PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone despise the current indie trends...

maplejet
06-24-2008, 12:26 PM
No, not those "emo"/"pop punk" stuff like Fall Out Boy OR the hardcore/metalcore stuff like Atreyu, but all these indie bands that get hyped up and end up to be nothing but bores.

Pitchfork...

coke_a_holic
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Have you ever actually listened to it?

nieh
06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Every musical genre ever is 99% full of interchangeable bands with stale, boring sounds. Also, neither band you mentioned qualifies as indie.

JohnnyNemesis
06-24-2008, 12:59 PM
neither band you mentioned qualifies as indie.

That was what the threadstarter said...

nieh
06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
I assumed he considered them indie but was saying "Not THESE indie bands, those OTHER indie bands". I don't see why else he would've brought them up otherwise.

0r4ng3
06-24-2008, 01:19 PM
That's what happens when you pay attention to Pitchfork. Personally I just listen to what I like.

XYlophonetreeZ
06-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Could you give some examples of the bands you're talking about? I totally understand why Pitchfork makes you want to hate everything they like, but there are some good indie bands out there. Besides, indie isn't really a genre, it just means they're not signed to a major label. I realize that there's an indie "scene" out there but there's a really diverse array of music that qualifies as "indie."

nieh
06-24-2008, 01:26 PM
indie isn't really a genre

Not specifically, but it's no less valid to call it one than to call pop a genre when pop really just means popular. There's an underlying indie vibe/sound that even a few bands on major labels have. The Flaming Lips for instance are signed to Warner Bros. but are still normally considered indie-rock.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
06-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I like Modest Mouse, Man Man and Tegan & Sara. Just a couple of bands considered "indie". But yeah, I agree that hating general vague genres is stupid. Also, liking one particular genre only. I just like what I like.

Jakebert
06-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Like pointed out, indie isn't a genre, more of a broad blanket term. Saying "I hate indie" is like saying "I hate pop" or "I hate rock".

JohnnyNemesis
06-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I hate this conversation, but only because I've had it so many times.

leo3375
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I think the thread-starter is expressing disdain for the current "hipster" bands. And I agree. A lot of them are very bland and boring, in my opinion. It's like someone threw the 1980s in a blender then poured it into an elitist mold and baked it for far too long.

I guess my overall dislike is a combination of my disgust for the people who listen to them and the fact that I heard it all about 20-some years ago.

Yatesy
06-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Statements like "I hate [insert genre here]" the fact is you cannot generalise every single band in one genre. The fact is the majority of "Indie" is just stuff that people dislike but just throws it into one category just to get their point across.

coke_a_holic
06-24-2008, 02:18 PM
The fact is people who go "MAN I HATE INDIE" probably have no idea what they're saying because they never gave it a chance. If they go "man, I hate these specific bands or this specific genre of indie music," then it would be a more valid statement.

I used to say I hated indie, too. Then I, like, actually tried listening to some bands often associated with the genre, and found out that I was pretty wrong.

jacknife737
06-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I despise Pitchfork, but have no problem with the bands they cover.

Yatesy
06-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Hate to sound slow or anything, but what is exactly wrong with pitchfork? Never really been on it so wouldn't know personally you see.

nieh
06-24-2008, 03:12 PM
They're known for pretty much personifying the obnoxious, pretentious indie-hipster stereotype. I read the site mostly because it's the best source for news for a lot of bands I'm into, but it's rare that I look to them for their reviews, even though I do agree with them on some bands/albums.

The Search Button
06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Name the bastards because only then, we can call them bastards.

Yatesy
06-24-2008, 04:05 PM
They're known for pretty much personifying the obnoxious, pretentious indie-hipster stereotype. I read the site mostly because it's the best source for news for a lot of bands I'm into, but it's rare that I look to them for their reviews, even though I do agree with them on some bands/albums.

Ah I see, sort of like NME magazine except it doesn't have it's own magazine.

WebDudette
06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Man I hate rock, most of it is so over hyped, similar, and boring.
Man I hate rap, most of it is so over hyped, similar, and boring.
Man I hate pop, most of it is so over hyped, similar, and boring.
Man I hate country, most of it is so over hyped, similar, and boring.
Man I hate metal, most of it is so over hyped, similar, and boring.

Short_Attention_Span
06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
I think the thread-starter is expressing disdain for the current "hipster" bands. And I agree. A lot of them are very bland and boring, in my opinion. It's like someone threw the 1980s in a blender then poured it into an elitist mold and baked it for far too long.

Okay... exactly which bands are the current "hipster" bands? I'm just curious.

Personally, I think Pitchfork is annoyingly pretentious and I usually end up avoiding it.
________
FERRARI 158 HISTORY (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_158)

jacknife737
06-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Old, but funny.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/pitchfork_gives_music_6_8

IamSam
06-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Like pointed out, indie isn't a genre, more of a broad blanket term. Saying "I hate indie" is like saying "I hate pop" or "I hate rock".

Or saying "I hate pop rocks" which is entirely more disconcerting topic that would need to be covered in depth.

Endymion
06-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Or saying "I hate pop rocks" which is entirely more disconcerting topic that would need to be covered in depth.

i don't believe the topic needs to be covered at all, as it is nonsensical.

JohnnyNemesis
06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
I love that Onion article so so so much.

In the end, though music can be brilliant at times, the whole medium comes off as derivative of Pavement.

Effing perfect.