PDA

View Full Version : Do you think The Offspring were successful in RAFRAG?

Gustavo
06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
The Offspring hasn't released a new studio album since 2003, now they released Rise And Fall. Everybody's crazy, there are those who hate "Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?" and there are those who love it. There are those who think The Offspring wasn't successfull by choosing "Hammerhead" to be the first single of the new album, and there are those who love the song and think it's one of the best one.
But the question is: Do you think The Offspring were successful in RAFRAG?

Queer Duck
06-09-2008, 02:54 PM
They definitely were successful.

They've added a lot of new elements, and although they haven't repeated their previous albums, this album definitely feels like The Offspring. Musically as well as lyrically, a lot of effort obviously went into creating this album. Truthfully, I can't find anything wrong with it. Of course, I'm not pretending it's perfect, but as far as my expectations for the album go...it has met all of them, and even surpassed my expectations.

Dead Kennedy
06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
i think they made mistake with hammerhead,i would choose some other song.

and hellyeah, i think that they've done really good job,but to see if they're successful, we must wait to see the sales of RAFRAG.

Ill.be.waiting.
06-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I think that hammerhead was perfect for the first single :)
And surely they're going to sell more records than splinter...
so I think that it's going to be succesful

Jaded skies
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
im not a big fan of hammerhead. But i think it was a good choice to bring in more of a hard audience. i hope kristy is the next single. That could be huge right now if it were released. Stuff is messed up could be a pretty good choice. Maybe like Bad Habit. No video, just the radio edit.

nameless
06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
ive only heard parts of hammerhead so far. given how the last pennywise and anti flag albums were received maybe its not gonna be a good year for punk bands. with the current music trends i doubt this album will be a huge hit in the mainstream!

Bipolar Bear
06-09-2008, 03:22 PM
i think they made mistake with hammerhead,i would choose some other song.

and hellyeah, i think that they've done really good job,but to see if they're successful, we must wait to see the sales of RAFRAG.

In my opinion, they're already fucking successful, no matter what their sales are :cool:

Jaded skies
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
bipolar bear? hahah whats next? ;)

Dead Kennedy
06-09-2008, 03:24 PM
ive only heard parts of hammerhead so far. given how the last pennywise and anti flag albums were received maybe its not gonna be a good year for punk bands. with the current music trends i doubt this album will be a huge hit in the mainstream!

well,i fuckin hate to admit this,but i think youre right. mtv is full with rap and stuff like that,and we must face it.
i doubt this album will go over 50 000 000 copies

jacknife737
06-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Uh, I disagree actually. Their were a couple news positing that the Pennywise's Reason to Believe was downloaded over half a million times when it was offered for free, plus they got tons of airplay with Western World. If you're interested check out this article, it talks about how a lot of melodic punk bands are getting more attention now then ever.

http://www.punknews.org/article/28227

nameless
06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Uh, I disagree actually. Their were a couple news positing that the Pennywise's Reason to Believe was downloaded over half a million times when it was offered for free, plus they got tons of airplay with Western World. If you're interested check out this article, it talks about how a lot of melodic punk bands are getting more attention now then ever.

http://www.punknews.org/article/28227

it may have been downloaded 500,000 times but remember this was for free! no disrespect to them but if other bands offered their music for free im sure they would have loads of downloads registered as well.

things have changed over the last few years in the alternative rock mainstream section of music. more emo bands are having a lot of success the same way punk/pop punk bands were in the nineties and early 2000's.
if smash was released today it wouldnt have the same impact it did in 1994. its not just the offspring, the same could be said about sum 41 with fat lip etc.

bands like the offspring, pennywise, anti flag and sum 41 have built up a fan base and all have the obsessive fans like will like anything they do. an up and coming punk band would find it near impossible to break the mainstream today, although this really will depend on your definition of punk!

my main point is music trends change all the time, if the new album is the same thing we have come to love from the offspring i cant see it having major succes in the mainstream! of course, id love to be proved wrong though!

commonrider5447
06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Hammerhead was an interesting first pick, it energized hardcore fans id say since its offspring punk rock and not another pretty fly / OP / Hit That. But it isnt gonna be a smash commercial success. I think Kristy is gonna do well on the airwaves tho, Id also love to hear Half-Truism or Alot like Me on the radio

SaiKYoU
06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
as i wrote on my lil review, yep this was succesful enough to fullfil my expectations...

brad_logan
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
i dont think it 'energized hardcore fans'.

none of it really sounds like their older stuff with the exception of shit is fucked up, which isnt really in the old style that much either.

but im replying to whoever said this wasnt going to be a good year for punk bands?

i predict RANCID's new album will be brilliant, and with slightly more confidence i think LESS THAN JAKE will rip it up with GNV FLA. i'm looking forward to their album much more than I was for RAFRAG (i was still anticipating RAFRAG a lot though, but hammerhead didnt do a LOT for me, it was good but not excellent). However, 'Does the Lion City Still Roar?' is a great first single from LTJ.

edit - but i liked hammerhead, whereas Hit That i really did not like

Jack-UK
06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Ok, being honest here. I think the album could have done with maybe 1 or 2 more songs which would have pleased the 'hardcore' fans.

Im a lover of their older stuff too, there was enough for me in there, Trust In You was so good, i would have been happy if that was the only 'old school' one.

I think this album will be VERY successful because it has such a great mix of songs, which appeal to the current fans, and should appeal to new ones.. Kristy/Fix you would make them sure fire hits with the 'popular' crowds.. you'd have 'Stuff is messed up' for rock fans (yet still be an Offspring fan favourite live, im sure.) On top of that, you'd have the experimental A Lot Like Me (experimental in the way that its different to regular Offspring, likely to bring in more fans?), Then you've got general 'good' tracks, like Half Truism, Rise and Fall, Takes Me Nowhere etc... And then stuff like Nothingtown.. which i know some people have said is a bit 'dark'.. but personally it sounds like a pretty upbeat, summery song.

So to cut it short: Yes, this is/will be a very successful album, with a good mix of old and new, theres something to please everyone, but I think its slightly tilted in favour of the non-'hardcore' fans. But i LOVE RaFRaG.. im letting the hype die down before i rate it amongst the other albums, cause at the moment its way up at the top :)

Gustavo
06-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Yes. I do think they were successful in RAFRAG.
However, Rise And Fall, Rage and Grace is not perfect, and neither is Self Titled, Ignition, Smash or any other album.
The album is great, I thikn it was worth it to wait so much time to hear some new stuff.
I think the band reached our expectations, they were really good in this album.
I am not sure if the album will be that much popular, but I'm pretty sure they could satisfy the biggest fan part. :)
I am happy with the album, and I'm definately gonna buy my copy.

brad_logan
06-10-2008, 05:07 PM
oh i dont know
ignition got pretty close

Gustavo
06-10-2008, 05:12 PM
oh i dont know
ignition got pretty close

Yeah, you're right... xP
PRETTY close.

brad_logan
06-10-2008, 05:17 PM
touché, you most definitely win this 'battle'.

one thing of interest though, do you think that a cd can be perfect & that offspring havnt QUITE managed it yet, or do you just think that one cannot be.

because i think '...and out come the wolves' is a perfect record

Gustavo
06-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh, by the way... When I first heard Dexter and Noodles telling that british radio that they had used piano on Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace. I got scared, I thought "Wtf? Piano on The Offspring?".
But I couldn't be more happy about A lot like me, I cannot stop listening to this fuckin' awesome song

Gustavo
06-10-2008, 05:26 PM
touché, you most definitely win this 'battle'.

one thing of interest though, do you think that a cd can be perfect & that offspring havnt QUITE managed it yet, or do you just think that one cannot be.

because i think '...and out come the wolves' is a perfect record

I just think that there is no perfect record out there. It's not possible, it doesn't exist.
There are only those stupid fans who love everything their idols do, no matter what they do they will still love them, those who say "ooh, that's perfect" and kill those true fans who criticize the artists' work.
But let me tell you, this album rocks, dude. It's awesome, more than I thought it would be.

brad_logan
06-10-2008, 05:29 PM
believe me, i'm more than willing to criticise rancid (indestructible is 50% medicore, even 2000 had a couple of missteps) but i honestly believe AOCTW is a perfect album. i differ in that i dont love RAFRAG, still think its a solid album though, and could easily be one which grows on me. im not listening to it a lot, because i wanna blast it loud when my pre-order disc comes thru in a week or so.

Gustavo
06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
believe me, i'm more than willing to criticise rancid (indestructible is 50% medicore, even 2000 had a couple of missteps) but i honestly believe AOCTW is a perfect album. i differ in that i dont love RAFRAG, still think its a solid album though, and could easily be one which grows on me. im not listening to it a lot, because i wanna blast it loud when my pre-order disc comes thru in a week or so.

Oh, I see, unfortunately I do not know rancid that much, so I can't tell you my opinion on this subject. But, about RAFRAG, there is a song wich I cannot listen to yet, but hopefully I'll get used to it (Fix You), and there are one or two songs that I like, but not as much as like the other ones. But it's totally worth it to listen to the album, and I swear I'm not saying as those stupid fans I talked about above...
I'm a huge Linkin Park fan, they were my first rock band. But, dude, i gotta tell you the truh, I did not like Collision Course that much, and I have never been that much fan of Reanimation. And when they first released M2M, I did not like it the much, now I do, but, that time... But even though when they released M2M, i did not start to 'hate' the band or something, I really enjoy the old songs and now the new ones.
So, I'm telling you, FOR ME this album is great :cool:

brad_logan
06-10-2008, 05:57 PM
cool
im glad you like it, because then it seems reasonable that i may come to like it more than i do. its its lots of people who love the spring at any cost saying "yeah its great" then i would have suspicions, but i reckon this album it could grow on me

Gustavo
06-10-2008, 06:04 PM
cool
im glad you like it, because then it seems reasonable that i may come to like it more than i do. its its lots of people who love the spring at any cost saying "yeah its great" then i would have suspicions, but i reckon this album it could grow on me

Yeah, dude. Maybe It'll take a little time 'till you get used to it, but... You still have the awesome old-school shit! :D
I will never stop listening to Self Titled, Ignition, Smash, Ixnay On The Hombre, Americana, Conspiracy Of One, Splinter...
But I'm pretty sure you'll start to like the album more than you do now, you see... I can't stand "Fix You" now, but I have a feeling I'll be addicted to this song soon, hahah.
Those kind of things are unpredictable and unavoiable.

mgstatic91
06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
fuck yeah
this shit is amazing.

ive only listened to four songs in total and then some 10 second clips of the others. but i know this album is amazing.

and if this doesnt revive the offspring's popularity, nothing will

BigFish
06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Man, I gotta stop reading threads like this. I've only listened to 2 tracks from the new album, I've sworn myself to waiting for the actual release. I wanna hear these songs so bad and I'm sure I'm gonna adore it. Who cares if this is a commercial success? They'll always have their hardcore fan base, and thats what's important. I'm gonna keep buying every album they put out until they stop and nothing is going to change that. I think that putting a feeling like that into just one person is a success in itself. SO, fuck the mainstream sales. This album is gonna be an amazing success and then I'll just be waiting for the next one ;)

Alex101
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
They oughta be. The band has gotta come back to their biggest success from 1994-2001. It was disappointing how they've gotten less successful when Splinter came out.

Cock Joke
06-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I couldn't stay away from Half-Truism, Trust in You, and Go Far Kid. I might end up listening to Shit is Fucked up soon. Those songs just kick ass so frikkin much!

eric79
06-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I would have loved to see 'A Lot Like Me' as their first single, I think it would've sold more records than Hammerhead, just my opinion of course.

darea
06-11-2008, 08:29 AM
I think they were really successful. "half truism" makes me shiver with its awesomeness. I think its one of their best albums, up with ixnay, americana and smash. I was worried it would be like splinter, but for me this is OFFSPRING. Ok its kinda different in some songs. But its more like them than splinter, I think.
Its so awesome.

randman21
06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I think it was successful in experimenting with different things. Highly successful at that, and pleasing its fans.