PDA

View Full Version : Damn, now the haters have arrived.

maplejet
06-11-2008, 06:27 AM
Over on the last.fm page for The Offspring, there are like 5 or 6 users in a row who were disappointed with the album, some calling it a commercial sell out, one claimed that the Offspring took a "Stadium Rock" approach which stunk. Many just wanted another Smash...

Why does this always happen to every single veteran band today who simply want the same thing again and again?

mgstatic91
06-11-2008, 06:35 AM
hahaha stadium rock?

and how the fuck can they call this a commercial sell out with the comercially successful americana and co1?

Rooster
06-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Probably those haters had a very bad childhood an have grown up into some group of Douchy McDouchebags whose only life ambition is to unleash their anger upon the band and the unsuspecting human race who just love the album.

Damn those Douches

Jaded skies
06-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Probably those haters had a very bad childhood an have grown up into some group of Douchy McDouchebags whose only life ambition is to unleash their anger upon the band and the unsuspecting human race who just love the album.

Damn those Douches

thats exactly what i was thinking.

Rooster
06-11-2008, 06:49 AM
thats exactly what i was thinking.

Glad you agree:D

They can't throw their anger in their bosses face at their work, so The Offspring seem to be the perfect ones to do that to, i guess

megadeth
06-11-2008, 07:09 AM
holy crap, someone with a different opinion?!

:O

Gustavo
06-11-2008, 07:22 AM
who cares about that?
the important is what you think.
there will always be those who won't like.
I just don't give a fuck

ThunderPX
06-11-2008, 07:23 AM
The funniest guy was the one who was like "I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, REALLY!!! PLEASE DON'T GO! NOOOO COME BACK I HAVE AN OPEN MIND I SWEAR"

american_prankster
06-11-2008, 07:26 AM
half-true, half not.

I'd agree, I'm really a little bit disappointed with this thing... But it's not like 'SHIIIIIT!!!!', it's just that some songs have the new sounding. Well, from the band's members' point of view I can understand. While you're young - you have the energy, that punk attitude. But as you get older, you can't win the race against the time, against the world, against yourself. You wish everything would be slower than it is. You get used to silent stuff, music. Something more lyric. Somthing... you can take up to.
You've got to understand, musicians can't do the same stuff 20 years in a row, or even more if it is. Things change day by day.

shit.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
06-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised that with how old they are they're able to pull off something like "Trust In You". Mad props for that.

Rooster
06-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Well, it's okay to have a different opinion, but by calling them commercial sell-out they prove themselvs to be just a bunch of haters. I mean, The Offspring have been the most underground band ever, who has sold millions of CD-s all over the world untill this album :D

They could just write "I don't like this album" or something like that and not start a whole war against the album. I know that not everybody likes the album, i think that no album of any band had satisfied 100% of their fans yet. But you just can't start a war because you don't like it.

Peace

Devidence
06-11-2008, 08:27 AM
You gotta admit the 2nd half is a bit unstable. I've never heard them try to write a pop punk tune or an acoustic ballad like these. It loses some of the trademark offspring sound to me. Not terrible, but it's gonna pull in dead last in my Offspring collection.

maplejet
06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Another thing that bugs me is when people hate an album because it doesn't sound like a certain one.

Weezer fans who cry each time something that not similar to Blue or Pinkerton is released...

Korn fans who whine each time something not similar to s/t or Follow the Leader is released...

Disturbed fans who whine because nothing new sounds like The Sickness.

RHCP fans who complain each time an album is released because it's not like their 80s and BSSM stuff...

It seems people simply want another "Smash" and "Ixnay". I rather hear something different. Even if it's a return to roots, there should be something fresh in it.

Indii
06-11-2008, 08:39 AM
If this album is stadium rock, I like stadium rock. And if this album is sellout, I obviously like sellout. (Maybe "sellout" should be a genre of its own...)

Inferno
06-11-2008, 08:45 AM
My gripe is that it sounds like every Offspring album. You can argue a case for a couple of songs being somewhat different, but for me the overall sound is same old, same old.

Conspiracy of One was the last album I really enjoyed. Splinter and Rise & Fall just sound like a band clinging to a dated sound while running out of ideas. They were really the first band I ever liked, but since then i've grown up and listen to stuff like Mars Volta, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Jamiroquai, Pain of Salvation, Tool, etc. Artists that push boundaries and evolve in other words. The first thought I had after the first listen was "Plain old Offspring".

Lambast me if you will, it's just how I feel.

mrs_hollandova
06-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Over on the last.fm page for The Offspring, there are like 5 or 6 users in a row who were disappointed with the album, some calling it a commercial sell out, one claimed that the Offspring took a "Stadium Rock" approach which stunk. Many just wanted another Smash...

Why does this always happen to every single veteran band today who simply want the same thing again and again?

:p WHY DONT YOU MAKE ANOTHER SMASH? DO YOU REALLY THINK ITS SO EASY?

Rooster
06-11-2008, 08:49 AM
It seems people simply want another "Smash" and "Ixnay". I rather hear something different. Even if it's a return to roots, there should be something fresh in it.

I agree with you. And even if this album was Smash II or Ixnay II there would be still some complaining about it (i imagine everyone say that they cloned themselves and that they don't have enough imagination to create something new) and Smash or Ixnay (whichever would be more similar to the new album) would somehow lost it's uniqueness and we couldn't enjoy it as much as we do. So it's better that we have something new than something recycled if you ask me. But as said before by iGustavo, it matters what YOU think about the album, not what others think

Peace

Rooster
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Maybe "sellout" should be a genre of its own...

:D:D:D

Add it to The Offspring wikipedia page under the genres category...

F@ BANKZ
06-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Sellout is the most annoying title in the world, ever.

Ok if a band that tries to be hardcore and openly declares their loyalty to punk swaps their genre completely and suddenly I could see why it would be annoying. Then again, people nowadays don't judge bands by their music anymore. Sellout is a word far, far too overused, and the very concept of it relies on you judging bands by their image and not by their music. That makes me unhappy.

Sorry to be erratic and serious, but I've had this chip on my shoulder for a while now.

nieh
06-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Weezer fans who cry each time something that not similar to Blue or Pinkerton is released...

I'm sure I speak for most people when I say we don't care if it doesn't sound anything like either of those albums, so long as they come up with something else just as good. So far they've released album after album of mediocre generic fluff which hasn't been anywhere near that level.

Dead Kennedy
06-11-2008, 09:05 AM
well,offspring ain't the same band that it was 15 years ago.
things changed
offspring changed
they changed their music style,their lyrics.
so it is acceptable and even normal to assume that their fans that liked them on ignition or smash,won't like their style as much as that,or that they won't like it at all

holland25
06-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Who cares if they hate the album? I think that those bitches listen to My Chemical Romance and think they are so punk that no other band can be more punk than them.

Rooster
06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Who cares if they hate the album? I think that those bitches listen to My Chemical Romance and think they are so punk that no other band can be more punk than them.

MCR are the punkest band ever! They are so punk that Sex Pistols had to disband and Sid Vicious had to OD because they saw MCR comming and they knew they would be PWNED by MCR:p:D:D:D

Man, what the hell i'm talking about? Saying MCR and punk in the same line is the worst sin ever (unless you say they are NOT punk).

Anyway, back to the topic. Let them listen whatever they want. Everyone has their own taste for music (although in my opinion their taste is quite shitty) and not everyone will like this CD. Just enjoy the music if you like it.

Peace

Cock Joke
06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Watch this be the frikkin album of the year! I still think this is gonna happen!

Guillermo90
06-11-2008, 10:42 AM
ALBUM OF THE YEAR?! man where's your head at? I heard Hammerhead and thought it was alright. I heard the album yesterday hoping to hear something similar and it is probably the WORST album I've ever heard. I was an Offspring fan for 7 years until I got fed up with all their half-assing. With this album i was just hoping I'd be impressed by some kind of comeback (and i ain't talkin commercial wise). Seriously... a pop song about child molestation? That was one of the most embarrassing things i've ever heard. I'm sorry, I wouldn't even forgive a band for making an album like this in a month... never mind TWO FUCKING YEARS!!!!!!

Drums beating in my Heart
06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Maybe you should lissen to people who don't want to jump...

Angelo
06-11-2008, 11:01 AM
ALBUM OF THE YEAR?! man where's your head at? I heard Hammerhead and thought it was alright. I heard the album yesterday hoping to hear something similar and it is probably the WORST album I've ever heard. I was an Offspring fan for 7 years until I got fed up with all their half-assing. With this album i was just hoping I'd be impressed by some kind of comeback (and i ain't talkin commercial wise). Seriously... a pop song about child molestation? That was one of the most embarrassing things i've ever heard. I'm sorry, I wouldn't even forgive a band for making an album like this in a month... never mind TWO FUCKING YEARS!!!!!!

C'mon now, tell us what you're really thinking... :rolleyes:

Capricorn4
06-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Agree with you guys who think they shouldn't produce another Smash or Ignition.I just can't understand why they call a band sellout when they try to make something different instead of repeating themselves.
Certain people called them sellouts when Ixnay was released after Smash and now when they finally released RAFRAG(which is better than Splinter) people starting the same damn thing over again.As long as there will be different tastes in music,not everyone will be happy.So just enjoy the music and if you don't like it don't waste your time whining about it on forums,just forget it.

Omni
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Personally, I think this is the best album they've ever released. The only thing that perplexes me is how they had this in them the whole time and not managed to bust it out yet.

Unnatural Disaster
06-11-2008, 11:34 AM
It's a catch 22,

If they make another Smash, they get hated for not being original.

If they try new stuff (piano, acoustic..etc) they get hated for becoming too poppy, or selling out....

GunForHire
06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
This whiney shit again. So sick of this BS "oh I hate them because they're not punk any more" and if it's not that it's "I hate them because they're doing the same old stuff again".

There's more to music than punk, and some asshats don't seem to realise that.

Rooster
06-11-2008, 11:52 AM
I think that The Clash "shouldn't be" considered punk, because they sold out years before The Offspring even existed, and had a bunch of DISCO songs. I think that we should forget what a huge influence they had in punk music because of those disco songs. But they are still considered a punk band (and they should be, they are a great band), and so should be The Offspring. Just because of a few different songs it doesn't mean their album is bad, those few songs are quite a welcome surprise. I respect that everyone has their own taste in music, but naming Kristy as a reference for hating the album seems lame to me.

The Search Button
06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Never skip this track.

Ladies and gentlemen
Welcome to the disclaimer
That's right, the disclaimer
This American apple pie institution
Known as parental discretion
Will cleanse any sense of innuendo or sarcasm
From the lyrics that might actually make you think
And will also insult your intelligence at the same time
So protect your family.
This album contains explicit depictions
Of things which are real.
These real things are commonly known as life.
So, if it sounds sarcastic, don't take it seriously.
If it sounds dangerous,
Do not try this at home or at all.
And if it offends you, just don't listen to it.

Never!

Devidence
06-11-2008, 12:35 PM
The first half of the album just makes the second half seem worse, such a wide gap in songwriting to me. I'm not saying they sold out, they aren't punk, etc. Those songs are just not as good....

Rooster
06-11-2008, 12:40 PM
The first half of the album just makes the second half seem worse, such a wide gap in songwriting to me. I'm not saying they sold out, they aren't punk, etc. Those songs are just not as good....

Now this is the right way to say "I don't like this album as much as the others". No bitching about not being punk and selling out.

jacknife737
06-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey guys 1997 called....

Seriously to claim that a band that's been on a major label for over a decade has suddenly "sold out" is fucking hysterical.

RODNEYMULLEN
06-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Ok, people think the new albums a sell out mainly because of A lot like me, kristy are you doing ok, and fix you. But they've always done songs like that, gone away, amazed, denial (revisited), race against myself, etc... So i don't know why people don't like this album. It's the typical offspring album, some soft songs some harder songs. I think it's a great album.

Guillermo90
06-11-2008, 09:00 PM
this album sucks its nonsense its the worst album ive ever heard. this has the worst set of songs put together the worst cover art ive ever fucking seen and along with that horrid hammerhead video it is probably the worst package a band has ever put through and wasted a lot of time and money doing so. this album is a NEW low for the band and itll probably end up biting them in the ass and ruin their already decaying career. yeah youre all stupid for listenin to this and have horrid taste so yeah go ahead and kill yourselves (just like the offspring are doing to their careers ;) ).

piece and fuck a donkey.

IamSam
06-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey guys 1997 called....

Seriously to claim that a band that's been on a major label for over a decade has suddenly "sold out" is fucking hysterical.

Quoted for truth. Everyone read and head this from this point first.

RockstarSuicide
06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I feel A Lot Like Me could be the direction they'd have gone if they branched out in the direction Defy You did (more rock than their original punk sound).

I probably wouldn't have released Hammerhead as the lead single. It carries the weight and sound of The Offspring we all know that when you get to the album's second half, you don't give it a chance. I've been trying but the album is too polar. My only hope is waiting till this album's followup (which I hope to God is within 2 years like the Ixnay-Americana gap).

Actually I kinda saw it coming. I knew there would be tracks I wouldn't enjoy after seeing they got Bob Rock to produce... That man is just bad news lol. They shoulda stuck with O'Brien or frankly, anyone other than Bob Rock. Even Rick Reuben wouldn't have been this bad

Also, as for MCR, I think that band's problem was the sudden adaptation of an 'image' which resembled GD a little too much. Their music stood on their own and I'm impressed with their ability at creating concept albums. I can listen to their music but I cannot STAND their videos haha.

DeAtHsTaR
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
You've got to understand, musicians can't do the same stuff 20 years in a row, or even more if it is. Things change day by day.

Hmmm, Pennywise.

Lightning Rod
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM

This Is A Stupid Thread!
Oh why does this always happen? Oh Why Someone Hate or were disappointed with new album? Why I'am Asshole?

Never skip this track.
Ladies and gentlemen
Welcome to the disclaimer
That's right, the disclaimer
This American apple pie institution
Known as parental discretion
Will cleanse any sense of innuendo or sarcasm
From the lyrics that might actually make you think
And will also insult your intelligence at the same time
So protect your family.
This album contains explicit depictions
Of things which are real.
These real things are commonly known as life.
So, if it sounds sarcastic, don't take it seriously.
If it sounds dangerous,
Do not try this at home or at all.
And if it offends you, just don't listen to it.

Never!
CRY BABY

DeAtHsTaR
06-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I've never heard them try to write a pop punk tune

Have you ever actually listened to The Offspring?

Lightning Rod
06-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I've never heard them try to write a pop punk tune or an acoustic ballad like these.

Have you ever actually listened to The Offspring?

HA HA) This Is The Real Fun

RockstarSuicide
06-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Hmmm, Pennywise.

Haha, so true. Gotta love PW :P

Budzy
06-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Lambast me if you will, it's just how I feel.

haha will do. :P
tbh splinter to me was a great album. i love all of the songs.
though ppls opinions r they're opinions. u dont hav to like them but u should respect them. unless they rly are total fuckheads.
i like the new album. but fix you rly bugs me. i dont mind the last minute of the song. the slow piano bit just goes on for tooo long.

loydna
06-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Alright, let's go through this. In all of their albums, never once have I heard a "remix" or a "remake" of a song. Many other bands come up with remixes and remakes and so on after the first few albums. Linkin' Park, for example. Started out strong, then I think they fell into their fanbase of a bunch of "OMG I LOVE THIS ALBUM ONLY" people and started just doing remixes. They started out strong, but then decided "let's follow the fans." The Offspring follows its fans in the aspect that they know we don't want to hear the same song again in a different key.

If the song sucks the first time, it will more than likely suck another time. Have I heard a song from The Offspring that I hate? Not "hate" it took me a few times of listening to it to realise how good it was. Is there a song on this new album I dislike? Yes, I dislike one song--but it's weird. I dislike it, and I like it.

"You're Gonna Go Far, Kid." I like this song, and I dislike this song. During the main first part, Dexter sounds like a singer that I hear often and it's annoying because I can't pinpoint who it is. I love Dexter's voice when he sings, but when he sings this first part--I hate how it is sung, because it reminds me of Panic! At the Disco. And I despise the band so terribly. I love Dexter's voice and the key of that line:

"Show me how to lie,
You're getting better all the time,
And turn it all against one,
Is it all that's hard to change,
Another clever word sets off a unsuspecting herd,
And as you step back into line a macho sootheth fiend(I don't know about that last few words hah hah sorry Dex)"

I know it is how it should be sung, and I wouldn't want to be sang any other way. But it reminds me of Panic! At the Disco, and I hate that band with so much passion. This song I dislike, and like at the same time. Although, no matter how many songs I may have disliked from The Offspring--I have always liked their lyrics. Because of The Offspring I don't care how the song sounds, I care mainly about the lyrics. Things still tick me off about how some bands sing.

If the morals sent off by the band in a song are way fuckin' off, I dislike them. But did The Offspring sell out? No, the day they sell out is the day they bring "The Kids Aren't Alright (REMIX)" to the table. And if they mess with that song, a thousand kittens are dying at the hands of angry The Offspring fans.

PS: I'm not saying that Dexter sounds like the guy from Panic! At the Disco, I'm just saying that in that key and tone it's almost mistakable for a second. Dexter has more bass in his voice, I believe, and that's why it's different and better coming form him. Love ya Dex! Seriously--I wouldn't fuck with Dex, I think he'd kill me.

Living in Chaos
06-12-2008, 02:29 AM
But did The Offspring sell out? No, the day they sell out is the day they bring "The Kids Aren't Alright (REMIX)" to the table.

It has been done. See "The Kids Aren't Alright (Wiseguys remix)" on some versions of the Greatest Hits.

loydna
06-12-2008, 02:34 AM
It has been done. See "The Kids Aren't Alright (Wiseguys remix)" on some versions of the Greatest Hits.

-slaps head- Damn it, the one album I didn't get. Well, son of a gun, have there been any other remixes I haven't seen or know about?

--

Oh, wait, was that even made by The Offspring? Because if it was, then that destroys what I was thinking--but if it wasn't then I guess it shouldn't count considering that the band didn't make the remix themselves. That's what I mean. Like how, for example, Linkin' Park made a whole CD full of remixes and still remix their songs. Has The Offspring remixed their songs themselves for the purpose of selling CDs again?

Count Orlok
06-12-2008, 02:37 AM
I think that The Clash "shouldn't be" considered punk, because they sold out years before The Offspring even existed, and had a bunch of DISCO songs. I think that we should forget what a huge influence they had in punk music because of those disco songs. But they are still considered a punk band (and they should be, they are a great band), and so should be The Offspring. Just because of a few different songs it doesn't mean their album is bad, those few songs are quite a welcome surprise. I respect that everyone has their own taste in music, but naming Kristy as a reference for hating the album seems lame to me.

You´re really right!!!
Is The Clash not considered a punk band because of Sandinista or songs like Train In Vain?Or aren´t the Ramones punk because of songs like I Wanna Be You Boyfriend or Ramona?

Living in Chaos
06-12-2008, 02:40 AM
I think I know what you mean, like Linkin Park and JayZ's Collision Course??
"The Kids Aren't Alright" Remix probably wasn't directly by them, although it would've had to have had their approval to be on the Greatest Hits Album. I'm pretty sure Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) has had a few remixes too.

loydna
06-12-2008, 03:02 AM
I think I know what you mean, like Linkin Park and JayZ's Collision Course??
"The Kids Aren't Alright" Remix probably wasn't directly by them, although it would've had to have had their approval to be on the Greatest Hits Album. I'm pretty sure Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) has had a few remixes too.

I was going to say that but I figured you would have said "It would have their approval" it wasn't a bad remix. I mean--the fact that it got the attention of the band and even put onto a CD just is good enough! I mean--if I made a remix of a song, and it was recognized as being good enough for the band, I would be psyched.

If you look at a few other bands. Bands I dislike, also:

Fallout Boy
Panic! At the Disco
My Chemical Romance

I believe after their first few singles here in America (that I noticed) they bring back those same songs, except just for remixes. Those were directly made by them. "For the Memories," for one how many remixes does that have that was made by the band? Linkin' Park only had a few decent remixes in it but I think if the band really cannot come up with any NEW material, then they should just go on tour until more things come up.

I shouldn't say that The Offspring hasn't made a remix--I should say they haven't RELEASED a remix. Because they may toy around with songs, but I don't know if they plan on making remixes. But I think since they have been making new songs for this long--and it hasn't just been crap they should get a lot of credit, not many new artists (especially in punk/rock) can do that anymore. The Offspring really is an inspiration to everyone.

2L8IW1N
06-12-2008, 03:31 AM
This album is by far and away more enjoyable than splinter / co1. I liked both albums, but I find myself hitting the skip button occasionally (more frequent with splinter). Stop worrying about a music's "class". when we put everything in a "class" it just warps our brain into thinking it's gotta be the same to stay in that class. Offspring were among the first of the 'punk' genre of bands. It's been 18+ years. There are hundreds of 'punk' bands now. Shit is gonna sound similar, experiments will sound different. Stop worrying about the past, stop worrying about what class you think the music falls into, just listen to music for what it is. You dont have to like it, but you also don't have to judge it based on comparisons. Open your minds people.

Lord_Gabo
06-12-2008, 05:03 AM
this album sucks its nonsense its the worst album ive ever heard. this has the worst set of songs put together the worst cover art ive ever fucking seen and along with that horrid hammerhead video it is probably the worst package a band has ever put through and wasted a lot of time and money doing so. this album is a NEW low for the band and itll probably end up biting them in the ass and ruin their already decaying career. yeah youre all stupid for listenin to this and have horrid taste so yeah go ahead and kill yourselves (just like the offspring are doing to their careers ;) ).

piece and fuck a donkey.

yes man, go to the park and stay away from here!!!
if you don't like rafrag don't listen it don't?

Rooster
06-12-2008, 05:18 AM

piece and fuck a donkey.

We need a medic here.

Someone should call waambulance, please...

dff_punk
06-12-2008, 05:20 AM

piece and fuck a donkey.

Um.. sarcasm? Am I the only one who gets it? I doubt he was being serious.

Rooster
06-12-2008, 05:24 AM
I don't think it was sarcasm, look ai his post at page 3...

brad_logan
06-12-2008, 05:46 AM
The Offspring have been the most underground band ever

haha are you having a laugh?

i think that no album of any band had satisfied 100% of their fans yet.

you find me a rancid fan who doesn't at least like And Out Come the Wolves, or Let's Go, and i'll show you a Blink 182 fan.

Unless you are being serious and anal with the 100% thing (because, ok yes, there may be one or two fans of a band who dont like their flagstone album) (you'd be hardpressed to find an offspring fan who disliked Smash i reckon), then they can please 99% of their fan base. the difference here is that Offspring have pleased i would say closer to 50%. (Maybe out of their biggest fans they've satisfied closer to 90% though etc.) I'm not saying they should be out to 'please fans', they can/should do whatever they like.

Rooster
06-12-2008, 06:05 AM
haha are you having a laugh?

you find me a rancid fan who doesn't at least like And Out Come the Wolves, or Let's Go, and i'll show you a Blink 182 fan.

Unless you are being serious and anal with the 100% thing (because, ok yes, there may be one or two fans of a band who dont like their flagstone album) (you'd be hardpressed to find an offspring fan who disliked Smash i reckon), then they can please 99% of their fan base. the difference here is that Offspring have pleased i would say closer to 50%. (Maybe out of their biggest fans they've satisfied closer to 90% though etc.) I'm not saying they should be out to 'please fans', they can/should do whatever they like.

Chill out, man:)

I'am not having a laugh at my statement that The Offspring are the most underground band ever. I just wanted to point out that is ridiculous to accuse band of selling-out if they have been on a major label for the past ten years or so. Besides the music they are making is still good. And for the satisfying 100% of their fans... Well, i am shure that evry music album has got someone who is complaining about it (at least complaining about one song or the album production or something), even if he or she is doing that just to annoy others. But you're right, the band should please themselves in the first place.

Peace

brad_logan
06-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Chill out, man:)

I just wanted to point out that is ridiculous to accuse band of selling-out if they have been on a major label for the past ten years or so.

ah right

i agree with this, they were never one of those bands who said they wouldn't 'sell out' in the first place, so its unfair of people to accuse them of doing so. i dont even like the phrase 'sell out'; you're in a punk-rock band to get a message across, and make a living. by being on a major label this is surely just accomplishing both of these goals - the message being spread wider, and a making a comfortable lifestyle.

they've moved away from their roots, but then people should aks themselves what was the first cd they bought, and if they still like it?

loydna
06-12-2008, 09:50 AM
ah right

i agree with this, they were never one of those bands who said they wouldn't 'sell out' in the first place, so its unfair of people to accuse them of doing so. i dont even like the phrase 'sell out'; you're in a punk-rock band to get a message across, and make a living. by being on a major label this is surely just accomplishing both of these goals - the message being spread wider, and a making a comfortable lifestyle.

they've moved away from their roots, but then people should aks themselves what was the first cd they bought, and if they still like it?

I remember the first CD I bought but certainly not the only CD. I believe it was Americana, then I went back to their original releases. It was a weird transition I say because at the time I heard "The Kids Aren't Alright" almost all the time--the whole Americana CD was amazing. And it's easier to listen to their newer songs because I've heard every one of their songs. Maybe not in the order they were released.

Now how would I define Sell-Out? Shit, I don't know I've never used the word or had to use it. If I would have to say that Linkin' Park would have sold out, then. The world didn't need to see a whole remix. That's the only one I can say for now because I don't know how to define Sell Out. Many people say "This band is a sell out" well how would you define Sell Out?

Rooster
06-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Someone here has said that sell-out would have to be an it's own music genre, and he's right. Today almost every well known band is accused of being sell-out, and it's just ridiculous. If you make good music it's completely normal that you also get paid for it and you have thousands of fans all over the world. You must do something for a living.

Devidence
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
If they wind up wearing eyeliner and writing concept albums I'm giving up though.

Smash punker
06-13-2008, 05:18 AM
To those haters - commit a suicide! Burn in hell you stupid dumbshit goddamn mothers! Just stop complaining and shut the fuck up! :D Lalalala lalalala, Offspring rulez again and again! :D

iPunk247
12-16-2008, 07:11 PM
all 'em haters or so-cal ones all they do is hate on us and the offspring so what let 'em hate and let 'em envy and let 'em shit jealousy and let 'em eat their fucking nasty farts and let 'em keep on hating because their lameasses.:D

haters are my enemies. i don't give a shit nor a fuck. i just laugh at 'em all. xD

haters = a hobby or plain retartedness or maybe or perhaps a nobody wOOt :rolleyes:

i myself is a nobody but that's fine with me as long as my dearly loved ones don't get disrespected & vice versa. :)

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
12-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Many just wanted another Smash...

Why would anybody repeat an album they've already made. They're the real idiots, not Offspring.

The point about music is to expand, not to do exactly the same thing for 10 albums.

Iwishitallaway
12-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Why would anybody repeat an album they've already made. They're the real idiots, not Offspring.

The point about music is to expand, not to do exactly the same thing for 10 albums.

Exactly, it's their choice to make the music they want to make. As musicians, you have to grow. They love their fans but The Offspring have always done what they wanted to do and said "fuck" to everyone else and laughed...and change is imminent. I admit, I have mixed emotions about the last half of RAFRAG, but I'm not judging and I still listen to it and the rest of their music. I remember buying Smash (sadly, I won't tell at what age because it's depressing me), but The Offspring still rock!

Bipolar Bear
12-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't like player haters.

bouncingcoles
12-16-2008, 09:54 PM
i personally think RFRG was very weak. i also think offspring need to spice up their live shows. and if anyone thinks they can shun me for saying that can eat my ass because forums are meant for people to post their opinions

Bipolar Bear
12-16-2008, 09:58 PM
i personally think RFRG was very weak. i also think offspring need to spice up their live shows. and if anyone thinks they can shun me for saying that can eat my ass because forums are meant for people to post their opinions

I agree with the live show part but they are getting older and shit and yeah xP
They are still fucking awesome xD

Smash_Returns
12-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I feel that the second half isn't the strongest, but the first 4, and a few random other tracks are some of the best Offspring songs ever made.

However, people who feel the album sucks, simply because they didn't recreate Smash or Ixnay is just pissy because they support Progresso.

http://www.undeadassault.net/guide/images/2/23/ProgressoBillAyers.JPG

SweetTatyana
12-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Seriously, as said before, recreate smash & ixnay repeatedly and you get people complaining all their songs sound the same. Some people just want to complain.
I know their style did partly change but they grew up, became more mature etc., I wouldnt call them sell-outs. I don't think if they were trying to sell out they'd release Hammerhead? Hammerhead is so aggressive and serious!

SweetTatyana
12-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Also I remember when people said Americana was a sell-out b/c of like wdygaj and pretty fly but those are funny songs. Like pretty fly is a really good idea, I knew kids in highschool like that, it was hilarious and really cleverly written. Additionally, the tune was a bit lighter but it's not like you could use a song that sounds like session and sing about some wigger. Like give them a break, I know it's frustrating the amount of air time that got in comparison to TKAA but it's a funny song, they tried something new and it was good, I think.