PDA

View Full Version : Fix You Appreciation Thread

Conspiracyof1000
06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Does anyone here besides me like Fix You? I admit some of the lyrics are cheesy, but overall I really enjoy it. Plus it sounds like the relationship of two people very close to me, so I can relate to it. Dexter's voice is beautiful, especially in the lalala part. The guitar is simple, but it's acoustic and I'm a sucker for acoustic songs.

So, am I alone or are there others that enjoy Fix You?

jacknife737
06-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I think based on the various reviews that I’ve read, Fix You (along with Rock Bottom) is one of the most underrated tracks on the album. I get a huge Dirty Magic vibe from this song.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-18-2008, 10:03 PM
I really like Fix You, but my only problem with it is that it's badly mixed. This is a song that should really emphasize the vocals, but at the end when Dexter's going "a-hooooooo," etc., the guitar is way too loud and his vocals are way too soft. It's OK for most of the rest of the song, but that one part really bugs me for that reason. Not the Offspring's fault, it's a great song.

T_immortal
06-18-2008, 10:09 PM
I'll admit it, I wasn't too keen on fix you at first, but then it really grew on me, my favorite part by far:

She sees a million stars like holes in the sky
All God’s tears for her they cry
And I am in her rain

Pure brilliance, and what a buildup for the chorus that follows :)

Camilamazed
06-18-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't see why so many people complained about this song. It's no news; There has always been songs like that. Have people forgotten Denial?

:confused:

Conspiracyof1000
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't see why so many people complained about this song. It's no news; There has always been songs like that. Have people forgotten Denial?

:confused:

I think people just like to complain about stuff.

Jaded skies
06-18-2008, 10:33 PM
i used to be not so fond of it, but now some elements are starting to turn on a light for me.

heroesinvain
06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
i love this song its one of my favorites

commonrider5447
06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Its a good song and I enjoy it but its my least favorite on the album. I think Kristy is the much stronger slow song. But still, yeah Fix You is good :)

medi01
06-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Fix you is great, in its own way :D

Just slightly prefer kristy atm tho

Vera
06-19-2008, 01:35 AM
I love this song a lot. Like I said in my review, I see it as a kind of more advanced, hard-hitting version of Denial, Revisited. I love Denial but it could be a better song, but Fix You gets it much more right. Musically it's much more cohesive and Dexter's singing is better than in Denial, lyrically it's filled with lines that could be cliché but seem to make sense in context.

The only complaint is the jump from "she this, she that" to "you this, you that". The change of pronouns makes me wonder if he's suddenly talking about another person, or if the song is addressed to somebody else.

disclaimer_07
06-19-2008, 01:38 AM
My favorite from the album.

holland25
06-19-2008, 02:01 AM
Fix You is definitely one of the most emotional and beautiful songs from them. I love it.

F@ BANKZ
06-19-2008, 02:08 AM
I love this song a lot. Like I said in my review, I see it as a kind of more advanced, hard-hitting version of Denial, Revisited. I love Denial but it could be a better song, but Fix You gets it much more right. Musically it's much more cohesive and Dexter's singing is better than in Denial, lyrically it's filled with lines that could be cliché but seem to make sense in context.

The only complaint is the jump from "she this, she that" to "you this, you that". The change of pronouns makes me wonder if he's suddenly talking about another person, or if the song is addressed to somebody else.

It's about dual personalities; he switches pronouns to talk about the other emotional side of the subject. So "she" and "you" are the same person. Edit here: I think the verses are either him addressing somebody else or his description of the events to himself as they occur, it's hard to know whether he is communicating the chorus to 'her' or not, but it isn't addressed to the same persona that the verses are.

I agree with Vera here. The lyrics could be considered cheesy as they focus on weather conditions, metaphorical cuts, simple things. But the song is so well written that it really doesn't matter. It's unpretentious and it's poetic, and is certainly one of my favourites at the moment.

JeromeFleur
06-19-2008, 02:12 AM
It's about dual personalities, he switches pronouns to talk about the other emotional side of the subject. So "she" and "you" are the same person.

I agree with Vera here. The lyrics could be considered cheesy as they focus on weather conditions, metaphorical cuts, simple things. But the song is so well written that it really doesn't matter. It's unpretentious and it's poetic, and is certainly one of my favourites at the moment.
-
«but not in a gay way»

Hahahaha, I love your signature!!! works perfectly with this post, don't know if it was wanted.

F@ BANKZ
06-19-2008, 02:25 AM
lol, I forget it's there nowadays.

nightvision
06-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Yes yes, I really like this song too. I actually like all their slow songs a lot.

stretts
06-19-2008, 03:47 AM
grew on me massively and love it

Living in Chaos
06-19-2008, 04:50 AM
I really like this song, I loved Denial, Revisited, and I really hoped that the band would make another song in a similar vein. I'm glad this thread came up, with all the hate the song's been getting.

Actually, my Mum and sister really like this song too, my sister's even singing it for her singing assessment, so there's The Offspring reaching a wider audience :p

The Search Button
06-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Only those who don't have anyone "to fix", dislike this song.

So they are kinda happy folks. Let them be.

The bastards!

:(

bouncingcoles
06-19-2008, 07:59 AM
i like the song but the chorus is so fucking cheesy i cringe when i hear it. denial is better

MrJoe
06-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Agreed - Denial, Revisited is a far superior track and this does sound like a lot of stuff you can hear on the radio, but nevertheless its catchy and nice to see the Offspring try something a little different.

iPunk247
07-15-2008, 10:21 PM
such a nice/great song to make love too ya'know bitter-sweet-sympathy [XD]