PDA

View Full Version : LA TIMES article

RonWelty
06-12-2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-ca-offspring15-2008jun15,0,1497135.story

enjoy.
that stuff for blackberry i saw he registered in 2005.

drex878
06-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Just finished reading. Such a great article, thanks a lot!

Ryder1234
06-12-2008, 06:29 PM
pretty cool. thanks!

Conspiracyof1000
06-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Sweet. :cool:
My favorite part was "You don't want to get shot down. That's bad." :)

code_blue
06-12-2008, 07:07 PM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-ca-offspring15-2008jun15,0,1497135.story

enjoy.
that stuff for blackberry i saw he registered in 2005.

so did he actually write some software himself, or did he just hire a company to do it? what else do you know about it?

oh and it's interesting that the article doesn't even mention nitro records as one of his side projects. seems like it's sortof on the backburner these days...

IamSam
06-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Everyone should read this segment:

Holland is proud that the song "said something that people connected with and it was something other people weren't singing about." But he bristles at the mention of the "sellout" label that came with all the radio hits.

"Who decides what is and what isn't punk? I want to write songs that people hear and feel and I want to be successful and reach a big audience," he says. "I'm not trying to be the coolest guy in the world, I'm trying to write songs that mean something to people. As you get successful, sometimes you lose one set of fans and gain another."

Now, when Holland talks to members of Pennywise and NOFX, the spirit is about surviving, not competition. "Everybody sort of settled into the place they wanted to be. NOFX realized they didn't want to be on the radio. It's very cool and comfortable. . . . Lord knows we've done better than we probably should have. Selling another 10 million albums is not a priority. Putting out something you're proud of is."

RonWelty
06-12-2008, 07:42 PM
so did he actually write some software himself, or did he just hire a company to do it? what else do you know about it?

oh and it's interesting that the article doesn't even mention nitro records as one of his side projects. seems like it's sortof on the backburner these days...

i don't know much, but in the patent, it says HE created that

iPunk247
06-12-2008, 07:59 PM
gracias. great stuff. my fave part was all of it. ok except teh GD *cough* sellouts *cough* crap though.

Dan Ta Life
06-12-2008, 08:53 PM
So i may not be up to date on everything, but why did Ron leave the band? It seems Dex pussyfoots around the question in all the interviews i have read.

HeadAroundU
06-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Fantastically written article. :)

Thomas
06-12-2008, 09:21 PM
I think I'm gonna have to share that one. Really really awesome.

Cock Joke
06-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Does anyone know why they weren't allowed at that Social Distortion concert?

jacknife737
06-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Holy shit, this is really interesting, cheers for sharing RonWelty. I thought he sold “Anarchy Airlines”? Although I suppose he just “replaced” it. The blackberry thing is also really cool.

A couple other interesting things are the bits about Welty, this along with the Noodles Finnish interview, definitely make it seem as if his departure was not as smooth as we were led to believe.

Also, the bit about Rubin also got my attention, but I agree that there seems to be a lot more promotion invovled with this album. Maybe if Bob can’t produce the next album, he may step in? Haha, but I suppose I shouldn’t get a head of myself, considering how great of a job Bob did.

Definatley one of the better articles that I’ve read about the band.

ThunderPX
06-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Holy shit, this is really interesting, cheers for sharing RonWelty. I thought he sold “Anarchy Airlines”? Although I suppose he just “replaced” it. The blackberry thing is also really cool.

A couple other interesting things are the bits about Welty, this along with the Noodles Finnish interview, definitely make it seem as if his departure was not as smooth as we were led to believe.

Also, the bit about Rubin also got my attention, but I agree that there seems to be a lot more promotion invovled with this album. Maybe if Bob can’t produce the next album, he may step in? Haha, but I suppose I shouldn’t get a head of myself, considering how great of a job Bob did.

Definatley one of the better articles that I’ve read about the band.

Going by past trends, Bob will produce the next one and then they'll get a new guy. :D

ad8
06-13-2008, 04:45 AM
Does anyone know why they weren't allowed at that Social Distortion concert?

I guess they were too young.
Great article btw. Thanks for sharing!

Jesus
06-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Someone got a link to Dexter's patent? ;)

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Someone got a link to Dexter's patent? ;)

it's some kind of localizer. i forgot the link, i found out typing his home address a long time ago.

GunForHire
06-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Damn good interview. Never knew Dex owned a 'fighter' jet either! The man really is something of an international playboy :)

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Damn good interview. Never knew Dex owned a 'fighter' jet either! The man really is something of an international playboy :)

without the girl thing;)

GunForHire
06-13-2008, 07:20 AM
OK, without the bunnies, but still, a jet, a fighter plane, hot sauce, software patent, degrees, round the world solo flights, what's next?

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 07:29 AM
OK, without the bunnies, but still, a jet, a fighter plane, hot sauce, software patent, degrees, round the world solo flights, what's next?

he's more close to be a rich geek, than a playboy ;)

IamSam
06-13-2008, 07:37 AM
http://www.youngeagles.org/photos/gallery/Military/AeroL-39.jpg

Anyone else want one?

Manic Subsida
06-13-2008, 08:51 AM
So i may not be up to date on everything, but why did Ron leave the band? It seems Dex pussyfoots around the question in all the interviews i have read.
Ron left The Offspring to start his own band, Steady Ground.

__

Well, thanks for the article. This was a really good one. And damn, Dexter is COOL!

"I remember at that Weenie Roast, they had this rotating stage, so they could just set up gear for the next band and, between sets, turn it and just go. The band James was right before us. I'm standing there waiting and when they rotated it I remember looking at the audience and thinking, 'This is it, this the moment.' And it was."
Priceless.

And, haha. This article sound like a cute, little story. Look at this for example:
"It's a different afternoon and Holland is ambling around a huge hangar he keeps at the Havasu airport. A giant USC flag hangs on the wall and, behind glass, there's a sleek little lounge dotted with vintage aviation artwork."

Manzanubrio
06-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I think it's exactly this jet, not a fighter :D

i suppose almost everyone knew he has a jet, and he's the pilot :rolleyes:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/jonny_five/offspring.jpg

Cejus
06-13-2008, 09:12 AM
He has both a jet and a fighter. He's cool as that :cool:

Manic Subsida
06-13-2008, 09:53 AM
He has both a jet and a fighter. He's cool as that :cool:
Seriously, Dexter is awesome.

IamSam
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
He has the Anarchy Airlines Cessna and that fighter I posted.

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 10:40 AM
He has the Anarchy Airlines Cessna and that fighter I posted.

and he has too a small prop plane, the first one.

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 11:44 AM
dexter IS the man!!

dexter created God, then God created all living and non-living things!!

D-E-X-T-E-R!!

lol...oh dexter dexter....do you still have that lab? get back to it and find a cure for cancer or aids...

YOU CAN DO IT!!
(just don't forget to take me with you to help you out)

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
"Well I guess I should stick up for myself"

vs

"Well I guess I should speak up for myself"

hey you reporter...what about some home work huh?

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 12:04 PM
he could teach me some microbiology because i really need it to my monday's exam.

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 12:08 PM
he could teach me some microbiology because i really need it to my monday's exam.

aawwww yeah.....

one time this girl asked him to help her out with some math works...and he said he would....you must try...ASK HIM!!

maybe it's all kinda twisted right now in his mind....it's been a long time since he left studies lol...probably....huh?...right?....

Capricorn4
06-13-2008, 12:18 PM
aawwww yeah.....

one time this girl asked him to help her out with some math works...and he said he would....you must try...ASK HIM!!

maybe it's all kinda twisted right now in his mind....it's been a long time since he left studies lol...probably....huh?...right?....

Dexter should do my biochemistry exam next week.

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Dexter should do my biochemistry exam next week.

maybe if you ask him....

Capricorn4
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
maybe if you ask him....

They touring in Europe,so I might give it a try...:D

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 12:36 PM
They touring in Europe,so I might give it a try...:D

lol

GO FOR IT

i'm with you!!

Manic Subsida
06-13-2008, 12:37 PM
lol

GO FOR IT

i'm with you!!
..wish I could join to. :/

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 12:40 PM
..wish I could join to. :/

yeah lol

we could creat a fan club...ya know?? like fans in need!!

fans who need dexter's help at school

what do you think?? :P

Manic Subsida
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
yeah lol

Yeah, let's create a Facebook groupe and see how many is joining. LoL :p

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah, let's create a Facebook groupe and see how many is joining. LoL :p

i don't know why but i got this feeling it would be a lot of people lol fans and non fans!!

Capricorn4
06-13-2008, 12:45 PM
yeah lol

I'm totally with you,he should help on our thesis too.

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm totally with you,he should help on our thesis too.

YYEEAHHH

mine is about atherosclerosis and i could use some help :D

Capricorn4
06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
YYEEAHHH

mine is about atherosclerosis and i could use some help :D

Well maybe he could help in paleontology,that's kinda biology related.

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Well maybe he could help in paleontology,that's kinda biology related.

ya know...he is SO smart that he basically understands pretty much anything!!

well at least i have this feeling lol

Manic Subsida
06-13-2008, 12:51 PM
i don't know why but i got this feeling it would be a lot of people lol fans and non fans!!
Yeah, it could be. xD

Capricorn4
06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
ya know...he is SO smart that he basically understands pretty much anything!!

well at least i have this feeling lol

Well then I bring him on fieldwork,he should try rock climbing,it is as good as flying,at least for me as I'm obsessed with that and hiking.

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Well then I bring him on fieldwork,he should try rock climbing,it is as good as flying,at least for me as I'm obsessed with that and hiking.

i think he would love it!!

seriously!

Capricorn4
06-13-2008, 01:01 PM
i think he would love it!!

seriously!

Yeah maybe cause it's adrenaline related,can be dangerous as flying a fighter jet.

IamSam
06-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah maybe cause it's adrenaline related,can be dangerous as flying a fighter jet.

I like flying but I hate rock climbing. I'd rather trust a machine and my instinct than my pathetic excuse for coordination.

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I like flying but I hate rock climbing. I'd rather trust a machine and my instinct than my pathetic excuse for coordination.

lol

but that's you :P

dexter is good at anything so...he would climb anything you want as fast as a zebra running away from the lion lol

Capricorn4
06-13-2008, 01:10 PM

I've only flied with aircraft,so I don't know to much about how to fly a jet,since I don't even have a driving license because of my bad eyesight.

IamSam
06-13-2008, 01:20 PM
I've only flied with aircraft,so I don't know to much about how to fly a jet,since I don't even have a driving license because of my bad eyesight.

Um...I know about here in the US...but in Hungary do they let you fly just with a drivers licence? Because I find that horrifying.

Rutegard
06-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Um...I know about here in the US...but in Hungary do they let you fly just with a drivers licence? Because I find that horrifying.

horrifying LOOOOOOL sorry it was too funny!!

Capricorn4
06-13-2008, 01:29 PM

No they don't,we have other requirements for that,maybe my previous post didn't make sence,I used the driving license thing as a reference that I can't even drive,so I'm not an expert in flying a plane.Sorry,but English is not my native language.

Capricorn4
06-13-2008, 01:30 PM
horrifying LOOOOOOL sorry it was too funny!!

And yes it would be horrifying,since our country is almost the leader in car accidents,sadly.

The_Special_Delivery
06-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey, join in if you are a Facebooker ^^

Group: Dexter Holland: Help Us!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21173532702&ref=mf

medi01
06-13-2008, 01:37 PM

why du want dexter's help with hwk? im sure he's really gunna go on facebook to help you

The_Special_Delivery
06-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Who knows...:rolleyes:

I suck so bad he may have pity!

The Search Button
06-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Who wants to take a ride on Dexter's plane?

o/

dff_punk
06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
The article is awesome. It seems Dexter is really living now the "finer days in his life"... Loved it.

camilo andres
06-13-2008, 02:51 PM
What a cool article.

I didnt know Dexter was a CCR and Jhon Fogerty fan. I'm also a huge fan of them since I heard Have You Ever Seen the Rain but the cover by the Ramones (on Acid Eaters) a couple of years ago (Joan Jett recorded it too), I loved those versions and I decided to look for the original one and it was like oh my god,what a pretty song, sounds awesome. Then I met them

It'll be fuckin great if The Offspring decide to record a CCR cover some day, I dont know wich one, all CCR songs are great but I like it to be Have You Ever Seen the Rain, Someday Never Comes, Fortunate Son, Who'll Stop the Rain... any song.

commonrider5447
06-13-2008, 04:34 PM

Ron would say on his new bands website that offspring was "Dexter's band" and I guess he felt Dexter was too much in control....I say, go cry about it the man made u a millionaire for playing the drums

Although Ron did KICK @$$ on Co1, Id say that CD has the best Offspring drums of any.

hshduppsnt
06-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Dude Awesome article thanks for sharing...

things like this just make me like dexter that much more hahaha, totally badass, I wish I owned those planes! (or any plane for that matter)

Camilamazed
06-13-2008, 05:20 PM
"We're making music now really only because we want to and it's the music that we want to play and hear. We're not doing this for the money anymore, we're doing this because we're friends and we love it. The challenges come from inside the band now."

Can this be anymore beautiful?

<3

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 05:58 PM
searching about that tiny airport in Arizona where he has that fight jet, i found out that he actually has a house there. OH GOD, i just found a lot of info about him, but i think i can«t share, but i tell, our little Dexter is a biz guy ;) you wondered why he needed 4,5 years to launch a new record, now i understand.

hshduppsnt
06-13-2008, 06:17 PM
searching about that tiny airport in Arizona where he has that fight jet, i found out that he actually has a house there. OH GOD, i just found a lot of info about him, but i think i can«t share, but i tell, our little Dexter is a biz guy ;) you wondered why he needed 4,5 years to launch a new record, now i understand.

dude hahaha thats just mean now i'm all curious ;)

l love that he has a freakin fighter jet, seriously, coolest guy every (save greg k... who is just the ultimate badass :))

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 06:26 PM
i can't say any about his private life, i will respect that, but biz things i found out:

he owns or has some type of association

BH AVIATION, INC
FSU, INC
GAMETE MUSIC, INC
GPS SOLUTIONS, INC
HUNGRY PUNKER (Gringo Bandito)

All the others things, about his houses and family, i think i can't post, right mods? Thanks

PS: i didn´t found any link with NITRO RECORDS, strange.

LowEndLem
06-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I just got the worst image of RonWelty going through Dexter's stuff when he's not home....

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 06:31 PM
I just got the worst image of RonWelty going through Dexter's stuff when he's not home....

no, i just have a brain, internet, a little of Dexter knowlegde and i am sick of studying.

brothadave79
06-13-2008, 06:33 PM
i can't say any about his private life, i will respect that, but biz things i found out:

BH AVIATION, INC
FSU, INC
GAMETE MUSIC, INC
GPS SOLUTIONS, INC

All the others things, about his houses and family, i think i can't post, right mods? Thanks

FSU, I remember reading about that a while ago in an interview. Didn't Dexter say something say something about "Fuck Shit Up Inc" that he wanted to start with Johnny Ramone?

EDIT: Never mind, it was Jello Biafra, http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Offspring-Biography/EA978BBCDADE713C4825689E00096AA9

A benefit foundation.

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 06:35 PM
FSU, I remember reading about that a while ago in an interview. Didn't Dexter say something say something about "Fuck Shit Up Inc" that he wanted to start with Johnny Ramone?

yes, i think it's that.

brothadave79
06-13-2008, 06:37 PM

EDIT: Never mind, it was Jello Biafra, http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Offspring-Biography/EA978BBCDADE713C4825689E00096AA9

A benefit foundation.

Editted post moved up from previous page.

brothadave79
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
http://jellobiafra.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=52

"Biafra, meanwhile, has jumped into the haves-versus-have-nots fray with a new organization he's formed with the Offspring's Dexter Holland that's called FSU. Jello says that stands for "Fuck Shit Up"; Dexter opts for the gentler "Freedom Starts Underground." Whatever it means, FSU has organizations like Amnesty International, AIDS Project LA, Poor Peoples United, and the Tree Foundation in mind as beneficiaries."

RonWelty
06-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Nitro Records owns that things i posted up, and even owns this : "OFFSPRING, INC" eheheh

Gustavo
06-13-2008, 08:03 PM
"We're making music now really only because we want to and it's the music that we want to play and hear. We're not doing this for the money anymore, we're doing this because we're friends and we love it. The challenges come from inside the band now."
Loved this part!

hshduppsnt
06-13-2008, 08:07 PM

BH AVIATION, INC
FSU, INC
GAMETE MUSIC, INC
GPS SOLUTIONS, INC

haha no I wouldn't want you to share personal stuff I'm just saying - bringing it up is like teasing us hahaha :). Interesting though, Dexter is involved in a lot of stuff

Little_Miss_1565
06-13-2008, 08:07 PM

No, you can't. Also, stalking is illegal. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

leo3375
06-13-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm surprised no one posted the photo accompanying the article:

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-06/39963633.jpg

Conspiracyof1000
06-13-2008, 11:59 PM

I live in Arizona and I'm shocked I didn't know about his jet hangar sooner. Then again, I don't go digging for info. ;)

Rutegard
06-14-2008, 02:31 AM

this is the funniest thing someone has ever created - the fans in need group

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

what the hell..
i'm in!!

RonWelty
06-14-2008, 03:10 AM
No, you can't. Also, stalking is illegal. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

so searching INTERNET is illegal, give me a break.
As i said I understand that posting here the information is wrong, but i also sent e-mails to them, their manager and the management company to make them know about how easy is to find information about them, and they,as it seems, didn´t give a fuck, so i'm not worried about it anymore. And, for your information, if you pay something like 20-50 dollars, you can know even "more personal" things. As far as i Know, this is a LEGAL service, because i know that it's used by companies to get information about employers, clients and shit.

PS: To avoid bitching, all the things i found out, came when i try to find photos of his airplane(the fighter) in that airport from Arizone.

Rutegard
06-14-2008, 03:24 AM
As i said I understand that posting here the information is wrong, but i also sent e-mails to them, their manager and the management company to make them know about how easy is to find information about them, and they,as it seems, didn´t give a fuck, so i'm not worried about it anymore. And, for your information, if you pay something like 20-50 dollars, you can know even "more personal" things. As far as i Know, this is a LEGAL service, because i know that it's used by companies to get information about employers, clients and shit.

PS: To avoid bitching, all the things i found out, came when i try to find photos of his airplane(the fighter) in that airport from Arizone.

THERE YOU GO!!

fight for your rights!

i'm with you!.....it's not stalking...it's find something out when you search for another one...this actually has a name...can´t remember tho...

Dexter_italy
06-14-2008, 03:58 AM
here's what i found

Gamete Music, Inc. v. BBDO Detroit and DaimlerChrysler Corp. -- Represented defendants in music copyright case brought by rock-band The Offspring, who contended that television advertisement for Dodge trucks copied their music. Case settled for nuisance value after allegations of copying were disproved.
________
MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

Manic Subsida
06-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Omg I got curious about Dexter. He's a smart guy.

Rutegard
06-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Omg I got curious about Dexter. He's a smart guy.

hum hum :D

Capricorn4
06-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Just finished reading it.Yeah you found personal information about him,but you didn't post it here so it's not illegal in my opinion.