PDA

View Full Version : a collection of random thoughts concerning the offspring and such..

ATOM_01
01-10-2005, 02:11 AM
today i was in the supermarket and the kid in front of me was singing Out on Patrol. Awesome.

The other night Batman Forever was on. Jim Carrey totally owns that movie but my favourite part was when Smash It Up came on. Awesome. The Offspring and Jim Carrey are a winning combination, they should do more soundtrack work to his movies besides Batman Forever and Me, Myself & Irene.

Atom Willard shits all over Ron Welty's drumming style. I reckon Ron's exit and Atom's entrance made the band sound almost twice as better live, and the drums have never sounded better.

MirandaV
01-10-2005, 10:18 AM
No-one shits on Ron

understand?

Offspring_01
01-10-2005, 01:59 PM
today i was in the supermarket and the kid in front of me was singing Out on Patrol. Awesome.

The other night Batman Forever was on. Jim Carrey totally owns that movie but my favourite part was when Smash It Up came on. Awesome. The Offspring and Jim Carrey are a winning combination, they should do more soundtrack work to his movies besides Batman Forever and Me, Myself & Irene.

Atom Willard shits all over Ron Welty's drumming style. I reckon Ron's exit and Atom's entrance made the band sound almost twice as better live, and the drums have never sounded better.

Ron shits on YOU! :D

nameless
01-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Atom Willard shits all over Ron Welty's drumming style. I reckon Ron's exit and Atom's entrance made the band sound almost twice as better live, and the drums have never sounded better.[/QUOTE]

although i must admit atom has a reputation as a hard hitter, you and many others seem to forget that he hasnt actually recorded anything with the offspring and according to many on this board and comments from ron, the reason he left the band was because the songs werent written as a group - dexter called most of the shots - hence the reason even with josh freese playing on the last album the drums sounded practically the same as before!

Dead Cheerleader
01-10-2005, 04:30 PM
I agree fucker. You'd better recognize. Ron Welty is one of the most talented song WRITERS ever. His style smokes Atom. He doesn't have to beat the piss out of the drums to get attention. He's a pimp.

Dead Cheerleader
01-10-2005, 04:34 PM
And as for your post 'nameless,' I heard that is why Ron left too. But I have to definitely disagree with you. The stuff Josh Freese does not sound the same as Ron. You can easily tell the songs that Ron wrote the drums for on Splinter and the ones that Josh wrote. Josh's fills are way longer.

Hysteria
01-10-2005, 04:41 PM
The drumming Ron does for the "Smash It Up" song on the Batman Forever film, isn't really Ron's style as it has to fit the song and many elements of it are copied straight from the original of Smash It Up by The Damned.

nameless
01-12-2005, 04:21 PM
And as for your post 'nameless,' I heard that is why Ron left too. But I have to definitely disagree with you. The stuff Josh Freese does not sound the same as Ron. You can easily tell the songs that Ron wrote the drums for on Splinter and the ones that Josh wrote. Josh's fills are way longer.

ok i see where your coming from to a certain extent, however, i wasnt aware that ron played drums on any of the tracks on splinter, to my knowledge it was all josh freese!

there was a trademark josh freese bit in the long way home but apart from that, in my opinion, it sounds like the same patterns and style used on previous albums!

Talman
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Whoever said you can tell the difference between who was drumming on splinter is talking shit. Firstly Ron never drummed on Splinter. Secondly Josh is a studio drummer. He plays what he's told to play. Dexter gives orders about what to play. Ron didn't like that so he left. Josh is a studio drummer. That's his life, so he's not gonna care.
________
NEW RELATIONSHIP ADVICE FORUM (http://www.love-help.org/new-relationship-advice/)

leo3375
01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't know if wanting more input in singwriting was the main reason Ron left. What I had heard was that Ron's relationship with his bandmates began to deteriorate sometime during the CO1 tour (looking back now, I can see that happening). Dexter and Greg said that it had reached a point where their rapport was seriously strained and Ron seemd disinterested in the band. The Offspring make demos of their songs and then decide what to change or if the lyrics work, etc. In that sense, everyone has input into the songs that Dexter writes.

Punk rock drumming is pretty straightforward. I'm sure that if guys like Tre Cool, Travis Barker, Josh Freese, etc. were given a drum solo and/or more complicated rhythms, their true talent would shine.

nameless
01-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't know if wanting more input in singwriting was the main reason Ron left. What I had heard was that Ron's relationship with his bandmates began to deteriorate sometime during the CO1 tour (looking back now, I can see that happening). Dexter and Greg said that it had reached a point where their rapport was seriously strained and Ron seemd disinterested in the band. The Offspring make demos of their songs and then decide what to change or if the lyrics work, etc. In that sense, everyone has input into the songs that Dexter writes.

Punk rock drumming is pretty straightforward. I'm sure that if guys like Tre Cool, Travis Barker, Josh Freese, etc. were given a drum solo and/or more complicated rhythms, their true talent would shine.

travis barkers and josh freeses drumming is not straight forward, id say the drums with the offspring and green day is more so.

as for ron leaving, i dont think he had a strained relationship, he was a self taught drummer and between americana and conspiracy of one hired a coach saying that he then changed things about his playing - set up of the kit, grip on the sticks etc - i think he must have began looking at things in a different way but the others wanted the drums kept the same. also during the conspiracy of one tour was when he formed steady ground!

summer_guy
01-15-2005, 08:53 AM
ron is better than aton cos atom suck