PDA

View Full Version : Bob Rock

bouncingcoles
06-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I notice that a lot of people give Bob Rock shit. Not in this forum but everywhere else. i dont understand why. The only album that he produced that sucked was st anger. And if you think about it he was just the producer. Everyone blames him for that album but Metalica are the dumb asses who wrote the songs. and even if Bob Rock did help write some of the songs its Metalica who had the final say on the album. I feel like even metalica use him as a scape goat as to why St Anger sucked. Fuck everyone!

PS he did a pretty decent job on the new offspring album

Rooster
06-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I notice that a lot of people give Bob Rock shit. Not in this forum but everywhere else. i dont understand why. The only album that he produced that sucked was st anger. And if you think about it he was just the producer. Everyone blames him for that album but Metalica are the dumb asses who wrote the songs. and even if Bob Rock did help write some of the songs its Metalica who had the final say on the album. I feel like even metalica use him as a scape goat as to why St Anger sucked. Fuck everyone!

WORD! i wrote this in black only because the post should be at least 10 characters long

findout5
06-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I love Bob Rock and what he's done with Metallica!
St. Anger sounds raw cos they wanted it to sound like that.
Bob rules!
But I also love Dave Jerden!

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2008, 11:18 AM
I was really impressed with Bob Rock's leadership skillz in the Metallica documentary. And you're right, if the songs suck there's nothing that can be done production-wise to save it. The only thing that I can't stand about the production of St. Anger is the snare drum. That PING. I have a very visceral repulsion to such sounds. Maybe I suck, I don't know.

Capricorn4
06-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I was really impressed with Bob Rock's leadership skillz in the Metallica documentary. And you're right, if the songs suck there's nothing that can be done production-wise to save it. The only thing that I can't stand about the production of St. Anger is the snare drum. That PING. I have a very visceral repulsion to such sounds. Maybe I suck, I don't know.

The drums on St. Anger annoys me too.Not just the snare but the whole kit sounds like Lars hiting dishes and pots.It ruins the sound pretty much.

GBH2
06-19-2008, 11:28 AM
i don't like bob rock because he fucked up the production of The Cult's Beyond Good and Evil.

RonWelty
06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
he did a better job than Brendan. But i think the sound lacks that "joy" of Ixnay and Americana, but maybe the source of "this issue" is, in real, the band.

The Search Button
06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Bob Rocks!

Mothafucking Period[.]

HeadAroundU
06-19-2008, 12:20 PM
He did a great job on the album.

And the new album is fantabulous. :D

nieh
06-19-2008, 12:30 PM
The only thing that I can't stand about the production of St. Anger is the snare drum. That PING. I have a very visceral repulsion to such sounds. Maybe I suck, I don't know.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odVbjYeeCiU) recaptures the snare sound perfectly by banging on a metal folding chair with a drumstick.

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2008, 12:41 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odVbjYeeCiU) recaptures the snare sound perfectly by banging on a metal folding chair with a drumstick.

Gaaaaaaah.

What kills me is imagining all the engineers, interns, etc. tuning and mic-ing the drum kit. "Higher! Tune the snare higher, it needs more ping!" And testing it. Tuning it tighter, and testing it some more. asdjkl;fhjadfhjahjag

nieh
06-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I remember someone (possible on here?) sticking up for the sound saying "all they did was flip the lever that lifts the snares off the bottom!" but if that's all they did to it then he must have one seriously shitty snare drum for it to come out sounding like that.

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2008, 01:10 PM
I remember someone (possible on here?) sticking up for the sound saying "all they did was flip the lever that lifts the snares off the bottom!" but if that's all they did to it then he must have one seriously shitty snare drum for it to come out sounding like that.

Having been present for drum recording sessions, it takes more than just turning off the snare to make it sound that horrific. It takes *work*.

jacknife737
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM

Agreed, Bob Rock hate is totally irrational and uncalled for. I don't like everything that he's worked on, but that's because i don't like the band.

StayInTheHouseCarl
06-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Gotta give him credit, not only was he producing, but engineering. He's not just barking orders, giving opinions...he's at the board taking an active role in the process.

On the other hand.. Rick Rubin never shows up. he sends minions in his name.

rgf030
07-01-2009, 08:57 PM
i dig bob rock as a producer, but i dont know whos doing the mixing. it seems like a lot of the more recent albums he mixes sounds a bit too bassy for me. I also think the drums on the new album dont sound nearly as good as what brendan obrian did with conspiracy and splinter.
But as for the song development and crafting, i think he did a great job

SuperKnux
07-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I've always enjoyed Bob Rock's production. I have never had anything against the guy and I never understood why anybody did. Brendan O' Brian on the other hand; (while I love the production on both Offy discs), I know his work with other bands has become somewhat redundant and has pissed off other fanbases.

Though I still have my little gripes with the way RAFRAG was mixed, I'm almost sure Bob nor The Offspring really had a say in that.

brothadave79
07-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Agreed, Bob Rock hate is totally irrational and uncalled for. I don't like everything that he's worked on, but that's because i don't like the band.

Well, hating on the producer is a wonderful alternative to hating on the band. I'm sure a lot of Metallica fans would rather believe that Bob insidiously hijacked the album rather than admitting the band made some bad songs. He could have stacked the shit as high as he wanted, but it wouldn't have changed the smell.

Tomasisko
07-02-2009, 04:49 AM
well, I think Bob Rock was the biggest The Offspring's mistake.

Greekoldfan
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
what Bob did in st. anger was what they wanted to be.they wanted to sound more trush metal like kill 'em all. as far as death magnetic it is very easy to understand that the producer its not bob rock.rick rubins work its a piece of shit.all the songs sound the same,with 'strange' structure,no melodies and they last forever!!bob did great job with rafrag.perhaps the most solid offspring album.no fills, no spare things.12 songs tight together like pure rock!he also helped them to work and improve the structure of the songs!and remember kids what the most of us have written in this bbs.12 songs 12 singles.we never said that for any other album!

NoGuessing
08-04-2009, 01:52 AM
He's done alright with the new album, preferred Dave Jerden though. O'Brien was cringeworthy.

Alex101
08-05-2009, 04:15 PM
well, I think Bob Rock was the biggest The Offspring's mistake.
Just because the band worked with Bob Rock or something made Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace take a long time to record doesn't mean it's a mistake or anyone's fault.

bouncingcoles
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
they just need to make a sweet album like ixnay or smash again.

Outerspaceman21
08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Bob is a good producer, but not one of my favorites.

Bill Stevenson is my personal favorite. (Career Suicide and My War two of my all time favorite records). Oddly enough, my favorite Rise Against record is the one he didn't work on (Siren Songs for the Counter Culture).

ThunderPX
08-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Something bugs me about the way Bob Rock produced some parts of this album. It's like... when the distorted guitar kicks in on Half-Truism, something feels very off that doesn't quite go away until the next song. I get it during YGGFK too. Anyone know what I'm talking about? 'Cause I can't quite describe it.

The backing vocals also tend to feel very... manufactured. I'm pretty sure this is because of Bob Rock's involvement, because it's the same on Lostprophets' Liberation Transmission.

I like a bunch of the other stuff he's worked on though. The Black Album sounds perfect, if a little dated from having that "80s hard rock" sound with all that reverb.

As for the other Offspring producers, I liked all of them except Thom Wilson, because of his trupunx bullshit and because I maintain that Smash's production is pretty fucking terrible.

Americana98
08-05-2009, 09:26 PM
I like Bob Rock. He did a good job with Rise and Fall and he did good with 311's Uplifter. St. Anger was a mixture of Metallica's and his fault, (he encouraged the band to simplify their music to begin with, and when stretched across 6 minute songs, like in St. Anger, it really showed,) but getting past that, he does good work.

My favorite Offspring producer is Dave Jerden, though. I didn't care much for Brendan O'Brien. I thought both those two CD's sounded way too "manufactured" and "predictable" and I thought they played it a bit too safe.

Smash_Returns
08-05-2009, 10:11 PM
what Bob did in st. anger was what they wanted to be.they wanted to sound more trush metal like kill 'em all. as far as death magnetic it is very easy to understand that the producer its not bob rock.rick rubins work its a piece of shit.all the songs sound the same,with 'strange' structure,no melodies and they last forever!!bob did great job with rafrag.perhaps the most solid offspring album.no fills, no spare things.12 songs tight together like pure rock!he also helped them to work and improve the structure of the songs!and remember kids what the most of us have written in this bbs.12 songs 12 singles.we never said that for any other album!

Rick Rubin is an amazing producer, I love his work with RHCP and Slayer.

The issue with all post-AJFA Metallica is the band, not the producer. They decided to stop "writing" music and start "regurgitating" music. I doesn't bug me that the sold out, or anything like that. They lost creativity.

You can't blame Bob for Metallica S/T, Load, ReLoad, or St. Anger. It was all the band. (Well, maybe the drums in St. Anger). Look at what Bob did with Dr. Feelgood and RAFRAG. He's a good producer. So is Rick Rubin. Metallica just isn't a good band anymore. They quit thinking about what they were writing and nothing they do feels epic anymore.

Outerspaceman21
08-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I like Brenden O' Brien. He's produce some pretty good records (Bruce Springsteen's last four albums, Rage Against the Machine's Evil Empire, and Stone Temple Pilots to name a few). As for his work with the Offspring, while I didn't like Conspiracy too much, Splinter dark sound blew me away.

ThunderPX
08-06-2009, 05:19 AM
I don't get all the Brendan O'Brien hate. Sure, the sound of Conspiracy and Splinter was more polished than that of Ixnay and Americana, but it never bothered me. To me, those albums just sounded more modern, like it wasn't even an intentional change. If you ask me, the fact that Splinter isn't as good as it could have been is the band's fault for not having enough strong songs to put on it, not Brendan O'Brien's.

NoGuessing
08-06-2009, 06:20 AM
I don't blame O'Brien for the songs, I just don't like how they sound on the CD, if that makes sense.

ad8
08-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Thom Wilson 4 lyfe!!!1