PDA

View Full Version : The CONSTRUCTIVE critics' thread

Free?
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
If you want to say some critics about The Offspring or their music, do it in this thread, but, please, do it in some constructive way, so we could have some civilized discussions.

If you will create a new thread with some critics, most likely you will be ignored or flamed by offspring.com/forums/ community, so do that here.

Show respect to everyone if you want to be respected.

I came up with an idea of making such thread to prevent multiple clone-threads by people who have something negative to say, hopefully it will work. Maybe this thread should get even "Sticky"

Rooster
06-27-2008, 04:10 PM
AMEN TO THAT ^^

I was thinking about creating a thread like this, but you were faster than me.

Stylie
06-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Uh. Oh man, I don't have anything critics to come with - WHAT DO I DO!? ^^
I know. I'll enjoy the album...when I get it (amazon).

Conspiracyof1000
06-27-2008, 05:31 PM
What if I don't have anything constructive to say?

Cock Joke
06-27-2008, 05:34 PM
How's this different from the review thread?

shanna_guarana
06-27-2008, 05:44 PM
yeeeey! a resurrection....with even better style......:)

Little_Miss_1565
06-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I totally love the sentiment behind this thread, but we do already have a reviews thread and I think the forums would be better served if people made constructive critiques if they have them in those threads that are already there.

shanna_guarana
06-27-2008, 06:07 PM
but this is all on the one/same place....?

Little_Miss_1565
06-28-2008, 01:44 AM
but this is all on the one/same place....?

We try to maintain some semblance of organization so people can find their way around and carry out conversations.

Free?
06-28-2008, 02:19 AM
I know that if I would want to post some critics about RAFRAG, I would do that in the reviews thread. The problem is that most of new born "critics" don't do that. Maybe because they don't want to bother and write a review to just say how much they are disappointed. That's why they create a new thread with their critics. To me it seems that if there would be "The critics' thread", it would be very clear where to post your negative opinions. I added "CONSTRUCTIVE" just to make people think twice before posting anything, to choose words carefully. So that's why I think this thread will do "the lightning rod of hate" job better than the reviews' one, simply because of it's name. Also, it's not for RAFRAG-only critics, you can critisize the band and all of their music here.

Conspiracyof1000
06-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Remember how well the last "criticize the band" thread went over? :rolleyes:

Free?
06-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Remember how well the last "criticize the band" thread went over? :rolleyes:

Ehm nope :rolleyes:. I'm actually pretty green (!) and new here. I wasn't on boards when that happened :o. And did it have "constructive" attribute?

Conspiracyof1000
06-28-2008, 02:49 AM
It was supposed to be constructive until the mods locked it and everyone got pissed of. They began stupid bitch fights talking about how unfair it was that the thread was locked. There were a lot of threads bashing the mods for about a week.

I just don't want that to happen again. It sucked. You could barely look anywhere without seeing a stupid argument.

Hypodermic_89
06-28-2008, 03:20 AM
I hope this thread will be one I can respect.

Camilamazed
06-28-2008, 05:02 AM
Unfortunateoly this will be a thread that no one will pay much of attention. The members who don't like it have already stated their opinion the the original thread. The future complainers will register the forum just to voice their anger and then never come back.

=[

Free?
06-28-2008, 06:14 AM
Unfortunateoly this will be a thread that no one will pay much of attention. The members who don't like it have already stated their opinion the the original thread. The future complainers will register the forum just to voice their anger and then never come back.

=[

That's why I think it should be sticky. So mods can easily close / delete new threads simply pointing that there is already one big fat critics' thread.

HeadAroundU
06-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Nah, we need WAMBULANCE thread where mods can throw all the first-post-album-bashers. :)

shanna_guarana
06-28-2008, 10:58 AM
actually, I posted the last critics' thread and it got deleted....

Camilamazed
06-28-2008, 11:13 AM
You know what would work better than this nice one?

Start a thread "RFRG is shit - say all you want", and voi la. All the crap from haters would be gathered in a specific place making the review thread and the rest of GOD be nice and clean.

=D

jacknife737
06-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Intentions were good, but there is already a review thread. People who wish to offer their opinions on the album should do it there, or on a thread dedicated to a specific song.

medi01
06-28-2008, 02:50 PM
only real critiscism is that ... i cant critisize it :D:D:D:D

Little_Miss_1565
06-28-2008, 10:22 PM
It was supposed to be constructive until the mods locked it and everyone got pissed of. They began stupid bitch fights talking about how unfair it was that the thread was locked. There were a lot of threads bashing the mods for about a week.

I just don't want that to happen again. It sucked. You could barely look anywhere without seeing a stupid argument.

It did suck, but Tijs and I are not going to avoid doing our jobs just because some people can't handle it. The thread may have started off okay as far as constructiveness went, but it didn't even make it to 1 page long before 'OMFG DEY R FAT N OLD' became the whole thing.

That's why I think it should be sticky. So mods can easily close / delete new threads simply pointing that there is already one big fat critics' thread.

I don't think that criticisms should be segregated off into another thread. I think it makes more sense to have them along with what other people are saying, and there won't be bitchfests if people do it constructively.

Intentions were good, but there is already a review thread. People who wish to offer their opinions on the album should do it there, or on a thread dedicated to a specific song.

Yes, exactly. It's one thing to have criticisms; it's another to draw tons of attention to people complaining by making it its own separate thread that might even be stickied.

I love that Free? took the initiative to start a higher level of discussion about the way people go about expressing their opinions here. Tijs and I can really only do so much when it comes to this place. This is your community and it's only as good as you make it.

Conspiracyof1000
06-28-2008, 10:28 PM
It did suck, but Tijs and I are not going to avoid doing our jobs just because some people can't handle it. The thread may have started off okay as far as constructiveness went, but it didn't even make it to 1 page long before 'OMFG DEY R FAT N OLD' became the whole thing.

I wasn't saying I disliked you guys for closing the thread (it was stupid anyway) I was saying I disliked the vast amount of arguments that ensued because people felt their rights were being oppressed. I understood you were just doing your jobs, so therefore I tried to remain in a neutral state. I could care less if a lot of the threads were closed, if they became obscene.

Little_Miss_1565
06-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Ahh, k, I get it better now.

Free?
06-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Now, after re-reading this thread, I think that the "critisize in the dedicated threads" option is better than "one big critics' thread", but IF ONLY all the community is mature enough to show some good manners, which seems impossible. Besides, this thread was meant to be not rafrag-only, but about the band and everything that the band is responsible for. So I don't think it would hurt much if it will exist, at least playing role as some new-born-haters'-hate-magnet, hopefully.

Speaking of constructiveness... ofcourse if you are going to say some negative stuff, you'd better prepeare good arguments because in most cases you will meet some opponents, but what about new-born-lovers that start the same endless "I love ******" clone threads which repeat several threads on the next few forum pages? Is dumb hater really worse than dumb lover? Is there anything that can be done about that? I guess the answer is the same "IF ONLY all the community is mature enough to show some good manners, which seems impossible"... Stuff is messed up here.

Stylie
06-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Ahh, k, I get it better now.
...you're getting better all the time...

Little_Miss_1565
06-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Now, after re-reading this thread, I think that the "critisize in the dedicated threads" option is better than "one big critics' thread", but IF ONLY all the community is mature enough to show some good manners, which seems impossible. Besides, this thread was meant to be not rafrag-only, but about the band and everything that the band is responsible for. So I don't think it would hurt much if it will exist, at least playing role as some new-born-haters'-hate-magnet, hopefully.

Speaking of constructiveness... ofcourse if you are going to say some negative stuff, you'd better prepeare good arguments because in most cases you will meet some opponents, but what about new-born-lovers that start the same endless "I love ******" clone threads which repeat several threads on the next few forum pages? Is dumb hater really worse than dumb lover? Is there anything that can be done about that? I guess the answer is the same "IF ONLY all the community is mature enough to show some good manners, which seems impossible"... Stuff is messed up here.

I totally agree. There's one way to make sure the place is mature enough -- PEER PRESSURE! ;) Way to go, Free, I think you're on the right track.