PDA

View Full Version : The Rise & Fall Of The American Idiot

Scragnog
06-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Howdy All!

I've spent the last 2 weeks or so listening to the new album as much as I can and despite some obvious weak points I really enjoy it overall.

But....that last track, The Rise & Fall - I know I'm not the first person to compare it to American Idiot but I was curious to see exactly how similiar it really was. I put together a little video comparing the 2 tracks, take a peek and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwug0okS0IM

I'm obviously not trying to belittle either of the bands, I love Green Day and The Offspring, but I thought this one was just too close for comfort!

Lupin
06-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Fuck thats a good song, maybe a split ep idea for the future. Rise & Fall pisses all over American Idiot...by the way it doesn't annoy the fuck outa me.

but thats just me
________
Hash Honey Oil (http://trichomes.org/hashish/honey-oil)

Jesus
06-21-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm obviously not trying to belittle either of the bands

Yeah right... (might update your used Offspring photo and change the title/description of your youtube video)

If you'd bother to read the lyrics, you might notice that the song might be about green day.

Also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=advxtHtTkoQ
And use the seach function next time.

Scragnog
06-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Yeah right... (might update your used Offspring photo and change the title/description of your youtube video)

If you'd bother to read the lyrics, you might notice that the song might be about green day.

Also

Hmm, in the title of the video I'm asking a question, why would I change that?

Also, apart from the intro in the D4 song, the resemblance is very weak.

dff_punk
06-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Exactly, I was thinking if Dexter didn't somehow dedicate this song to Billie Joe and therefore make it similar...

"And I don't wanna say I told you so, but I told you so, now you've lost control"

The song might be something about "The Rise And Fall Of Green Day".... think about the lyrics...

EDIT: Also notice the red heart in the booklet next to the "Rise And Fall" lyrics which is similar to Green Day's.

SaiKYoU
06-21-2008, 08:20 AM
fuck... this all is interesting...

so, let's start an open war between Offspring and Foxboro Hot Tubs!!

spidey255
06-21-2008, 09:20 AM
From the first time I heard it I thought the song was about Greenday, which is why it's so similar. I also thought it's place on the CD was a bit of a tip too. American Idiot was the first track of the album. Rise and Fall is the last.

Thomas
06-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Dexter is such a cheeky old bastard!

Gotta love him.

Kermit
06-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I haven't been in the Offspring /Green day game for a while, so can anyone fill me in on why Dexter should have written a song about BJ/Green Day?

IamSam
06-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Howdy All!

I've spent the last 2 weeks or so listening to the new album as much as I can and despite some obvious weak points I really enjoy it overall.

But....that last track, The Rise & Fall - I know I'm not the first person to compare it to American Idiot but I was curious to see exactly how similiar it really was. I put together a little video comparing the 2 tracks, take a peek and let me know what you think.

I'm obviously not trying to belittle either of the bands, I love Green Day and The Offspring, but I thought this one was just too close for comfort!

That's actually a pretty sweet video you've got there! Nice job!

Here is my opinion of Rise and Fall that I posted earlier.

I pointed out earlier that I now think this may be a small poke at Green Day.

This time you’re really dead
Once followed, but always led
You thought you’d rise above it all

(Green Day rising above the rest after 'following music, yet leading a scene.')

It’s all inside your head
All ripping it up in shreds
I know someday you’re gonna fall

And I don’t wanna say I told you so
But I told you so
Now you’ve lost control

(They will ultimately fall as they had been told because they became too egomaniacal.)

You’re in an awful way
Sucked in by what you crave
They just can’t wait to see you crawl

(They can't let go of it because they crave it and want more of it while many just want to see them do horribly.)

And you can only laugh
Give in to the other half
They’re only tearing down your walls

(They scoff at those wanting to see them crawl and give in more so they can rise even more, without realizing it is leading to their downfall.)

That's my opinion of Rise and Fall anyway.

jacknife737
06-21-2008, 01:53 PM
You also may want to include Dillinger Four's Doublewhiskeycokenoice, a song that was written before both Rise and Fall and American Idiot.

Edit: A youtube video similar to yours comparing the D4 song to American Idiot, thought you may be interested http://youtube.com/watch?v=advxtHtTkoQ

Rutegard
06-21-2008, 02:13 PM
green day?

i don't like them...and probably...that's why i love rise and fall so much....yeah...now it makes sense!!

i was right all along ehehehe i love me :P

The Search Button
06-21-2008, 02:14 PM
This thread is so stupid that even my nails and hair hurt.

sipptaroowsky
06-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I do not know if you are aware of it but, Green Day sucks. That is not my opinion that, is a fact. Ever since I started listening to Offspring I have been hearing this phenomenon, that Offspring is somewhat similar to Green day, that can't be truth.

Rutegard
06-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I do not know if you are aware of it but, Green Day sucks. That is not my opinion that, is a fact. Ever since I started listening to Offspring I have been hearing this phenomenon, that Offspring is somewhat similar to Green day, that can't be truth.

it is not...

do not compare what is uncomparable LOL or whatever!

bighead384
06-21-2008, 03:22 PM

Also

Are you sure you bothered to read the lyrics? I mean, what about the little side note at the end of the lyrics in the lyrics book? That has nothing to do with Green Day by any stretch of the imagination.

IamSam
06-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Are you sure you bothered to read the lyrics? I mean, what about the little side note at the end of the lyrics in the lyrics book? That has nothing to do with Green Day by any stretch of the imagination.

Read my previous post, bighead. Not only could it be about Green Day, but about anyone like them or anyone who feeds off of others by selling themselves.

Short_Attention_Span
06-21-2008, 04:35 PM

What side note at the end of the lyrics? I don't have the Cd. I've only heard the album stream.

*Delves into off topic area* And since when were Green Day egomaniacs? Maybe I'm missing something here, but as far as I know, all they've done is release stupidly dramatic music videos and a super popular concept album. How does that make them egomaniacs? That may border on the line of pretentiousness, but egomania? Really?
________
Penelopa (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Penelopa/)

bighead384
06-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Read my previous post, bighead. Not only could it be about Green Day, but about anyone like them or anyone who feeds off of others by selling themselves.

Okay, so you think it could be about Greenday AND anyone like them or anyone who feeds off of others by selling themselves. That still means that you think it could be about Greenday. Once again, the side note at the end of the lyrics makes is clear to any rational thinking person that the song has nothing to do with Greenday's career.

bighead384
06-21-2008, 06:07 PM
What side note at the end of the lyrics? I don't have the Cd. I've only heard the album stream.

*Delves into off topic area* And since when were Green Day egomaniacs? Maybe I'm missing something here, but as far as I know, all they've done is release stupidly dramatic music videos and a super popular concept album. How does that make them egomaniacs? That may border on the line of pretentiousness, but egomania? Really?
After the lyrics to Rise and Fall it says:

Rise and fall is: Good and evil, Appearance and reality, judgment and reflection. It is to judge and to be judged, To dream and to accept. It is Triumph and despair, Wish and realization, And we are both.

IamSam
06-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Okay, so you think it could be about Greenday AND anyone like them or anyone who feeds off of others by selling themselves. That still means that you think it could be about Greenday. Once again, the side note at the end of the lyrics makes is clear to any rational thinking person that the song has nothing to do with Greenday's career.

Maybe it is just something they found to be cool. Who knows?

commonrider5447
06-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Rise and Fall has really grown on me. I like it better than American Idiot now tho I didnt at first.

I think the similarity is intentional, Id love to hear Dexter talk about it. I was thinking since American Idiot is already a rip off of D4 that Dexter was saying: hey look we can rip ppl off too but actually make it even better.

hahaha but thats just me...

Budzy
06-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Interesting, it was a good idea to do what you did with the youtube clip.
they are similar, yet hearing the comparison the way you put it on youtube makes them sound more different actually.
Dexters vocals are way way way better.
And havnt they fed off eachother for so long anyways?
definetly there could be something going on, but offspring is the band WE love, so thats all that matters.
just like nirvanas "smells like teen spirit" and offspring self esteem have the same intro sound just faster and slower.
theres been tons of songs that sound like others. its just that offspring and greenday are both highly popular bands, and both draw alot of attention.

Moose
06-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Rise and fall is: Good and evil, Appearance and reality, judgment and reflection. It is to judge and to be judged, To dream and to accept. It is Triumph and despair, Wish and realization, And we are both.

I felt as if this part of the lyrics (the side note) was originally in the song, either during the bridge or to close it out, but they decided it didn't fit right so they took it out of the song, but they liked the lyrics, so they put it in for the fans to read it.

But i think it was initially meant to be in the song in some way, but was taken out...but the band liked it, so they put it at the end of the booklet.

sipptaroowsky
06-22-2008, 12:19 AM
I think this album is basicaly about the powerlessness of humanity, I'd allso add that from the album title we might conclude that we are in a Kobayahi Maru, or for all of you non st freeks, the no win scenario,. If we do good we will be punished and if we do a bad thing you will be rewarded, well I probably got it wrong, but it's a thought. The only way you can enjoy this reality is if you were a mazohist. I love this philosofical bullcrap. And lay off the Greenday simmilarity, theese are two diferent bands with VERY diferent music, and if you can't hear that than you are daft and your opinion is not considered relevant.:rolleyes:

cool 2 hate 681
06-22-2008, 12:44 AM
i think this guy is 14 years too late

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngnFrejOT9E

mrconeman
06-22-2008, 06:20 AM
Jesus Christ. Will you people ever stop with this bullshit?

nieh
06-22-2008, 06:39 AM
I think the similarity is intentional, Id love to hear Dexter talk about it. I was thinking since American Idiot is already a rip off of D4 that Dexter was saying: hey look we can rip ppl off too but actually make it even better.

Not to be disrespectful, but Offspring have no right to give other people shit for ripping off other bands considering how many times they (hopefully inadvertently) have done it themselves.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that the similarities between the songs are an accident because one of the interviews implied that Dex was sick of hearing about American Idiot, but I'm not sure of Dex's reasoning behind it. Is he trying to start a grudge between the bands? Last I figured they weren't exactly friends but I don't recall either band actively feuding with the other, it's always just been the media that constantly compares the two of them. Plus Offspring calling another band out for selling themselves might be a little hypocritical. While they've never done stuff like SNL or late night shows, that doesn't mean they've never sold themselves before.

Moose
06-22-2008, 09:48 AM
outside of that intro guitar part, and like 2 other parts where it repeats...the songs dont really sound that similiar...i dont think this has anything to really do with anything...and i dont think the song is about green day...and i agree, it wouldnt make sense for the offspring to give shit to a band like green day since they both had a very similiar line of success and failure.

genocide_
06-22-2008, 09:58 AM
yeah, I noticed the similiarity right when I played it on the first time. I mean that AI comes first in your mind when you listened to it and that's it. It's not so similiar with chords etc. but drums and the A C A B C -thing are.

Mushroom
06-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I've been pondering for a while that Rise And Fall might be a dig at Green Day. That's the only way I could ever see Dexter writing a song so similar to American Idiot. Well, unless he was forced to by Bob Rock.

Johnny Birdbrook
06-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I've been pondering for a while that Rise And Fall might be a dig at Green Day. That's the only way I could ever see Dexter writing a song so similar to American Idiot. Well, unless he was forced to by Bob Rock.

yeah, this is what i was to lazy to write the last days :D

But I got the exact same opinion^^

(and hope)

RageAndLov
06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
woah! i haven't noticed the big ressemblance between those two song before!
They were astonishing alike!

have some noticed that the start of fix you is very like the start of wake me up when september ends by green day?

medi01
06-23-2008, 03:02 PM
woah! i haven't noticed the big ressemblance between those two song before!
They were astonishing alike!

have some noticed that the start of fix you is very like the start of wake me up when september ends by green day?

...ppl have said that...but they really don't when you listen to it more closely;)

Blastero
06-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Umm... the songs aren't really that similar, aside from some very superficial similarities. Green Day doesn't own a patent on clean guitar intros.

And there is really no reason to think Dexter wrote it about Green Day. With some wishful thinking in a place where the same generic anti-Green Day sentiment runs rampant like this, sure, you can twist it that way, but there really isn't any evidence that Dexter harbors the same idiotic grudges against Green Day that your average "punk" guy does, seeing as how he's had the exact same grudges directed toward him in the past.

Tijs
06-23-2008, 03:19 PM
If all these are so similar then why hasn't anyone mentioned Zebrahead's 'Rescue Me' yet?

medi01
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
If all these are so similar then why hasn't anyone mentioned Zebrahead's 'Rescue Me' yet?

...what song does that sound like???

Lord_Gabo
06-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Then Fix you is Rage and GRace.. ok?

then American Idiot (Rise and fall) Wake me up when September ends! (Rage and Grace)..

Then? Will must waiting september for something? :D

Tijs
06-23-2008, 03:24 PM
...what song does that sound like???

A bit like American Idiot, Rise and Fall and Doublewhiskeycokenoice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbv-Vo0o6wQ

medi01
06-23-2008, 03:31 PM

yeh i suppose the start is...rise and fall is more like American idiot than Rescue me is tho

IamSam
06-23-2008, 03:54 PM

That is a sweet song.

dff_punk
06-23-2008, 04:32 PM

That song is really nice indeed. And the chorus is offspring enough for me to love it :)

Cock Joke
06-23-2008, 04:37 PM
They should add all the new songs to the "on the song" poll. I'd vote for Rise and Fall a gazillion times until Dexter explained it.

Steph
06-23-2008, 04:58 PM

It's kinda like Dex is making fun of GD if it's really dedicated to BJ, haha makes me laugh:D
But what would be their reason for doin it?:confused:

Llamas
06-23-2008, 05:01 PM
It is amazing how similar those two songs do sound. I'm normally against all the comparing between the two bands, but this is inevitable. Rise and Fall is a better song, I think... partially cause I like Dexter's voice way more than Billie Joe's... but they really do sound soooo close.

I don't know if the song is mocking Green Day, but it does seem very intentional that they made the song sound similar. I bet eventually, a Green Day fan will throw a fit to the point where the Offspring has to comment on it, and maybe we'll find out what the deal is someday.

malibu43
06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=Blastero;1142057] Umm... the songs aren't really that similar, aside from some very superficial similarities. Green Day doesn't own a patent on clean guitar intros... [QUOTE]

No, Green Day doesn't own a patent on clean guitar intros, and after you listen to the song a couple times, you realize that they aren't really as similar as it might sound right off the bat.

BUT, I definitely think that your average casual music listener would hear that intro and think "my god, they ripped off Green Day!". Had the two songs been separated by a longer period of time, or the first not been so insanely successful, I think it would be an understandable thing to do. However, if it were me, I don't think I would have released something that sounds that similar to recent smash hit, just to avoid the chance that anyone would think that I was trying to rip something off or ride someone else's coat tails, even if I came up with it on my own and could see the differences.

There are a million other ways they could have started that song, but they went with that clean-ish-dirty-ish guitar intro. There is no way that Dexter and the boys didn't know that Rise and Fall would immediately be compared to American Idiot. So, like everyone else, I would be curious to hear what the thought process was. But, I bet we'll never know, so it's a moot point.

F@ BANKZ
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Does anybody seriously believe that The Offspring are going to name an album of their own work on a parody of a band that they seem to have nothing against?

Bodom J
06-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, it's possible. They were going to call an album "Chinese Democracy" afterall.

mgstatic91
06-23-2008, 08:11 PM

lmfao i cant believe you think rise and fall sounds like rescue me. please tell me, what is similar about the two?
i may have only listened to rise and fall about like 12 times, but i've heard rescue me way too many times to count. i fucking love the song. so i would know.
and i can play both on guitar, so if you're comparing their guitar parts then you're sure off on that

Jesus
06-24-2008, 03:58 AM
And there is really no reason to think Dexter wrote it about Green Day. With some wishful thinking in a place where the same generic anti-Green Day sentiment runs rampant like this, sure, you can twist it that way, but there really isn't any evidence that Dexter harbors the same idiotic grudges against Green Day that your average "punk" guy does, seeing as how he's had the exact same grudges directed toward him in the past.

I don't know if the song is mocking Green Day, but it does seem very intentional that they made the song sound similar. I bet eventually, a Green Day fan will throw a fit to the point where the Offspring has to comment on it, and maybe we'll find out what the deal is someday.

"About" doesn't mean that it's mocking them or that the intention is negative. Dexter usually doesn't write autobiographical either. He usually tells stories from a characters perspective to make a point.

For me the song appears to be about someone that has reached success or the top and has basically people (critics/old "fans"/analysts) waiting for them to fail and when they do they'll gladly make them come down hard and rip them apart. Whether it's in music, movies or basically every day life with exists out of success and failures. The Offspring have been in that spot with Smash and Americana. So I can see Dexter with his well uhm strange sense of humor and irony thinking; wouldn't it be cool if we could use some music to get this point across. Green Day are in that spot now, so lets use something that sounds a bit similar! This doesn't mean that Dexter himself wants them to fail or see them fall.

RageAndLov
06-24-2008, 04:59 AM
first i thought this was just bullshit, but now when i've been looking deeper into the song, it may actually be true. who knows? (the offspring does though).

But i dont think offspring will ever tell the truth about that song (if the truth is that the song is about green day).
it is like the song "Jackass" by Green Day: It is a song about how much blink 182 sucked, but the band never really said it clearly that it was about blink 182, even though they hinted about it very much. i think the same thing will happen in offspring's case. i dont think offspring wants to get in a fight with green day