PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks The Offspring Should Get Ron Welty Back?

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I do!! he was their best and most awesome drummer, why did they get rid of him in the first place?

Rutegard
06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
i don't....

if he would get back they environment would be very different now

leo3375
06-24-2008, 03:20 PM
I do!! he was their best and most awesome drummer, why did they get rid of him in the first place?

This has been asked a lot in the last 5 years. Although the band hasn't gotten into the details, this is what I've mined from them:

Sometime between 2000 and 2003, the rapport between Ron and the rest of the band broke down. Dexter and Greg have both mentioned that Ron had become difficult to work with. In addition, Ron started playing in a new band. In 2003, faced with a time crunch between the bands, Ron decided to focus more on the new band.

Here's a link to the original article and Ron's statement:
http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/news?year=2003&newsID=290

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 03:20 PM
i don't....

if he would get back they environment would be very different now

they still have the same drumming style on their newer songs though... it wouldnt change much exept they would have an awesomer drummer

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 03:23 PM
In addition, Ron started playing in a new band. In 2003, faced with a time crunch between the bands, Ron decided to focus more on the new band.

whats the new bands name?

leo3375
06-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Steady Ground. It should be in the link I posted earlier.

Capricorn4
06-24-2008, 03:25 PM

Steady ground
Edit:I'm slow

Rutegard
06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
they still have the same drumming style on their newer songs though... it wouldnt change much exept they would have an awesomer drummer

yyeeahhh i do believe they don't like him anymore...

cool 2 hate 681
06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
you listin to his new band here

http://www.myspace.com/steadyground

they have been working on their first album jettison but they keep having to re record the vocals because they have went though 3 or 4 lead singers already

Capricorn4
06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Dexter writes the drum parts too,am I'm right?I read it somewhere.

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Steady Ground. It should be in the link I posted earlier.

sorry, i didnt look at the link, ill do that now

brothadave79
06-24-2008, 03:32 PM
they keep having to re record the vocals because they have went though 3 or 4 lead singers already

Lawl. Steady, indeed. :rolleyes:

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Dexter writes the drum parts too,am I'm right?I read it somewhere.

anyone who has the offspring complete music video colection dvd can see the video were dexter (15 years old) used to be a drummer (the drumming style is even simaler to the offspring drumming style)

jacknife737
06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
It doesn’t matter what we think, he is never coming back. Plus, I’d rather have Atom then Ron rejoin the band.

brothadave79
06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
It doesn’t matter what we think, he is never coming back. Plus, I’d rather have Atom then Ron rejoin the band.

I agree, at least he got along with the band when he left. I really don't want Ron back. They all got to the point where he and the other three couldn't work together anymore (according to Greg in one interview) and they're all better off without the negative energy.

Steady Ground sound good by the way. I approve.

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
I agree, at least he got along with the band when he left. I really don't want Ron back. They all got to the point where he and the other three couldn't work together anymore (according to Greg in one interview) and they're all better off without the negative energy.

Steady Ground sound good by the way. I approve.

ill try to listen to them when i get to a faster computer... but for now who do they sound like? what bands would you compare them to?... are they punk?

brothadave79
06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Nah, the couple songs I heard sounded like Sound Garden/old Foo Fighters.

drummerbecca
06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I loved Ron but I have to admit, it just wouldn't be the same if he did come back. He was a great drummer though. I do also feel that Pete maybe doesn't get 100% of the credit he deserves. He's also very good and really solid. Any drummer who joins has pretty big boots to fill...

Blastero
06-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Ron wasn't an amazing drummer by any means. He wasn't bad either, but Atom and probably Pete are far better. In the wake of all this new style Offspring stuff, I sometimes wish he'd come back for nostalgic puproses, but if that's the case, I'd prefer Atom come back instead.

melan999
06-24-2008, 06:34 PM

FUCK HIM, HE IS AN IDIOT FOR LEAVING THE OFFSPRING, JUST LIKE THAT ATOM WILLARD FAG.

here is the real story:

SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 2000 AND 2003 ron decided to set himself appart from worldwide tours, awesome punk songs and making good money . instead he went to suck willardīs penis all the way.

then atom got tired of ron and thought it would be nicer to suck on tom delongeīs cock instead .

feeling decieved for atomīs decission, ron went ahead and formed a new band called STEADY GROUND with former drummers jim benton and james lijia, who once played for the offspring. now they suck each otherīs dick and record themselves doing it on a shitty home studio ron has on his basement.

now the offspring got this awesome new kid that used to drum in a band where everybody sucked eachotherīs dick and sing about it.
since pete parada was so used to suck dick, the offspring decided to only use him on tour. and josh freese, some one who enjoys vagina, would record the drums with them.

so yeah thats pretty much the story of the many drummers of the offspring.

Cock Joke
06-24-2008, 06:38 PM
That's not gonna happen, although I would appreciate it if it did.

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 06:54 PM
FUCK HIM, HE IS AN IDIOT FOR LEAVING THE OFFSPRING, JUST LIKE THAT ATOM WILLARD FAG.

here is the real story:

SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 2000 AND 2003 ron decided to set himself appart from worldwide tours, awesome punk songs and making good money . instead he went to suck willardīs penis all the way.

then atom got tired of ron and thought it would be nicer to suck on tom delongeīs cock instead .

feeling decieved for atomīs decission, ron went ahead and formed a new band called STEADY GROUND with former drummers jim benton and james lijia, who once played for the offspring. now they suck each otherīs dick and record themselves doing it on a shitty home studio ron has on his basement.

now the offspring got this awesome new kid that used to drum in a band where everybody sucked eachotherīs dick and sing about it.
since pete parada was so used to suck dick, the offspring decided to only use him on tour. and josh freese, some one who enjoys vagina, would record the drums with them.

cool... who is atom willard?

Cock Joke
06-24-2008, 06:56 PM

here is the real story:

That tale is frikkin hilarious!

F@ BANKZ
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Sure, why not? Ron's nice.

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 07:11 PM
That tale is frikkin hilarious!

it is, exept i like ron...

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 07:12 PM
i should make this into a pole...

Ryder1234
06-24-2008, 08:57 PM
cool... who is atom willard?

the drummer that was in the offspring between Ron and Pete

JESUS CHRIST!!! :p

jk

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 09:02 PM
the drummer that was in the offspring between Ron and Pete

JESUS CHRIST!!! :p

jk
i thought josh freese was...
atom didnt do any albums... was he that gay one??

leo3375
06-24-2008, 09:45 PM

Atom toured with the band from 2003 to 2006. Josh Freese played on Splinter, "Can't Repeat," and RAFRAG. Freese was initially offered the permanent position but turned it down because he had a lot going on at the time.

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Atom toured with the band from 2003 to 2006. Josh Freese played on Splinter, "Can't Repeat," and RAFRAG. Freese was initially offered the permanent position but turned it down because he had a lot going on at the time.

so atom would have played on the warped tour '05 with the offspring

leo3375
06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
so atom would have played on the warped tour '05 with the offspring

Atom DID play on the Warped Tour with the Offspring in 2005.

Jules69
06-24-2008, 11:06 PM
They need Atom he is a badass on the drums!!! I have never seen a guy smile bigger or have more fun than him!!!:cool:

pyro offspring
06-24-2008, 11:10 PM
They need Atom he is a badass on the drums!!! I have never seen a guy smile bigger or have more fun than him!!!:cool:

i dont like him... he has a goofy hairdoo

cool 2 hate 681
06-25-2008, 06:56 AM

lol i don't know but i will tell you this i believe atom got better treatment then pete is getting right now

atom got a promo photo with 13 days of joining the band

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/news?year=2003&newsID=285

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/news?year=2003&newsID=284

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/ecw4ever3/theoffspring-1.jpg

pete would join the offspring on july 27th 2007

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/news?year=2007&newsID=433744

but it won't be until february or march of 2008 until you see him in a photo

http://hardrockhideout.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/theoffstpring.jpg

also in the booklet for splinter and greatest hits it says

the offspring are

Dexter Holland - lead vocals
Noodles - guitar
Greg K. - bass
Atom Willard- drums

on the booklet for Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace it says

the offspring are

Dexter Holland - lead vocals
Noodles - guitar
Greg K. - bass

Additional Personnel

Josh Freese – Drums
Bob Rock – Producer
Chris "X-13" Higgins - Backing vocals

Camilamazed
06-25-2008, 06:59 AM
I like Ron and all, but would it really make a difference?

:confused:

The other were as well as good.

Dexter_italy
06-25-2008, 07:26 AM
really...ron left 5 years ago....there's still people whining about it?? we had atom who did a great job, was a kickass drummer, and now we have pete who fits even better. Everybody loves ron because he was there for 20 years. But now he's gone and he has a new band where he feel better. He isn't coming back, and the badn isn't going to call him back.

GunForHire
06-25-2008, 07:35 AM
I don't see what difference having Ron back would make. Pete is a fantastic drummer, as is Josh Freese. Atom was pretty damn good too.

The Search Button
06-25-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm personally happy with the studio work of Josh and with Pete's live performance.

Oh and by the way. Who's Ron Welty?

Jeez, people still live in the past.

Time to move on.

Free?
06-25-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm fine with Josh in studio and Pete live, though Ron will allways remain "The Offspring's drummer". But it's not a reason to disturb the band or Ron with trying to re-unite them. They have their lives and their decisions.

Amiralanal
06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm fine with Josh in studio and Pete live, though Ron will allways remain "The Offspring's drummer". But it's not a reason to disturb the band or Ron with trying to re-unite them. They have their lives and their decisions.

Here Here!

Gustavo
06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't.

As far as i know he's the one who wanted to leave.

pyro offspring
06-25-2008, 06:01 PM
its josh freese in splinter and greatest hits

cool 2 hate 681
06-25-2008, 07:24 PM
yes only atom willard did the drums on next to you from greatest hits

pyro offspring
06-25-2008, 07:26 PM
yes only atom willard did the drums on next to you from greatest hits

cool......

iPunk247
06-26-2008, 12:42 AM
might aswell get all teh past/present decent drummers back. whaddaya say?!. maybe a girl drummer replacement, eh?! *sighs*

pyro offspring
06-26-2008, 01:07 AM
the more drummers the better!!!! ok thats not true

JeromeFleur
06-26-2008, 05:42 AM
I think Ron was an amazing offspring drummer, if you listen to the first 3 albums. His style is really original compared to other punk drummers... I mean, he didn't just play the loudest and the fastest, his playing has a lot of different dynamics, different feels... It contributed greatly to the offspring's sound and style.

But then again, if you listen to Ixnay on the Hombre (where, I think, Dexter began to write the drum parts), all of his playing style seemed to have been evacuated, to be more simple. This album is kind of boring for the drums, in my opinion... I mean... All I want... It's a great song, but... you know, the drums... it's just... boring...

So to answer the question, no I don't think he should come back, because Dexter will still be writing the drum parts... Even though Dexter seems better than before to do it, I highly understand and respect the decision of Ron to quit, for he couldn't be as creative as he would have wanted inside the band.

As for Pete, he seems less creative, but more powerful. Steady, loud, and fast. Should be great live, maybe less in the studio...
To me, Willard was the ideal choice : a great style, a lot of energy...

oh_strange_one
06-26-2008, 06:00 AM
it would be great if ron welty went bk to the offspring but times have changed so.....whatever ;)

Dead Kennedy
06-26-2008, 06:05 AM
nope, ron welty is past and it should stay that way!

Dexter_italy
06-26-2008, 06:05 AM
Atom was more scenic on stage, but i prefer Pete, he's faster, listen to all I want or have you ever live. I prefer pete's performances

Stylie
06-26-2008, 06:23 AM
But then again, if you listen to Ixnay on the Hombre (where, I think, Dexter began to write the drum parts), all of his playing style seemed to have been evacuated, to be more simple. This album is kind of boring for the drums, in my opinion... I mean... All I want... It's a great song, but... you know, the drums... it's just... boring...

So to answer the question, no I don't think he should come back, because Dexter will still be writing the drum parts... Even though Dexter seems better than before to do it, I highly understand and respect the decision of Ron to quit, for he couldn't be as creative as he would have wanted inside the band.

How do you know that? :)

Rooster
06-26-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't think they should get Ron back. He is the one who wanted to leave, so i think that if they get him back in the band, it would totally ruin the atmosphere in the band (either he would not be playing with passion for the band any more, or maybe the other band members could not get pass his decision to abandon them in the first place)

ernesto88
06-26-2008, 08:01 AM
i miss Ron Welty, but i don't believe that he will back to offspring. If they was finish great, like friends, someone talk about a posibility of return or a casual live show together, or something to respect

cool 2 hate 681
06-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Atom was more scenic on stage, but i prefer Pete, he's faster, listen to all I want or have you ever live. I prefer pete's performances

i have seen the offspring live with ron atom and pete and i can tell you ron was the best drummer live

Dexter_italy
06-26-2008, 10:32 AM
points of view...tastes.... Ron played in theyer best periods, now they're older, dexter doesn't envolve the audience like he used to, no more keep 'em separated contests, the age has its results (btw they're doing great shows now). But talking only about the drums I prefer Pete in the live shows for now. then again, we didn't see any new drummer composing drum parts for the band since ron left. So I think Ron's "style" isn't comparable with atom or pete.

Ninty Man
06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Ron wasn't an amazing drummer by any means. He wasn't bad either, but Atom and probably Pete are far better. In the wake of all this new style Offspring stuff, I sometimes wish he'd come back for nostalgic puproses, but if that's the case, I'd prefer Atom come back instead.

Self titled and ignition... IS ALL WHAT I HAVE TO SAY TO THIS HERETIC.

And, no... Ron shouldn't come back. We all love him, but he has his time... and now is time for new and better things for both sides

Bodom J
06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Honestly, i really don't care who their drummer is. No offense to the ones who have drummed for them but I don't listen to the offspring for their totally awesome badical drumming that blows my mind. Because it doesn't. Far as their drumming goes, it seems to be pretty standard fair, even in the realm of rock. I know all bands can't have snare rolls and blast beats like in metal but, really, the offspring haven't been known for their drumming and probably never will. Long as they have someone who can keep a beat or two, then I don't care who it is.

Ninty Man
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Honestly, i really don't care who their drummer is. No offense to the ones who have drummed for them but I don't listen to the offspring for their totally awesome badical drumming that blows my mind. Because it doesn't. Far as their drumming goes, it seems to be pretty standard fair, even in the realm of rock. I know all bands can't have snare rolls and blast beats like in metal but, really, the offspring haven't been known for their drumming and probably never will. Long as they have someone who can keep a beat or two, then I don't care who it is.

Pfff... Ok... then I will join the band

Alex101
06-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Ron Welty should come back. The Offspring can't always be the same without him.

leo3375
06-27-2008, 11:06 AM
The only way Ron would be able to come back and fit with the band again is if he approached them and they were open to welcoming him back. All parties would have to agree and work on rebuilding that rapport they had throughout the 1990s. Otherwise, it would be extremely awkward and the onstage chemistry simply wouldn't be there.

yellow
06-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Me. I do. I don't really know why he left, but I do wish he would come back. Ron was/ and is a great drummer and the offspring r better off with him as their drummer. no offense to atom, pete, or josh; but ron gets the job done right.
Also Ron is the only member of the offspring who has an offspring tatoo, (that i know of)

nameless
06-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Me. I do. I don't really know why he left, but I do wish he would come back. Ron was/ and is a great drummer and the offspring r better off with him as their drummer. no offense to atom, pete, or josh; but ron gets the job done right.
Also Ron is the only member of the offspring who has an offspring tatoo, (that i know of)

josh freese gets the job done right as well! is like to see ron back but i cant see it happening!

OffspringFreakess
06-29-2008, 03:50 PM
i think he should. they probably won't be the same as they used to, but they aren't anymore anyways.

IamSam
06-29-2008, 03:58 PM
I think both sides are perfectly happy the way they are.

jacknife737
06-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I think both sides are perfectly happy the way they are.

It seems that way.

Jojan
06-29-2008, 04:22 PM
If Ron would ask to come back, I hope he can do it anytime! But it might be some legal issues thing involved. Conracts and shit with Pete, you know. But I still love Ron and I think The Offspring was better with him. I miss him so much...

IamSam
06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Plus it wouldn't be fair to Pete to say:

"Hey! Our drummer, who decided to leave us to do his own thing, randomly decided he actually wanted to be apart of us again...soooo...we're gonna have to let you go."

That would be a dick move.

Little_Miss_1565
06-29-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm new and I want to try and make a name for myself by writing something unspeakably obscene and disrespectful of the people who have drummed in this band that I supposedly like.

Nice try, but you're just acting like a dick. Stop.

wrc307
06-29-2008, 06:55 PM
i like pete actually, ron had his own style a little bit out from offspring`s style, pete is the man xD

Budzy
06-29-2008, 09:15 PM
i liked atom the most.
if u watch the live videos on the complete video collection and watch atom, hes got so much energy. ron was a bit dull i reckon, but atom bangs his heads and spins the sticks and just looks so much more awesome playing.
atom is THE man.

Ryder1234
06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
the more drummers the better!!!!

no way, the offspring are becoming what the Vancouver Canucks are to goalies

(if you dont know, the canucks have been called a "goalie graveyard")

one hundred punks
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Josh Freese was in Gn'R so he is cool with me. How about Brett Reed formerly or Rancid?
________
halfbaked (http://half-baked.com)

pyro offspring
06-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Josh Freese was in Gn'R so he is cool with me. How about Brett Reed formerly or Rancid?

cool, he was, i didnt know that

IamSam
06-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Josh Freese was in Gn'R so he is cool with me.

It should be his work with A Perfect Circle and namely The Vandals that makes him cool. He really didn't do shit with Gn'R...seeing they really haven't done shit period.