PDA

View Full Version : Time for the Positive: What do you like about RAFRAG?

IamSam
06-13-2008, 04:11 PM
This is pretty easy, I'll start us off:

1. Length of album: I have to say that Splinter was just that, a splinter of an album. I really like that this album is 40 minutes long and contains 12 complete songs.

2. Diversity: I like the diverse nature of this album. I think it is great that they did an acoustic ballad song, mixed in some old stuff, and tried other various things with the album.

3. Noodles guitar work: I like the fact that they added some cool little bits from Noodles in here. I have to say that I really enjoy all the guitar parts and constantly get them stuck in my head.

4. Greg K and the prominent bass lines: I like songs with a prominent bass line. Many of the songs have it.

5. The Album Artwork: I have seen a snippet (Half-truism/Trust In You) and have to say that I love what little I've seen. I like the simplistic yet complex approach done by the illustrator.

Your thoughts?

brothadave79
06-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Add to that list the lyrics. I just posted in another thread how much the lyrics have improved over the last few albums. They may even be Dex's best ever. No foolin'.

The Search Button
06-13-2008, 04:18 PM
I like the fact that I can't honestly skip any of the tracks. I just can't do it. They are all so different and yet so offspring-ish.

I predict I will lose multiple 45 minutes of my life just sitting back and enjoying this new melodies.

Fuck yeah!

Angelo
06-13-2008, 04:24 PM
It is mind boggling to think that The Offspring aren't more well known for one thing; backing vocals and harmonies. Dexter writes brilliant melodies for both back up vocals and harmonies. Be it counterpart harmonies, as in the second and third chorus of TKAA or straight up harmonies as heard in the Trust In You chorus, Spare Me the Details and here and there in virtually every other song. As for backing vocals, his whoa's, yeah's, and repeats are so much better, so much stronger than any other band out there. Pure power.

Edit: Whoops, failed to mention that I think Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace shows off the above qualities better than any of their previous albums. :) Every single song has a display of vocal strength. Whether it's in Dexter's voice, or in the idea behind what it is he (or the back up singers) are singing.

camilo andres
06-13-2008, 04:27 PM
The album reminds me of the old times and try new material at the same time

The energy, the catchy choruses, real music, the POWER... my mom, she doesnt speak English but she heard some songs and said she likes them and danced a little bit with the music, haha

Great album

Angelo
06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
The album reminds me of the old times and try new material at the same time

The energy, the catchy choruses, real music... my mom, she doesnt speak English but she heard some songs and said she likes them and danced a little bit with the music, haha

Great album

Awesome stuff, camilo! My mom, dad, and younger brother all think this is their strongest album. Gotta' love it! :)

The Search Button
06-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Awesome stuff, camilo! My mom, dad, and younger brother all think this is their strongest album. Gotta' love it! :)

I don't know if it's their strongest, but I'm pretty sure that this one appeals to a more vast audience.

You family just goes to show my point. :)

Hitman-47
06-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I like a lot of things, I like a lot of people that are lame
I like to like stuff cause then I do have to try and make a change
I like the teacher, I like school
I like the cheerleaders and anyone who's cool
I like the album, I like RAFRAG
Do wanna learn everything, I want to be a genius.

Jaded skies
06-13-2008, 04:38 PM
i dont know why but one of the best thngs i like is the crispness of dex's voice. you can hear it in the opening line of half truism very well and also when he says "you against the world, diamonds and pearls" it just sounds real nice and polished. Which some people dont like, but i think it sounds great.

Angelo
06-13-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't know if it's their strongest, but I'm pretty sure that this one appeals to a more vast audience.

You family just goes to show my point. :)

My family's always been a fan of the band, to some extent. My younger brother can't stand most music today, but he downloaded the entire Offspring catalogue and put it on the mp3 player he and his wife use in their vehicle.

I'm willing to bet that my list of top 50 songs by the band would differ greatly from your average poster here, partly because I don't like "punk" music in general, partly because if the Offspring are to be considered "punk music" then the songs that actually fall into that category would be closer to the bottom of my list. Self Titled is BY FAR my least favourite album, but not because I don't like punk. It's because I truly believe they are inferior songs.

I have NEVER, EVER heard a band that other people would unquestionably call punk (NOFX, LAGWAGON, PROPAGANDI, etc.) do ANY SINGLE song as good as 1) Come Out & Play 2) Gona Away 3) Trust In You... And I could go on and on. Honestly, The Offspring are BY FAR (so very far) a better band and creators of music/songs than any punk band, if you were to ask me. I realize this is my opinion. And I respect (even though I may not agree with) everyone else's. :)

But back on topic, RAFRAG is a great album!!! A Lot Like Me is on right now. :D

oh_strange_one
06-13-2008, 04:45 PM
best thing i like about the new album is the fact its coming on MONDAY yeyyyyyyy :p

Hitman-47
06-13-2008, 04:47 PM
But in the RAFRAG Dexter sings mostly clear without any crispness, doesn't he??

dff_punk
06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
From the songs I heard so far, the backing vocals are really freaking amazing as someone mentioned here before. Seems like they listened to more Bad Religion:D

Jack-UK
06-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Trust In You.

'Nuff said.

keonii7
06-13-2008, 05:27 PM
I love how this album is completely unlike any any other album.

I can taste the Americana, Smash, Ixnay, and Ignition in it, but it's still quite different. Good job, Dex.

Mens
06-13-2008, 06:20 PM
The good thing about this album is, that they're is absolutely nothing bad about it.
It's just supreme.

TeddyBear_Army
06-13-2008, 06:29 PM
The good thing about this album is, that they're is absolutely nothing bad about it.
It's just supreme.
THE TRUTH HAS BEEN SPOKEN

killboybowerhead
06-13-2008, 07:11 PM
i just love this album.. I think it is just about the best thing they could have put out.

azevedu
06-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Trust In You....

Gustavo
06-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Almost everything! :D
It's a really different album, however, it's really good, there's a good diversity, they were successful by choosing to use piano on the record, the fact of not having an intro is really interesting. There are the heaviest songs like Half Truism and Trust In You, and the slowliest ones or most melodic ones, like Fix You and A Lot Like Me.
There are a lot of different things there, wich makes it more interesting to be listened, it's not my favorite Offspring album, but, probably, this album shows how grown The Offspring is. Now they do not do it just because they need money or something, and it really shows what The Offspring is.
One intersting quote that I really enjoyed:

"We're making music now really only because we want to and it's the music that we want to play and hear. We're not doing this for the money anymore, we're doing this because we're friends and we love it. The challenges come from inside the band now." - Dexter Holland.

So, fuck those who say that they're just trying those different things just to sell more and get richer and richer, they did this album the way they wanted to, they would be fooling theirselves if they had made some commercial stuff, just because the record company wants them to play so. :)
They've already gotten the money they need, the do not need to play anymore, they do it now 'cause they want too, and it's really nice of them.

Little_Miss_1565
06-13-2008, 09:08 PM
The first five songs MELTED MY FACE.

Cock Joke
06-13-2008, 09:36 PM
I like the bass solo in Trust In You.

Half-Truism is the best opening song they've ever chosen for an album.

Rise And Fall sounds like American Idiot.

Kristy, Are You Doing OK? is an excellent ballad and it's inevitable that this one becomes a chart topping hit.

Hammerhead makes a terrific comeback single. I also think the music video will grow on you big time if you watch it more.

Stuff Is Messed Up is about everything I believe in and is leaning towards being my favorite song of all-time.

Despite what "trupunx" might say, it is very good that they went into several directions with the music. I would have been annoyed if they just did the same things as usual. Each song is very unique and they deserve praise for that. Like nothing they've ever done before.

mrXniick
06-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Best thing about the album... is that it surpassed my expectations.

YGGFK, Trust in you, half truism and takes me nowhere are my favorite songs on the album... maybe even all time.

Oh.. and to the above poster... love your sig.

Cock Joke
06-13-2008, 10:12 PM
thanx, dude. ;)

GBH2
06-13-2008, 11:10 PM
best thing about the album: you're gonna go far kid.

best song hands down

half-truism is great, too

jacknife737
06-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Without sounding like a clichéd fanboy; everything.

But of course i'm sure you all want something a little more specific, although i'm quite sure everything that i love has been already covered.

I love, love, love the vocals on this album. Half-Truism is probably Dex's best effort to date. Not to mention the amazing backing vocals/harmonies which would put Bad Religion to shame.

The lyrics. I've always loved The Offspring's lyrics, even though sometimes they can be a little hit and miss (glares at Spare Me the Details), lyrically there isn't a weak song on the album.

The album art is probably their best ever. I mean, just look at the picture for Half-Truism. Not to mention the chained Angel on the inner side of the cd packaging.

You're Gonna Go Far Kid...... enough said.

Diversity, as others have already mentioned, and probably far more eloquently then I could put into words. My tru-punx side has been covered with tracks like Hammerhead/Trust in You, while YGGFK offer up progression, and stuff like Fix You offer up a softer, but nicer side of the band.

And it’s really nice to see some positive feeling in GOD for once.