PDA

View Full Version : The Timeline of Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

drex878
06-21-2008, 01:32 PM
With the new album, and many new fans either registering or simply viewing these boards, I've decided to make a complete timeline of RAFRAG. Hope you guys enjoy, and let me know if you want me to add anything.

Originally Posted by Dexter Holland

"People think of greatest hits like, 'Oh, does that mean you're going into acting?'" he says, referring to the compilation album that came out in 2005. "But I really want to put out another record next year. All the new songs feel pretty good."

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/offspring_bring_the_hits.html

2005:

2006:

This Week (Dexter)
03/22/06

Laying low this week. Recovering. Playing guitar. Writing songs.

In Between (Dexter)
06/13/06

A lot of people have been asking me lately, ‘what‘s up with the band?‘. I guess they think that if you‘re not on tour, you‘re not doing anything. But as savvy people like you know, no, that‘s not the case. We‘re putting a record together right now, which means we‘re writing songs and getting ready to record. Noodles, Greg K and I (Atom is on tour) get together regularly, where we sit Indian-style in a circle, in a dark room, with a lava lamp in between us, and work on songs. Then we all talk about our feelings.

All right, that‘s not true either. But, the bottom line is we‘re working on songs (we‘re probably a little over halfway), and meeting with some awesome record producers. I would tell you who they are, but I‘m not sure that I could trust all of you to keep it a secret. So we‘ll just have to leave it to your imaginations. Got some new graphics in the works too, so check back here to see all the new stuff. I think we‘ll be recording the new record in a couple months.

So there you go, you got the official scoop before anyone else.

All right, so let‘s leave you guys with something to talk about… What do you think the next record should be called? Go ahead and post, and remember, we check the BBS! Especially Noodles.

Got Some New Stuff (Dexter)
08/18/06

We‘re finally demo-ing new songs. Yep. Maybe it seems like nothing has been going on with us but we‘ve actually been really busy writing. We didn‘t want to rush into the studio just to record demos for the sake of doing something, so we‘ve really taken our time getting the songs together first. Like, making sure the songs kick ass before we even try it in the studio.

So that‘s what we‘ve been doing, not rushing and kicking ass! Yeah right ok, but I‘m really stoked with the way things are going. We‘ve demo‘d five songs so far and I think it‘s the best stuff we‘ve done in a long time.

I know the next question is, what does it sound like. Well I don‘t want to compare it to one of our other records or anything, but think guitar, lots of guitar, energy, lots of energy, and good songs. Simple right.

We‘ll keep you posted….

Ps Trivia for you guys…there was one outtake from Splinter. It was called ‘Pass Me By‘. We really liked it, and all, it was sort of heavy and we just decided to hold off on releasing it. So take that one straight to the BBS!

Recording Begins
(11/16/06)

The Offspring have begun work with producer Bob Rock on their next album. Armed with a fistful of demos, the band have entered a Hollywood, CA studio to begin recording their first album of new material since 2003‘s Splinter. Look for it to be released in 2007 with a world tour to follow.

Recording (Dexter)
11/27/06

We‘ve started recording for the new record. It feels great to be back in the studio, doing some new tunes. This time around we‘re working with Bob Rock, who‘s an awesome producer, and the vibe is great in the studio. We started writing songs this past summer and we demo‘d about 13 songs. We may not use all of those for the record, but we‘re recording a good bit of all that stuff.

So the next question, I‘m sure, is, when will it be out? And what does it sound like? Well, it‘ll be out when it‘s done and it sounds like the Offspring!

Look for it to come out sometime in the spring probably.

We‘ll keep you posted how things are going…

Recording - Week 3 (Dexter)
12/05/06

Working on guitar tracks this week. Really happy with the way guitars are sounding. So far the songs we‘ve done have all been straight up guitar songs, no keyboards or samples or anything. We didn‘t really set out to do it that way, it‘s just sort of turning out that way. We‘ve got eight tracks that we‘re working on right now. Most likely all of them will be on the record. We‘ll be writing more over the holidays and record those ideas early next year.

Dexter

drex878
06-21-2008, 01:33 PM
2007:

Summer Sonic Festival In Japan Confirmed
(03/14/07)

The Offspring will be one of the performers at this year‘s Summer Sonic Festival in Japan.

8/11/07 Osaka, Japan – Summer Sonic Festival
8/12/07 Tokyo, Japan – Summer Sonic Festival

Maui, HI (Dexter)
03/16/07

Hey guys,
We‘ve been pretty busy working on the new record. I‘m back in Maui now with Bob Rock – he lives here. We‘re in the studio recording a couple more songs for the record. So far we‘ve got 10 songs done, Noodles was here but just went back home for a bit. I‘m laying down vocals now. I don‘t want to tell you guys too much because the record is still taking shape.

Late,

Dexter

Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
05/08/07

Well let‘s see what‘s new? Still working on the record over here. Most of
the music is recorded and we‘re working on vocals now. We counted up the
other day, we actually demo‘d 23 songs for this CD. Wow! That‘s a new
record for us. Of those we‘ve recorded 13. Will they all be on the album?
I don‘t know! We‘ll see how they turn out. Maybe we‘ll cut one, or maybe
we‘ll write a couple more. Because we‘re artists we‘re flaky like that.

What else – looking forward to playing in Japan in August…you guys going?
We‘ve played the Summer Sonic festival before, it‘s a great time and a great
crowd. And, I wouldn‘t be surprised if there was a third show added….

05/11/07

Hey, I‘ve read a few things out there where it has been suggested that some of the songs on our new record might be older material, like outtakes or re-recordings of old songs.

So I just wanted to let you know that the songs we‘ve recorded for our upcoming CD are all completely new. We‘re not putting any songs on the new record that were previously recorded. That would be cheating, wouldn‘t it?

05/18/07

Writing lyrics….finished another one today. This one‘s gonna be
called ‘Takes Me Nowhere‘....

06/12/07

Recording Takes a Long Time

Working hard, it‘s just taking awhile to get everything right. Every new part you record, you‘re trying out different stuff to get just the right guitar, microphone, amp, whatever…I can tell you though, the couple songs we just finished sound like a friggin‘ freight train…trying to get finished recording in the next month or so…we‘ll keep you posted.

What do you think of this line?

Though I try to break free
The cycle breaks me
Am I ever gonna see the light?

That is just teasing you I know.

Tokyo Date Added
(06/27/07)

A new Offspring tour date has been added in Tokyo, Japan on Tuesday, August 14 at Studio Coast. The band will be playing Summer Sonic After with MXPX and more bands to be announced. Tickets go on sale July 8th.

07/18/07

Just got back from Hawaii, recording at Bob‘s. Finished two more songs. Stoked on how they turned out. Hope you like em too. Recording back in OC now.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8cb96ef795.jpg

The Offspring have a new drummer
(07/27/07)

Pete Parada has been chosen to be The Offspring‘s new drummer. The band‘s first shows with Pete will be at the Summer Sonic festival in Japan this August. Pete is a killer drummer and has spent time in Saves The Day, Face to Face, and Alkaline Trio.

In the meantime, The Offspring are continuing to put the finishing touches on a new album, no release date yet. Josh Freese (NIN, Vandals, Devo) has recorded all the drum tracks for the new record.

Atom Willard is now focusing full time on his band, Angels & Airwaves, and remains a friend of the band.

08/01/07

Dear Offspring Fans,

Atom and I wanted to drop you guys a little note, since we know people have been talking about why Atom has left the drummer seat for The Offspring.

The simple truth is that Atom had been working on a few of his own projects during our down time, including Angels & Airwaves but other things too. We think that‘s great. Unfortunately, in order for him to see those things through he isn‘t left with enough time to devote to future Offspring stuff. It was a tough choice, but we understand.

Atom‘s been a great drummer for us and we‘re sure Pete will be great too!

Dexter and Atom

Offspring finish up Japan's Summer Sonic Festival
(08/14/07)

The Offspring finished playing the third of their shows at this year‘s Summer Sonic Festival in Japan. The shows took place in Osaka and Tokyo, with an extra third club show taking place earlier tonight. The festival was attended this year by over 100,000 people. The shows mark the band‘s first live performances in over a year.

“It felt great to be back in the saddle again,“ said band guitarist Noodles, who speaks mostly in cliches. “It is what it is, you know what I‘m saying? That‘s all she wrote.”

The band returns to California to continue work on their upcoming studio album with producer Bob Rock.

Offspring plays club gig
08/15/07

The Offspring played a sold out show tonight at Tokyo‘s Studio Coast club. The extra show was added after the band played the Summer Sonic Festival last weekend.

For pictures of tonight‘s show, click here. (http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/galleryContents?year=2007&category=433891)

The band played material from most of their albums, as well as a few songs not often heard live. For a set list of the show, click here. (http://media.offspring.com/ext_media/studiocoast.html)

The band also debuted a new song called ‘Hammerhead‘. The song is one of 13 new songs being completed for the Offspring‘s new album, which is as yet untitled.

Finally, the band was thrilled to have as their guest tonight, international competitive eating star Takeru Kobayashi.

The Offspring To Headline Australia’s Soundwave Festival
(11/12/07)

The Offspring return to Australia this February and March to headline the Soundwave Festival.

2/23/08 Brisbane
2/24/08 Sydney
2/29/08 Melbourne
3/1/08 Adelaide
3/3/08 Perth

Happy Holidays from The Offspring (Dexter)
12/24/07

From Noodles, Greg K, Pete and myself, here‘s to wishing you and yours a merry Christmas, a happy Hannukah, a phat Kwanzaa, a gnarly noel, or whatever your family history has predetermined for you to have this season. May your glass never empty and your hangovers be short-lived!

We‘re taking a quick break from recording right now to be with our families. Wanna know what‘s going on with the new record? Well, I‘ve got two lyrics to do, a couple more to sing, and various musical tweaks and fixes to get done. Then we‘ll be ready to mix.

We haven‘t announced a release date yet because we‘re just not quite close enough to know when we‘ll be finished. We want to thank all our fans who have been so patient, and we want you to know that we‘ve been in the studio nearly every day now for quite awhile working hard to make a great record.

We‘ll see you in 2008!
Love,
Dexter.

drex878
06-21-2008, 01:34 PM
2008:

No News (Dexter)
01/14/08

Yes, we‘re still recording. We‘re in the studio right now. But everybody wants news, right? Even when there‘s no news? Well, okay, even though there‘s nothing new to report, we came up with some news… please enjoy our not-really-news newspost.

Orange County, CA (Noodles)
03/07/08

Well, the Australian Fat Lady has sung and we‘ve set sail off into the sunset, or maybe the sunrise actually, I‘m not sure which. We‘re all pretty knackered after all the travel, but you know what they say. Two beers and Bob‘s your uncle. When in Rome. The shows went off without a hitch and all the audiences ruled. Like shootin‘ fish in a barrel only more fun and without the smell. Another new song that we played in Melbourne is up on youtube, and yes, that‘s me jumping the shark during the bridge. No brain, no pain, I always say. We‘d like to thank all our friends from the Land Down Under for being so hospitable and for treating us to such a great time. As Antipodes once said, “It‘s not the heart of the matter, rather it‘s the matter of the heart.” Amen, Brother.

Maui, HI (Dexter)
04/09/08

Greetings everyone,
After over a year of recording, I‘m happy to announce that we are finishing up our CD this week. We‘ve worked really hard on this and I think it‘s some of the best stuff we‘ve ever done.

Our album will be called ‘Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace‘ and will be released on June 17.

Our first single is called ‘Hammerhead‘. Listen for it on the radio starting in early May.

We have some shows coming up around the world as well. We are all looking forward to headlining the Download Festival in the UK and we will have more shows being added too, so check back here for more tour dates.

It‘s on!

Dexter.

New Album Track-listing
(04/24/08)

The official track-listing to the new album Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace is listed below. Produced by Bob Rock. First single “Hammerhead.” Album available June 17 in North America, June 16 in Europe. More information to come.

1) Half-Truism
2) Trust In You
3) You‘re Gonna Go Far, Kid
4) Hammerhead
5) A Lot Like Me
6) Takes Me Nowhere
7) Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
8) Nothingtown
9) Stuff Is Messed Up
10) Fix You
11) Let‘s Hear It For Rock Bottom
12) Rise And Fall

Hammerhead Single Artwork Unveiled
(04/30/08)

Check out the new single artwork for “Hammerhead.”

Click Here (http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/fullsize?imagePos=1&gallery=436145)

Free "Hammerhead" Download Available Now
(05/05/08)

“Hammerhead,” the first single from The Offspring‘s new album Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace, can be downloaded now for free HERE (http://www.offspring.com/widget.). Go get it!

RFRG Album Cover Revealed
(05/12/08)

Click HERE (http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/fullsize?imagePos=1&gallery=436890) to view the Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace album cover image.

New Album And Music Video To Premiere Online
(06/06/08)

Get ready for two big premieres from The Offspring this Monday, June 9…

Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace:
Listen to the entire new album this Monday, June 9 at 11:00 AM EST exclusively on the band‘s new iMeem site: http://www.imeem.com/theoffspring

“Hammerhead“ Music Video:
The music video for The Offspring‘s new single “Hammerhead” will premiere exclusively on IGN.com this Monday, June 9 at 4:00 PM PST (approx.). The video was directed by Teqtonik and features the creative team‘s unique animation and style.

“Hammerhead” will also be featured on the upcoming Madden 09 soundtrack.

Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace available June 17.

Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace Out Now
(06/17/08)

The band‘s new album, Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace, featuring the single “Hammerhead,” was released today in the United States and Canada amidst the worldwide release of the album. Follow the links below to purchase and check it out.

ITUNES
AMAZON.COM - CD
AMAZON.COM - DOWNLOAD

Track-listing:
1. Half-Truism
2. Trust In You
3. You‘re Gonna Go Far, Kid
4. Hammerhead
5. A Lot Like Me
6. Takes Me Nowhere
7. Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
8. Nothingtown
9. Stuff Is Messed Up
10. Fix You
11. Let‘s Hear It For Rock Bottom
12. Rise And Fall

Produced by Bob Rock.

A special gatefold vinyl edition of the album with access to a free download of the album is available alongside the traditional CD and download.

Also, today Epitaph Records reissues 1992’s Ignition and 1994’s Smash digitally re-mastered from the original tapes, and Smash features a new 24 page booklet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about it, folks. Hope you enjoyed it. The new album had a long, exciting making, lasting over 2 years. Some of us here have been tracking this album since day 1, and others may have just heard of The Offspring. All in all, it was a fun journey for the band, as well as their many fans.

Thank you, Offspring for another great album, and many years to come.

F@ BANKZ
06-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I remember thinking the band didn't update us very often, but looking at that I suppose I cannot argue anymore.

Oh, positivity is boring!

ad8
06-21-2008, 01:54 PM
So thats what weve been doing, not rushing and kicking ass! Yeah right ok, but Im really stoked with the way things are going. Weve demod five songs so far and I think its the best stuff weve done in a long time.
I can't help but think that these 5 songs are the first 5 songs(or at least the first 4 + another)...
Anyway, thanks for the timeline! I lol'd at the part with the dark room and the lava lamp in between the guys:D

dff_punk
06-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Holy fuck, I know some of them by heart.

The Search Button
06-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Ah! It's so good to remember the past. Thanks for that.

Now let me think what I'll have to do tomorrow.

Rutegard
06-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I remember thinking the band didn't update us very often, but looking at that I suppose I cannot argue anymore.

Oh, positivity is boring!

deep inside...they love us eheh

Jaded skies
06-21-2008, 02:05 PM
speaking of pass me by...

when we gonna here that? B side, maybe? Please?

drex878
06-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Nice to know you guys like this. Hah, it took a while. Mods, is this sticky worthy? :rolleyes:

Rutegard
06-21-2008, 02:09 PM
speaking of pass me by...

when we gonna here that? B side, maybe? Please?

yeah.....well....let's wait....we got RFRG now...it helps waiting for new stuff....YES WE WANT NEW STUFF

we are always hungry! right? lol

Jaded skies
06-21-2008, 02:11 PM
yeah.....well....let's wait....we got RFRG now...it helps waiting for new stuff....YES WE WANT NEW STUFF

we are always hungry! right? lol
hahha i know i know, i shouldnt complain. But they already have it. its not like they have to write it still.

But now that i think about it, B-side might not be such a good idea. To me it sounded single-worthy.

jacknife737
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Nice job! You may wish to add this, the first time i saw Dex mention the album was in 2004, when the band was prepping the Greatest Hits.

"People think of greatest hits like, 'Oh, does that mean you're going into acting?'" he says, referring to the compilation album that came out in 2005. "But I really want to put out another record next year. All the new songs feel pretty good."

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/offspring_bring_the_hits.html

drex878
06-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Will do, jacknife737. :)

randman21
06-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Shit, when I look back, I think "Damn, has it really been two years?" I've only been an Offspring superfan since a little while before these updates, but I remember each and every one of them. It's cool to think about. Thanks for listing them!

bouncingcoles
06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
do you have a fucking life?

Conspiracyof1000
06-21-2008, 07:26 PM
do you have a fucking life?

Maybe it's his day off?

Ryder1234
06-21-2008, 07:39 PM
wow. i remember in 2006 going "i cant wait until spring next year!". and then it just kept getting delayed over and over again. remember talking about how releasing an album at xmas is cluster fuck? :D

Jesus
06-22-2008, 03:41 AM
Thanks for doing this. Hammerhead was written in the summer of 2006 . That was in some recent interview. They really took their time!