PDA

View Full Version : Songs that Grow on You

IamSam
06-12-2008, 06:35 PM
This thread came into being a day ago, really, when jacknife737 and I were talking about songs from the new album that have been growing on us. So, I have two questions:

1. What new songs from the album did you not really like in the beginning and now are growing on you?

and

2. What songs from previous albums did you not really like, but then they grew on you?

Here are mine:

1. I really didn't get into Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom until last night. I kept listening and reading the lyrics and I really did its message. I also really like the guitar starting at 2:25. For some reason (don't crucify me) that line sounds like something Tom Delonge would have played during Blink's Enema days. I like it.

2. The second one is She's Got Issues. I never really enjoyed that, until...well...I went out with a chick with major issues, one of them addiction to alcohol and other things.

Conspiracyof1000
06-12-2008, 06:40 PM
1. I haven't listened to the album yet. :p

2. Me and My Old Lady. At first I would listen to it and not really enjoy it, and now I listen to it almost every day. Still haven't figured that out.

Dan Ta Life
06-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I didn't like A Lot Like Me but it has been growing on me. And i'm right there with you on She's Got Issues, i never liked that song until i broke up with a girl about 2 years ago. She was absolutely out of her mind (come to think of it, i date those types of girls almost exclusively)

Jaded skies
06-12-2008, 06:49 PM
i never really liked fix you but now i kinda do. same thing with rock bottom

and other albums, lets see... cant get my head around you, come out and play (surprisingly) smash it up, and dui

TeddyBear_Army
06-12-2008, 07:08 PM
1. I thought Nothingtown was really dull in the beginnig, but now it´s really grown on me. I absolutely love the solos and the lyrics mean a lot to me.I love the chorus and dexter´s voice...So...it went from 6-7 range straight to 10!

2.All along...same thing...I though it was really dull, but I now love it. I actually suffered exactly what the lyrics say, so yeah...

cool 2 hate 681
06-12-2008, 07:35 PM
the first time i listened to rise and fall and oc life i did not like them now i have rise and fall stuck in my head and think oc life is one of the best covers they have ever done

from 1998 until the year 2001 i did not like The kids aren't alright:eek:

brian.offspring
06-12-2008, 07:48 PM
1. What new songs from the album did you not really like in the beginning and now are growing on you?

and

2. What songs from previous albums did you not really like, but then they grew on you?

1- kristy, are you doing okay?
it was so lame at the beginning . . but then i started appreciate the lyrics . . and now i like it . .

2- she's got issues . . i didn't like this song . . but then i understood that the lyrics where sooo true (in some cases, not all women)

JohnnyNemesis
06-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Race Against Myself. It's weird, 'cause it's just not my kind of song and I probably shouldn't like it, but it grew on me in a big way and I love it now.

On the new album, it hasn't happened yet, but we'll see.

jacknife737
06-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Rock Bottom, Takes Me Nowhere, Fix You and even Rise and Fall have all grown on me tons. I really, really liked all these songs when i first heard the album, i guess i was just too blown away by the likes of Half-Truism/Kid/, ect to really appreciate them. They are all amazing songs.

As to other albums, the main ones for me would be Pay the Man and Me and My Old Lady. With Pay the Man, I think i hadn't developed a sense of patience or something, because when I first heard it I thought it was probably the most boring song ever written.... lets just say opinions have now changed. With Me and My Old Lady, initially it just didn't click with me until quite recently, I love, love, love the vocals on this one.

Little_Miss_1565
06-12-2008, 11:00 PM
I don't think I've had enough time with the new album for anything I wasn't as excited about to grow on me.

As for previous albums, I don't remember why but for whatever reason I really didn't like "Pay the Man" at first. Over time it's become one of my favorites.

medi01
06-13-2008, 01:28 AM
1. Nothingtown...i didnt liked it too much until i played it!!! but its awesome!

2. (there are quite a few): Gone Away
Change the world
Me and my old lady
Denial revisited
Lightning Rod

MAXTER
06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Rise & Fall, Rage & Grace Grown On Me!!! Amazing Album!!!!

medi01
06-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Rise & Fall, Rafe & Grace Grown On Me!!! Amazing Album!!!!

lol "rafe and grace"

Muttleygirl
06-13-2008, 02:12 AM
I remember the first time I listened to Lightning Rod I didn't like it too much... and then it ended up becoming my favorite song on Splinter! All Along and It'll Be a Long Time grew on me too.

F@ BANKZ
06-13-2008, 02:50 AM
The one that's grown the most on me is genocide.

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 03:30 AM
Rise & Fall, Rafe & Grace Grown On Me!!! Amazing Album!!!!

i'm with you maxter

holland25
06-13-2008, 03:35 AM
1. Fix You. I didn't like it at first, but then I listened to it on my mp3 player, and it gave me goosebumps. Now I absolutely love it. I remember last time that song gave me goosebumps was when I heard Denial, Revisited for the first time.

As for previous albums, I don't remember why but for whatever reason I really didn't like "Pay the Man" at first. Over time it's become one of my favorites.

Yes, the same with me.

disclaimer_07
06-13-2008, 03:47 AM
I guess that Fix You is the best song from the album. I already liked it in the very beginning.
I actually didn't like Rise And Fall, but now I think it kicks ass pretty hard.
And I am still uncertain about Stuff Is Messed Up, for now, I love the part in which he's saying lots of things in such a fast manner.

ad8
06-13-2008, 05:09 AM
When I first got into the Offspring music, I couldn't stand the whole Ignition and S/T album at all(probably because of the sound quality), but they grew on me.

Manic Subsida
06-13-2008, 06:03 AM
When I first got into the Offspring music, I couldn't stand the whole Ignition and S/T album at all(probably because of the sound quality), but they grew on me.
S/T? Smash? Whats the T for?

Rooster
06-13-2008, 06:22 AM
S/T? Smash? Whats the T for?

The S/T stands for self titeled (The Offspring) album, not for Smash :)

Rooster
06-13-2008, 06:25 AM
I guess that for me the grower songs on the new album are Kristy and Fix you, i liked other songs right away (i liked those two songs also, but i like them even more now)

Unnatural Disaster
06-13-2008, 11:46 AM
I hated Pay the Man when I first heard it, now it's one of my favorites.

Manic Subsida
06-13-2008, 12:12 PM
The S/T stands for self titeled (The Offspring) album, not for Smash :)
Of course. Thanks. ^^

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I hated Pay the Man when I first heard it, now it's one of my favorites.

What he said, the other was L.A.P.D. The album that had to grow on me is CO1, but must admit it is my least favourite album when compared to the other eight.

From the new album ... Fix You is growing on me.

MikeRamone
06-13-2008, 05:08 PM
I started liking "Let's hear it for Rock Bottom" today! I really think it's kickass now=) At first didnt like it much at all. So that one has grown on me...and I hope the same thing will happen with some other songs from RAFRAG..they are = Kristy, Nothingtown, Fix you.

commonrider5447
06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
1. I liked every song with the exception of Rise and Fall before bc I didnt think it sounded like Offspring and too much like Green Day, but after more listens I actually like it and I think its better than American Idiot (which I also like), and its not THAT similar to green day actually , plus American Idiot was ripped off Dillinger Four anyways

2. I didnt like Vultures, One Fine Day, or Me and My Old Lady the first time i heard them, but now I like them and Me and My Old Lady is fricken awesome.

iPunk247
06-13-2008, 07:11 PM
all of 'em songs grow on me like literally and automatically makes me powerful.

keonii7
06-13-2008, 07:36 PM
The album art. At first I was like whaaaat ghetto! But now I love it.

Unnatural Disaster
06-13-2008, 08:42 PM
The font on the album cover is growing on me too.

At first I Absolutely HATED it, now it's getting a little better for me. I can tolerate it now.

Gustavo
06-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I wasn't really into A Lot Like Me when I first hear the 30 seconds preview, when I heard the intire song for the first time, I thought it was better than I thought It would be when I heard the preview, but still, I didn't like the song.
Now I Just can't stop listening to the song, it's one of my favorite songs!
:D
I have always liked Stuff Is Messed Up too, but not that much, but, since yesterday I started to enjoy this song more than I enjoyed!

Lightning Rod is probably my favorite song, all my friends know that, but, believe it or not, there was a time I didn't like the song. :)
It happens all the time.
I do not like Fix You that much now, but I'm sure someday it'll be one of my most-listened songs.