PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me places to visit not too far from Toronto

HornyPope
06-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Something that is under 5 hour drive. Is there anything to do in Buffalo, Rochester, Cleveland, Detroit... ? Or maybe something in the smaller cities? I just want to get away for a weekend with my wife from Toronto and not feel I wasted my time.

OffspringHead
06-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Something that is under 5 hour drive. Is there anything to do in Buffalo, Rochester, Cleveland, Detroit... ? Or maybe something in the smaller cities? I just want to get away for a weekend with my wife from Toronto and not feel I wasted my time.

Idk but I was thinking of doing the same thing myself. Except I don't have a wife and I wanna do it for fun =D I live in southern New York so i really can't help you =( Sorry.

Little_Miss_1565
06-25-2008, 08:46 PM
The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland is good for a giggle.

T-6005
06-26-2008, 03:32 AM
You know, I have absolutely no idea.

You guys have already done Niagara, right? Falls are nice, town is crap, that whole thing. That's the first thing I would think of. I've never left the GTA in any other direction except for when going to Quebec.

If you're willing to be in Toronto, you could always visit the ROM, or that shoe museum we passed while you guys were there. That seems like a quality use of time.

SaiKYoU
06-26-2008, 04:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Point

maps google say it's about 5.30 hrs from Toronto...

i fucking love rollercoasters...

JoY
06-26-2008, 04:38 AM
I'll help you when I get back home, because then I can look up the names of the places I visited when I was near Toronto on my concerttrip in 2000.

I take it you've seen the Niagara Falls at least a dozen times? not too special anyway. I don't know if they look any better from the American side, but I didn't think that much of it from the Canadian side. but I'm extremely spoiled in that aspect:
http://www.monnikhof.com/Victoria-Falls-2.jpg
(should've known Vic Falls stretch the screen)

I remember a great large foresty area in the neighbourhood, great nature, extremely awesome. don't know if you'd be interested, since well, you live there & you probably see areas where there isn't a trace of the human race about every other day. for me, that was pretty damn special. hey, about 19 million people, small country. my country is stupid & crowded.

uh, just watch out for poison Ivy, if you're up for the plan just mentioned. typically Dutch comment probably, I don't think you'd end up with a major rash from the fucking thing, because I'm guessing you'd totally recognise it. unlike Dutchies & in particular a friend of mine/second violiniste. & do not attempt to climb after raccoons. I don't know what one of us was thinking, it's a miracle nothing went wrong. when I saw him going after the animal, I was like; "ohmygod I am NEVER going too far from home with stupid Dutch idiots ever again *slap forehead*"

also, I bet you've seen the Music Garden trillion times? I liked it. it's right next to the real world, cars rushing by, people hurrying for work, but it's nothing like it. I take it you know the inspiration for it was Bach's suites for unaccompanied cello? put those on, if you like that sort of thing, & walk around for a couple of hours. you'll start feeling it. (of course that's just a random thought, not something to do with the lady during an entire weekend...)

Rag Doll
06-26-2008, 08:53 AM
the only thing i can think of that might be within that distance is Lake George in New York. It's really beautiful. There is also some sort of amusement park near there (Great Escape? I don't remember) and outlet shopping. But that's probably not really what you're looking for =\

Jakebert
06-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Cleveland is pretty unremarkable, so I wouldn't bother. There's a few cool urban exploration type spots like Franklin Castle and a few fun bars, but not much else. The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is very overrated.

Izie
06-26-2008, 08:08 PM
the only thing i can think of that might be within that distance is Lake George in New York. It's really beautiful. There is also some sort of amusement park near there (Great Escape? I don't remember) and outlet shopping. But that's probably not really what you're looking for =\

I'm thinking we'll prolly end up with something like the Lake George thing - I haven't been able to figure out any nice cities near TO, so we'll go with the beautiful nature-y stuff!

Also I'm a girl and I love outlet shopping but shhhhhh I'm not supposed to tell! Although I doubt it'll work either way ;(

HornyPope
06-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Cleveland is pretty unremarkable, so I wouldn't bother. There's a few cool urban exploration type spots like Franklin Castle and a few fun bars, but not much else. The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is very overrated.

I talked to a friend in Cincinati and he told me something like that too. He said go the extra 4 hours to Chicago, but that's just a long trip all the way from Quebec, and the way back is annoying.

uh, just watch out for poison Ivy, if you're up for the plan just mentioned. typically Dutch comment probably, I don't think you'd end up with a major rash from the fucking thing, because I'm guessing you'd totally recognise it. unlike Dutchies & in particular a friend of mine/second violiniste. & do not attempt to climb after raccoons. I don't know what one of us was thinking, it's a miracle nothing went wrong. when I saw him going after the animal, I was like; "ohmygod I am NEVER going too far from home with stupid Dutch idiots ever again *slap forehead*" Hahaha. Good story!

I remember a great large foresty area in the neighbourhood, great nature, extremely awesome. don't know if you'd be interested, since well, you live there & you probably see areas where there isn't a trace of the human race about every other day. for me, that was pretty damn special. hey, about 19 million people, small country. my country is stupid & crowded. Well one thing about living in a big country is I don't go to like 95% of the country unless I have a reason or I'm picking up chicks online, which is a thing of a past now. :cool:
So no, I haven't been in a lot of those places and thanks for the recommendation. The foresty area doesn't sound very appealing because another thing about living in a big country (with a small population density) is we have a lot of fucking trees... anywhere outside the cities.

also, I bet you've seen the Music Garden trillion times? I liked it. it's right next to the real world, cars rushing by, people hurrying for work, but it's nothing like it. I take it you know the inspiration for it was Bach's suites for unaccompanied cello? put those on, if you like that sort of thing, & walk around for a couple of hours. you'll start feeling it. (of course that's just a random thought, not something to do with the lady during an entire weekend...) Never heard of it. I'll google it tomorrow, thanks a lot babe.

If you're willing to be in Toronto, you could always visit the ROM, or that shoe museum we passed while you guys were there. That seems like a quality use of time.

Yeah but this looks like a good weekend, or should be. I'll save the museums for when we're going through a heat wave or something.

Idk but I was thinking of doing the same thing myself. Except I don't have a wife and I wanna do it for fun =D I live in southern New York so i really can't help you =( Sorry. It's the thought that counts.

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland is good for a giggle. Cool.

the only thing i can think of that might be within that distance is Lake George in New York. It's really beautiful. There is also some sort of amusement park near there (Great Escape? I don't remember) and outlet shopping. But that's probably not really what you're looking for =\ Outlets are bad. No, we're not going there, Izie. No, we're not. No! The lake sounds like an idea... for a stopover. Do you know a specific name of the park or camping site?

Izie
06-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Bad Iza? :(

Eh it's ok, I'll just make you go some other time. Or I'll go with Amanda to the Falls ones and spend ungodly amounts of money :)

wheelchairman
06-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Chicago is awesome. So I agree with your friend.

Rag Doll
06-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Outlets are bad. No, we're not going there, Izie. No, we're not. No! The lake sounds like an idea... for a stopover. Do you know a specific name of the park or camping site?

I'll ask my friend. She has a house there so she might know some camp sites up there.

JoY
06-27-2008, 12:28 PM
lake Huron, that was also a pretty magnificent sight. also, the other thing I was talking about, was the "Bruce-trail". looked it up, just in case. I think you'd like it, if you like nature.

I keep hesistating to give advice on this, since I don't want to be silly & you must know the entire area a whole lot better than I do.

HornyPope
06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
So we went to Wassaga beach on recommendation by few locals. Splashed in that shallow water, then got rained on while we were in the water by hard and sudden rain and the clothes we had in the beach got covered in sand. Then we took a scenic drive along the Georgian bay on the way to the Blue Mountain. One stop in Collingwood was a really nice sight. We thought of watching the sunset but we decided to proceed to Barrie instead where apperantly they had a festival of some sorts. Well, we ate and took a stroll this time overlooking the Simcoe lake and then returned back to Toronto past midnight.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2l8g85f.jpg

And now, we're off to Niagra on the Lake.

Bella, I read about the Bruce trail and it looks fantastic. We will absolutely check it out in the near future, hopefully this summer. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

Nina
06-29-2008, 12:11 PM
aah sounds really fun, Canada is a beautiful country with an amazing variety of landscapes (from what I have seen myself and heard of). Have a fun onward trip!

Betty
06-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Sorry I didn't contribute sooner.

Definitely one of my favourite things to do near Toronto is Canada's Wonderland! But not sure if you guys are into that. Apparently there's a new rollercoaster; I'm pretty jealous! Also, the African Lion Safari was pretty nifty when I used to go there as a kid.

Otherwise, I would recommend checkin' out some of the lakes... but I never lived there long enough to know which ones. I'm more familiar with Northern Ontario.

Also, Iz, I have those shoes and they are my favourite! But I think you had them first, so I copied.