PDA

View Full Version : Anyone NOT like RFRG

OffspringHead
06-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Personally, i think it was terrible. The first two tracks (Half-Truism and Trust in You) We're so fucking good. It made me enthusiastic to listen to the rest of the album and sit back and enjoy the album I've been waiting for. But the rest of the album was like a big acoustic, keyboard, sad song fiasco. It was terrible. They lack everything that makes anything remotely punk.

Idk about everyone else but this doesn't sound like The Offspring i know at all. Out of the 13 tracks maybe 3 of them sound like THE Offspring. I've been a fan of this band for SOOOO long unfortunately, I've yet to see them live. And for once in my life, i'm not enthusiastic to see them play after the release of this album at all. I might not even go. Chances are they'll play 90% of the new album and 4 or 5 songs which will end up being shit like pretty fly for a white guy.

I was sent this album from a friend so i got a 2 day preview of the album before alot of the United States. I don't wanna ruin it for the rest of you all but if you were looking for an album like Smash or Americana, don't get your hopes up.

A year from now, they'll be the Green Day of 2 years ago.

IamSam
06-15-2008, 06:06 PM
http://thewambulance.com/images/wambulance_logo.jpg

If you possibly skimmed the other threads, you'll find that roughly 7% of people who listened to the album hated it. You're in the minority.

And the album is roughly like Americana: Pop-punk made with the interests of the fans in mind. Well...appreciable fans...not fans who want every song to sound almost exactly the same.

OffspringHead
06-15-2008, 06:07 PM
http://thewambulance.com/images/wambulance_logo.jpg

If you possibly skimmed the other threads, you'll find that roughly 7% of people who listened to the album hated it. You're in the minority.
I know a lot of people liked it that's why i named the thread anyone "NOT" like it.

And the album is roughly like Americana: Pop-punk made with the interests of the fans in mind. Well...appreciable fans...not fans who want every song to sound almost exactly the same.
Ok well if you want to compare the Offspring to Coldplay go right ahead. The fact is every Offspring album had an Offspring sound to it and this one didn't.

drex878
06-15-2008, 06:12 PM
I hereby grant you with....
http://gritsngrace.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/biggest_whiner_statue_1.jpg
Congrats!!!

shanna_guarana
06-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Congrats!!!

you're such a jerk to him.....

IamSam
06-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I know a lot of people liked it that's why i named the thread anyone "NOT" like it.

And as I stated before, look through the forums. If you did that, you would have found other threads like yours and *GASP* a sticky at the top of the page to post your review! Novel concept!

I will destroy you now so that no one else has to deal with your ridiculousness.

Personally, i think it was terrible. The first two tracks (Half-Truism and Trust in You) We're so fucking good. It made me enthusiastic to listen to the rest of the album and sit back and enjoy the album I've been waiting for. But the rest of the album was like a big acoustic, keyboard, sad song fiasco. It was terrible. They lack everything that makes anything remotely punk.

1. The rest of the album wasn't "a big acoustic, keyboard, sad song fiasco." ONE song was acoustic, TWO had piano, (one of which is pretty dang good), and the rest had varying degrees of 'Offspringyness.'

2. Refer to my sig.

3. It's The Offspring, so to say that it doesn't sound like them is like saying that it's not Hitler if he's not killing Jews. (Apologies if I offended anyone) The band has done songs like "Why Don't You Get a Job" and "Session." If you listened to both songs it isn't obvious that it is the same band, so why should that matter all of a sudden.

4. "Sad Song Fiasco" makes me laugh. You could make an argument that Americana was a 'sad song fiasco.' Have You Ever could be pining away feelings, (don't forget about the song of the same name), TKAA is bemoaning an old hometown, End of the Line is about death, She's Got Issues is crying about a girl with...issues, and Americana is complaining about American society.

5. The album deals with important issues ranging from American society, personal issues (one of the songs you like, 'Trust In You,' is personal), rape/molestation, to a school shooting. How is this a 'sad song fiasco?'

OffspringHead
06-15-2008, 06:34 PM
And as I stated before, look through the forums. If you did that, you would have found other threads like yours and *GASP* a sticky at the top of the page to post your review! Novel concept!

I will destroy you now so that no one else has to deal with your ridiculousness.

1. The rest of the album wasn't "a big acoustic, keyboard, sad song fiasco." ONE song was acoustic, TWO had piano, (one of which is pretty dang good), and the rest had varying degrees of 'Offspringyness.'

2. Refer to my sig.

3. It's The Offspring, so to say that it doesn't sound like them is like saying that it's not Hitler if he's not killing Jews. (Apologies if I offended anyone) The band has done songs like "Why Don't You Get a Job" and "Session." If you listened to both songs it isn't obvious that it is the same band, so why should that matter all of a sudden.

4. "Sad Song Fiasco" makes me laugh. You could make an argument that Americana was a 'sad song fiasco.' Have You Ever could be pining away feelings, (don't forget about the song of the same name), TKAA is bemoaning an old hometown, End of the Line is about death, She's Got Issues is crying about a girl with...issues, and Americana is complaining about American society.

5. The album deals with important issues ranging from American society, personal issues (one of the songs you like, 'Trust In You,' is personal), rape/molestation, to a school shooting. How is this a 'sad song fiasco?'
I just think it was a depressing album in more ways than one. The Offspring has had a very poppy career at some points but I'm not talking about songs I'm talking about ALBUMS.

The Offspring's new album is more poppy than any of their other albums. Conspiracy had Original Prankster, Damnit I Changed Again, and Denial Revisited as their poppy ballads. That is 23% of the entire album that was pop and the rest was straight up kick ass Offspring. More than half of this album are nothing but pop ballads. And I could give a fuck if they came out with 3 or 4 songs that sounded like the Backstreet Boys for the people who enjoy that shit. And hell, you could even make those the biggest songs since Stairway to Heaven but at least make the rest of the Album straight up fucking Offspring like Conspiracy did. And Splinter was also very similar to Conspiracy too. 33% of Splinter was very poppy.

I personally would fucking love for them to come out with an album like Smash or Ignition but I also loved every album they came out with after those and why? Cause they had the poppy Offspring and some old school Offspring. And this album lacked just that.

jacknife737
06-15-2008, 06:35 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/jacknife737/dawson-crying.jpg 10 characters

Autonomist
06-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Holy fucking god OffspringHead is stupid. Really think I should stay clear of this one.

OffspringHead
06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Ok. You all are putting crybaby bullshit up to this thread. And tell me why you LIKE the album. What made you say "Wow this is a really good Offspring album" Cause if you listen to Ignition, Their Self-titled, and Smash all the way through a lot, then idk how you can post these dumb crybaby posts.

Or do just listen to the Kids Aren't Alright and call it a day? If that's true then I can see why you love this album.

mat.kc.
06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Joke topic, joke topic poster, and obviously a fucking tool who doesn't know shit. fuck off.

IamSam
06-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I just think it was a depressing album in more ways than one. The Offspring has had a very poppy career at some points but I'm not talking about songs I'm talking about ALBUMS.

The Offspring's new album is more poppy than any of their other albums. Conspiracy had Original Prankster, Damnit I Changed Again, and Denial Revisited as their poppy ballads. That is 23% of the entire album that was pop and the rest was straight up kick ass Offspring. More than half of this album are nothing but pop ballads. And I could give a fuck if they came out with 3 or 4 songs that sounded like the Backstreet Boys for the people who enjoy that shit. And hell, you could even make those the biggest songs since Stairway to Heaven but at least make the rest of the Album straight up fucking Offspring like Conspiracy did. And Splinter was also very similar to Conspiracy too. 33% of Splinter was very poppy.

I personally would fucking love for them to come out with an album like Smash or Ignition but I also loved every album they came out with after those and why? Cause they had the poppy Offspring and some old school Offspring. And this album lacked just that.

Soooo...basically you're saying you wanted it to be like Americana...which was...42% poppy?

Or Smash...which is considered Pop-punk by many...having massive sales and thereby being popular music?

Your argument is full of holes young padawan.

IamSam
06-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Ok. You all are putting crybaby bullshit up to this thread. And tell me why you LIKE the album. What made you say "Wow this is a really good Offspring album" Cause if you listen to Ignition, Their Self-titled, and Smash all the way through a lot, then idk how you can post these dumb crybaby posts.

Or do just listen to the Kids Aren't Alright and call it a day? If that's true then I can see why you love this album.

We have already all said why we LIKE the album. As stated TWICE before, look at some other threads.

On another note, you continue to bash the album that you said you had hoped RAFRAG would be like, Americana. Makes me laugh.

OffspringHead
06-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Soooo...basically you're saying you wanted it to be like Americana...which was...42% poppy?

Or Smash...which is considered Pop-punk by many...having massive sales and thereby being popular music?

Your argument is full of holes young padawan.
Pretty much. Like i said, i don't give a fucking shit about their poppy material and I don't care how big they get cause they're still my favorite band. But, when i come up to a poppy song on an Offspring album I just ignore it and move onto a song that isn't poppy. My Point is that i CAN'T do that on RFRG and it's disappointing.

And I'm pretty sure that my point is pretty clear.

OffspringHead
06-15-2008, 06:48 PM
We have already all said why we LIKE the album. As stated TWICE before, look at some other threads.

On another note, you continue to bash the album that you said you had hoped RAFRAG would be like, Americana. Makes me laugh.
Idk what you're talking about cause I never mentioned Americana because it was a pretty poppy album. I talked about Conspiracy of One and Splinter.

IamSam
06-15-2008, 06:50 PM
I was sent this album from a friend so i got a 2 day preview of the album before alot of the United States. I don't wanna ruin it for the rest of you all but if you were looking for an album like Smash or Americana, don't get your hopes up.

Right here. You said it right here.

You want to try this again or do you need to stop, take some time to think, and figure out what's important to you?

jacknife737
06-15-2008, 06:53 PM
You want to try this again or do you need to stop, take some time to think, and figure out what's important to you?

Against Me! FTW!

And lawlz at calling him on mentioning Americana.

OffspringHead
06-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Right here. You said it right here.
I missed that.

What do you mean?

IamSam
06-15-2008, 07:00 PM
I missed that.

How the hell do you miss out on something you typed?

What do you mean?

I mean this: Do you want to try your argument over again, but this time form it more coherently and give examples?

Or, option B, do you want to wave your white flag of truce because you realize now that you are in over your head?

But choose wisely, for while you may think you have a good argument, it probably is poor and I will once again destroy it.

Against Me! FTW!

An opportunity was given to me and I seized it. Heck. Yes.

0r4ng3
06-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I personally like the album a lot (in fact, my iTunes has 23 plays for each song in the last week), but you all are being way too harsh towards OffspringHead. It's okay for someone to have a different opinion about one of your (and in this case their) favorite bands, and I totally see where his criticisms are coming from.

Sure this isn't the most positive of threads, but calling him an "idiot" and a "fucking tool" is a bit excessive.

drex878
06-15-2008, 07:07 PM

You gotta maaake a serious decisionnn.

Seriously though Offspringhead, you gotta stop. Offspring have actually had Pop songs staring way back on Ignition. And RAFRAG in no way is comparable to Backstreet Boys, or Coldplay. It's useless to say that this doesn't sound like The Offspring, that's one of the stupidest things I've heard.

In conclusion...
http://www.usask.ca/communications/ocn/06-july-07/images/sad_face.jpg

WebDudette
06-15-2008, 07:08 PM
I didn't like it because I thought it sounded like The Offspring.

killboybowerhead
06-15-2008, 07:15 PM
I missed that.

What do you mean?

Not that what im going to say has anything to do with the quote but give the album some more time. A lot of people need time to adjust to change and surprises youre probably one of them. I definitely was the same way about the album but i waited to voice my opinion and my favorite song went from half truism to fix you.
Go see them live too... that may help you appreciate the band and the album more. I despise american idiot, but i saw green day three times when they were supporting that album. Some shows where they played the whole thing through and I still had a good time. Point is when you really like a band youll find a way to still like them even if they put out something you think is so terrible. But in this case id still have to disagree with you.. this album is bad ass.

OffspringHead
06-15-2008, 08:38 PM
All i have to say is that the new album was too poppy for my liking.

I don't mind the poppiness on ANY album that i listen to by any band as long as there are some of the qualities of what got them to that position as a band. My examples to this was Conspiracy of One and Splinter. There are a few pop songs on there that i completely hated but i loved EVERY song off of those albums but the ones that were poppy.

RFRG did not meet my requirements to an Offspring album because it was a lot more poppier than anything they've ever released.

I still to this day can listen to Ignition and Smash completely through and not get bored. Some people will disagree and some can agree. But RFRG was A LOT poppier than anything they've released before and I can probably get a lot of people to agree with me there.

Maybe you all like the majority of poppiness off of RGRG but I didn't. I think there should of been some more Offspring such as I Choose, Mota, Meaning of Life, One Fine Day, All Along, Come out Swinging etc. on this album.

Every Offspring album has had it's poppy sensation that has made it to the radio and the Ipods of every human on earth but with those songs came other songs on that album that never got big in the mainstream world. THOSE WERE THE KIND OF SONGS I WAS LOOKING FOR!

Maybe that helps everyone see my point.

Cock Joke
06-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Holy shit, dude! How frikkin dare they change their sound!? Who would do that? Keeping their songs interesting and fun to listen to instead of the same exact thing as always! Are they outta their minds!?

http://mcnutt.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/crying_child.jpg

OffspringHead
06-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Holy shit, dude! How frikkin dare they change their sound!? Who would do that? Keeping their songs interesting and fun to listen to instead of the same exact thing as always! Are they outta their minds!?

Ok don't be an ignorant asshole and read my post above yours.

killboybowerhead
06-15-2008, 09:01 PM

I don't mind the poppiness on ANY album that i listen to by any band as long as there are some of the qualities of what got them to that position as a band. My examples to this was Conspiracy of One and Splinter. There are a few pop songs on there that i completely hated but i loved EVERY song off of those albums but the ones that were poppy.

RFRG did not meet my requirements to an Offspring album because it was a lot more poppier than anything they've ever released.

I still to this day can listen to Ignition and Smash completely through and not get bored. Some people will disagree and some can agree. But RFRG was A LOT poppier than anything they've released before and I can probably get a lot of people to agree with me there.

Maybe you all like the majority of poppiness off of RGRG but I didn't. I think there should of been some more Offspring such as I Choose, Mota, Meaning of Life, One Fine Day, All Along, Come out Swinging etc. on this album.

Every Offspring album has had it's poppy sensation that has made it to the radio and the Ipods of every human on earth but with those songs came other songs on that album that never got big in the mainstream world. THOSE WERE THE KIND OF SONGS I WAS LOOKING FOR!

shit dude how long have you had the album 2 days? why dont you just give it some more time. You just dont seem to like change/being surprised. The songs are damn good they're just a bit different. I mean shit its been 5 years and like 16 yrs since smash/ignition. just be happy that theyre still around. half truism, hammerhead, trust in you, youre gonna go far kid, stuff is messed up isn't enough for you? All of those songs are arguable way better or just as good as anything off of splinter.

IamSam
06-15-2008, 09:15 PM

Holland is proud that the song "said something that people connected with and it was something other people weren't singing about." But he bristles at the mention of the "sellout" label that came with all the radio hits.

"Who decides what is and what isn't punk? I want to write songs that people hear and feel and I want to be successful and reach a big audience," he says. "I'm not trying to be the coolest guy in the world, I'm trying to write songs that mean something to people. As you get successful, sometimes you lose one set of fans and gain another."

Now, when Holland talks to members of Pennywise and NOFX, the spirit is about surviving, not competition. "Everybody sort of settled into the place they wanted to be. NOFX realized they didn't want to be on the radio. It's very cool and comfortable. . . . Lord knows we've done better than we probably should have. Selling another 10 million albums is not a priority. Putting out something you're proud of is."

Dexter FTW.

Thomas
06-15-2008, 09:24 PM
pop = popular, not bad. Come Out and Play, All i Want, Hammerhead, etc. are all pop songs, by definition, because they were popular.

Don't listen to the album expecting a punk album. Listen to it expecting a musically well written and executed album. Who cares if they are punk or not? I personally don't consider them punk, and I'm sure it makes me appreciate them even more as a result because I don't get angry if they choose not to stick to one specific genre, style, stucture, or formula.

Just because it's punk, it doesn't mean it's good. Actually, from my experience, most punk music is godawful and impossible to listen to.

TNA
06-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I am seriously so sick of hearing all the uber fanboys go crazy if someone for some reason has a different opinion than them, and don't think that RFRG is the best offspring album. I looked through the review thread and if someone posted a low scoring review you all just basically said he shouldn't even be allowed to have an opinion. And on the rank the albums thread most people had RFRG in the top three. Now you are doing the same thing to this guy, all he had said was he didn't like the album, he didn't insult anyone who did like it. I know I am pretty excited for the new album also, but I would say it is far from their best, and think most of the people need to give it a good an honest review, not just a OMG OFFSPRING ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD 11/10 review.

bighead384
06-15-2008, 11:29 PM

This makes perfect sense, and you revised what you were saying to make a solid, respectable point. But unfortunately, this will go largely ignored by IamSam, whose too busy kissing ass and giving himself a pat on the back for being what he thinks is "open minded". IamSam, there's a difference between simply prefering a less poppy sound and being tru punx. You're so anxious to score points by calling people out on this that you don't even realize that you're being a fucking idiot and ignoring what's actually being said.

"I prefer a less poppy sound" does not = "The Offspring should have made a more punk record for me because I am punk".

Some of you people don't know what the hell you're talking about. You think you know, but you don't. You don't have a clue.

bighead384
06-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I personally like the album a lot (in fact, my iTunes has 23 plays for each song in the last week), but you all are being way too harsh towards OffspringHead. It's okay for someone to have a different opinion about one of your (and in this case their) favorite bands, and I totally see where his criticisms are coming from.

Sure this isn't the most positive of threads, but calling him an "idiot" and a "fucking tool" is a bit excessive.

Props, yo.

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
06-16-2008, 12:17 AM
This makes perfect sense, and you revised what you were saying to make a solid, respectable point. But unfortunately, this will go largely ignored by IamSam, whose too busy kissing ass and giving himself a pat on the back for being what he thinks is "open minded". IamSam, there's a difference between simply prefering a less poppy sound and being tru punx. You're so anxious to score points by calling people out on this that you don't even realize that you're being a fucking idiot and ignoring what's actually being said.

"I prefer a less poppy sound" does not = "The Offspring should have made a more punk record for me because I am punk".

Some of you people don't know what the hell you're talking about. You think you know, but you don't. You don't have a clue.

You are right. Everyone can say what they want, and he didn't insult anyone. I know exactly what he means, I think the same. To all the asskissers-> burn

bighead384
06-16-2008, 12:47 AM
I was hoping The Offspring did a blues album. And if you disagree, it's because you're a closed-minded tru punx.

leib10
06-16-2008, 12:59 AM

Idk about everyone else but this doesn't sound like The Offspring i know at all. Out of the 13 tracks maybe 3 of them sound like THE Offspring. I've been a fan of this band for SOOOO long unfortunately, I've yet to see them live. And for once in my life, i'm not enthusiastic to see them play after the release of this album at all. I might not even go. Chances are they'll play 90% of the new album and 4 or 5 songs which will end up being shit like pretty fly for a white guy.

A year from now, they'll be the Green Day of 2 years ago.

This.

I've been an Offspring fan for many years (more than a decade, now that I think about it), and I've always found that I could relate to their music and their lyrics. I learned 90% of their songs on guitar, I own the Noodles signature guitar, etc. You get the point. I was into them heavy.

Was being the operative word. Until I heard RAFRAG.

The album started off so well with Half-Truism and Trust In You. I figured that this was a good sign, and pressed on. As the songs fell away, I became more and more discouraged, and after a brief rise at Things Are Messed Up, it descended into Fix You, which evoked similarity to Hey There Delilah, a song I detest. I scanned through Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom and Rise and Fall, and then realized that that was the end of the album.

It just lacked direction and clarity. The music ranged from being awesome, hard and fast like the old Offspring we known (Half-Truism, Trust In You) to poppy, soft-rock sobsongs like Fix You and Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?. The lyrics are confused and too abstract for my taste, except for Things Are Messed Up, which was awesome. It was in my opinion the most mediocre and inconsistent album they have ever released, and I can't believe they made us wait almost 5 years for it. I am thoroughly disappointed, and probably won't even buy the album. Before I heard it, I really wanted to see them in concert. After this, I'm not so sure any more, as they will likely be focusing on their new songs.

Therefore, I rank it as the worst Offspring album ever.

My two cents.

Marco
06-16-2008, 01:33 AM
It just lacked direction and clarity. The music ranged from being awesome, hard and fast like the old Offspring we known (Half-Truism, Trust In You) to poppy, soft-rock sobsongs like Fix You and Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?. The lyrics are confused and too abstract for my taste, except for Things Are Messed Up, which was awesome. It was in my opinion the most mediocre and inconsistent album they have ever released, and I can't believe they made us wait almost 5 years for it. I am thoroughly disappointed, and probably won't even buy the album. Before I heard it, I really wanted to see them in concert. After this, I'm not so sure any more, as they will likely be focusing on their new songs.

My two cents.
So...for you music isn't awesome just because it isn't hard and fast?

Mediocre and inconsistent album??? Are you fucking nuts?

And the best one: at their last shows they played only 2 or 3 new songs. In Paris they included BEHEADED and SESSION and you're not so sure of going to see them???

Selfesteem_
06-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Congrats!!!

Good to see someone out there is as pissed off about all the whining and bitching as me!!

leib10
06-16-2008, 02:26 AM
So...for you music isn't awesome just because it isn't hard and fast?

Mediocre and inconsistent album??? Are you fucking nuts?

And the best one: at their last shows they played only 2 or 3 new songs. In Paris they included BEHEADED and SESSION and you're not so sure of going to see them???

Not necessarily. Dirty Magic is one of my favorite songs and it was neither hard or fast. But nothing on the album came close to capturing anything near what that song did for me.

No, I'm not fucking nuts. I'm disappointed.

And that's great, but did it occur to you that they didn't want to spoil the whole album before it came out?

And it's "whining and bitching" because you don't agree with it. You may find the album one of their greatest if not the greatest, and that's fine. You are entitled to your own opinion, and I respect that. But the album was not what I was looking for from them, and in that respect I'm disappointed.

F@ BANKZ
06-16-2008, 02:38 AM
I never thought it would but Rise and Fall has topped every album before it in my eyes. This is mostly thanks to their new sound, but even the old sound has improved; listen to Trust In You and Takes Me Nowhere. I also don't think they have changed too drastically too suddenly because of the mix of song styles.

You're entitled to your opinion, but your main problem with the album seems to be simply that it isn't "punk". The Offspring haven't been truly a punk band since Smash- the songs that are heavy in this album are as much so as in any other album.

You say there are 3 songs that sound like THE Offspring, personally, I think there are only 3 that sound completely of a new genre, namely Fix You, Kristy and A Lot Like Me. Other songs such as You're Gonna Go Far have new elements added into them but the Offspring sound is still there.

I don't intend to sound patronising, but try listening to the album once again with a more open mind. The last three albums sounded very similar and this one has more courage, more effort, more variety than any of those.

leib10
06-16-2008, 03:18 AM
Granted, I've only listened to it a few times, but I'm going to have to give it another shot. Because don't get me wrong, I really want to like this album, but it's been so long since I've heard any new material from them and I've been listening to other bands in the meantime, so maybe it's my taste that's changed, and maybe their new sound really isn't my cup of tea.

Things Are Messed Up was the thing that I found I identified with the most, as it had a strongly What Happened To You? vibe to me. Half-Truism and Trust In You are good songs, and Hammerhead is as well, but the softer songs are not something that I like from any band, especially since I've been getting into some harder stuff.

You're right in that the album has a lot more variety than any previous album. It is clearly an experimental album, and shows that they are considering branching out from the Offspring that they used to be. Whether it's a good thing or not is up to debate. To me, it's not. I personally like the Offspring sound for what it was, and wouldn't haved minded if it had stayed that way. I commend them for exploring new horizons, but to me it's just not what I wanted to hear.

Manic Subsida
06-16-2008, 04:14 AM
Okey. If The Offspring made a new Ignition or Smash, someone is gonna whine about that they can't make anything new. If The Offspring made a new, but Offspring-soundish album, like RAFRAG, someone is gonna whine about that they just want another Ignition or Smash.

So, it's not simple, huh? Not every freakin' Offspring fans could be 100% positive about an exact album. But most of us, are really happy about RAFRAG. Most of us are gonna like it, and some of us don't.

I think RAFRAG is a great album. It's their most diverse album ever, but still keeping Offspring-style over it. Yeah, I could like a more HARDER and punker album, but I still think it's great. Some pop punk tracks, some punk rock traks, some soft and slow tracks, but most of it: fast and good.

Be happy about the album, or just forget it. If you wanna whine, go to the whiney thread. The Offspring are making songs that they want to, and that's good.

Count Orlok
06-16-2008, 05:17 AM
I think RAFRAG is a great album. It's their most diverse album ever, but still keeping Offspring-style over it. Yeah, I could like a more HARDER and punker album, but I still think it's great. Some pop punk tracks, some punk rock traks, some soft and slow tracks, but most of it: fast and good.

Youīre damn right!
Itīs a very diverse yet Offspring sounding album,i think itīs great.
And,besides,i donīt think that Americana is less "poppy" than RAFRAG.

Drums beating in my Heart
06-16-2008, 05:55 AM
I already said this:
IF you don't like it DON'T LISSEN TO IT!!!

also: everybody has is own taste of music, so RESPECT EACH OTHER!!!

Budzy
06-16-2008, 06:07 AM
love the album.
but Fix you: i would hapily fix you. only song i dont like.
i like the offspring slows songs like alot like me, gone away, amazed, but fix you is too slow for me. snow patrol do it better.
sry offspring.
if i sacrifice one of my mates to you will u forgive me?

that is all.

:D

i_am_the_bishop
06-16-2008, 06:11 AM
well i'm just listening to the album for the very first time now (decided to wait til it was released here) and "hideous, boring, whiney load of w*nk" was the first phrase that sprang to mind.

i can't understand why people always want a band to change their sound. you like a band because of the way they sound, they change the way they sound, you don't like them anymore. that's why i'd like a new "old-offspring" album. that and the fact that i love punk and hate this awful emo rubbish that's being shoved down our throats recently.

borcloud
06-16-2008, 06:16 AM
"Personally, i think it was terrible. The first two tracks (Half-Truism and Trust in You) We're so fucking good." Yes, you're right

The Search Button
06-16-2008, 06:20 AM
"Personally, i think it was terrible. The first two tracks (Half-Truism and Trust in You) We're so fucking good." Yes, you're right

Well, atleast this terrible album has two fucking good tracks on it.

Not bad in the current music panorama.

Lupin
06-16-2008, 06:22 AM
"hideous, boring, whiney load of w*nk" was the first phrase that sprang to mind.

hahaha!!!!! this has made my day!!

I've tried to do the whole album, but i just break down after Takes Me Nowhere.
________
J platform (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_J_platform)

Great Mike
06-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Woah woah... what a bunch of crybabyes and fanboys! He's just said he doesn't like the album (even reasoning it) and you all start to overreact like a kid whom his hero is insulted.

Grow up a pair of balls or simply grow up.

Rooster
06-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Okey. If The Offspring made a new Ignition or Smash, someone is gonna whine about that they can't make anything new. If The Offspring made a new, but Offspring-soundish album, like RAFRAG, someone is gonna whine about that they just want another Ignition or Smash.

That's exactly what i was thinking about. I think i have written something like that in one other thread (i'm not shure which one)...

But that means that no matter what a band do, there will always be someone complaining about their work, one way or another. Someone will always compare their songs with the songs of another band, but i think that the music has come to the point where there is simply nothing new to invent. Ramones could invent something new, because there were maybe 2 or 3 other bands, who played similar music style as them back then. Now we have so many punk-rock bands that it should be clear to everyone that some bands will sound pretty much the same.

On the other hand, bands evolve, their sound change, and some people like that while others don't. Manic Subsida has written well about that (quote at the beginning). We can do nothing about it.

I ask you now, if you had your own band, what would you do? Would you play what you want? Would you sign with a major label (for all those complaining about them being a sellout band) and play what you want + earn some money for it, or would you rather live in poverty and therefore could not even afford to buy or repair your instruments if they were broken? I don't know a single person who would burn even a 100$ bill if it was given to him. That sellout thing is the most ridiculous way to describe a succesfull artist (well, except maybe for Shitney Spears and the other biatches)

I respect everyone's opinion, some of you like the album and someone don't. I have written this so that those who only whine about the album (like "oh, that album is like a cow's turd" or "pure craaap, not even punk, these songs are lullabies") and not say why they don't like the album in a more constructive way (like some posts in this thread, where users actually explained more about why they don't like the album) could read this and think about all their whining, cause it's taking too much space on this forum. I like that someone writes their honest and constructive opinion, but i dont like whining.

Thanks for reading, i know it's too long. If we meet some day, i'll buy you a beer:D

Manic Subsida
06-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Well written, Raptor88. :)

Thanks for reading, i know it's too long. If we meet some day, i'll buy you a beer:D
Haha, I'll remember that one. ^^

Rooster
06-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Well written, Raptor88. :)

Haha, I'll remember that one. ^^

Who knows, it might happen one day, and we'll get drunk till we won't be able to piss straight :D

Manic Subsida
06-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Who knows, it might happen one day, and we'll get drunk till we won't be able to piss straight :D

Ahah, one day, one day... ^^

Rooster
06-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Ahah, one day, one day... ^^

Believe me, we would be drunk like two camels by now if i lived in Norway (unfortunately i'm from Slovenia)

Anyway, back to the topic. It might be a good idea if one of the moderators could make this thread a sticky one, so that those who want to complain about the album would not make another 100 threads about the same thing? Ayone agree?

nieh
06-16-2008, 07:56 AM
If you don't like the album, fine, but I don't understand how one can say this has more pop than any of their previous albums.

malibu43
06-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I am seriously so sick of hearing all the uber fanboys go crazy if someone for some reason has a different opinion than them, and don't think that RFRG is the best offspring album. I looked through the review thread and if someone posted a low scoring review you all just basically said he shouldn't even be allowed to have an opinion. And on the rank the albums thread most people had RFRG in the top three. Now you are doing the same thing to this guy, all he had said was he didn't like the album, he didn't insult anyone who did like it. I know I am pretty excited for the new album also, but I would say it is far from their best, and think most of the people need to give it a good an honest review, not just a OMG OFFSPRING ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD 11/10 review.

Seriously... what he said.

And as for my opinion, I think that the first 4 songs rock, and the rest of the album is very mediocre. Replace the 3 slow songs with something a little better, and I would call it a really good album.

And I don't say replace the 3 slow songs because "they are poppy" or because "they don't sound like Smash" or because "that's not punk and I'm punk as fuck". I say replace those songs because I just don't think they are good songs. I like slow acoustic stuff and piano driven ballads just as much as the next guy, but I don't think the Offspring wrote and recorded 3 good ones here. If Dexter would have written and recorded three awesome pop ballads, I would have been fine with that. But like I said, I just don't think Offspring is able to pull it off the way they intended.

My 2 cents.

Thomas
06-16-2008, 08:21 AM
I agree with Nieh. I really don't care if you like the album or not. I know it's going to be a successful one no matter what. It's that whole pop vs. punk issue that gets me. From a MUSICAL standpoint, it's one of the best, if not THE best, they've ever written. The same may not be true from a "tru punx" standpoint, however. Think of it this way. You don't listen to, say, Led Zeppelin and say it's bad because it isn't punk because, quite frankly, they are not a punk band. (If you think it's bad for other reasons, we'll discuss that later). The same goes for The Offspring. They aren't really a true punk band and haven't been for many years, so you can't expect them to all of a sudden release a completely heavy, fast album, especially with them getting into their mid-40's, because that would be lame.

I've been in a band that evolved from a very pop-punk sounding band to a psuedo-funk/rock band in less than a year without us even really thinking about it. We just played what we liked to play and didn't bore ourselves by playing the same stuff over and over again. Quite frankly, our music got pretty damn good by the end there, especially considering what we USED to sound like, and that is most likely a product of experimentation, which is EXACTLY what The Offspring are doing here, except in a much larger scale.

I guess my main point here is that if a band releases the same stuff over and over again, not only will it bore the fans (and the radio), but it will bore themselves as a band. Therefore, since they aren't a true punk band anymore, you can't expect a true punk album from them anymore because that simply isn't the genre they are in anymore. Listen to it with not neccesarily more open ears, but with ears that realize they are NOT a punk band, and I'm sure you'll like it at least a bit more. If not, then that's fine. Don't just shut the album down because it isn't "punk" enough for you.

And as for my opinion, I think that the first 4 songs rock, and the rest of the album is very mediocre. Replace the 3 slow songs with something a little better, and I would call it a really good album.

And I don't say replace the 3 slow songs because "they are poppy" or because "they don't sound like Smash" or because "that's not punk and I'm punk as fuck". I say replace those songs because I just don't think they are good songs. I like slow acoustic stuff and piano driven ballads just as much as the next guy, but I don't think the Offspring wrote and recorded 3 good ones here. If Dexter would have written and recorded three awesome pop ballads, I would have been fine with that. But like I said, I just don't think Offspring is able to pull it off the way they intended.

My 2 cents.

Exactly. Personally, I disagree, but I can live with it because you didn't dislike them because they weren't punk, but rather you didn't think they were well written.

IamSam
06-16-2008, 08:39 AM

Ha. You make me giggle.

You can have your opinion, but at least support it correctly. The reason I went after the thread starter was because he did not support his argument very well and made gross exaggerations.

Now, if you are done being a douche, bighead, I'll let you know that you've done a good job supporting your argument. Malibu43 also did a great job of explaining his opinion.

Also, I am not a 'fanboy going crazy.' I am an individual who hates 2 things.

1. Tru punxs think that this album sucks and is whiny and wanted another Ignition.

2. People who can't form a logical argument as to why they dislike the album.

Raptor88 put it really well. And Thomas has done a brilliant job of describing part one of my 'hates.'

Manic Subsida
06-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Believe me, we would be drunk like two camels by now if i lived in Norway (unfortunately i'm from Slovenia)
Hehah. Well. Just so you know (a bit off-topic), I'm gonna create a new acc now. Cya.

Little_Miss_1565
06-16-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm sorry they couldn't time warp back to 1989 just to please the incredibly stringent and unflexible views you have of bands, that they should pick one style and stick to it unwaveringly for however long their career may last, as you've established in previous threads.

I'm not the least bit surprised that you didn't like the record. I'm also, unfortunately, not the least bit surprised that you chose to be so incredibly unrealistic and unoriginal with your views, which certainly did not necessitate making a new thread considering nothing you've said hasn't been said 1,000 times over in the last week.

And seriously, can someone please explain to me how the album can be "too poppy" when there is metal guitar and all kinds of crazy heavy shit all over it?

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry they couldn't time warp back to 1989 just to please the incredibly stringent and unflexible views you have of bands, that they should pick one style and stick to it unwaveringly for however long their career may last, as you've established in previous threads.

I'm not the least bit surprised that you didn't like the record. I'm also, unfortunately, not the least bit surprised that you chose to be so incredibly unrealistic and unoriginal with your views, which certainly did not necessitate making a new thread considering nothing you've said hasn't been said 1,000 times over in the last week.

And seriously, can someone please explain to me how the album can be "too poppy" when there is metal guitar and all kinds of crazy heavy shit all over it?

i quote you on this one!!

and yeah...hw can someone say that it is a pop album?? my sister does but she does not get a THING bout music and neither bout offspring...so her opinion does not count at all!!

i don't really know....seriously...if we were talking bout americana....conspiracy....but this one?

where is the pop? point me out!! where?

well i don't care if yu call it pop or if it REALLY has pop...that's not gonna change a bit what i feel towards this album...i just find it really unfair saying it has pop when it has not

brad_logan
06-16-2008, 09:32 AM
there is metal guitar and all kinds of crazy heavy shit all over it?

we are talking about Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, not the next metallica cd?

i dont hear any of that.

--

half truism,
hammerhead
trust in you

good

the rest for me ranges from alright to mediocore to poor

dff_punk
06-16-2008, 09:35 AM
And for once in my life, i'm not enthusiastic to see them play after the release of this album at all. I might not even go.

I wants your tickets!!! :p

Rutegard
06-16-2008, 09:39 AM
I wants your tickets!!! :p

i can't wait for them to start touring this album :D:D

bighead384
06-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Ha. You make me giggle.

You can have your opinion, but at least support it correctly. The reason I went after the thread starter was because he did not support his argument very well and made gross exaggerations.

Now, if you are done being a douche, bighead, I'll let you know that you've done a good job supporting your argument. Malibu43 also did a great job of explaining his opinion.

Also, I am not a 'fanboy going crazy.' I am an individual who hates 2 things.

1. Tru punxs think that this album sucks and is whiny and wanted another Ignition.

2. People who can't form a logical argument as to why they dislike the album.

Raptor88 put it really well. And Thomas has done a brilliant job of describing part one of my 'hates.'

You're an idiot. OffspringHead revised his argument into something that no one should have a problem with it. But since you're so anxious to be the big guy of the situation, you quoted it, and followed it up with an irrelevant quote from Dexter, as if you had a superior view.

bighead384
06-16-2008, 10:40 AM

I know where you're coming from to some extent but...you're talking about what's been established? The only thing that's been established is that if you say you don't like the new album, people mindlessly accuse you of being tru punx, irregardless of what you actually said. Now I understand that OffspringHead was a little careless with his word choice in the original post, but he revised it and explained it quite well in my opinion. Still, people wanna give themselves the pat on the back for being "open-minded" about the kind of music that The Offspring makes now, but they'll never understand that there is NOTHING inherently wrong with preferring that The Offspring make records with more of a punk sound.

BuckyO'Hare
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
i can't understand why people always want a band to change their sound. you like a band because of the way they sound, they change the way they sound, you don't like them anymore. that's why i'd like a new "old-offspring" album.

Amen. If I wanted to listen to some other kind of music, I'd listen to some other band.

And I don't think it's a bad album.

Give the guy a break. Though I don't see the point of expressing your opinion if this is what you get.

Superdope
06-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree with Nieh. I really don't care if you like the album or not. I know it's going to be a successful one no matter what. It's that whole pop vs. punk issue that gets me. From a MUSICAL standpoint, it's one of the best, if not THE best, they've ever written. The same may not be true from a "tru punx" standpoint, however. Think of it this way. You don't listen to, say, Led Zeppelin and say it's bad because it isn't punk because, quite frankly, they are not a punk band. (If you think it's bad for other reasons, we'll discuss that later). The same goes for The Offspring. They aren't really a true punk band and haven't been for many years, so you can't expect them to all of a sudden release a completely heavy, fast album, especially with them getting into their mid-40's, because that would be lame.

I've been in a band that evolved from a very pop-punk sounding band to a psuedo-funk/rock band in less than a year without us even really thinking about it. We just played what we liked to play and didn't bore ourselves by playing the same stuff over and over again. Quite frankly, our music got pretty damn good by the end there, especially considering what we USED to sound like, and that is most likely a product of experimentation, which is EXACTLY what The Offspring are doing here, except in a much larger scale.

I guess my main point here is that if a band releases the same stuff over and over again, not only will it bore the fans (and the radio), but it will bore themselves as a band. Therefore, since they aren't a true punk band anymore, you can't expect a true punk album from them anymore because that simply isn't the genre they are in anymore. Listen to it with not neccesarily more open ears, but with ears that realize they are NOT a punk band, and I'm sure you'll like it at least a bit more. If not, then that's fine. Don't just shut the album down because it isn't "punk" enough for you.

I quoted this, because everyone should read what Thomas posted.

IamSam
06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
But since you're so anxious to be the big guy of the situation, you quoted it, and followed it up with an irrelevant quote from Dexter, as if you had a superior view.

That's your perspective. I was merely providing something for him. Fans can be lost, and apparently he is one of them. That's all I was pointing out. I know he revised it and it was good once he actually put together a coherent thought.

Do we understand each other?

OffspringHead
06-16-2008, 12:09 PM
I already said this:

Wrong. A forum is for open discussion and debate.

The Search Button
06-16-2008, 12:13 PM

Kewl!

I like onions and you hate onions.

Let's discuss that onion-wise.

Little_Miss_1565
06-16-2008, 12:16 PM
I know where you're coming from to some extent but...you're talking about what's been established? The only thing that's been established is that if you say you don't like the new album, people mindlessly accuse you of being tru punx, irregardless of what you actually said. Now I understand that OffspringHead was a little careless with his word choice in the original post, but he revised it and explained it quite well in my opinion. Still, people wanna give themselves the pat on the back for being "open-minded" about the kind of music that The Offspring makes now, but they'll never understand that there is NOTHING inherently wrong with preferring that The Offspring make records with more of a punk sound.

I'm talking about bizarre opinions that the OP has propagated throughout this message board--that bands should stick to one sound, one type of song only and if they want to do anything else, they should do it as a side project under another name. How he has developed this narrow view of bands yet still remained an Offspring fan is beyond my comprehension. Additionally, just because he went back and revised his original post after several people pointed out the numerous flaws in his argument doesn't mean that those arguments against his are somehow rendered invalid.

There are general guidelines for decorum in a debate. This is shades of your supposed debates in the Politics forum where you basically pontificate one-sidedly on a subject and ignore the many valid counterarguments presented.

Kewl!

I like onions and you hate onions.

Let's discuss that onion-wise.

^ Like that. You seem to think this is debate. This is not debate.

IamSam
06-16-2008, 12:17 PM

Ok, I was going to leave you alone...but what does that have to do with this:

I already said this:

nieh
06-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Isn't this the closest thing they've done to 'old school' Offspring in a long time though? I'll give you that there's a couple generic could've been written by anyone pop songs on there (Kristy and Nothingtown specifically) but you're making it out like it's the entire album when it sounds to me like there's less pop tracks on this one than on either Splinter or Co1.

Rooster
06-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Ok, I was going to leave you alone...but what does that have to do with this:

Yeah, that's what i've been wondering, too.

dff_punk
06-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree most of people see the few "poppier" songs on the record and disregard the majority of fast, typical-offspring tracks.

P.S.: I love your sig, Raptor88:D

The Search Button
06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
^ Like that. You seem to think this is debate. This is not debate.

Exactly!

Bullseye!

Rooster
06-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I agree most of people see the few "poppier" songs on the record and disregard the majority of fast, typical-offspring tracks.

P.S.: I love your sig, Raptor88:D

So true. I mean, let's count those faster tracks: Half Truism, Trust In You, You're Gonna Go Far, Kid, Hammerhead, Takes Me Nowhere, Nothingtown, Stuff Is Messed Up, Rise and Fall (and maybe you can count Let's Hear It For The Rock Bottom in here, even though it's a middle tempo, but it has some good and heavy guitar work), so that means like 8 (or 9 if you count Let's hear it...) faster tracks opposed to 3 slow ones. Hating this album only because of 3 slow songs (but even whiners say that A Lot Like Me is a good song, so that means hating the album because of 2 songs) is like if you would buy a ford mustang and hate it, because it is named after a wild horse species and you hate horses.

And about my sig... I guess we watch the same humouristic series....you Father Jack Hewitt :D

Edit: Whoa, my 100th post and it's been only a week since i'm on this forum...

IamSam
06-16-2008, 01:15 PM
There are general guidelines for decorum in a debate. This is shades of your supposed debates in the Politics forum where you basically pontificate one-sidedly on a subject and ignore the many valid counterarguments presented.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/birchwl/thisisMODERATING.gif

I've always wanted to use this.

jacknife737
06-16-2008, 03:55 PM
You say there are 3 songs that sound like THE Offspring, personally, I think there are only 3 that sound completely of a new genre, namely Fix You, Kristy and A Lot Like Me. Other songs such as You're Gonna Go Far have new elements added into them but the Offspring sound is still there.

Exactly! I'll never understand those who claim that this doesn't sound like an Offspring album, when the vast majority of the tracks would fit very at home on any other Offspring release.

If you don't like the album, fine, but I don't understand how one can say this has more pop than any of their previous albums.

Isn't this the closest thing they've done to 'old school' Offspring in a long time though?

Look out, it's nieh with a double shot of truth! No one is saying that you have to like the album, that would be silly. But saying that RAFRAG has more of a pop influence then the bands previous work is just as silly. This is the band that has stuck on such tracks as Pretty Fly, Hit That, Spare Me the Details, Original Prankster, ect, ect.

Plus, this album does have some of the hardest stuff that the band has done in a long, long time. This is why i find some of these criticism so fucking mind-boggling. A lot of these criticisms (ie about not being punk enough) are eerily similar to the slurs thrown against the band when they released Ixnay, didn't Mr. Brett compare Gone Away to a Bon Jovi song? If you dislike RAFRAG, just stick on Ignition and stop complaining.

Rooster
06-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Exactly! I'll never understand those who claim that this doesn't sound like an Offspring album, when the vast majority of the tracks would fit very at home on any other Offspring release.

Look out, it's nieh with a double shot of truth! No one is saying that you have to like the album, that would be silly. But saying that RAFRAG has more of a pop influence then the bands previous work is just silly. This is the band that has stuck on such tracks as Pretty Fly, Hit That, Spare Me the Details, Original Prankster, ect, ect.

Plus, this album does have some of the hardest stuff that the band has done in a long, long time. This is why i find some of these criticism so fucking mind-boggling. A lot of these criticisms (ie about not being punk enough) are eerily similar to the slurs thrown against the band when they released Ixnay, didn't Mr. Brett compare Gone Away to a Bon Jovi song? If you dislike RAFRAG, just stick on Ignition and stop complaining.

Very true. Imagine what would happen in ten years (i hope that The Offspring will be on the scene at least as much or longer:p), when they would release another album. Everyone will be trashing that album and comparing it to RFRG and they would say how much worse the new album is than RFRG. They were complaining about Ixnay too, but now they praise it. I think that just happens after some time when an album grows on you.

Peace

malibu43
06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
I have something else to add to what I posted earlier. First, I think I'm changing my mind about A Lot Like Me. That ones actually pretty good.

But, in addition to thinking that the other two slower songs are just not very good songs (I didn't say "poppy" or "not punk", I just said I don't really think they are good songs), the other problem with this album (again, IMHO), is the track order. I listen to this and feel kinda like they blew their load a little too early with the first 4 songs. I would like to have seen Trust in You or Half Truism later on in the track order.

That's what I think...

bighead384
06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
But, in addition to thinking that the other two slower songs are just not very good songs (I didn't say "poppy" or "not punk", I just said I don't really think they are good songs)

tru punx!!!1 Anarky!

Apparently, malibu43, isn't as open-minded as some of us here. Let's give ourselves a pat on the back and continue to search for people with this same opinion.

Selfesteem_
06-16-2008, 05:21 PM

HAHAHA perfect!!

maplejet
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
First off, to those posting images of "whiners", let it be known that there will always be people who hate an album...and it just happened to be OffspringHead in this case. He gave his opinion. You don't have to agree with him, but don't take cheap shots by posting "whining" pictures.

IamSam
06-16-2008, 06:25 PM
First off, to those posting images of "whiners", let it be known that there will always be people who hate an album...and it just happened to be OffspringHead in this case. He gave his opinion. You don't have to agree with him, but don't take cheap shots by posting "whining" pictures.

They call me an ass kisser I call them a whiner. Eye for an eye.

Mahalie
06-16-2008, 07:06 PM
There are a lot of idiots here. Everyone is allowed their opinion. If you have a problem with someone's opinion, debate it. Stop posting pictures of people crying. That just makes you look stupid.

Either way, I enjoyed this album. It was far from their best work, but I don't think the Offspring could ever do anything I don't enjoy. And enough of the comparisons to Green Day. It's annoying.

Windextor
06-16-2008, 08:27 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^http://static.flickr.com/96/236979644_2e657b9ee3.jpg

slade
06-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I would strongly argue that more than 3 songs sound like Offspring.

Selfesteem_
06-16-2008, 10:01 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^http://static.flickr.com/96/236979644_2e657b9ee3.jpg

Picture dedicated to Maplejet & Mahalie

Jules69
06-16-2008, 10:11 PM
There are a lot of idiots here. Everyone is allowed their opinion. If you have a problem with someone's opinion, debate it. Stop posting pictures of people crying. That just makes you look stupid.

Either way, I enjoyed this album. It was far from their best work, but I don't think the Offspring could ever do anything I don't enjoy. And enough of the comparisons to Green Day. It's annoying. Awsome!! Am embarrassed to say that I gotta go check it out NOW!!!! I have not even heard it YET!!! Yes that is lame of me am so busy!! Everything they do IS GREAT TO ME!!!!!!!!!:eek:

THEGINS
06-17-2008, 12:43 AM
i agree entirely with offspringhead, i was really looking forward to this album, because i know and love every single offspring song from all of their previous realeases. But this album just did not deliver at all, it shocked me to listen to it (although after hearing Hammerhead i expected great things), he's right, this album IS depressing song after depressing song.

i'm glad i downloaded it 1st so i could cancel my vinyl order. I'm not even sure i'm going to listen to it again, and probably won't go and see them live.

I'm not sayin these things to rile peeps up, i'm just very dissappointed:(

Coach Vee
06-17-2008, 02:11 AM
well i'm just listening to the album for the very first time now (decided to wait til it was released here) and "hideous, boring, whiney load of w*nk" was the first phrase that sprang to mind.

i can't understand why people always want a band to change their sound. you like a band because of the way they sound, they change the way they sound, you don't like them anymore. that's why i'd like a new "old-offspring" album. that and the fact that i love punk and hate this awful emo rubbish that's being shoved down our throats recently.

Okay, I had to register, just to respond to this.

I don't think it's necessarily that people WANT bands to change their sound. It's natural evolution. The "old Offspring" is just that - it was young, raw. When you listen to the self-titled and Ignition - you can tell this is something they aren't just going to be able to repeat.

When a band is going for that many years, if they just churn out the same material - they're just doing it to please the fans. They enjoy what they are doing - so they are bound to try out different things with their music. (The only odd exception to this is songs like Trust in You - I like the song, but the melody sounds almost exactly like Smash)

I figure if people like the old sound so much, they should just listen to the old albums - that's not meant as a barb, because that's wht I do! - and I would rather listen to the self-titled album 100 times over, than hear them try to replicate it today. (Would still love to hear them play the songs live, though.)

That said - out of all their albums, Rise and Fall is probably my least favourite, due to the number of songs I'm not keen on - but I still enjoy some of the songs (Hammerhead, Half Truism). It doesn't mean I'm going to go off on one about how they're losing it, however. I'm just gonna see what they come out with next!

And I think the first two or three people posting "whine" images was enough. After that, the point was made. =P

Little_Miss_1565
06-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Apparently, malibu43, isn't as open-minded as some of us here. Let's give ourselves a pat on the back and continue to search for people with this same opinion.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but this IS a fan forum, and it's pretty naive to expect that people who post negative things about the band won't get a lot of heated response.

HOWEVER, malibu43 was totally awesome about the way he presented his opinion on the album and I give him major props for that. Most people here saying the same sort of thing that he did don't seem to get it.

Why you came back to keep calling everyone around you on this forum elitist in one way or another is really puzzling to me.

Coach Vee -- Well said.

ernesto88
06-17-2008, 07:48 AM
it's imposible my friend, if anyone not like RFRG this guy have several psiquical problems, and he need go to dr!

haha :D

Free?
06-17-2008, 08:50 AM
I'd just say, give RAFRAG more time to understand it. I know, you can tell me that you've listened it for many times and now it's all open for you, but most likely you are wrong. I could say how exactly will I find the album only after a year, especially if it's The Offspring's one. And for poppyness... I said that before, the only real attribute that can approve song as poppy is lyrics, what is the song about. And that's why I don't see any poppyness in RAFRAG (maybe you can put here Fix You, but I don't think that a good rock album must not have any emotional song just because it would be poppy).

bighead384
06-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't know if you noticed or not, but this IS a fan forum, and it's pretty naive to expect that people who post negative things about the band won't get a lot of heated response.

HOWEVER, malibu43 was totally awesome about the way he presented his opinion on the album and I give him major props for that. Most people here saying the same sort of thing that he did don't seem to get it.

Why you came back to keep calling everyone around you on this forum elitist in one way or another is really puzzling to me.

Coach Vee -- Well said.

Whether or not I should be expecting it is beside the point, the fact of the matter is, people on this board say retarded things when they try to stick up for the new material and sound "open-minded". It annoys the hell out of me, and I even posted a thread about it before the album came out, hoping that people would knock it off. It didn't work.

P.S. You're a creep detective. (But I'm sure "it only took a few clicks")

Rutegard
06-17-2008, 10:39 AM
guys come one...let's all be nice...

there is AT LEAST one offspring song that we all love aey?

Drafan
06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Anyone NOT like RAFRag? Another nice thread Iīm not gonna read through.

Johnny Birdbrook
06-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Congrats!!!

i just started to read the thread and after the first two posts i had to stop.
I just can't believe whats goin on here.
If i say, the album is the fuckin best, I am the man..
but if i say i don't like it, I am a whiner???

this intolerance totally sucks.
probably the ones who think it's the best are more blinded than the ones who critisize the album.

Because it is very hard to put just hit singles on an album, but most of you seem to think it is like this.

it's more realistic that there are songs that you like and songs that you don't like.

and if there are songs that somebody doesn't like, than he's not a whiner, than he just doesn't like 'em or!! the songs are maybe not so good.

personally i also think that the last three songs of the album are the worst they've ever did.
But I#m not a whiner no, i just don't see it all through the offspring fanboy glassses, i see the things objective..

unlike the ones, that can't handle critics and give away their intolerant shit!

just jate things like that. (sorry for my english)

nieh
06-17-2008, 01:01 PM
The fact that bighead384 tries to use the phrase "open-minded' as an insult is amazing.

bighead384
06-17-2008, 01:06 PM
The fact that bighead384 tries to use the phrase "open-minded' as an insult is amazing.

You're an idiot.

Rutegard
06-17-2008, 01:07 PM

lolol

new jersey rulez :P

Little_Miss_1565
06-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Whether or not I should be expecting it is beside the point, the fact of the matter is, people on this board say retarded things when they try to stick up for the new material and sound "open-minded". It annoys the hell out of me, and I even posted a thread about it before the album came out, hoping that people would knock it off. It didn't work.

P.S. You're a creep detective. (But I'm sure "it only took a few clicks")

I don't care if the people who are trying to stick up for the new material sound "retarded" or not. The fans on the band's own web forum shouldn't have to defend why they like the new songs.

The thing too is that an enormous portion of the users here do not speak English as a first language, and depending on how strong their grasp of English is, the expression of some of their ideas may not be as sophisticated and nuanced as that of a native speaker's (who's the elitist now?). On the other hand, there are plenty of native English speakers here who couldn't string together a coherent sentence to save their lives. But at the end of the day, none of that matters, because the crux of your argument seems to ignore that the fan forum doesn't need to justify why they like it, and it is unfortunately not against the rules to annoy you with their enthusiasm.

Being a "creep detective" is better than being a creep. What's your damage?

bighead384
06-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't care if the people who are trying to stick up for the new material sound "retarded" or not. The fans on the band's own web forum shouldn't have to defend why they like the new songs.

The thing too is that an enormous portion of the users here do not speak English as a first language, and depending on how strong their grasp of English is, the expression of some of their ideas may not be as sophisticated and nuanced as that of a native speaker's (who's the elitist now?). On the other hand, there are plenty of native English speakers here who couldn't string together a coherent sentence to save their lives. But at the end of the day, none of that matters, because the crux of your argument seems to ignore that the fan forum doesn't need to justify why they like it, and it is unfortunately not against the rules to annoy you with their enthusiasm.

Being a "creep detective" is better than being a creep. What's your damage?

You're twisting things around and putting words into my mouth (maybe not intentionally, but you are). Here's how: First of all, I was never attacking people that like the new album, nor do I even think that people who like the album get "attacked" here. I actually like the new album a lot. I was attacking the people that have really stupid reasons for bashing people that DON'T like the new album, or prefer a more punk sound. Many people seem to think that the only reason someone could ever feel this way is because they're some sort of punk rock conformist, or they think they're too bad ass for pop rock songs. Also, people act like if you don't accept the new direction a band has taken, you're automatically closed-minded. This isn't necessarily true, and I'll bet you most of the time, it isn't.

Also, your thing about people who don't speak English as their first language is unnecessary. I said that people "say retarded things", not that they "sound retarded". I know it's crappy to be like that to people who haven't spoken English all their life, but why would you say all that before you knew for a fact that that's what I meant?

Also, I meant that you're a detective who is a creep, not a detective of creeps. Unless maybe you knew that and just made a joke. Either way, I don't care, I'm not arguing about that cause I know what you'll say...but I think it's pretty darn strange.

jacknife737
06-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Dude, just stop it.

bighead384
06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Dude, just stop it.

Asskisser.

dff_punk
06-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Asskisser.

Dude, just stop with the asskiser thing. Everyone who's here has got his own opinion which is not affected by anybody. Peace.

bighead384
06-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Dude, just stop with the asskiser thing. Everyone who's here has got his own opinion which is not affected by anybody. Peace.

Sorry, but I really don't know why else someone would be compelled to write that after reading what I thought was a perfectly reasonable response to 1565.

jacknife737
06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Asskisser.

Are you 6 years old? Why do you feel you need to have the last say in every pointless argument that you've started on this bbs (of which there are several)?

dff_punk
06-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Leave him alone, this guy just likes to fight. Now dance, fucker, dance...

bighead384
06-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Are you 6 years old? Why do you feel you need to have the last say in every pointless argument that you've started on this bbs (of which there are several)?

You're gonna go far, kid.

bighead384
06-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Now dance, fucker, dance...

You're gonna go far, kid.

Wha?!?!

Life is creepy.

dff_punk
06-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Oh guys, why can't you leave it all behind. Everyone who agrees with the mods is automatically an asskisser and everyone who disrespects them is automatically a "tru punx" or a "rebel who deserves to be banned".. Why can't we be friends? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8)

bighead384
06-17-2008, 04:21 PM
This is too weird. We must've all tapped into some similar brain wave frequency or something.

Show me how to lie and getting better all the time.... Dance,dance... you gonna go far kid. :cool:

Posted at 4:05, just like in this thread. http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33099&page=9

IamSam
06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Oh guys, why can't you leave it all behind. Everyone who agrees with the mods is automatically an asskisser and everyone who disrespects them is automatically a "tru punx" or a "rebel who deserves to be banned".. Why can't we be friends? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8)

We can all be acquaintances but we all can't be friends.

Bighead, I reject your reality and substitute it with my own. I'm as much an asskisser as you are Namibian. The fact is simply that you wrongly jumped into a 'debate,' as one person called it, and started blabbering on about how wrong everyone was to argue with an opinion. You have done this your entire existence on the board, the most memorable being the DUI thread. Have you ever contemplated just sitting back on the sidelines to think before you speak?

In all honesty I can't believe this thread is still going. It reeks of stupidity among several posters, and not just those I've disagreed with. The posting of crying pictures got out of hand.

dff_punk
06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
In all honesty I can't believe this thread is still going.

I agree. The negativity of some posters irritates me soooo much...

Drafan
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Make love, not war!
http://www.offspring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=435
Uh what the hell I have done! Excuse me.

dff_punk
06-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Uh what the hell I have done! Excuse me.

The almighty Google helped you.

cwest
06-19-2008, 03:50 PM
I am a bit late to this little party and this is my first post, unfortunately I'll probably be coming off on the wrong foot but here ya go...

I've been an offspring fan since 1994/95, I was in 7th/8th grade then. Smash had just come out and that Album was amazing, so rough and edgy and i could relate to the rebellion theme throughout the album (nothing from something, Bad Habit). This album caused me to explore their self titled album and ignition, again bad ass albums. I can confidently say that I could listen to each of their 4 album in their entirety without complaints. For me to like every song of an artists's album was a first and my cause for listing them as my favorite band. Ixnay was a great follow up to Smash.

I am with Offspring Head in regard to my feelings towards the new album, just doesn't have that Offspring edge. For me what I've noticed is that in the past, Ixnay and the previous albums, the guitar riffs/drums were all a lot meatier and aggressive, This album just seemed to have smooth transitions and less edgy. Also dexter's vocals seem to be a lot more prominent in recent albums, whereas smash, ignition, the instruments really grabbed you...at least me.

In the past I used to listen to their albums and immediately be hooked, with this cd I am actually finding myself forcing myself to listen to this cd simply b/c they are the offspring and I am trying to find something to get attached to. Don't get me wrong there are songs I like, but if this wasn't the offspring i would not put the time into listening.

Sadly, this album is at the bottom of my list of favorites. I realize that a band evolves, but when they lost Ron Welty a lot of the Offspring's edge was lost. The drumming was amazing.

Ugh very disheartening but hey I am glad they made another album, I am at least happy for that.

IamSam
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
I realize that a band evolves, but when they lost Ron Welty a lot of the Offspring's edge was lost. The drumming was amazing.

You do realize that Josh Freese is exponentially better than Ron was...right?

EDIT: I should say that you argued your point very well. I just wanted some clarification on this drumming thing.

Conspiracyof1000
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
I am a bit late to this little party and this is my first post, unfortunately I'll probably be coming off on the wrong foot but here ya go...

I've been an offspring fan since 1994/95, I was in 7th/8th grade then. Smash had just come out and that Album was amazing, so rough and edgy and i could relate to the rebellion theme throughout the album (nothing from something, Bad Habit). This album caused me to explore their self titled album and ignition, again bad ass albums. I can confidently say that I could listen to each of their 4 album in their entirety without complaints. For me to like every song of an artists's album was a first and my cause for listing them as my favorite band. Ixnay was a great follow up to Smash.

I am with Offspring Head in regard to my feelings towards the new album, just doesn't have that Offspring edge. For me what I've noticed is that in the past, Ixnay and the previous albums, the guitar riffs/drums were all a lot meatier and aggressive, This album just seemed to have smooth transitions and less edgy. Also dexter's vocals seem to be a lot more prominent in recent albums, whereas smash, ignition, the instruments really grabbed you...at least me.

In the past I used to listen to their albums and immediately be hooked, with this cd I am actually finding myself forcing myself to listen to this cd simply b/c they are the offspring and I am trying to find something to get attached to. Don't get me wrong there are songs I like, but if this wasn't the offspring i would not put the time into listening.

Sadly, this album is at the bottom of my list of favorites. I realize that a band evolves, but when they lost Ron Welty a lot of the Offspring's edge was lost. The drumming was amazing.

Ugh very disheartening but hey I am glad they made another album, I am at least happy for that.

Now THAT is how to state your opinon. Nobody flame this guy!
I like the album. That doesn't mean everybody else has to.

bd007h
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
I've been a fan since Smash and I think this is their best album since Ixnay On The Hombre

cwest
06-19-2008, 04:57 PM
I am Sam, although Josh Freese arguably may be exponentially better than Ron Welty, music is so subjective, sometimes we can't explain why we prefer one song, band, musician, genre over another. I've been in arguments such as this that have gone on for hours only to come to the consensus of agreeing to disagree.

I appreciate your feedback, I was worried I would get flamed for disliking an otherwise popular new album among Offspring fans.

that being said, I hope they announce more tour dates for the northeast!

Rooster
06-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I am Sam, although Josh Freese arguably may be exponentially better than Ron Welty, music is so subjective, sometimes we can't explain why we prefer one song, band, musician, genre over another. I've been in arguments such as this that have gone on for hours only to come to the consensus of agreeing to disagree.

I appreciate your feedback, I was worried I would get flamed for disliking an otherwise popular new album among Offspring fans.

I won't flame you, because you expressed your own opinion in a right, constructive way and you didn't insult anyone. I don't agree with you about the album, though :D, i think it's great. Welcome to the forum

IamSam
06-19-2008, 05:51 PM

Very true, and well spoken. Thank you for responding, I see what you mean now!