PDA

View Full Version : Trust in You - Word Meanings

Camilamazed
06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm back! I need some help with my translations.

Thank you in advance.

1) "I am the rock that pushes away"

Does this mean something like a turnin point? As if there is something avoiding you from going any further so you have to change your way? Or does it mean that you're the one that wanders off your way?

2) "I'd look in your face and spit in your eye"

Does this mean the person would just start saying what he thinks or is "spit in your eye" some kind of expression?

I googled the sentence and I got a link for the freedictionary but I could only see a meaning for spit.

brothadave79
06-22-2008, 02:19 PM
1) "I am the rock that pushes away"

I'm pretty sure he means he's a rock, unmoving and unchanging. He pushes away anyone who tries to help out of pride.

2) "I'd look in your face and spit in your eye"

The character faces the person trying to help him only to reject and insult them to save his own pride (spitting in someone's face is pretty damn disrespectful whether he means it as a metaphor or not).

Ryder1234
06-22-2008, 02:19 PM
who didnt see this coming :p

well, i wouldnt know but i think youre close one "i am the rock that pushes away"

LowEndLem
06-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Better question.

What the hell does Quo Modo mean?

brothadave79
06-22-2008, 02:32 PM
It means "How?" or "In what way?"

Camilamazed
06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Thank you, guys.

The pride thing you said made that first part clearer for me.

Just making sure:

Pull me up= Bring me back, like in his faith?

Anyways, is this song about God or something like that or just faith in people?

Free?
06-22-2008, 02:41 PM
I think it's about faith in people. This song is pretty much about me and more or less about everyone.

brothadave79
06-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Thank you, guys.

The pride thing you said made that first part clearer for me.

Just making sure:

Pull me up= Bring me back, like in his faith?

Anyways, is this song about God or something like that or just faith in people?

Yeah, he needs to be pulled up out of his mindset. I think the song is just about faith in others, starting with one person. But, Dexter's always just ambiguous enough for people to see the songs the way they want to.

Camilamazed
06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah, this God thing is actually not my idea. A friend of mine asked in the wordreference forum what the meaning for quo modo was and a person, apparently not a Offpring, said something about God.

Than I started looking at the song this way..

disclaimer_07
06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
LOL, I just saw that thread on WordReference, I have to admit I'm also a member there, but I'm not gonna tell ya my username, I'll just say that I have more than 1,500 posts for the time being ;D

F@ BANKZ
06-22-2008, 05:51 PM
I consider it to be about God.

One thing on "I look in your face and spit in your eye":
If you look at the verse

Too proud to beg
Too stubborn to try
I’d look in your face
And spit in your eye

"I look in your face" is linked with "Too proud to beg"- a literal example of it.
Similarly "And spit in you eye" is linked with "Too stubborn to try".
The sentence is not just about one action, but shows that he has conflicting principals- if he were proud he would not spit in somebody's face. Do tell me if this has been poorly explained.

Hypodermic_89
06-23-2008, 04:20 AM
I am the one, your help I'll refuse - Pretty self-explanatory
Your offering hand just set off the fuse - Someone tries to help and that just pisses him off.
I am the rock that pushes away - Nothing can budge him, and he rejects everything
I gave up tomorrow to spite today - He does bad things and doesn't care about the consequences.

Too proud to beg, too stubborn to try - Self-explanatory
I'd look in your face and spit in your eye - Rejects help once again

But I'm willing to find what's really inside - Self-explanatory
To show I am strong enough

To Trust In You [x3]
Pull me up - He's ASKING for help..
Quo Modo - Shadow to light - He wants to go from bad to good
Pull me up cause I am ready - He's ready to change

I am the one who blames only you - Blames someone else for something he did..?
The flame in my eyes now blackens my view - His hatred makes him hate people without even knowing them.. Shallow hatred, in other words.
I am the one who wanders alone - He doesn't want/need anyone
Darkness inside blocks how youíve shone - His constant rejection makes the other persons attempts to help seem pointless.

Who tied the other end of my rope? - He wants to know how he became what he is.
I want to move on, I want to have hope - Self-explanatory

So Iím willing to change
Iím going to try
To show I am strong enough to

Trust in you...

And that's basically what I think the song is about.

RageAndLov
06-23-2008, 06:29 AM
I totally agree with you hypodermic_89!
It makes sence!
I don't think it has anything to do with God, just himself. Stubbornly proud man who actually needs help, whether or not he acknowledges that.

Camilamazed
06-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Hypodermic that's a great interpretation.

Would guy mind keep on helping me with word meanings?

"You're gonna go far, kid"

1) "And as you get back into line; A mob jumps to their feet"

Line as queue or as if this person is acting right?
Mob as in crowd? In the song is Mob related to the herd?

2) "And no no even knew; It as really only you"

Does it mean that no one knew he was the only one who didn't have a chance or that someone didn't have the chance and he was the only one who knew?

3) The meaning of "steal away" in the song is:

Steal as in stealing something that is not yours or leave a place quietly without anyone knowing as it says in this dictionary http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=steal.away*1+0&dict=P

=)

The Search Button
06-25-2008, 07:19 AM
The name of this thread should be changed to:

"The never ending existential doubts of Camilamazed-sponsored by TheOffspring lyrics"

Free?
06-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Nah, only "Camila's started guide to the RAFRAG song meanings"

Camilamazed
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Search button, you would help instead of being funny. At least I'm doing something useful, specially for fans. =P

Free, I don't want SONG meanings. I need WORD meanings to translate the songs into Portuguese. There are some sentences that don't make sence, so I just need some help with the language.

The Search Button
06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Search button, you would help instead of being funny. At least I'm doing something useful, specially for fans. =P

Autch. Thats gotta hurt. :)

Just the fact that I registered myself in this forum under the name of The Search Button should be my portion on the community service around here.

As for the words meaning. I have no clue. I don't even bother. Really. Try it. It's better.

brothadave79
06-25-2008, 11:26 AM
1) "And as you get back into line; A mob jumps to their feet"

Line as queue or as if this person is acting right?
Mob as in crowd? In the song is Mob related to the herd?

2) "And no no even knew; It as really only you"

Does it mean that no one knew he was the only one who didn't have a chance or that someone didn't have the chance and he was the only one who knew?

3) The meaning of "steal away" in the song is:

Steal as in stealing something that is not yours or leave a place quietly without anyone knowing as it says in this dictionary http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=steal.away*1+0&dict=P

=)

1) The kid is an instigator. He says the right things to manipulate people to get a response from them. The line he rejoins is where the masses are, the same group as the "herd" and the "mob." He rejoins it unnoticed.

2) After the confusion and fuss that he created, nobody realized it was really just one person's acts and rumors that started such an uproar.

3)The dictionary is correct.

Stylie
07-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I thought I could go deeply into the lyrics ('caus I have never done that before), and I automaticly began with Trust In You, wich is such a great song. And now that I understand the meaning of it too, it's even better to listen at.

So I would guess that the song is generally about faith/trust (as someone already said), that the person in the song rejected the help he could get at the beginning (did/does he have some kind of problems?), but deep inside wants to change it and 'trust in you'.

Hypodermic_89, that was a great "interpretation", as miss Camilamazed said.
I agree.
But, "Darkness inside blocks how youíve shone"...
I don't understand the last word, but I think I understand the meaning. (?)

My favourite verse in this song is this ones:
"Too proud to beg
Too stubborn to try
Iíd look in your face
And spit in your eye"

and

"Who tied the other
End of my rope?
I want to move on
I want to have hope

So Iím willing to change
Iím going to try
To show I am strong enough to"

And don't laugh at me if I'm wrong about this, 'caus I'm norwegian and it's not just THAT easy to get the meaning. :P

drummerbecca
07-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Shone is the past tense of shine, but I always thought Dex pronounced it strangely, presumably to make it fit in the song a bit better. I guess it could also be the fact that I'm British and we just pronounce it differently over here. I think the line basically means that whatever has caused the person to become the way they are, i.e pushing everyone away etc, has changed them completely and they are no longer recognisable as the person they were before - a person who used to "shine".
I probably haven't explained that very well. I'm way beyond tired. I'll no doubt look at it later and question what the heck I was on at the time, but yeah, I think that's basically it...

Stylie
07-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Shone is the past tense of shine, but I always thought Dex pronounced it strangely, presumably to make it fit in the song a bit better. I guess it could also be the fact that I'm British and we just pronounce it differently over here. I think the line basically means that whatever has caused the person to become the way they are, i.e pushing everyone away etc, has changed them completely and they are no longer recognisable as the person they were before - a person who used to "shine".
I probably haven't explained that very well. I'm way beyond tired. I'll no doubt look at it later and question what the heck I was on at the time, but yeah, I think that's basically it...
O, I understand. ^^