PDA

View Full Version : Counting in before the songs.

Jojan
06-15-2008, 05:38 PM
When I've heard live recordings of all my favourite Offspring songs when Pete have been behind the drums most of the intros have been ruined by him counting them all in with his hi-hat. 1, 2, 3, 4 - That never happend with Ron (miss you) or Atom. So why does Pete do it? I don't know, and I don't like it.

Songs such as All I Want, Self Esteem and The Kids Aren't Alright are ruined by the count ins. They don't sound good with it!

Well there's one exception where Ron counted them in, What Happend to You? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzd-oMYj9g). But that is one song. Not almost every song they play at their shows. So don't come with alot of links to songs where Atom or Ron counted them in.

No, I don't think they'll change that if they read this. But if they read this I want them to know what they're doing to me! RAFHGHRAGHGHFWHOPAZ!

dff_punk
06-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Maybe it's because of some pre-recorded backvocals and stuff, it was discussed here sometime...

Manic Subsida
06-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I voted yes, because I think it's better without. But it's not THAT bad, I can live with it. ^^

IamSam
06-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Thou doth protest too much.

Selfesteem_
06-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Jesus fucking christ, I honestly thought EVERYTHING there was to bitch about had already been bitched about. Nothing pleases you fuckers. Maybe the people who have nothing better to do than find things wrong with the band, live performances, songs, albums, and tours should create their own "lets have a cry together" forum, and stay off this one.

shanna_guarana
06-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Jesus fucking christ, I honestly thought EVERYTHING there was to bitch about had already been bitched about. Nothing pleases you fuckers. Maybe the people who have nothing better to do than find things wrong with the band, live performances, songs, albums, and tours should create their own "lets have a cry together" forum, and stay off this one.

once again, people, don't have your own opinions......although this is offs DISCUSSION......

jacknife737
06-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Thou doth protest too much.

Yeah, of all the things to complain about....

It's his style, to be honest, I didn't even notice all that much.

mat.kc.
06-15-2008, 07:42 PM

this man speaks the truth. :D

But yeah, it's not a big deal. Jesus. lol

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
06-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Don't worry dude, you're not alone.

It really pissed me off at soundwave. Every song had a 4-count. It got pretty fucking annoying.

Ryder1234
06-15-2008, 10:30 PM
on the topic of counting in, i swear i can here Josh go "1,2,..." on one of the first four tracks. anyone else hearing this?

Thomas
06-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Wha....?

Seriously?

Ryder1234
06-15-2008, 10:40 PM
i cant hear it right now but i heard it as he hits his sticks together at the start of trust in you.

djchopdogfresh
06-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Counting in doesn't really bother me. There's nothing wrong with it. Although, I do prefer it when a song starts with a guitar riff.

Ninty Man
06-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Counting in doesn't really bother me. There's nothing wrong with it. Although, I do prefer it when a song starts with a guitar riff.

MMM

Well, as a drummer I am, the start with the hi hats marks the tempo to follow... and maybe is his style, and maybe he needs to do it because:

1-. He's new in the band
2-. He has to learn like... what??? You like 20 songs plus RAFRAG new songs he didn't collaborate in studio
3-. He maybe feels a little bit nervous with messing up the songs (believe me,that happens)
4-. Is his style
5-. Is his style that will make a difference with other drummers
6-. He likes it
7-. Jojan has bigge man boobs that me and Dexter together

Marco
06-16-2008, 02:18 AM
I find it very annoying!!! (in songs like All I Want and Self Esteem and TKAA)

holland25
06-16-2008, 02:28 AM
I don't care. Sometimes it sounds cool.

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 02:32 AM
yeah..it ruinned all i want...without the OK all i want it's not the same...

seriously...i didn't like it....

the tick tick tick tick before each song is annoying!! period!

The Search Button
06-16-2008, 05:02 AM
yeah..it ruinned all i want...without the OK all i want it's not the same...

seriously...i didn't like it....

the tick tick tick tick before each song is annoying!! period!

Come on! Tick Tick Tick Tick is great.

No? What? Ok.

Manic Subsida
06-16-2008, 05:46 AM

Hey, calm down mister big-mouth!
This is an ok theme. It's not a big deal, but it's ok to discuss. If you think THAT's annoying, well, just don't hang around this thread then.

I thought it was better without the counting, but it's his style, and it's ok.

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Come on! Tick Tick Tick Tick is great.

No? What? Ok.

not when it supress dexter's badass scream "OKAY" before the ya ya ya ya ya :P

Jack-UK
06-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Wow, this thread is just lame. Get over it.

ygokazuki
06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
I think it's because Pete plays to a click track, or there are recorded samples that have to be synced with the performance so they have to go exactly to the recording which can't be done without Pete counting it in to the click...

Thomas
06-16-2008, 10:00 AM
MMM

Well, as a drummer I am, the start with the hi hats marks the tempo to follow... and maybe is his style, and maybe he needs to do it because:

1-. He's new in the band
2-. He has to learn like... what??? You like 20 songs plus RAFRAG new songs he didn't collaborate in studio
3-. He maybe feels a little bit nervous with messing up the songs (believe me,that happens)
4-. Is his style
6-. He likes it

This is the best post Ninty man has ever made. Being a drummer who has drummer for manhy ensembles before, I know what it's like to have a ridiculous amount of music thrown at me in a short amount of time, and this may just make him feel a bit more confident about what he's playing, therefore making the music itself better. besides, think of it as his little trademark. Kinda cute, isn't he?

I think it's because Pete plays to a click track, or there are recorded samples that have to be synced with the performance so they have to go exactly to the recording which can't be done without Pete counting it in to the click...

He plays to a click track? Man, that takes some balls. i would never do that because I know that if I get off of it once, I'm screwed, along with the rest of the band. Does he play with headphones? I haven't seen too many videos of him live yet.

Drums beating in my Heart
06-16-2008, 10:09 AM
MMM

1-. He's new in the band
4-. Is his style
6-. He likes it

I, as a drummer, like the counting in. The drummer plays his tempo, not the tempo of the band!! If he plays faster then the studio version, he plays faster! And yes, it is easier to start playing after a count in, you aren't so nervous anymore!

IamSam
06-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I, as a drummer, like the counting in. The drummer plays his tempo, not the tempo of the band!! If he plays faster then the studio version, he plays faster! And yes, it is easier to start playing after a count in, you aren't so nervous anymore!

Travis Barker is an example. Nearly every song I've heard of Blink-182 live with him drumming has him playing the tempo much faster.

The_Bass
06-16-2008, 11:12 AM
If it's necessary, so be it.

Don't whine about everything.

Ninty Man
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM

MMM, you have a point in there.

I play a bit faster the kids aren't alright and punk rock song, but I try to play the speed marked in the studio version so the band don't get's confused.

And thanks thomas for the flowers

nameless
06-16-2008, 03:41 PM
i havent seen any live videos with him yet, but all i want and self esteem start with a vocal lead in and the kids arent alright starts with a guitar lead in so it doesnt really make sense to have a count in. i cant say it matters too much, the band obviously dont mind!

Lightning Rod
06-16-2008, 03:59 PM
When I've heard live recordings of all my favourite Offspring songs when Pete have been behind the drums most of the intros have been ruined by him counting them all in with his hi-hat. 1, 2, 3, 4 - That never happend with Ron (miss you) or Atom. So why does Pete do it? I don't know, and I don't like it.

Songs such as All I Want, Self Esteem and The Kids Aren't Alright are ruined by the count ins. They don't sound good with it!

Completely Annoying!:mad::mad:
Oh Man I wish i could make this thread before....somebody)

Pete is asshole when he start self esteem with hi-hat....when dexter sings la la la la la la la la la la)

Selfesteem_
06-16-2008, 06:32 PM
So, anyone here appreciate anything?

umm, new album, live setlists, music video, noodles' hair, and now counting in... you sad little fuckers.

What would you like to cry about next? How about you have a good winge about... umm... lets say stage backdrops or lighting?? oh i think thats been bitched about too!!

How bout...... hmm im not sure, gum stuck to dexters shoe?? it that winge worthy?? if not im sure you will find something.

Jules69
06-16-2008, 07:17 PM

Well there's one exception where Ron counted them in, What Happend to You? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzd-oMYj9g). But that is one song. Not almost every song they play at their shows. So don't come with alot of links to songs where Atom or Ron counted them in.

No, I don't think they'll change that if they read this. But if they read this I want them to know what they're doing to me! RAFHGHRAGHGHFWHOPAZ!
Disagree!! Always sound raw like real punk should!!! Count is natural and REAL DUDE!!!!

bighead384
06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
You know, to be honest...I really didn't think it could be that big of a deal when I first saw this thread. But after watching a handful of recent live videos, I must agree, it is a little annoying how he counts off everything. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf0nAyaZzQg -Staring at the Sun Live

He does it here in the middle of the intro, and it's kind of weird hearing it there. And you know that floor tom roll right before it kicks into the verse? He cuts an entire fucking measure out of it. Pete plays great, but he could use a little practice playing The Offspring's songs.

cool 2 hate 681
06-16-2008, 08:23 PM
it is kind of annoying but i can live with it:cool:

ThunderPX
06-17-2008, 04:39 AM
And you can all whine behind your desks now
and you can whine "OH NOES COUNTDOWNS"
through you all
nobody cares

WHAAAAAAAAAAA

shanna_guarana
06-17-2008, 06:19 AM
I don't mind it.....sometimes it sounds really cool, and when I listen to songs with it, lots of them from smash...I catch myself singing 'tak, tak, tak, tak...' that's like the part of the song....as I've always knew it....lots of them actually.......and I'm speaking just about the studio material...

Jesus
06-17-2008, 06:26 AM
It already annoyed me a couple times on the first bootleg (summersonic). On most songs it's ok. But on songs like TKAA, Self Esteem, All I Want, Starring at the Sun it's really annoying.

Zee
06-17-2008, 06:27 AM
I don't really have an opinion of that...

It's probably to give the tempo for the rest of the band... so that when the drums truely comes in it doens't change all of sudden. And like in Hammerhead when they used the back up the tempo must be the same throughout the whole song.

It can easily give an amateurish image of the band if you count in with every song though... like they do right now. They could live without it too, but that's the way they've chosen now it seems and I'm sure they've discussed about it.

06-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I can't find TKAA or Self Esteem with count in...

Ninty Man
06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Completely Annoying!:mad::mad:
Oh Man I wish i could make this thread before....somebody)

Pete is asshole when he start self esteem with hi-hat....when dexter sings la la la la la la la la la la)

Is this... seriously?

SK8rocka
06-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Pete makes alot of mistakes
ive noticed alot of mistakes in old and new songs

(I had a dream that pete left for family reasons and ron did the download festival :))

Ron + New offspring = motherfucking best concert ever

shanna_guarana
06-18-2008, 04:57 AM
I think they really need counting on live performances....it is not a question about how good it sounds, either is it annoying or you like it...

Rutegard
06-18-2008, 05:06 AM
they didn't before

shanna_guarana
06-18-2008, 05:29 AM
they didn't before

what? they didn't need it or..?

Rutegard
06-18-2008, 05:36 AM
what? they didn't need it or..?

i don't know if they needed it or not before...i'm just saying that before...perfoming at live shows....they used not to do that annoying counting...and now they do...that's all i was trying to point out

shanna_guarana
06-18-2008, 05:38 AM
aham....how's that possible?

Camilamazed
06-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Hahaha

What's wrong with me?

I have never noticed that. Link me please?

:o

shanna_guarana
06-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Link me please?
actually wanted to say that...

Rutegard
06-18-2008, 06:05 AM
at rock in rio

the thing that pissed me the most was that the fucking counting comes in and dexter did not said the OKAY word before the YA YA YA YA YA....and it kinda ruined the song...

i didn't prepare myself for that lol

at rock in rio performance you can clearly hear the annoying counting before almost every song...grrrr...

shanna_guarana
06-18-2008, 06:12 AM
I don't find it annoying....I don't really notice it.....I think they do it on every live performance....but we just don't hear it.......cause we're waiting for the song....

I think this thread is stupid

06-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Pete makes alot of mistakes
ive noticed alot of mistakes in old and new songs
[/COLOR]

He just plays the way HE wants to play. Not the way YOU want him to play...

Rutegard
06-18-2008, 07:40 AM
I don't find it annoying....I don't really notice it.....I think they do it on every live performance....but we just don't hear it.......cause we're waiting for the song....

I think this thread is stupid

you never noticed becasue they used not to do it....but i notice it know because they start doing it...and i don't like it

and yeah it is stupid LOL

malibu43
06-18-2008, 09:34 AM
First of all, there's a good chance that they've always counted in on a lot of the songs, but it's just that Ron either did it verbally or just with drumsticks, so it was never audible to the crowd/on the recording. I don't think this is true for songs like All I Want, TKAA, Self Esteem, etc... that obviously used to start with vox or a guitar part, but I'd be willing to bet the count in was there for a lot of songs. I could be wrong about this, though.

But regarding why Pete is doing it... I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing along with a click track until he get the tempo down that Dexter - I mean the Offspring - are used to. Also, like someone said, some of the songs probably use samples and backing tracks, so those songs have to be counted into.

Also, FWIW, I voted yes. I thought it was annoying in TKAA, All I Want, and Self Esteem.

Rutegard
06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
First of all, there's a good chance that they've always counted in on a lot of the songs, but it's just that Ron either did it verbally or just with drumsticks, so it was never audible to the crowd/on the recording. I don't think this is true for songs like All I Want, TKAA, Self Esteem, etc... that obviously used to start with vox or a guitar part, but I'd be willing to bet the count in was there for a lot of songs. I could be wrong about this, though.

But regarding why Pete is doing it... I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing along with a click track until he get the tempo down that Dexter - I mean the Offspring - are used to. Also, like someone said, some of the songs probably use samples and backing tracks, so those songs have to be counted into.

Also, FWIW, I voted yes. I thought it was annoying in TKAA, All I Want, and Self Esteem.

exactly my point