PDA

View Full Version : My Review... of fans

Camilamazed
06-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Man, since we had the news of the new album and also since its release, there has been a festival of bullshit all around. Mind you guys, I don't know if there's boards for most of the countries, but the brazilian communities are scoring on stupidity. And I see it's not different in here. People registering the boards just to flood the boards with crap.

I don't really understand what is going on. Old fans are enjoying RFRG a lot on the other hands newer fans are crying their hearts out and explaining their feelings towards the CD irrationally.

Years ago, the main discussion on boards was if the offspring is a Punk band or not. People would hate each other and get nowhere trying to prove Punk or Pop. Just like it used to happen around here.

But now with this Emo thing, everything got out of control. I'm tired of people in those forums saying the Offspring became emo.

Seriously, tell me, what the fuck is going on?

When I don't like something, I say I don't like it and period. These people nowadays need to blame on the band or label it something they don't like just to come up with an excuse?

My goodness, I am a moderator of the two biggest Offspring communities in a social networking and this is the first time ever that I see such idiocy there.

I can't stand it anymore, seriously. I don't reply people there anymore. I just watch them discuss with a very sad feeling that they're totally missing out on a great CD. I am totally sure that if there was not this emo thing, people would be loving the CD by now. What I think is that these people are too proud to admit they enjoyed the songs, afraid friends would make fun of them.

I was not a member of the forum in the Splinter era, but tell me, was it this bad?

medi01
06-27-2008, 07:58 AM
saying the Offspring became emo.

i'm newish and hadn't seen that...how stupid must you be to say offspring is emo....the idea someone thinks that makes me lol

Camilamazed
06-27-2008, 08:00 AM
i'm newish and hadn't seen that...how stupid must you be to say offspring is emo....the idea someone thinks that makes me lol

Quote the whole sentence, please. Then talk to me.

Thanks.

The Search Button
06-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Fans were good before they sold out.

Dipsticks.

F@ BANKZ
06-27-2008, 08:21 AM
I am totally sure that if there was not this emo thing, people would be loving the CD by now. What I think is that these people are too proud to admit they enjoyed the songs, afraid friends would make fun of them.

lol, emo.

Most kids nowadays think of music more as an identification than as music. In honesty I have to say that I haven't read a single post accusing the band of being emo, but most of the rants are based on the style of music rather than the quality of it.

It isn't just kids either, a group I knew became facetious punks in school and haven't grown out of it, they're in their 20s now. In the end though, there is really nothing we can do about it.

medi01
06-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Quote the whole sentence, please. Then talk to me.

Thanks.

I'm tired of people in those forums saying the Offspring became emo.

is that better???????????

Hypodermic_89
06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
People have literally judged a book by its cover.. Well in this case, an album.

Just because the cover was in red and black, the whole thing is suddenly emo. People said that the album was emo BEFORE it came out. even before the 30 second song previews on Amazon. The only song out then was Hammerhead, and Hammerhead is anything BUT emo.

It's just fucking pathetic. People nowadays think that if an album doesn't sound like Smash or Ixnay, it's a disgrace. As if the fans in question were hardcore punkers themselves.

People cannot accept variety. Variety is ESSENTIAL in music. You're not gonna get anywhere doing the same thing, and you're gonna get bored yourself. The Offspring have a right to do what they want. We are the ones who should look up to THEM. We can't place demands on them, and them piss all over them when our demands aren't met. That's fucking selfish and childish.

I can handle peoples opinions on this forum, but what I can't handle, is seeing someone make a thread called "RAFRAG sucks!!" and then when I check it, the person who created the thread has only 3 posts or less. That pisses me off. Registering here just to complain? Fuck off. It would be a totally different thing if, for example, Tijs bashed the album, because he is a long-time Offspring fan with much respect on this forum.

Many of the newbies who post here claim that they are longtime fans. True longtime fans know that a band has to be supported. And here I must note that by FAN, I mean a person who owns atleast 6 Offspring CDs, not just mp3 files. Don't call yourself a longtime fan just because you downloaded Original Prankster so that you could win 1 million dollars, and then eventually DOWNLOADED all their albums. And then, MAYBE you bought the albums off of Amazon for 3 bucks a piece.

Real longtime fans of The Offspring have learned that the band has changed inbetween albums, and we fans accept that, and we always dig out everything positive there is to say about it. Because in the end, The Offspring is our favorite band, and the fact that we finally have a new album after 5 years, is just something that we all should take joy in and come together, as a community, and just blast our minds listening to it!

We don't need pissant newbies killin our buzz, so fuck off.

Free?
06-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks god, all my real life friends think twice before saying something bad about my favourite band, knowing that I have zillions arguments to prove that they are wrong, but don't get me wrong, all of them like The Offspring and don't say cheap "emo" bullshit or whatever. Most of them are pretty lame in music, but it doesn't make anything bad, so I'm okay with that. I don't have to prove that Offspring isn't pop / emo often in my real life.
On forums it's all different, that's why I avoid them. I was on very few in my life. I allways read some constructive comments and usualy ignore cheap ones. My advice to you - take it easier. There will allways be such trolls and haters with 3-words critics, internet grows bigger with every day, don't waste your time to prove every motherfucker that he is wrong. If someone say that Offspring is emo without any serious prove, just ban him. I know, it's a perfect solution if you can argue and prove with everyone individually, but there are thousands of such morons, so don't waste your time.

Camilamazed
06-27-2008, 08:31 AM
In honesty I have to say that I haven't read a single post accusing the band of being emo.

So, I think it's just in Brazilian communities. huh.

Many of the newbies who post here claim that they are longtime fans. True longtime fans know that a band has to be supported.

That's also something I noticed from the brazilian forums. Most of the people who are complaining about the new CD are new fans who only "own" mp3s (Most peoppel from Brazil do not buy tunes). I'm not making a contest of fans, but I don't think they have the right to complain when they're the ones who don't even buy the albuns.

If someone say that Offspring is emo without any serious prove, just ban him.

I've been deleting threads that talk about it. I know boards should be democratics, but it can't be. People have no respect at all.

Blastero
06-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Too many people are drawn to certain types of music because of their stigmas than because of the music itself, because they want to be a part of some "scene". In the process they end up adhering to these asinine dogmas that vary slightly based upon whichever band they're listening to. For example, I'm sure the fans over at the de-facto Green Day message board are also ripping on the Offspring the same way people here are ripping on Green Day.

It's complete idiocy, in my opinion. All this business of who has and hasn't sold out and what's "emo" and what isn't is basically just an excuse to rip on things without really taking an actual look at them. The notion that people can somehow figure out a band's financial and other motives for making their music simply based on what kind of music they make and how many people like them is ridiculous.

If you like music, stop giving a crap about all this "sellout" and "emo" business. "Punk" is no less of an establishment than any other kind of music. Probably more of one than most kinds of music, actually, considering the ridiculous dogma that mirrors that of a fundamentalist religion.

Drums beating in my Heart
06-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Many of the newbies who post here claim that they are longtime fans. True longtime fans know that a band has to be supported. And here I must note that by FAN, I mean a person who owns atleast 6 Offspring CDs, not just mp3 files. Don't call yourself a longtime fan just because you downloaded Original Prankster so that you could win 1 million dollars, and then eventually DOWNLOADED all their albums. And then, MAYBE you bought the albums off of Amazon for 3 bucks a piece.

Real longtime fans of The Offspring have learned that the band has changed inbetween albums, and we fans accept that, and we always dig out everything positive there is to say about it.

I call myself a FAN, and I only own RAFRAG and The Greatest Hits. It's kinda impossible to be a longtime fan as a 15-years-old, and I don't have the money to buy al their albums at once...

You don't have to be a longtime fan to know that the band has changed, wich band doesn't???

F@ BANKZ
06-27-2008, 08:55 AM
I call myself a FAN, and I only own RAFRAG and The Greatest Hits. It's kinda impossible to be a longtime fan as a 15-years-old, and I don't have the money to buy al their albums at once...

When I was first getting into The Offspring about three or four years ago now I had very few of the albums and I couldn't appreciate them like a can now. What I did was listened to my favourite album (at first Americana), then got Greatest Hits, and then after that I listened to the albums over www.offspring.com .

I have never really been fussy over sound quality; my PC speaker is from a windows 98 and my old CD player was unbelievably awful. It sounds good however you listen to it really, so I would seriously advise you to get onto the site. It was only really about 6 months ago that I bought "all" of the albums, until then I had pirates and borrowed CDs and downloads.

Hypodermic_89
06-27-2008, 08:58 AM

You don't have to be a longtime fan to know that the band has changed, wich band doesn't???
Read the first line. "Many claim to be longtime fans".

Obviously you don't claim that, so it's not directed towards you.

Drums beating in my Heart
06-27-2008, 09:00 AM
I have never really been fussy over sound quality; my PC speaker is from a windows 98 and my old CD player was unbelievably awful. It sounds good however you listen to it really, so I would seriously advise you to get onto the site. It was only really about 6 months ago that I bought "all" of the albums, until then I had pirates and borrowed CDs and downloads.

I got most of my Offspring CD's in the Library, the 3 albums that I don't have on my computer are Smash, Americana and Ignition. I'm planning on buying Smash and Ignition.

edit:
Read the first line. "Many claim to be longtime fans".

Obviously you don't claim that, so it's not directed towards you.

Ow yeah, sorry, I was to fast...

Thomas
06-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Sticky this thread?

drummerbecca
06-27-2008, 11:02 AM
So this might be off topic, and sorry if I annoy anyone by saying it, but I get narked at the sort of hierarchy on bigger forums like this. I'm only new to the forum, as I'm sure you've noticed, but I've been a fan of the band for 10 years, and own all of their albums. Yet I, and I'm sure other "newbies" have felt it too, am made to feel like I haven't earned any right to comment on anything on the forum, like my opinion on something isn't respected or even entertained just because I'm new. I think that is also something that needs to be stamped out in all forums. It's a community for people who like the same things to come together, not a fucking school with it's little cliques.

Dragnet
06-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I dont really get the point here. This is a discussion forum. It's not meant to be for Offspring lovers only.

A lot of people are disappointed by the band and express this (sometimes in a stupid way). But thats the way it goes. The band has changed a lot since their beginnings and made a lot of dumb choices (in my opinion) and I'm sick of how they treat their fans with their shitty ouput and I think there are others who think the same.

So what i'm actually trying to say. Why can't you groupies cant take some Offspring bashing??? I don't think it bothers Dexter or Noodles if they read this kind of stuff because they are millionaires anyway and maybe in 5 years when the next album comes out it will start all over the again just like every new release attracts fans who will love or hate it.

Thats the story for most bands that have been in business for such a long time (look at metallica for example). So take it easy. I really like most of the new album but I think the packaging is a joke and Fix it is embarrassing to the bones. And the last trick is really a lame closer. But I still like them.
But I just like to express my point of view here in this forum.

Thomas
06-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I dont really get the point here. This is a discussion forum. It's not meant to be for Offspring lovers only.

A lot of people are disappointed by the band and express this (sometimes in a stupid way). But thats the way it goes. The band has changed a lot since their beginnings and made a lot of dumb choices (in my opinion) and I'm sick of how they treat their fans with their shitty ouput and I think there are others who think the same.

So what i'm actually trying to say. Why can't you groupies cant take some Offspring bashing??? I don't think it bothers Dexter or Noodles if they read this kind of stuff because they are millionaires anyway and maybe in 5 years when the next album comes out it will start all over the again just like every new release attracts fans who will love or hate it.

Thats the story for most bands that have been in business for such a long time (look at metallica for example). So take it easy. I really like most of the new album but I think the packaging is a joke and Fix it is embarrassing to the bones. And the last trick is really a lame closer. But I still like them.
But I just like to express my point of view here in this forum.

The issue isn't that there are negative reviews out there. The Offspring have alwyas been one of those bands that critics and tru punx love to hate. This sort of thing is expected, especially with such an experimental album as this one. The issue is the manner in which the negative reviews are being posted. There is a proper stickied thread for reviews, and ALL opinions are welcomed in the thre, whether they are positive or negative. And, for the most part, people don't act like dicks in there unless the original review was childish an immature bashin without any real support. If you've noticed, everyone who has posted a negative review, but supported their opinion, recieved praise and started intelligent discussions, even if the support was relatively weak.

basically, if you didn't like the new album, that's totally cool. but if you feel the urge to express your opinion (which you rally should), do it in a reasonable, civilized, mature manner. If you do that, then even the album's biggest supporters (myself included) will either leave it alone or get into a nice, friendly discussion (or even a friendly argument) over our differing opinions.

Camilamazed
06-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Nobody is saying that. I've complained a lot about the band specially when it comes to chosing the set list and the greatest hits.

A lot of people are disappointed by the band and express this (sometimes in a stupid way). But thats the way it goes.

That's the point. Express feelings that way.

I'm sick of how they treat their fans with their shitty ouput and I think there are others who think the same.

Didn't get that.

So what i'm actually trying to say. Why can't you groupies cant take some Offspring bashing???

Again, nobody is saying that. we're trying to understand why it is so hard to assume they didn't like it instead of labeling it as an excuse. They also tried to blame on the new producer. wtf.

I don't think it bothers Dexter or Noodles if they read this kind of stuff because they are millionaires anyway and maybe in 5 years when the next album comes out it will start all over the again just like every new release attracts fans who will love or hate it.

In 2006, an episode showed Dexter wasn't very happy about things that were being said here. Some people knew he was not very happy with the band's situation. I guess only a few people remember a thread that has been deleted after a serious discussion. So it seems that what we say here DOES matter.

Redjie
06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Camilamazed, bows down to you !
Trying to say it i a simple way: Do express your opinion in a constructive and smart way. It's not good to start saying shit about the band & about the new album just because. There are lots of different ways to express feelings. & in a forum like this, where we do have freedom to express our opinion but we should as well respect the other members & the band, try to do it in a smart & not pretencious way.

Moose
06-27-2008, 12:08 PM
I have said this before...this wraps up everything in a nice little package...:

If this album was released by a different band, and not The Offspring, people would be saying this is a good to very good album...but because it is released by The Offspring, it will be ridiculed and put down.

...The Offspring have become an underrated band that is now cool to hate.

...I'd say Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, and Hit That have something to do with that...although more than 90% of their discography is completely serious, the 10 joke songs they have created during that span, specifically, the songs that have been released as singles and became a success, have given them a bad name...it seems they aren't taken seriously by most people. Unfair, yes; but true.

Dragnet
06-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Nobody is saying that. I've complained a lot about the band specially when it comes to chosing the set list and the greatest hits.

That's the point. Express feelings that way.

Didn't get that.

Again, nobody is saying that. we're trying to understand why it is so hard to assume they didn't like it instead of labeling it as an excuse. They also tried to blame on the new producer. wtf.

In 2006, an episode showed Dexter wasn't very happy about things that were being said here. Some people knew he was not very happy with the band's situation. I guess only a few people remember a thread that has been deleted after a serious discussion. So it seems that what we say here DOES matter.

I actually missed this thread unfortunately, how did he express that he's unhappy with it?
I know what you mean, but in a forum of this scale (i mean this being the "official forum") you can't avoid a major part of the users being complete idiots because it's what they found first when searching for an Offspring forum. I don't think you have this high percentage of dumbasses in a fan forum for example . But I think this has been mentioned before.

What really upsets me is that (as far as i know) critical threads have been deleted fopr example. Maybe there were too much of them but on the other hand we have such thread as "who is the cutest" and other complete junk, which makes this forum look really stupid.

Another point is that some fans try to defend the band at all costs. Like someone starts a rather negative thread and the first five answers are like "go fuckyourself you fucking hater" without any substance. Most threads that were negative I read hear weren't nearly as offensive as most reactions.

An the point you didn't get, well I don't really know why I wrote it myself...

Stylie
06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I totally agree with you, Camilamazed.
This is a good thread, but I'm not gonna discuss now...I'm too tired and, yeah.

Anyway, I don't need you to read this, but please, if you want, go. :)
I haven't been a longtime fan (and when I think about that, it's kinda sad, 'caus I love all the Offspring albums), but I consider myself as a true fan now. Ok, to be honest, I don't own any album...yet. The only Offspring CD I got now, is "Ixnay on the Hombre" that I got burned from my brother in year 2003 (I was 11 years then). I made a totally amateur front cover to it, actually with the CO1 logo, hah, and wrote down the songs and the track time. And hey, I gave it 6 eyes in the cube. This was the CD that got me into The Offspring. I listen to that in years, and loved it.

Now, in later time, I really got into The Offspring. I think I've been into Offspring for real in about a half year? I checked out Offspring on youtube, 'caus me and two buddies was gonna make a music project on school. We needed a band, and I considered Offspring. They was like "yeah, that's cool music, let's take that". So. I made all the presentation by myself (wrote down myself, performed together of course), bacause I really wanted to, and I learned very much of them then.

Now, I almost only listen to The Offspring. I check out this board every day, see a lot of videos of Offspring on youtube, learn myself Offspring songs on acoustic guitar EVEN I don't reallt play, or can play guitar and blablabla. I have ordered RAFRAG (x3 actually, two to my friends), Greatest Hits and remastered Ignition and Smash from the internet, so I think that's a good start. I'm gonna buy all the albums, 'caus I wanna support them 100%. One of my best days will probably be when they come to Norway (or maybe Sweden) and play live, heheh.

Well, now I wrote down my little history. Actually, I really don't have time to it, 'caus I'm going to work tomorrow. : o
Anyway, this was a kinda cute story, actually. Heheh!
...and btw, I'm just 16 years now.

Vera
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't think you need to earn fan cred by buying all their albums (though there is a point to be made here that real fans, while realizing that the Offspring *have* made a lot of money with their music, still want to give something back and if not buy all their albums, buy their favourites, or buy official merch at concerts or download off iTunes) OR by posting on this place for 5 years.

The thing about being a newbie on the board and an oldtime fan is that there's no way for us regulars to know how you feel about the band. The regulars who've anticipated this album since 2004 on these boards (this version has been around since 04) know each other and know how devoted they are - obviously, as if they weren't devoted fans they would not hang out discussing the band on these forums. Basically, anybody could come in here and claim to have listened to them since 1996 and thus try to give their opinion more value - old skool cred so to speak - but how are we to know whether it's true? So excuse us if we're distrusting - its the internet, people lie a lot.

You can be a fan and not like the new stuff, that's fine. Sometimes, with some bands, you gotta accept that what you liked about them in the first place, they've long since left behind. I don't personally think Offspring is that band at all, but if some people feel that way, okay, sure.

Basically, what makes a fan gain my respect is not their like or dislike of RAFRAG but rather how they voice their opinions. I think it's unfair to assume Offspring should make another Smash or another Ignition. It's unfair to say they've sold out, become pop or emo or any of these bullshit labels that their music (since Smash) has been clearly against. Emo as it exists today consists of very fashionable type of bands and Offspring hasn't tried to be fashionable, ever, in their nearly 20 years of history. They were very 'in' at a couple points in time but at no point could one witness a conscious decision by them to do something 'all the cool kids are doing right now'. C'mon now, they're not that kind of a band at all. Oh, and neither does taking the slightest bit of influence from that genre of rock equal "turning into".

This is getting way too long but I also want to say that yeah, discussion = differing views accepted, but this is a FAN FORUM. If you sign up just to cry about how the Offspring didn't re-record Ignition, of course you'll hear stuff like "oh just stfu already".

And yeah, fans can be retarded in defending the band, as well. But I don't this place has one of those awful places where it's forbidden to say anything negative at all about the band.. For example, I think I could freely say "I think Don't Pick It Up is a rubbish song, I can't listen to it anymore at all!" and people wouldn't jump on me calling me a hater for the first 10 posts. I wouldn't even have to add "...but of course I looooove the Offspring!".

And by the way, if you are a newbie, even if you signed up just to voice your views on RAFRAG, don't jump at it. Browse some other threads first, talk about your favourite songs, least favourite songs, your concert experiences, how you discovered the band, share trivia knowledge etc. If the posters of this place have seen your name a few times before reading your review, they'll know where you're coming from (at least a little more).

Little_Miss_1565
06-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I agree with Vera, wholeheartedly. I feel like I've said it thousands of times on here but few people have heard me -- it's less what people say when criticizing the band that is obnoxious and dumb, but HOW they go about saying it.

Stylie
06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't think you need to earn fan cred by buying all their albums (though there is a point to be made here that real fans, while realizing that the Offspring *have* made a lot of money with their music, still want to give something back and if not buy all their albums, buy their favourites, or buy official merch at concerts or download off iTunes) OR by posting on this place for 5 years.

Hehah. No, it's not like you buy 1 album, you get 1 point. And hey, I have bought 5 albums, I got 5 points!

Nah, "earn" isn't the right word.
But a true Offspring fan would have bought some CD's and supported them and blabla. 'Caus I don't think you're a true fan if you just download all the songs on piratebay, you know what I mean? But of course, it's not enough just to buy the albums. You must like the music, like their style, be their favourite band, be a true fan.

Doh...I'm so bad to explain. You should laugh at me... :-p
Anyway, this is a weird theme to discuss. *_*

Conspiracyof1000
06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't consider myself to be up there with the biggest fans, although people where I live consider me that. I've downloaded my fair share of songs (mostly stuff from the singles) but I worked my ass off to buy the albums. I got a job for the sole reason of buying RAFRAG. It was worth it.
In my eyes, to be a fan all you have to do is simply like them for what they do. Not start stupid threads on what you would do if they were homosexuals.

Budzy
06-27-2008, 04:59 PM
ive never heard anyone call offspring emo.
and u know wat sad.
u let ppl who keep bashing the offspring get to u. if their ur favorite band, u dont give a shit about anyone thinks about them, and u keep supporting them., no matter what.
yeah it gets annoying, but its pplz opinions. i could make changes to rfrg. but i wouldnt cos offspring produced a great album anyways, and nothing can be exactly suited to everyones needs. its impossible.
and i get annoyed when ppl bash others for their opinions, u gotta learn to take a hit, its their opinions. unless it is absolute bullshit. probably like the one im writing right now.
and offspring being sold out? i got into offspring when americana came out. pretty fly was my fav song back in the day. why dont u get a job was like my second favourtie. i love it when u see offspring on tv or on mtv or on radio. the problem is they dont do enuff of it. but thats their choice.
personally the more offspring the better.
the more public they become the better. as long as they keep producing fantastic songs like they do.

and thats that.
im gonna go write suicides notes and go slash my wrist now.
:D

Little_Miss_1565
06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
ive never heard anyone call offspring emo

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have time to read every post on here! ;)

Budzy
06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Nibb High Football Rules!

Conspiracyof1000
06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
ive never heard anyone call offspring emo.
and u know wat sad.
u let ppl who keep bashing the offspring get to u. if their ur favorite band, u dont give a shit about anyone thinks about them, and u keep supporting them., no matter what.
yeah it gets annoying, but its pplz opinions. i could make changes to rfrg. but i wouldnt cos offspring produced a great album anyways, and nothing can be exactly suited to everyones needs. its impossible.
and i get annoyed when ppl bash others for their opinions, u gotta learn to take a hit, its their opinions. unless it is absolute bullshit. probably like the one im writing right now.
and offspring being sold out? i got into offspring when americana came out. pretty fly was my fav song back in the day. why dont u get a job was like my second favourtie. i love it when u see offspring on tv or on mtv or on radio. the problem is they dont do enuff of it. but thats their choice.
personally the more offspring the better.
the more public they become the better. as long as they keep producing fantastic songs like they do.

and thats that.
im gonna go write suicides notes and go slash my wrist now.
:D

You didn't write absolute bullshit, except for that little bit at the end. :D
I actually got into them through Want You Bad and WDYGAJ. I don't really like WYB, but I still love the last one because it's the first Offspring song I remember hearing, so it holds a special place.
I'd love to see them on TV, too. They always play Pretty Fly during sports events...

Budzy
06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have time to read every post on here! ;)

makes me feel extra special u still had time to read mine than.

Budzy
06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
You didn't write absolute bullshit, except for that little bit at the end. :D
I actually got into them through Want You Bad and WDYGAJ. I don't really like WYB, but I still love the last one because it's the first Offspring song I remember hearing, so it holds a special place.
I'd love to see them on TV, too. They always play Pretty Fly during sports events...

yeah i woke up to a billiant morning today.
had my alram on radio. it turned on. and hammerhead was blasting.
if i didnt alright wet my bed i reckon i almost did. haha

Little_Miss_1565
06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
makes me feel extra special u still had time to read mine than.

...I think you missed my point?

Camilamazed
06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Just clearing things out here. I am not lokking high on newer fans, I'm just trying to point out the contrast of those who started listening to the band with Smash and are happy with the new album whereas fans that startted with Americana/CO1/Splinter are complaining.

When I said about piracy and stuff, I was refering to most of Brazilian fans that refuse to buy CDs saying they are expensive and stuff and to a certain point I don't agree with that.

I'm not a saint. I do download some songs sometimes, but not at the extent they do. People had the audacity to say they've never bought a CD or purchased tunes which is something I don't agree at all.

Budzy
06-27-2008, 05:18 PM
...I think you missed my point?

yeah probably.
i was just kiss assing u cos ur a mod.
hahahaha jk
no seriously.
nah just kidding.
but rly...

Camilamazed
06-27-2008, 05:20 PM
is it only me that can't read what Budzy writes?

=|

Conspiracyof1000
06-27-2008, 05:22 PM
I can understand Budzy for the most part, but then again...Hmm..

Budzy
06-27-2008, 05:26 PM
myspace language.
rdy = ready
rly = really
jk = just kidding
u'll get the hang out of it.
hahahaha = i am loling = i am laughing out loud.
cos = because.
probably doesnt matter anyways. i change me opinion every second minute and i always end up contradicting myself in the end.

Rag Doll
06-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Just clearing things out here. I am not lokking high on newer fans, I'm just trying to point out the contrast of those who started listening to the band with Smash and are happy with the new album whereas fans that startted with Americana/CO1/Splinter are complaining.

I don't think that's a fair generalization. I started listening to them with Pretty Fly because I was like "ohmygod, Dexter Holland is SO hot!!!!". And I really really like RAFRAG. I like it better than Splinter, which I definitely found less than memorable (though, if they were happy with it, that's what matters). I like it a lot in fact. It reawakened the Offspring fan girl in me. I'm most certainly not complaining.

Conspiracyof1000
06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
myspace language.
rdy = ready
rly = really
jk = just kidding
u'll get the hang out of it.
hahahaha = i am loling = i am laughing out loud.
cos = because.
probably doesnt matter anyways. i change me opinion every second minute and i always end up contradicting myself in the end.

Kewl. ....I don't use MySpace language. Not even on MySpace.

Budzy
06-27-2008, 05:31 PM
im a half ass typer cbf (cant be fucked) typin out the whole word.

Camilamazed
06-27-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't think that's a fair generalization. I started listening to them with Pretty Fly because I was like "ohmygod, Dexter Holland is SO hot!!!!". And I really really like RAFRAG. I like it better than Splinter, which I definitely found less than memorable (though, if they were happy with it, that's what matters). I like it a lot in fact. It reawakened the Offspring fan girl in me. I'm most certainly not complaining.

Yeah, I should have made myself clearer and said "most" of the fans. It would have made my sentence fairer.

=)

Rag Doll
06-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks =). Cause not all of us are finding everything to hate about it and yelling at the band (offering no constructive criticism whatsoever). =)

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
06-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I was not a member of the forum in the Splinter era

And allready 6000+ posts ? Tell me, do you do anything else? No offense ;)

And don't bother, just enjoy the music, who gives a fuck what other people think?

JohnnyNemesis
06-27-2008, 08:50 PM
I honestly believe I'm the only person who got into the band when Smash came out and is still around :(

Rag Doll
06-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Sorry, I was a Green Day fan in '94 ;p

Blastero
06-27-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't know for sure, but could the lower rate of disappointment or higher rate of civility in expressing opinions among Smash-era fans be due to the fact that a lot of them, I'm guessing, are a lot older than most of the other era fans, and are less likely to be influenced by the idiotic "emo" bashing?

IamSam
06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I honestly believe I'm the only person who got into the band when Smash came out and is still around :(

I'm sorry you're old.

jacknife737
06-27-2008, 10:58 PM
So what i'm actually trying to say. Why can't you groupies cant take some Offspring bashing???

You should be free to voice your opinion in a constructive and coherent manner, however this is still www.offspring.com, and it's completely fucking ridiculous to expect anything else other then fan-boy/girl attitudes. I'm sorry, but this is not punknews.org, or ultimateguitar.com, this is the band's official forums, where fans of the band come together to form a community, so please don’t start crying about freedom of expression when people disagree with your views. Why do you feel you need to create a sentiment of negativity in a fan forum? If you don’t like RAFRAG, fine, then don’t listen to it, but why on earth would you come to GOD, where obviously the vast majority of discussions are based around that specific album? It all just seems like a waste of time…

Edit: i also agree 100% with what Vera says, something that happens quite often acutally.

JohnnyNemesis
06-27-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry you're old.

:(:( :(:(

0r4ng3
06-27-2008, 11:14 PM
I might have been a fan back then, but I wasn't even into the whole music thing until 2002.

IamSam
06-27-2008, 11:20 PM
:(:( :(:(

It's ok. I do believe I'm only a two years your younger. We can be old together.

Rave21
06-27-2008, 11:20 PM

why all the sad faces? I wouldnt consider that a bad thing(well....the old thing maybe). that shows dedication towards the band.

Camilamazed
06-28-2008, 03:53 AM
I honestly believe I'm the only person who got into the band when Smash came out

No, you're not. Believe me.

The_Bass
06-28-2008, 05:02 AM
I don't understand why people are deviding theirselves. The pre-smash and after smash fans.

What's the problem? I like it all, don't complain. I like RFRG and Splinter, too most critisized albums.

The haters should stop whining.

Redjie
06-28-2008, 05:24 AM
This actually sounds everybody is making the "Pre-Smash division" and the "After-Smash division" like The_Bass said. And I don't believe that would be fair. I'm 16 years old, it's not my fault if only when I was 6 years old I found out that Offspring actually were a good band. I even think they were the first band I really loved. And thanks to my dad, who bought Americana right when it came out. Maybe, just maybe in 1994 I didn't even know what was supporting a band. The only songs I heard were those ones my mom & my dad used to made me go to sleep. Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits & stuff like that. But anw, back to what I was saying: I do like RAFRAG. I do think people were hoping they would come out with an album like the ST & then they got RAFRAG. Then they revolved. It's not healthy but we do have to accept other people's oppinions & if we think different, we should try to make them realise that maybe, RAFRAG is not a failure. And I'm with Rag Doll, I only listened to The Offspring in the Americana era & look at me loving RAFRAG. Though I didn't listen to it because Dexter was hot. I didn't know who the band members were for like, 2 years.

Anw, sorry for any spelling mistake. It's morning around here & I'm still sleeping.

Camilamazed
06-28-2008, 05:43 AM
We're not divinding fans. I use Smash as a reference for the differences of the albuns. It happens with most of them bands. Old fans usually don't like new stuff. A general example is U2 fans. They hated when the band released Pop. Because it was totally different from what they were used to.

=]

Redjie
06-28-2008, 05:48 AM
That's okay. I think people do that because they are not open minded to new things. It's okay, we do have fear of the unknown :p. I'm quite used to that with all my friends. I think that in a year or even less, those "haters" will be loving RAFRAG as well.

Phix
06-28-2008, 06:06 AM
i don't know why people have problems with others who say that they don't like the album. music is based on taste, which is not rational

Camilamazed
06-28-2008, 06:13 AM
i don't know why people have problems with others who say that they don't like the album. music is based on taste, which is not rational

If you read again what was said here, you will understand better. Nobody is forcing the new CD down their throats, we're trying to understand why people label the CD, blame on the producer etc... their dislike when what they should do is just say they don't like it.

That's all.

Phix
06-28-2008, 06:23 AM
oh. but still, why pay attention to those people? people are stupid, i realized that when i was 12, and worrying is counterproductive

drummerbecca
06-28-2008, 08:18 AM
I get quite annoyed when I read people slating the new album, because I do think it's great. Like with all the albums though, there are tracks I love, and tracks that I can skip past. There isn't one track on the album that I dislike, though. Like I've said before, I've been a fan for 10 years now, but every one of the albums has been my favourite album at some stage. I got into Offspring just before Americana, and as much as I love RAFRAG I have to admit I much prefer their older stuff. I should stress though, it's not because I think their newer songs are bad or anything, it's basically because I love the old-school Offspring sound. I think their newer stuff is a little bit over-produced sometimes, but thats not the bands fault. That's technology for you. We all know the guys worked (very) long and hard on this album. The bottom line is they're proud of it, and so they should be.