorus is catchy as hell. Also, the lyrics really give it a great flow. The whole song is put together really well, and I think it could work as a single. 9/10

Trust in You- Instantly catchy. A cool song with a great driving force. I think the riff in post-chorus part is one of the coolest punk guitar riffs in existence. For some reason, though, I'm not sure if I'm liking the bridge section when the guitars first come in, it's a little weird. But it all comes together in the end, and kicks back into the chorus. Sweet. 9/10

You're Gonna Go Far Kid- An extremely diverse song that somehow comes together really well. Each part is very distinctive and memorable. Its got a certain uniqueness to it, but at the same time it's got moments that are typical of The Offspring. Very creative song writing and extreme catchy-ness. 9/10

Hammerhead- It's an undeniably good song, but I've always felt that something keeps this song from being one of their best, though I can't quite put my finger on it. Every part is pretty good, but nothing seems to stand out as amazingly catchy. One of the high points is at the bridge when Dexter yells and the guitar comes in. It's a cool song, it's just missing that special something that makes a song great. 8.5/10

A Lot Like Me- Well...I have mixed feelings about this one. While I can appreciate that it's a well written song, there's just certain moments where the vocals make me cringe. I feel like Dexter's voice just isn't meant to sing the high notes in this melody. That takes a lot away from the song for me, but still, they wrote a great song with this one. Oh yeah, it kind of reminds me of What I've Done by Linkin Park. 6/10

Takes Me Nowhere- I don't like this one all that much. I don't like the riff or vocal melody in the verse, it just annoys me for some reason. The chorus is decent, but the backup vocals are kind of annoying. It somehow manages to be a decent tune, but that's pretty much the only good thing I can say about it. Maybe it will grow on me. 7/10

Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?- Personally, I don't really care for The Offspring writing this style of music much. I know I don't speak for everyone when I say that, so it's hard for me to judge this song fairly, I guess. But I really can't say anything bad about the song itself. Good lyrics, good melodies, all in all a solid song...just not really my cup of tea. 6.5/10

Nothingtown- It's got sort of a blues rock feel to it, something they've never attempted before. I'm liking the bass solo followed right by the guitar solo. It's a catchy, feel good kind of song. No complaints with this one, although in my opinion it's not one of the best songs on the album. 8/10
Side Note:Some guitar parts have some similarities to Want You Bad

Stuff Is Messed Up- Crazy vocals and lyrics. The chorus is very catchy, with those La La La's. It's just a weird song, though, I can't really look at it as one of their better songs. Man, It's insane how fast Dexter talks during that one part. I don't really know what else to say about this one. 7/10
Side Note: He actually says "LOL" in this song. LOL.

Fix You- Eh...not one of my favorites. I feel like the melody isn't really that original. It's just too low energy for me. It's not horrible, but it's not that great. 6/10

Let's Hear it for Rock Bottom- Awesome song. The entire thing is so damn catchy, especially the chorus. I love those back up vocals. Good use of the soft verse loud chorus formula. How can you not like this song? 9/10

Rise and Fall- So that one riff sounds a little bit like Green Day. Who cares? This song kicks ass. A great way to finish off a really good album. I can imagine driving around with this song blasting. Love it. 9/10