PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Musician

Drums beating in my Heart
06-11-2008, 09:16 AM
So what's your favourite musician

Mine is Travis Barker(Drummer of blink, +44)
He's so fast and plays very powerfull.
I just love his solos!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItlsG-3BL-I

medi01
06-11-2008, 09:19 AM
for drums i think travis is best any day of the week...

i think dexters my favourite singer

El Hefe of NOFX is an awesome guitarist, as is Tim Armstrong of rancid...they're probs my favourite guitarists...

hard to say about a favourite bassist....greg k = total legend though

mrconeman
06-11-2008, 09:19 AM
I suggest you expand your knowledge of musicians.
Or even drummers.

edit:...I guess that applies to both replies.

medi01
06-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Or even drummers.

ur a knob...

edit: i guess u need to expand ur knowledge of musicians and actually listen to travis barker

0r4ng3
06-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Or even drummers.

To be fair, the thread is titled "favorite musicians". They both could've picked Byron McMackin or Meg White, and still have been technically correct.

ad8
06-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Favourite: Dexter Holland.
Considered best: Steve Vai

medi01
06-11-2008, 09:25 AM
To be fair, the thread is titled "favorite musicians". They both could've picked Byron McMackin or Meg White, and still have been technically correct.

thank you..... i don't see how you can judge ppl to have a small taste in music from their opinion of their favourite musician

mrconeman
06-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Oh, I get that entirely, but I somehow have the feeling that if they actually listened to anyone else they'd soon have a new favourite drummer or whatever else.

edit: i guess u need to expand ur knowledge of musicians and actually listen to travis barker
hahaha.

06-11-2008, 09:28 AM
I listend enough music, searched up enough drummers(as I am a drummer)
And Travis still is my favourite!
I don't know what's wrong with him... what is your favourite drummer??(mrconeman)

Dead Kennedy
06-11-2008, 09:30 AM
chet atkins:D:D

Jakebert
06-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Travis Barker is a pretty decent drummer, but yeah, I still agree with coneman.

Anyway, my favorite is, at least at the moment, John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats. Incredibly talented songwriter.

medi01
06-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Oh, I get that entirely, but I somehow have the feeling that if they actually listened to anyone else they'd soon have a new favourite drummer or whatever else.

hahaha.

man...i new the irish were stupid....but never dreamed they could be so close minded and thick

mrconeman
06-11-2008, 09:33 AM
I listend enough music, searched up enough drummers(as I am a drummer)
And Travis still is my favourite!
I don't know what's wrong with him... what is your favourite drummer??(mrconeman)
There's nothing wrong with him, he's a perfectly average-to-good drummer, I just get the impression that for a drummer to actually consider him they're favourite they're surely missing out on alot of other talented drummers.

My favourite drummers? I guess Nick Mason, Tommy Aldridge, Nicko McBrian and Steve Adler.

man...i new the irish were stupid....but never dreamed they could be so close minded and thick

Way to invalidate everything you've ever said.

medi01
06-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Way to invalidate everything you've ever said.

way to warrant everything you've said as utterly useless

mrconeman
06-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Nice play, invalidate everything you've ever said and then re-word what I said.
Jesus Christ you're incredibly fucking stupid.

medi01
06-11-2008, 09:41 AM
being called stupid by an irishman...i'm gonna have to give this thread a miss if ur gonna be around

now grow some potatoes
and find me a four leaf clover
and drink some Guiness

oooooooooooooooooooh yeah

06-11-2008, 09:43 AM
ow stop arguing, there's some good music in ireland...(murphys;))

mrconeman
06-11-2008, 09:46 AM
They're a pathetic excuse for an attempt at Irish music.

But anyway, on with the thread it would have been a good one.

06-11-2008, 10:18 AM
indeed, it WOULD have. But someone was saying that other people should expand their knowledge of music...

Little_Miss_1565
06-11-2008, 10:39 AM
DANNY ELFMAN

xo

JohnnyNemesis
06-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Or even drummers.

You could have actually made some suggestions here; it might've avoided thread derailing and such. Also, medi01 and everyone, let's cool it on bashing entire countries/regions and stuff. It's pretty much not cool.

My choice? Well, one of my choices is ALAN WILDER (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Wilder) NEVAR 4GET!!!

And because it'll get 1565 to give me a peck on the cheek if I say it, I'll give some love to Vince Clarke too. And I bet he'd love some lovin' from me.

nieh
06-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Travis Barker isn't the best drummer in the world, but he's way better than most of the "you should listen to more music!" people tend to suggest (I'm not speaking entirely of this thread, it happens all the time here and elsewhere) and he has style which is more than can be said about most of the technically superior robots out there. He's kind of simultaneously underrated and overrated depending on who you ask.

Sunny
06-11-2008, 11:06 AM
ow stop arguing, there's some good music in ireland...(murphys;))

the Dropkick Murphy's are from Boston.

and medi01, since you seem to be into bashing other people's nationalities, may I please remind you that you're British.

The Talking Pie
06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Lara St. John (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lara_St._John)

medi01
06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
the Dropkick Murphy's are from Boston.

also, since you seem to be into bashing other people's nationalities, may I please remind you that you're British.

English (dont like being confused with the scots, irish and WELSH!!!)...damn site better than where ur probably from ... in my opinion... no offense

Little_Miss_1565
06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
And because it'll get 1565 to give me a peck on the cheek if I say it, I'll give some love to Vince Clarke too. And I bet he'd love some lovin' from me.

Did you know that Vince Clarke is, like, married to a lady and has kids and stuff?

Superdope
06-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Josh motherfucking Homme! everything that man touches turns to gold. His drumming with the Eagles of Death Metal is mediocre at best, but the songs themselves require nothing more than that, so no problem there.

JohnnyNemesis
06-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Um, so yeah, can we stop the nationality stuff and get back on track now?

Andy
06-11-2008, 11:17 AM
My favourite living musician would be Josh Freese. Almost jack of all trades in the drumming world, and damn close to being a master of them all.

Favourite dead musician: John Bonham, closely followed by John Lennon.

JohnnyNemesis
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Did you know that Vince Clarke is, like, married to a lady and has kids and stuff?

You lie! You lie like rug!!!

Boys Say Go! Boys Say Go! *chants from here to eternity*

Superdope
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Was that a depeche mode reference, JN? :p

mrconeman
06-11-2008, 11:34 AM
English (dont like being confused with the scots, irish and WELSH!!!)...damn site better than where ur probably from ... in my opinion... no offense
On Geography you do realize that Britain is the Island made up of Wales, Scotland and England, nothing to do with Ireland?
It's why it's called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. But that's neither here nor there. The fact is you're British.

I have a little more time, so I'll throw out some of my favourite musicians.

Before I start, it's not to do with technical ability, it's to do with musician, in the true sense of the word.

Randy Rhoads, an exceptional talent, there's so much more to his music than whats on the surface, y'know Ozzy. Randy Rhoads was more of a guitar genius than a guitar hero. I actually can't say enough about how brilliant/ahead of his time he was, just check him out for more.

Basically the entirety of Pink Floyd functioning as a unit, they were all so ridiculously good at what they done, especially doing it together.

Slash of GnR/VR. I mean yeah, cliche, whatever, the guys got some serious chops and there's a reason he's held in high regard.

John Butler is the first 'new' guitarist I've seen for awhile now who's truely great, and definitely has his own style going on, from all the slide playing to the slap/tap stuff and he can sing well.

Nobuo Uematsu is one of my favourite musicians ever, yeah FF fanboy or not, he writes brilliant music. I love that he's self taught and writes scores as well as anyone who's been classically trained, inspirational stuff.

randman21
06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Nobuo Uematsu is one of my favourite musicians ever, yeah FF fanboy or not, he writes brilliant music. I love that he's self taught and writes scores as well as anyone who's been classically trained, inspirational stuff.
Whoa. You won't believe me, but I was coming to put this guy's name in the mix. I'm probably not as big a fan as you are, but the FFVIII soundtrack altered my life. Not too many people can say that.

medi01
06-11-2008, 11:54 AM
On Geography you do realize that Britain is the Island made up of Wales, Scotland and England, nothing to do with Ireland?
It's why it's called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. But that's neither here nor there. The fact is you're British.

yes but on my bit (top right) it says UK...didnt want to avoid any confusion.

I love leprechauns

...what...did u just say u loved leprechauns......unlucky

OffspringHead
06-11-2008, 07:30 PM
I think the fact people think travis barker is a good drummer is pathetic.

Listen to Niel Pert or Jon Bonham for godsakes.

And the best bassist alive right now is Les Claypool or Flea.

Best guitarist still alive is probably Eric Clapton or Gregg Allman.

Best vocalist would have to be Matthew Bellamy from Muse. I don't like Muse too much but he has an amazing vocal talent.

06-11-2008, 11:53 PM
another anti-travis guy...

It's called "what's your favourite musician?"
not "I don't like your favourite musician..."

Endymion
06-12-2008, 12:42 AM
for now i'll probably say weasel walter.

WebDudette
06-12-2008, 01:50 AM
Forgive me if I pick someone complete void of skill, because well, I generally am incapable of recognizing skill.

Songwriter - Wes Eisold

Actually, I'm not even going to try and pick any other form of artist. Though I can come up with a list of singers I adore.

Free?
06-12-2008, 02:27 AM
The most technical musician =/= favourite musician. For millions Avril Lavigne is the best, for others - Steve Vai. It's not just about skills, it's about how do you like overall picture of an artist. With all respect, mr Vai just can't beat mr Holland in my eyes even if Vai could play unimaginable solos with his dick (jokin ofc! ;) ).

Little_Miss_1565
06-12-2008, 06:46 AM
You lie! You lie like rug!!!

Boys Say Go! Boys Say Go! *chants from here to eternity*

I'm sorry, baby, but it's the troof.

This thread makes me feel like I need to start a Danny Elfman appreciation society.

JohnnyNemesis
06-12-2008, 07:35 AM
It's called "what's your favourite musician?"
not "I don't like your favourite musician..."

Not very eloquent, but most definitely true. This is the kind of thread where people should embrace their lack of knowledge on something, and just talk about who/what they love. Let's cool it, everyone.

I'm sorry, baby, but it's the troof.

Don't be makin' me cry :(

nieh
06-12-2008, 07:44 AM
This thread makes me feel like I need to start a Danny Elfman appreciation society.

I'd join.

06-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Not very eloquent, but most definitely true. This is the kind of thread where people should embrace their lack of knowledge on something, and just talk about who/what they love. Let's cool it, everyone.

Don't be makin' me cry :(

eloquent?? Can someone explain that word??

Short_Attention_Span
06-12-2008, 09:47 AM

I'd be down for that. All the Elfman talk makes me want to go listen to Only a Lad.

eloquent?? Can someone explain that word??

Eloquent = expressing oneself clearly, persuasively and passionately.

As far as my favorite musician goes, lately I've been on this oddball mix of Ted Leo, J Church (Lance Hahn), the Weakerthans (John K. Samson), Enrique Bunbury and Eddie Vedder. Take that as you may.
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

Little_Miss_1565
06-30-2008, 10:34 PM
The new Elfman song gave me a raging boner so I created the society!

Join!

http://offspring.com/forums/group.php?groupid=53

coke_a_holic
06-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Tom Waits.

Little_Miss_1565
07-01-2008, 04:21 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the holy trinity consists of Nick Cave, Tom Waits, and Danny Elfman. Hail satan.

Betty
07-01-2008, 04:59 PM
As far as my favorite musician goes, lately I've been on this oddball mix of Ted Leo, J Church (Lance Hahn), the Weakerthans (John K. Samson), Enrique Bunbury and Eddie Vedder. Take that as you may.

Awesome. Ted Leo and Samson are two of my all-time favourites. Both great lyricists/songwriters. And I still don't like Pearl Jam very much, but the stuff Vedder did for Into the Wild was great.

I just bought "Under the Influences" last week and loved it so I think I'll nominate Mike Ness for this thread. Social D has always stood the test of time and Mike Ness is such a damn sexy performer.

I also bought "Greetings from Astbury Park, N.J." and fell even deeper in love with Bruce Springsteen. Even his first album kicked ass, man.

But there are so many good musicians, I couldn't ever attempt to pick one.

Short_Attention_Span
07-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Awesome. Ted Leo and Samson are two of my all-time favourites.

Agreed. Although a lot of people say it's his weakest album, Living With the Living is my "feel better" album. And to a lesser degree, Reconstruction Site.

Social D has always stood the test of time and Mike Ness is such a damn sexy performer.

Ha! My friend and I were talking about Social D. this afternoon after class and their live shows. I think it's a sign that I should break out my copy of Sex, Love and Rock and Roll again.

I'd also like to throw Paul Westerberg and the Replacements into the mix. I've been really digging Let it Be, and Tim lately.
________
HEMP MARIJUANA (http://marijuanahemp.com)

Betty
07-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Who are you and where did you come from and how did you read my mind? Stalker? Must be. That's the only explanation.

I haven't been able to get into "Living with the Living" yet, although I did listen to it on repeat about three times a week ago to try and do so. Didn't work. Maybe I'll need to try again.

I love Reconstruction Site. Just as a whole. It makes me happy. But I love all Weakerthans. I actually was putting CDs away a little while ago and dropped a case on my copy of Fallow and the CD cracked in half and now I am heartbroken.

I was listening to Social D at work also about a week ago, and put on Sex, Love, and Rock 'n' Roll, which I had only ever half gotten into, and realized how good it was and played it on repeat for a while and danced and sang along. And THAT's why I love Mike Ness. Everytime I listen to him, he gets better. EVERYTIME. For the past seven years or however long I've been listening to him.

Anyway, if I were to list my top five favourite bands ever... and I don't know if this list exists only for sentimental reasons at this point and I should move on... but they go (in no particular order): The Weakerthans, Social Distortion, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, THE REPLACEMENTS, and the Offspring. The thing is, with the first two, I can go back to them again and again and they get better and better, but with the last three they don't seem to be QUITE as good when I listen to them now, but I fell SO SO SO madly in love with them when I discovered them that they remain on the list.

And that's why I feel like your two posts are too crazy coincidental.

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 01:32 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the holy trinity consists of Nick Cave, Tom Waits, and Danny Elfman. Hail satan.

Nick Drake > Nick Cave, just sayin'.

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Nick Drake > Nick Cave, just sayin'.

Yeah, I guess you'd be right...if you're a pussy! ;)

I'm kidding, but I don't think the two Nicks are in the same ballpark. I love Nick Drake, but "Deanna" >>> "Pink Moon." Cave would wear Drake's innards as a hat.

Short_Attention_Span
07-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Who are you and where did you come from and how did you read my mind? Stalker? Must be. That's the only explanation.

A doppelganger? Long lost twin? Why do I have to be a stalker? :( :p

I haven't been able to get into "Living with the Living" yet, although I did listen to it on repeat about three times a week ago to try and do so. Didn't work. Maybe I'll need to try again.

Eh, from what I've heard, that album's kind of hit or miss anyway. For me, for some strange reason, it really clicks. But compared to the Tyranny of Distance or Shake the Sheets, it's hard for this one to stand up--especially since it tends to be kind of scattered and, for lack of a better term, long, and in some instances, repetitive.

I love Reconstruction Site. Just as a whole. It makes me happy. But I love all Weakerthans.

Ha, same here. I remember when I first got that album in the mail, it was the only thing I listened to for a good couple of weeks.

Anyway, if I were to list my top five favourite bands ever... and I don't know if this list exists only for sentimental reasons at this point and I should move on... but they go (in no particular order): The Weakerthans, Social Distortion, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, THE REPLACEMENTS, and the Offspring. The thing is, with the first two, I can go back to them again and again and they get better and better, but with the last three they don't seem to be QUITE as good when I listen to them now, but I fell SO SO SO madly in love with them when I discovered them that they remain on the list.

And that's why I feel like your two posts are too crazy coincidental.

Whoa! This is completely uncanny! But there is a very slight difference: for me, it's the Weakerthans, TL/Rx (I'm lazy) the Replacements, Green Day and Jawbreaker. Those are the bands that I can go back to, and for me, stand the test of time. Well, except for the Replacements, 'cause I just recently got into them--but, now I'm so hooked anyway, I don't think I can go back haha. Either way though, I know I'm going to be very happy if one of their Cd's pops up on my iPod or is blasting on my stereo. And I agree, the Weakerthans tend to get better and better with each listen. The other's... they're still good, but I keep finding little nuances in the Weakerthans stuff or just something that makes me say "wow. I didn't notice that before" or "dang. this song is really good." so, like the geeky music buff I am, I get totally stoked and appreciative for that.
________
Motorcycle tires (http://www.motorcycle-tech.com/tires/motorcycle-tires)

zsk
07-06-2008, 02:17 AM
travis barker-best drummer of the world
dave murray-best guitarist of the world
dexter holland-best singer of the world