PDA

View Full Version : Mathcore anyone?

OffspringHead
06-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Anyone into Mathcore? I think it's pretty stupid but Its becoming pretty popular among the metal scene. I like Psyopus and See You Next Tuesday but thats it.

icklebabygremlin
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
nah...i give it a listen, it was that something escape plan?

not really for me

nieh
06-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Wasn't there a thread about this a couple weeks ago?

Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity = yay, though I'm not thrilled by their later stuff. It took a while for this to grow on me.
Horse the Band = yay
I've recently come around a little on Converge and Coalesce and am gonna give Botch another try. I tried getting into the Locust again recently as well but wasn't really thrilled by them. Maybe it's just the album I was listening to (I hear they change a bit), but it sounds like every member of the band was doing the exact same thing as everyone else, which with all the herky-jerky stop and go stuff is pretty impressive that they were able to keep in time, but didn't really do much for me.

Andy
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure, but I do remember Daughters being labelled as mathcore. If that's so, then sure it's alright.

OffspringHead
06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Idk much about it. I just started listening to it a few days ago. I'm in love with it though.

WebDudette
06-26-2008, 12:05 AM
If Daughters is labeled mathcore, then a few other bands I listen probably are as well. So yeah, I probably like it.

I actually like Dillinger Escape Plan and what I have heard of Horse The Band as well.

However, I do not like most metal at all.

Okay I looked it up and apparently it is a genre I am pretty familiar with. Some Girls, the Locust, Das Oath, xbxrx and, Head Wound City. To a lesser extent Fear Before the March of Flames, The Fall of Troy, Protest the Hero, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, The Human Abstract, and Heavy Heavy Low Low.

Endymion
06-26-2008, 12:37 AM
pilz, the mathcore of yore was math rock (think turing machine, battles, lightning bolt) but hardcore. then people started playing metal with some degree of skill, and that got called mathcore too.

WebDudette
06-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Haha, so essentially mathcore is good metal?

Endymion
06-26-2008, 01:21 AM
that's my opinion, anyway.

mathcore really is a terrible label, anyway. half the bands with it have no metal influence whatsoever and yet it's still consisidered a metal subgenre. hell, for some reason head wound city is considered mathcore yet the band was started explicitly as a skate/thrash band (though i suppose they sound very similar to everything else jp does).

WebDudette
06-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Head Wound City are the band that were credited with a semi-hardcore revival thing back when pop-punk was exploding right?
edit: Swing Kids, never mind.

Anyway, I'm friends with a lot of metal kids. They can't stand hardcore, I can't stand metal, and everyone else can't tell the difference.