PDA

View Full Version : Best of 2008 So Far!

Jakebert
06-23-2008, 04:32 PM
So, we're around 6 months into 2008, and if my math is correct, that is around halfway into the year. So this is a good time to stop and reflect over your favorite albums of 2008 so far, and maybe even look back at this thread during the annual end of the year thread for funsies.

Also, feel free to talk about albums that are yet to be released that you're looking forward to.

1.) Sun Kil Moon- April
2.) R.E.M.- Accelerate
3.) The Mountain Goats- Heretic Pride
4.) Xiu Xiu- Women as Lovers
5.) The Magnetic Fields- Distortion
6.) Bob Mould- District Line
7.) Steven Malkmus and the Jicks- Real Emotional Trash
8.) Destroyer- Trouble in Dreams
9.) Nada Surf- Lucky
10.) The Tallest Man on Earth- Shallow Grave

So far, it's been a really solid year, and there are still a lof of albums that have already come out that I haven't gotten around to listen to yet.

As far as what I'm looking forward to, the Willie Nelson/Wynton Marsalis album sounds interesting, but that's about it. The new Green Day album probably won't be out this year, and the David Bazan solo album is 2009 as well. But some stuff may surprise me, so who knows.

Yatesy
06-23-2008, 04:38 PM
1. Meshuggah - obZen
2. Pendulum - In Silico
3. R.E.M. - Accelerate
4. Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
5. Genghis Tron - Board Up The House

Those are just the albums I've listened to, there might be others I haven't listened to but but wouldn't say it's been the best year of music.

jacknife737
06-23-2008, 05:19 PM
So 2008 seems to be shaping up to be the year of the tru punx for me.

My Highlights…
The Offspring - RAFRAG (obviously)
No Use For A Name – The Feel Good Record of the Year.
Anti-Flag – Bright Lights of America
Pennywise –Reason to Believe
Sloan - Parallel Play
Millencolin-Machine 15

The Second Tier….
Goldfigner – Hello Destiny
Weezer – Red Album

The Misses…
Foxboro Hot Tubs – Stop Drop And Roll
Danko Jones – Never Too Loud

What’s Next…
Alkaline Trio – Agony and Irony
Metallica – TBA
Less Then Jake - GNV FLA

JohnnyNemesis
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
I wait til the new Ratatat comes out to make any definitive statements on the year.

The only non-chiptune stuff I got this year was the new Offspring, Gnarls Barkley, Pennywise, and Coburn albums, all of which are good in various ways.

BREAK
06-23-2008, 06:04 PM
She & Him - Volume One
The Mae Shi - HLLLYH
Gregor Samsa - Rest
Man Man - Rabbit Habits
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
Jucifer - L'Autrichienne

Shitty year we're having.

Endymion
06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
the mae shi, man man, experimental dental school, alas alak alaska, new bloods, destroy tokyo, and the stump anthology.

i awate the little teeth, afternoon brother and battlehooch full lengths with bated breath!

Llamas
06-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Offspring and Alanis.

The only other 2008 albums I've bought were Shawn Mullins and Nada Surf. Both were okay.

Wasn't aware NUFAN put out an album... if it's like Keep em Confused, I'm not really interested... I'll check it out, hope they returned to something a little more unique like More Betterness or Hard Rock Bottom.

coke_a_holic
06-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Loved:
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride
Why? - Alopecia
The Mai Shi - HLLLYH

Really Liked:
Man Man - Rabbit Hats
Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster
The Loved Ones - Build And Burn

Eagerly Awaiting:
Bomb The Music Industry! - Scrambles
Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins

JohnnyNemesis
06-23-2008, 06:49 PM
New stuff from The Faint in August too. Yummy!

coke_a_holic
06-23-2008, 07:00 PM
gdgaskfakf YES.

Cock Joke
06-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

coke_a_holic
06-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Whoa, I just listened to it for the second time, and The Mars Volta's The Bedlam In Goliath is really not bad. I actually find myself getting into a few songs. Damn.

Shearwater's Rook is okay, but no Stage Names. Not that they're related to Okkervil River anymore, but still.

I'm going through and listening to my other 2008 cds that I've left unheard. There's still... quite a bit, actually: Crystal Castles, Flogging Molly, Justice, The Roots, and Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.

WebDudette
06-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Hmm... I honestly can't think of too many from this year.

Uhh... The Mae Shi - HLLLYH?

JohnnyNemesis
06-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Crystal Castles

Fucking (http://8bitpeoples.com/) HELL. (http://chipflip.wordpress.com/plagiarism/), my blood boils at their very name.

coke_a_holic
06-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Gah! Wtf! Douchebags.

Seriously, that shit is intolerable.

Short_Attention_Span
06-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Of the stuff that I have that's been released this year, I really liked:

REM - Accelerate
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
HiFi Handgrenades - Carry On (there's really nothing special about it, but it's just... fun)
Flobots - Fight With Tools

I hated the new Alkaline Trio. If you've never really sat down and listen to them before, Agony and Irony is NOT a good place to start. Apart from that, I've been getting more into older stuff (the Replacements, Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers, and some other bands that I can't really remember at the moment.)
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

0r4ng3
06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I personally think that (the leaked copy that I have of) Agony and Irony is actually pretty good. The only 2008 album that I'm even slightly disappointed of is the new Anti-Flag.

JohnnyNemesis
06-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Gah! Wtf! Douchebags.

Seriously, that shit is intolerable.

Agreed. Even worse is how incredibly smug they are about the whole thing. They also stole some album art from someone else and put it on t-shirts and shit. It's insane!

I found them interesting at a time too, but fuck. Intolerable sums it all up nicely.

Killiere
06-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Ha. One fav is obviously The Offspring's new Album. Love them but it took a few listens to catch on to this album. Love it now! Also you've gotta look at Airbourne... New album hitting high in the music industry re-inventing the hard rocking sounds of bands such as AC/DC and Motorhead. The music is awesome and the gigs they do rule... now just have to compare them to The Offspring. Sadly I haven't seen them before and was gutted that I couldn't make it Download :(.
Main 2 albums now for me are AC/DC's new album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Zebrahead's Phoenix^^ (haha I'm a sucker for their ska-punk)

Tis a great year peeps!

SaiKYoU
06-24-2008, 11:11 AM
"RAFRAG" form the guys

"To lose a name" by "Unjust"

H1T_That
06-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I haven't really been blown away by anything in 2008 so far.

maplejet
06-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Disturbed's Indestructible and Offspring's Rise and Fall

Other interesting releases include R.E.M.'s Accelerate, Weezer's Red Album, and Opeth's Watershed.

The bombs of the year go out to literally every single overhyped indie folk release that has been overpraised by their legion of indie nerds. Fuck pitchfork.

Forza
06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, well. The albums by which I've been the most impressed this year are:

Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Sun Kil Moon - April
Madrugada - Madrugada
Offspring - Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
Ayreon - 01011001

Yatesy
06-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah, Opeth's new album is fantastic. Definitely one of their bests along with Blackwater Park & Damnation. Album of the year so far now.

coke_a_holic
09-27-2008, 04:03 PM
MEGABUMP!

The best album of 2008 so far is Okkervil River's The Stand-Ins. Holy shit. This was a great year for pretentious indie bullshit rock.

Which means it was a great year for me. Anyways, I'm still eagerly awaiting the new BTMI! record, and apparently Portugal. The Man has new stuff coming out, but if it's anything like Church Mouth, I will be bummed out.

Endymion
09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
i'm definitely loving Little Teeth - Child Bearing Man. darker my love's album 2 is also pretty damn good. i just found an albatross's new album 'the family album', and so far i like it.

jacknife737
09-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Not going to get into any mini-reviews until my "official list", however, several contenders for my top ten include....(and i'm forgetting a bunch)

The Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound
LaGrecia- On Parallels
Less Than Jake - GV FLA
The Offspring - RAFRAG
Loved Ones - Build and Burn
No Use For A Name - Feel Good Record Of The Year
Street Dogs - State of Grace
Mellincolin - Machine 15
Horrorpops - Kiss Kiss Kill Kill
Sloan - Parallel Play

"honourable mentions so far"
Goldfinger - Hello Destiny
Pinhead Gunpowder - West Side Highway 7 inch

"Contenders that i have yet to fully listen to"
Tom Gabel - Solo acoustic EP
Dillinger Four - Civil War

WebDudette
09-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Have Heart - Songs to Scream at the Sun
Verse - Aggression

Both are fantastic Hardcore albums. Blacklisted have a new album, its alright. Ceremony have a new album, I wouldn't recommend it.

Jakebert
09-28-2008, 08:13 AM
MEGABUMP!

The best album of 2008 so far is Okkervil River's The Stand-Ins. .

I disagree! Don't get me wrong, it's a great record, but The Tallest Man on Earth, Sun Kil Moon, and Sigur Ros all three made unfuckwithable records this year.

coke_a_holic
09-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Could you upload any of the three? I've never heard Sun Kil Moon or The Tallest Man On Earth.

Sigur Ros, I got Hvarf-Heim and Saeglopur, but never really got into either of them. Not really my thing, but I'd give the new record a shot, as I haven't tried listening to either since, like, January or February.

Jakebert
09-28-2008, 11:38 AM
I can get The Tallest Man on Earth in a little bit when my computer isn't being as much of a cockbucket.

nieh
09-29-2008, 06:05 PM
MEGABUMP!

The best album of 2008 so far is Okkervil River's The Stand-Ins. Holy shit. This was a great year for pretentious indie bullshit rock.

I dunno if it's the best, but it's very very good. I'm also in love with the new TV on the Radio album. It's a lot funkier/dancier/brighter than their other stuff has been for the most part.

Short_Attention_Span
09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
The Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound
Loved Ones - Build and Burn

Holy fuck, yes! I got the '59 Sound a couple of days ago, and I've been listening to it ever since then. And I liked the new Loved Ones too. I need to listen to it more, but I really liked what I heard.

I'm also going to add:

Look Mexico - Gasp Asp

I also can't wait for the new Dead to Me EP that's coming out in October...
________
Wellbutrin settlement information (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

coke_a_holic
09-29-2008, 07:25 PM
I dunno if it's the best, but it's very very good. I'm also in love with the new TV on the Radio album. It's a lot funkier/dancier/brighter than their other stuff has been for the most part.
I've been meaning to get it, but you upped it to Sendspace, and Sendspace's download limit means that I'm still trying to find a mediafire link. Gah.

djchopdogfresh
09-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Motley Crue - Saints of Los Angeles
The Offspring - RAFRAG
Juda Priest - Nostradamus
Alice Cooper - Along Came A Spider

jacknife737
09-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Holy fuck, yes! I got the '59 Sound a couple of days ago, and I've been listening to it ever since then. And I liked the new Loved Ones too. I need to listen to it more, but I really liked what I heard.

I'm also going to add:

Look Mexico - Gasp Asp

I also can't wait for the new Dead to Me EP that's coming out in October...

Man, don't get me started on Gaslight Anthem, i've been listening to them everyday since 59 Sound was released. It's a good chance it's going to be my record of the year. And i totally forgot about the new Dead to Me EP; i love those guys.

Jakebert
09-29-2008, 09:37 PM
It's been 8 months, and I'm still obsessed with Heretic Pride. Amazing album.

nieh
09-30-2008, 06:32 AM
I've been meaning to get it, but you upped it to Sendspace, and Sendspace's download limit means that I'm still trying to find a mediafire link. Gah.
Do you know any other sites that let you upload over 100 MB files? The zip I made is 101, though I may try to rar it instead and see if I can cram it down a little more.

It's been 8 months, and I'm still obsessed with Heretic Pride. Amazing album.
I finally listened to a little of that the other day and turned it off pretty quick. Not really my thing.

StayInTheHouseCarl
09-30-2008, 08:35 AM
I would also like to add NIN- the Slip

Endymion
09-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I finally listened to a little of that the other day and turned it off pretty quick. Not really my thing.

i think i listened to one track a couple months ago, but in any case i'm listening to that album right now and i'm most of the way through it and it's just not doing anything for me.

however, i saw this band Pillars & Tongues last night, and they are quite good.

coke_a_holic
09-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Heretic Pride < The Sunset Tree, but it's mostly the same sort of music, so if you're not really into it, it won't do much good.

Also, I got the new Genghis Tron cd last night. Cybergrind, as a genre, is funnier than anything else. I can't even tell if I like the music because it's drowned out by my laughter as the guy screams over drum machines and synthesizers. Dumb.

nieh
09-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Do you know any other sites that let you upload over 100 MB files? The zip I made is 101, though I may try to rar it instead and see if I can cram it down a little more.

Winrar wasn't able to get it below 101MB either so I just split it in half and an uploading them both to mediafire right now.

Part one (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=031c1bc6ace7d5dad2db6fb9a8902bda)
Part two (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=031c1bc6ace7d5dad2db6fb9a8902bda)

coke_a_holic
09-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Josh, I love you <33

I'm excited to hear it.

Jakebert
10-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Heretic Pride < The Sunset Tree, but it's mostly the same sort of music, so if you're not really into it, it won't do much good.

The Sunset Tree, in my opinion, is a fucking classic. Same goes for Tallahassee. I like the Mountain Goats best when it's a concept album because I love the way Darnielle does overlapping themes and ideas that carry on from song to song.