PDA

View Full Version : Hammerhead

honeycomb
06-20-2008, 04:22 PM
What's with the blatant Nirvana riff rip off at the end??!! Please tell me it is intentional and all the parties who originally wrote this guitar part (a) agreed to it's use, and (b) are receiving some sort of payment/royalties for it's use! I never thought the day would come when I would listen to an Offspring song and feel annoyed. Please vindicate yourselves guys!

Conspiracyof1000
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Fuck, how many of these threads are there gonna be? :mad:

SaiKYoU
06-20-2008, 04:29 PM
What's with the blatant Nirvana riff rip off at the end??!! Please tell me it is intentional and all the parties who originally wrote this guitar part (a) agreed to it's use, and (b) are receiving some sort of payment/royalties for it's use! I never thought the day would come when I would listen to an Offspring song and feel annoyed. Please vindicate yourselves guys!

you're an asshole...

Rooster
06-20-2008, 04:40 PM

Yeah, Kurt Cobain had signed a contract right from his grave so that The Offspring could use his riff.... Come on, man! You really think that one riff is going to be used only once and never again? Where do you live, Mars? For the first punk rock bands (Ramones and the likes) it was easy to create something new, because there were maybe 5 punk bands back then. Now we have 817317847827 punk rovk bands and of course some riffs will repeat in more than one song, it should be obvious. But just because the riff is similar to Stay Away riff (i like Nirvana, so i know what you are talking about) it doesn't make a song bad, does it? I think Hammerhead is great.

Free?
06-20-2008, 04:48 PM

You are just another 237119th person who registred here to just start 427340th thread of why did Offspring rip someone's song. Boring. If you want investigate, then you will probably find out that the riff was used by The Doors long time before Nirvana. Did you ever try to do some punk songs? Did your songs sounded like not any other song?

dff_punk
06-20-2008, 05:23 PM
zomg nirvana should liek totally sue them

Drafan
06-20-2008, 05:50 PM

This is the first time Im gonna use this:
You are a fucking faggot!

honeycomb
06-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah, Kurt Cobain had signed a contract right from his grave so that The Offspring could use his riff.... Come on, man! You really think that one riff is going to be used only once and never again? Where do you live, Mars? For the first punk rock bands (Ramones and the likes) it was easy to create something new, because there were maybe 5 punk bands back then. Now we have 817317847827 punk rovk bands and of course some riffs will repeat in more than one song, it should be obvious. But just because the riff is similar to Stay Away riff (i like Nirvana, so i know what you are talking about) it doesn't make a song bad, does it? I think Hammerhead is great.

I just think that if someone is going to plagiarise someone else's material (be it lyrics, music, words) they should at least have the decency to give that person credit. I never said the song is bad, and anyway, the riff is the same (just a different key). It's ok to be influenced by or have taken influence from someone else, but surely give them the credit too? That's what album credits are for right?? If you all think I am an asshole for having my own opinions (how un-punk of me!) that's fine. Really did not expect to encounter so much abuse on a punk band site (this last sentence is not directed at you BTW Raptor88)

honeycomb
06-20-2008, 06:05 PM
This is the first time Im gonna use this:
You are a fucking faggot!

Oh I am so sad that you cannot accept another person's opinion without resorting to pre school name calling. Do you have an actual opinion? or just a list of insults?

Do you really think I would have signed up for the board if I wasn't a fan??!! I have been listening since Smash came out, just not keen on the last half of one song. Did not realise this was psycho-ville!!

Conspiracyof1000
06-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Oh I am so sad that you cannot accept another person's opinion without resorting to pre school name calling. Do you have an actual opinion? or just a list of insults?

Do you really think I would have signed up for the board if I wasn't a fan??!! I have been listening since Smash came out, just not keen on the last half of one song. Did not realise this was psycho-ville!!

Okay, I'm sorry for being a dick now that you've explained yourself.
It's just that after the album came out there's been a ton of people coming on, posting about how God-awful the album is (or how similar songs are) and then leaving.
Guess I just jumped to conclusions.

TRUSTpunk
06-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Isn't Nirvana dead? :confused:
That's your opinion that the sound is like Nirvana. The point is that you're bound run into the same sound after years of guitar melodies.

Amiralanal
06-20-2008, 08:16 PM

Im gonna cite my hero Dexter Holland on this one:

Fuck you get the fuck outta here!

Thomas
06-20-2008, 10:27 PM
It's not even in the same KEY!?!?!?!? Good GOD, people! How can that be considered a rip-off?

With a guitarist as simple as Kurt Cobain, some of his licks were BOUND to come up in SOME form or another, and I'm sure most (if not ALL) of his were used by someone before him. It doesn't mean it's plaigarism. Some music sounds similar to others. That's been true since Africans first started hitting drums to create music (a lot of the rhythms do have similar patterns, I've studied them for a few years now).

But seriously, if it's not even in the same key, then all of this bitching is completely un-called for. I normally don't care about this sort of thing because it's a well known fact that Hammerhead > Stay Away, but this isn't even a semi-ripoff. I just got really annoyed by this one.

jacknife737
06-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Dearest honeycomb,

I dislike you.

Sincerely,

Jacknife737

whiteboy
06-21-2008, 01:06 AM

ummmmm shut the fuck up seriously, there are thousands upon thousands of songs out there, there is going to be overlap

Lipo
06-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Dexter not only ripped-off Nirvana but also stole Kurt's ashes and sold them to Keith Richards who snorted them.

dff_punk
06-21-2008, 04:36 AM
Rofl :D ^^

Jesus
06-21-2008, 05:14 AM
It would be wise to listen to
Hello, I love you by The Doors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34wa2jehek)
or
All Day and All of the Night by The Kinks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWNwHof0kc)
before saying it's a Nirvana rip off. Either both Kurt and Dexter listen to classic rock songs (which are awesome) and were inspired by those (maybe even without being aware of it). Or it's just such an obvious riff.