PDA

View Full Version : Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace sounds like crap.

borgy
06-24-2008, 03:23 AM
Anyone else think so? Not the songs (i love the album), but the way it was recorded or mastered, the mix sounds muddy and the whole album sounds overly compressed and i dunno about you guys but i noticed distortions (not of the guitar variety) aka clipping on quite a few songs. Oh the drums also sound like crap to me (the way they were recorded).

I think this CD is another casualty of the loudness war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war) . What do you guys think? If anyone has the vinyl how does that sound? I'm thinking of buying it if it sounds better than the CD.

RageAndLov
06-24-2008, 03:53 AM
I HATE that loudness war!
when i'm listening to my mp3, i first listen to (for instance) All I Want, and after that song is finished i listen to (for instance) Genocide, and it is less loud than All I Want, and that enoys the shit out of me!!

That's the only reason for buying any remasters of any CD, to have the same loudness level as every other song

I didn't know that RAFRAG was one of those albums. But I know that Rancid's Rancid (2000) is louder than other albums.

Fucking bastards whose idea this was!

crrrN
06-24-2008, 04:20 AM
when i'm listening to my mp3, i first listen to (for instance) All I Want, and after that song is finished i listen to (for instance) Genocide, and it is less loud than All I Want, and that enoys the shit out of me!!

That's the only reason for buying any remasters of any CD, to have the same loudness level as every other song

I didn't know that RAFRAG was one of those albums. But I know that Rancid's Rancid (2000) is louder than other albums.

Did you ever considered the thought that you can edit the volume of each song you can possibly think of, yourself?

RageAndLov
06-24-2008, 04:26 AM
i know that of courseit is annoying to always fish up your mp3 from your pocket everytime it changes songs!
If i am lying on the bed, ready to sleep, i don't want to wake myself up all the time to adjust the volum..
you dig? :P

GunForHire
06-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Sounds fine to me.

Tip - most recent MP3 players include an option for 'Smart Volume' or something like that, which modifies the gain for each track on the fly so they're all at the same volume levels. No more quiet Pink Floyd getting blasted by loudass Green Day afterwards, for example.

medi01
06-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Anyone else think so?

i think you're and idiot if you think what you think

drex878
06-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Sounds? I like the way it tastes...

Rutegard
06-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Sounds? I like the way it tastes...

exactly!

and i really think we should save the whales!

borgy
06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
i think you're and idiot if you think what you think

Uh how so? ...i'm an idiot for thinking an album on a major label with a high production budget and a band playing guitars worth thousands of dollars shouldn't sound like shit with a muddy mix and no dynamic range?

You obviously don't have good audio equipment. Idiot.

SuperKnux
06-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Actually I do agree with you Borgy. I hate to admit it, but yes the album is a casualty to this whole loudness war. While I love the album and am proud of The Offspring's new material, the mixing is distorted and slightly annoying.

While it doesn't bother me much, it does make some of the sounds and instruments sound low quality, which is a bummer. But oh well.

Ain't going to stop me from listening to it I suppose.

Nemesis881
06-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Is it a victim of the loudness war? Yes. But digital recording is much higher quality then the analog stuff they used back in the day.
The only reason they didn't crank the volume on older stuff is because it would sound to distorted / muddy.

Although I don't think we've reached the point where recording is high enough quality to leave the dynamic range intact while turning up the overall volume.

ThunderPX
06-25-2008, 03:09 AM
Every time I'm annoyed by clipping, I just remember Californication. :D

disclaimer_07
06-25-2008, 03:32 AM

Open a sound file (preferrably '.wav) in a sound editing program. Then find somewhere and click "Loudness" and enter the dB value you want to increase it by. As simple as that. Then save the sound file in any format you desire.

iPunk247
06-25-2008, 03:33 AM
this new one from 'em it don't sound like crap to me. maybe to some. wuteva.

disclaimer_07
06-25-2008, 03:35 AM
Back to the topic. The clipped "quo modo" part in Trust In You is quite annoying.

disclaimer_07
06-25-2008, 03:38 AM
this new one from 'em it don't sound like crap to me. maybe to some. wuteva.

Strange. You voted "No". Were you misled by the title?

luny13
06-25-2008, 03:48 AM
i like the album the way it is..and loud albums? well..there is such things as equilizers and volume control to sort those issues out if the albums are too loud :S personally ive got my equilizer customised so that it makes the songs a wee bit louder..

and the new stuff sounds like the old stuff ----> awesome xD

medi01
06-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Uh how so? ...i'm an idiot for thinking an album on a major label with a high production budget and a band playing guitars worth thousands of dollars shouldn't sound like shit with a muddy mix and no dynamic range?

You obviously don't have good audio equipment. Idiot.

hahahaha....You Obviously don't have ears. Idiot.

Camilamazed
06-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Oh man, there are so many things I still have to learn... Loudness war is news for me.:o

I have never noticed such differences.

Stylie
06-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh man, there are so many things I still have to learn... Loudness war is news for me.:o

I have never noticed such differences.
I've also never heard it before. ; )

borgy
06-25-2008, 07:08 PM
hahahaha....You Obviously don't have ears. Idiot.

Really that's news to me. I wonder how i heard the album in the first place. idiota.

Ryder1234
06-25-2008, 07:12 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=104&pictureid=533

Cock Joke
06-25-2008, 07:15 PM
It's clearly their best produced album ever.

medi01
06-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Really that's news to me. I wonder how i heard the album in the first place. idiota.

...clearly u can't have

...or maybe u can feel the impulses

Budzy
06-26-2008, 02:54 AM
haha yay for star trek.

Conspiracyof1000
06-26-2008, 03:01 AM
Dex loves the album and doesn't want to change a thing. :D
http://www.offspring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=448

Free?
06-26-2008, 03:24 AM
Dex loves the album and doesn't want to change a thing. :D
http://www.offspring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=448

But that's a younger Dexter, he probably doesn't even know yet about RAFRAG. :p

Conspiracyof1000
06-26-2008, 03:31 AM
But that's a younger Dexter, he probably doesn't even know yet about RAFRAG. :p

Probably. I just think that picture is funny. In my opinion that was the best part of the Americana video.

Rooster
06-26-2008, 04:56 AM
Uh, what a relief! At first i thought this was just another thread for bitching about the album.

I like the way it's produced.