PDA

View Full Version : Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace Song Meanings

medi01
06-10-2008, 06:00 AM
I was just wandering if anyone knew the meanings behind the songs...i'm usually useless at enterpreting them so i just thought if ppl could post their thoughts...

I know what Kristy is about and that hammerhead is abouut skl shootings, but does anyone else know what the rest are about, other than their main meaning...i.e. fix you's probably about a loved one and a relationship gone wrong...

plse post ur thoughts on all songs :D

ixnay
06-10-2008, 06:10 AM
I think Hammerhead is a tad deeper than School Shootings. It weighs up both sides then shows the heroic stance from different perspectives which turn out cowardly in some (to explain it quickly).

The Offspring lyrics are usually pretty face value. All the elements are there and there aren't too many difficult metaphors that require drilling into the head of Dexter.

But the reason I can't explain more is because I haven't really run through RAFRAG to the extent of knowing the lyrics intimately which I think is required before putting forward an opinion on its true meaning. Otherwise you get tangled in how it relates to you which could be a total opposite.

GunForHire
06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Stuff Is Messed Up - This one's obvious from the lyrics, it's about how society wants instant gratification and keeps itself occupied with superficial bullshit instead of waking up to the real problems in the world. It also calls out the obsession with celebrity and how celebrities make half-assed attempts at solving wrongs. From the song "Black ties making wrongs right, how's your social band-aid?".

"Thank God for the media for saving the day,
putting it all into perspective, in a responsible way,
with more celebrity news, typical bullshit infused,
I think we're losing this fight,
sponsored by Bud Light!"

The lyrics in this song are very clever, I love it.

Jaded skies
06-10-2008, 06:36 AM
i dont know if anyone has said this or not. but i think takes me nowhere is about drug abuse.

"all the friends ive lost
all the pain ive cost
has never been enough
just to make me stop"

-Diesel-
06-10-2008, 08:16 AM
I think Half-Truism is about like a tragedy happening to a city, and it looks at it from like a rescue perspective. Some supporting lyrics...

"stop the operation.."

"..watch the city burn"

"..on to someone else"

"..we'll leave this behind"

"..we'll leave them behind"

And then of course...

"if we don't make it alive, then it's a hell of a good day to die!"

I'm not too sure at all, but this is what I'm getting out of it.

offspringjon
06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I reckon You're gonna go far, kid is about an assassin. Loads of mentions about disguises, lies and of course the lyric "hit him right between the eyes" could be the assassination itself

IamSam
06-10-2008, 08:20 AM
You're Gonna Go Far Kid is about President Bush or politicians in general.

Hammerhead is about a school shooter who is off his rocker.

Kristy is about sexual molestation.

Stuff is Messed Up is about the media and how they give people what they want to hear and not what they need to hear. It also is a commentary on society, more specifically American society, and our need for creature comforts and our 'ability' to push struggling people out of our minds.

Fix You reminds me of Dirty Magic, I believe it is about someone who he would like to fix in order to save a relationship, yet at the same time he needs to fix himself.

Nothingtown...is about a town that is a dead end.