PDA

View Full Version : Confessions from a metalhead.....

Bodom J
06-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Hello, everyone. I've been viewing these boards off and on ever since it was active but just now registering because I feel that I need to say something. This could probably go in the album reviews thread but everyone in there was just bitching like a bunch of fucking 12 year olds so I figure this post would get lost, especially since I'm a new member who is making his first post with something very long. Before we start, a little about myself. I'm 25 years old. I'm a dude. I'm an hourly supervisor at walmart and I live in small town in middle Tennessee. I've also graduated from community college and currently attending a university. At any rate, I will get on with what I wanted to say which is basically just a music review and a place for me to bitch about wishy washy fans, something there seems to be lot on both this board and everywhere else...

I'm somewhat of a different kind of offspring fan. I don't much care for punk rock (heck, i don't even considering the offspring punk anyway), and metal is my favorite genre. I eat, sleep, and drink heavy metal. Old school, new school, death metal, black metal, doom metal, it's all good to me. Everything from Amorphis to Zyklon. If it's metal then I listen to it. But despite all that, The Offspring remains my favorite band, ever since I bought XNAY On The Hombre. Fuck, I even have a fucking offspring tattoo (the fire thingy from the cover of Conspriacy Of One, on my left shoulder).

Ignition still remains my favorite by them but this new one is right on it's heels. Much like a lot of metal bands (dream theater, opeth, etc), the offspring have become too big to please every fan they have now. I think it is really stupid to say things like, "this album isn't punk enough" when, quite simply, the offspring were never even punk. Their debut was probably their most punk but even still I wouldn't call it 100 percent punk rock. I'll go ahead and agree that Fix You is just an ok little ditty but every other song on this album rocks. The Offspring can't make ballads like Kristy, Are You Doing ok? I'm sorry, but they can because obviously they just did. To me, it's one of the best songs they have ever written. It's very honest and heartfelt and obviously Dexter went to a place he rarely goes to to write it. The subject matter wouldn't make much sense if it was a "punk" song anyway.

They have done ballads before. Jennifer Lost The War, Gone Away, Dead And Gone, Vultures, Dirty Magic, to name them. yeah, they might have been heavier or edgier than Kristy but they are no less ballads.

All in all, this is one of the most well rounded offspring records to date. The first 6 songs (Half Truism, Trust In You, You're Gonna Go Far, Kid Hammerhead, A Lot Like Me, Takes Me Nowhere) give you the typical faster paced offspring song with the next song, Kristy are you doing okay?" bringing out the diversity. Next two songs, Nothingtown and Stuff Messed Up are typical corny offspring with the stupid lyrics, but that's one of the reasons I love them. Fix You is another ballad and it's just not that good because it's just so long winded. If they didn't repeat the chorus for a third time (it's a little too long for a chorus of this nature) then it would have been a lot better. The last two tracks, Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom, and Rise And Fall, are the typical hard rock hitters that have been on the last few offspring records and that's ok with me because they are more than solid songs.

As for Rise And Fall sounding like green day, i just wish everyone would shut up. Bands can't sound like each other? Is that just wrong? Everything has been done, you would be hard pressed to find a band that doesn't borrow from someone else. I don't like green day and I've never even heard American Idiot aside from a few songs so, quite simply, I don't spend any time crying about how it might similar to this new offspring album. I'm willing to bet a lot of people have just jumped on the bandwagon and have been saying it sounds like it without actually knowing one way or the other. And if it does sound like it, who cares? If you like a song then you like a song. Stop being so judgmental and putting yourself on the cutting board just to try and convince yourself you do or do not like something.

A masterpiece of an album. I don't know if I'll ever post here again, as a few of you seem to crybabies and/or elitist assholes but I just felt the need to register and speak my mind, how little you may or may not care. If fellow offspring fans who are not dicks would like to talk contact me then, please, feel free to email me at somethingwicked83@yahoo.com

Any hate mail will be deleted and not replied to.

Little_Miss_1565
06-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Hope you stick around. Welcome to the boards :)

jacknife737
06-23-2008, 05:39 PM
More first posts should be like yours.

Welcome to the bbs, hope you pop back from time to time.

IamSam
06-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Brilliant post. Welcome to the boards!

Johnny Birdbrook
06-23-2008, 06:50 PM
yay welcome, i like metal too :D

may anybody tell which song dead and gone is??
i feel so dump right now since i am a huge offspring fan for such a long time xD

Ryder1234
06-23-2008, 06:56 PM
welcome to the boards, finally someone who didnt join just to bitch :).

but, im just wondering, they dont have a song called Dead and Gone, can you find out the actual name please?

Johnny Birdbrook
06-23-2008, 06:57 PM
oh.. so i am not a big loser-offspring-fan after all?
yay that's good news :D

leo3375
06-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Bienvenido! Most of us aren't elitists or crybabies (a lot of us are whiners, though) so don't let them discourage you. Excellent review and first post!

IamSam
06-23-2008, 07:07 PM
welcome to the boards, finally someone who didnt join just to bitch :).

but, im just wondering, they dont have a song called Dead and Gone, can you find out the actual name please?

Probably End of the Line...

Now that you are dead and gone...

yelloweyeyes
06-23-2008, 07:11 PM
I read most of your post, but I had to stop, because of the clusterfuck of text. At least you split them into paragraphs, but my eyes still got lost in your sea of text.

Cock Joke
06-23-2008, 07:16 PM
That was, in all honesty, the best review I've read about the album yet! Seriously!

Welcome to the board!

Bodom J
06-23-2008, 07:27 PM
yeah the song was end of the line..not did and gone. brain fart, offspring style.

Bodom J
06-23-2008, 07:28 PM
I read most of your post, but I had to stop, because of the clusterfuck of text. At least you split them into paragraphs, but my eyes still got lost in your sea of text.

you must have a hard time reading books, newspapers, anything:):D

yelloweyeyes
06-23-2008, 08:19 PM
you must have a hard time reading books, newspapers, anything:):D

Nope. I think its because this was white text on a black background. Also, its harder to read from a computer monitor than from a piece of paper.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
06-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Much respect..noob ;)

Short_Attention_Span
06-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Well put. You've really got to stick around. ;)
________
Blonde live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/blonde-girls/)

Conspiracyof1000
06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
It's people like you that make me feel bad for dissing all new guys.
Welcome to the boards. :D

WebDudette
06-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Dissing the new guys? You joined in Feb of '08.

In any case, a great first post. I don't even particularly like the Offspring but I agree with most of what you said.

Ryder1234
06-23-2008, 10:34 PM
yeah the song was end of the line..not did and gone. brain fart, offspring style.

ok then. i was thinking that.
cause didnt someone else call it that a bit back? everyone was trying to figure out what song it was?

Conspiracyof1000
06-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Dissing the new guys? You joined in Feb of '08.

In any case, a great first post. I don't even particularly like the Offspring but I agree with most of what you said.

I meant the guys who come on, post one thing, then leave. I'm hoping to stay here for a while.

Keep 'em Seperated
06-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Great review. Wish my first post was that good.

Drums beating in my Heart
06-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Great review, and he's right!

Rise And Fall is much much much better than American Idiot, so crybabys, stop cyring about it!!!

Jules69
06-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Much respect..noob ;)

Same!!! Thanks for being you!! I will also say stick around, even though I am new here too!! Oh, and I work at Target in california!! :D:cool:

Scottboy79
06-24-2008, 12:39 AM

How about your 'sea' of stupidity? Or your "clusterfuck" of "butt-fuckedness"?

Yep. That last one is my quote right there. Do you have anything to contribute to this fucking conversation? Or are you the cynical fuck that many of us wish we could run across as to make ourselves feel better about our lives as a result?

Wait. I think I know the answer. You wasted your time on calling out a genuine person that did nothing more than offer up his honest, human opinion, and attempted to exploit it as an opportunity for YOU to stand out.

As a result...you, my friend, are a douche.

I look forward to stomping your illogical ass into the ground through the rest of the summer.

Bitch.

-Scott

Budzy
06-24-2008, 01:56 AM
How about your 'sea' of stupidity? Or your "clusterfuck" of "butt-fuckedness"?

Yep. That last one is my quote right there. Do you have anything to contribute to this fucking conversation? Or are you the cynical fuck that many of us wish we could run across as to make ourselves feel better about our lives as a result?

Wait. I think I know the answer. You wasted your time on calling out a genuine person that did nothing more than offer up his honest, human opinion, and attempted to exploit it as an opportunity for YOU to stand out.

As a result...you, my friend, are a douche.

I look forward to stomping your illogical ass into the ground through the rest of the summer.

Bitch.

-Scott

lol

steady eddy
wateva trevor
idk just always wanted to say that

yeah i dont complete agree with u cos i do see some definite green dayish sounds in rise and fall but i respect ur opinion.
if they type that much writing just to express their opinion then ur inclined to respect it.
if it was "this album is gay" in 4 words or something then thats diff.
then B00M mutha fucka u aint neva gonna walk again.

Dead Kennedy
06-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Great review. Wish my first post was that good.

i think my first post was in green day thread, i was bitching how much i hate them.

BTW: welcome to the boards

Stylie
06-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Best first post, EVER.
Welcome to the boards!

Johnny Birdbrook
06-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Rise And Fall is much much much better than American Idiot, so crybabys, stop cyring about it!!!

almost to dump to hate

Stylie
06-24-2008, 06:09 AM

Yeah, I undertsand you...