PDA

View Full Version : Translation of songs

Hitman-47
06-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Guys, please, help!!

I'm from Russia and I'm translating The Offspring's songs. I started 3 days ago and beginned with the first album "The Offspring". I have already translated A Thousand Days, Black Ball. So, please, explain
1) what is "Black Ball"?? Is it a sort of slang or something???
2) Jennifer Lost The War. Who is Jennifer?? And about what war is spoken there?
3) Beheaded. I understood the words, but... Is it about a crazy teen, who used to kill everybody, cause he hated people??
If not, well, about what then??
4) Kill The President. Is it about their own feelings or there is "some story behind"?? By the way, I can't find it on this site.

Thank you, in advance, for help.:)

Camilamazed
06-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Hello, I hope it can be of any use.

Black ball: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blackball

Jennifer is probably a random name. Here's a link with an explanation about Little Miss 1565.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_Circus_Fire

=D

Gustavo
06-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Jennifer is probably a random name. Here's a link with an explanation about Little Miss 1565.

=D

Whoa, that's interesting, i knew Little Miss 1565 was a girl who died and no one recognized her or knew who she was.
But I didn't know about that circus fire and stuff, that's really interesting, thanks for posting =)

Gustavo
06-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I am not sure if it'll be helpful, but, anyway...
My website has some interviews translated into Portuguese where the band members talk about the songs, some pieces of interviews, unofortunately we do not have the English version, only the Portuguese one. But I can translate it back to English, I'm sure the words I'm going to use were not the ones they used when they actually said, but, here it goes.

"(In a Chat with The Offspring on November 13rd, 2000 at www.twec.com)
Question: What were you guys thinking about when you wrote Jennifer Lost The War? Does she really exist?
Dexter: I wrote it because of some news I read a long ago. It was about I girl who was found out dead, they called her "little miss 1566" because they couldn't identify who she was. 1566 was her autopsy nomber, or something."

http://theoffspring.com.br/pt/the-offspring/sobre-as-letras/1989-the-offspring/

Unnatural Disaster
06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Guys, please, help!!

I'm from Russia and I'm translating The Offspring's songs. I started 3 days ago and beginned with the first album "The Offspring". I have already translated A Thousand Days, Black Ball. So, please, explain
1) what is "Black Ball"?? Is it a sort of slang or something???
2) Jennifer Lost The War. Who is Jennifer?? And about what war is spoken there?

Thank you, in advance, for help.:)

The "war" is sort of referring to life. And how we are all soldiers in life. She lost the war because she was burned and raped, and then no one really cared. People read stories like this in the newspaper or watch it on TV and just disregard it as the norm, and Things shouldn't be like that.

Gustavo
06-13-2008, 08:41 PM
The "war" is sort of referring to life. And how we are all soldiers in life. She lost the war because she was burned and raped, and then no one really cared. People read stories like this in the newspaper or watch it on TV and just disregard it as the norm, and Things shouldn't be like that.
Yeah, that's exaclty what I thought they meant by using the term "war" in this song.
I think they meant, something, like...
We're all living our lives, we're having our daily wars and battles, and Jennifer lost the war, she lost her life, she lost her battle.

Hitman-47
06-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Thank you so much!!!! I've finally understood it!! Be ready to answer forthcoming questions

Hitman-47
06-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Read the first message and answer my new question, please

Gustavo
06-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Dude, there's a "Dexter On The Song" about that song, take a look:
http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/dexter?releaseName=The+Offspring&startingTrackNumber=6
You can check all the Dexter On The Songs in offspring.com.

Gustavo
06-14-2008, 02:47 PM
But, it's good to say that is obvious they did this song as a sarcastic one.
Something like a joke, no big deal i think, no 'the true story behind' the song like in Jennifer Lost The War.

Hitman-47
06-15-2008, 01:43 PM
And what about the song Kill The President???
Is it about their own feelings or there is "some story behind"??

By the way, I can't find it on this site.

Rutegard
06-15-2008, 03:12 PM
yeah weird...me neither....it's a nice song
i like it a lot

i can't find anything about it..it's like it never existed...WEIRD!!

i'm glad i have it on my CD :D

Manic Subsida
06-15-2008, 04:47 PM
yeah weird...me neither....it's a nice song
i like it a lot

i can't find anything about it..it's like it never existed...WEIRD!!

i'm glad i have it on my CD :D
'Caus it was removed, but I don't remember more... :p

Hitman-47
06-15-2008, 05:34 PM
So??? Does anybody know something about the history of the song's appearance??

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 03:46 AM

well..when i bough s/t....like...10 years ago lol....it had the kill the president....but i think some s/t albums don't....i'm not sure....to be honest i never realized there were some sord of discomfort here dealing with kill the president because i always had the song and stuff....

seriously...removing it was really stupid! it's such a great song!!

i can't tell you the story behind it...maybe someone else..plz! :P

holland25
06-16-2008, 04:23 AM

Original pressing of S/T had the song. The 1995 NITRO reissue did too. It was removed in june 2001, because the song was too offensive.

oh_strange_one
06-16-2008, 04:52 AM

=D

just read the article on little miss 1565 didnt know that its interesting, bizarre story :)

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 04:58 AM
just read the article on little miss 1565 didnt know that its interesting, bizarre story :)

yeah...i had already saw that song and always thought it was a random name...when i was seeing this history channel program about this lil miss 1565....and i was like...wait a minute i know this!! LOL and then i realized it was about that....specially becasue he says...her lil soul remains unclaimed....and it really did!!

sad story tho...

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 05:00 AM
Original pressing of S/T had the song. The 1995 NITRO reissue did too. It was removed in june 2001, because the song was too offensive.

really? !

no kidding!! too ofensive??

and what about the right of speech!!!

i guess it's all about the dream :P

oh_strange_one
06-16-2008, 05:02 AM
yeah...i had already saw that song and always thought it was a random name...when i was seeing this history channel program about this lil miss 1565....and i was like...wait a minute i know this!! LOL and then i realized it was about that....specially becasue he says...her lil soul remains unclaimed....and it really did!!

sad story tho...

yeah its a sad story isnt it a little spooky aswell the soul remains unclaimed thingwas that caught my eye i understand the song a lil better now i thought it was just a catchy lil bit in song :)

also the song kill the president, i didnt even realise that had been taken off the site good song though harmless fun, i've heard worse on other albums im surprise its been taken off

Manic Subsida
06-16-2008, 05:40 AM

sad story tho...
Heheh. :)
Yeah, sad story...

holland25
06-16-2008, 06:26 AM
really? !

no kidding!! too ofensive??

and what about the right of speech!!!

i guess it's all about the dream :P

Well, umm, the song was not meant to be offensive, but people took it as the real meant lyrics, so the part about killing the president is a little bit odd.

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Well, umm, the song was not meant to be offensive, but people took it as the real meant lyrics, so the part about killing the president is a little bit odd.

whatever i believe they have the right to say whatever they want

Hitman-47
06-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I've noticed that "Kill The President" has a very deep philosophical idea.
You know, I've just remembered Jesus Christ's words: "In an ideal world, there will be no rulers, because any rule is violence, when people understand this, they will reach the Paradise."

What if they wrote the song right after reading the bible??

holland25
06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
No.

Really.

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 02:47 PM
I've noticed that "Kill The President" has a very deep philosophical idea.
You know, I've just remembered Jesus Christ's words: "In an ideal world, there will be no rulers, because any rule is violence, when people understand this, they will reach the Paradise."

What if they wrote the song right after reading the bible??

that's a very anarchic thought lol

i don't think they read the bible and write songs after it...

probably they just didn't like the president...

Hitman-47
06-16-2008, 02:52 PM
And who was the president then??

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I've only made an assumption.

And why are you so sure?? Maybe you know the right answer, I guess??

Then, tell me the true version.

Pleeeeesaaaaaseeee

?????? lol