PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of: A Lot Like Me

F@ BANKZ
06-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Rise and Fall is my favourite album to date; I adore it. I appreciate how the band have broken from their convention and implemented some new sound into it, however, I frankly have a problem with A Lot Like Me.

I do not dislike this song; it is original, lyrically adequate, daring and all in all it's not so bad. Nonetheless, though I might enjoy this song by itself in time, when I read here many posts of fans' elation over it and reviews stating Rise and Fall is a 'gateway' album, I cannot help but feel concerned that the band could pursue the sound of A Lot Like Me in their next album. This would, in my eyes, be a monumental mistake.

There is no evidence to suggest that the band have even considered this, I am aware of that, but A Lot Like Me is so popular with some that The Offspring could, very realistically, decide that they want to target this audience specifically. I do not mean to say that they would do this for a whole album, but just two or three songs in the style of A Lot Like Me could easily ruin an album in my eyes. Sorry to talk of a new album so soon, but I've been meaning to pick a fight on A Lot Like Me for some time now; personally I think that it is overrated.

Please comment, thanks for reading.

brothadave79
06-30-2008, 04:57 PM
I agree, it doesn't really move me too much either, even though there is nothing WRONG with it. I would be disappointed if it became their new direction.

With that said, I enjoy how 2:15-2:30 sounds very Ixnay-ish. They could do those fifteen seconds for a new album and I'd be okay.

IamSam
06-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I too share your thoughts. I do like the song, but for the next album I'd much rather seem them stay in the lines of Trust in You, You're Gonna Go Far Kid, Takes Me Nowhere, and Let's Hear it For Rock Bottom.

To make an album along the lines of one song is something they have never done, so I don't expect them to start now.

F@ BANKZ
06-30-2008, 05:22 PM
To make an album along the lines of one song is something they have never done, so I don't expect them to start now.

They did say Can't Repeat was going to be the main inspiration for what would become Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, but they either decided against it or reconsidered due to critisisms of the song.

Ryder1234
06-30-2008, 05:24 PM
actually this is one of my favorite songs on the album. i do however agree that to base an album off one song woundnt be so much a mistake, but it wouldnt work. people would bash them for sounding like colplay or something (in my eyes it sounds like coldplay meets offspring, and i like coldplay)

i dont really like trust in you that much anymore. it got kind old for me. maybe it had something to do with the fact that that was one of the songs from the leak i downloaded before hand.

0r4ng3
06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
They would never change their sound to fit a song because it was popular. Dexter said so himself, he doesn't care about popularity and money, because the band is at the point where they make music solely because they want to.

Cock Joke
06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
I doubt they'll make the whole album sound like one particular song. They know better than to do that.

Cock Joke
06-30-2008, 05:28 PM
They would never change their sound to fit a song because it was popular. Dexter said so himself, he doesn't care about popularity and money, because the band is at the point where they make music solely because they want to.

Hah! You know that's a bunch of bullshit. ;)

brothadave79
06-30-2008, 05:40 PM
i dont really like trust in you that much anymore. it got kind old for me. maybe it had something to do with the fact that that was one of the songs from the leak i downloaded before hand.

It lost its luster pretty quick with me just because it sounds too much like a lot of things they've done before. Never really stood out for me.

F@ BANKZ
06-30-2008, 05:46 PM
I didn't say (or mean to) a whole album or in light of sales. If it is popular amongst fans -which it is- and, additionally, if it is suited for mainstream -which it is- then it might seem like the logical route for the band.

HeadAroundU
06-30-2008, 06:01 PM
No, Dexter wants popularity. He wants the success and a big audience. He doesn't care for the money that are connected to it. That's how I understood it. The Offspring obviously changed in order to be current/popular/successful (on some songs).

I would be in heaven with 12 A Lot Like Me songs. That's just a dream and your concern is useless. They are on the way of doing albums with diverse songs.

Budzy
06-30-2008, 06:54 PM
They did say Can't Repeat was going to be the main inspiration for what would become Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, but they either decided against it or reconsidered due to critisisms of the song.

i think Can't Repeat REPRESENTS offspring. i thinkthey're best music the stuff that i love them for is because they based their songs o that sort of style. fast, meaningful at times, with a simple but awesome sounding guitar.
TKAA, Lightning Rod, Never gonna find me, it'll be a long time, all i want, have you ever, u get the picture. sure they sometimes have a ballad in there or two, or a bit of Dont Pick it up and what happened to you, but normally u'll find that thats what they based most of their albums on. they have a few of fast songs, maybe an accoustic, a couple more 'poppier' songs for radio play, a ballad or two, intros and u pretty much have their album. and i think rise and fall was a bigger change for them then the smash to ixnay period, but its still based along these guidelines. Well thats my opnion anyways.

SMASHedTHEignition
06-30-2008, 08:14 PM
i didnt much like th song wen i first herd it but it is one of th best on the album now i rekn

Jaded skies
06-30-2008, 09:25 PM
i agree. I like the song. But people are saying it should be a single. I wouldnt recommend it.

jacknife737
06-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I do like the song, but for the next album I'd much rather seem them stay in the lines of Trust in You, You're Gonna Go Far Kid, Takes Me Nowhere, and Let's Hear it For Rock Bottom.

I agree with this, although I really, really, really like A Lot Like Me, i wouldn't want a whole album of songs like it. Although to be honest, i wouldn't mind if they decided to throw on a track similar to it.

However, for the most part, i think that F@ BANKZ fears are unwarranted, the song may be popular amongst the fans, and maybe even the general public, but i don't see the band creating an entire album based around that specific sound.

The Search Button
07-01-2008, 01:37 AM
i agree. I like the song. But people are saying it should be a single. I wouldnt recommend it.

I would. I have the perfect video-clip in my mind for that song.

Dexter, phone me!

OnTopic: A album full of "A Lot Like Me's" would be, lets say, boring although the song's great. Diversity is, I think, the way they chose to go from now.

Hypodermic_89
07-01-2008, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't mind if they kept this sound going into the next album. Every album has had a new sound, but we haven't seen much of that sound since. I don't think it's gonna change this time.

Living In Chaos for example is pretty unique. Haven't heard anything like it since.

Mushroom
07-01-2008, 01:46 AM
I really hope they don't base anything off A Lot Like Me, it's one of my least favourite songs on the album. All I can think of when I listen to it is "What I've Done" by Linkin Park.

Bob Rock needs to get his grubby little hands away from The Offspring. I can't help but feel his influence is what has caused the unoriginality in some of the songs.

Don't me wrong, I like most of the songs on the album, some of it is some of their best work, but one or two tracks sound uninspired, and feel like they came out of Bob Rock saying "I know what's best for you guys"

Budzy
07-01-2008, 02:52 AM
and feel like they came out of Bob Rock saying "I know what's best for you guys"
i doubt it.
offspring took a huge risk in changing from epitaph because they felt like they were being told what to do.
if offspring felt like this guy was pushing them they give him the cut and find a new producer.
i hope.
"we want to do w/e the fuck we want" i rmb dexter saying in that letter.

DUKENT
07-01-2008, 05:02 AM
I love A Lot Like Me! Some people say Dexter's voice was digitally changed in this song. I don't think so! What do you think?

Anyway whole album, which would sound like A Lot Like Me would disappoint me.

F@ BANKZ
07-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I would be in heaven with 12 A Lot Like Me songs. That's just a dream and your concern is useless. They are on the way of doing albums with diverse songs.

They would cease to be diverse if there was a whole album of them. If you're are referring to A Lot Like Me as a unique song rather its style then do you not think they should stay just a little bit true to what they do best? You say you want a diverse album, but to get one like this would ultimately mean practically discarding the sound that they have stayed true to throughout their career.

HeadAroundU
07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
They would cease to be diverse if there was a whole album of them.

If you're are referring to A Lot Like Me as a unique song rather its style then do you not think they should stay just a little bit true to what they do best?

You say you want a diverse album,

but to get one like this would ultimately mean practically discarding the sound that they have stayed true to throughout their career.
Yes.

For me, it's the best song on the album. I want the album full of songs like that but that's just a dream. They won't do it.

I'm not saying I want a diverse album. They seem to be going this way. (Splinter, RFRG) Actually, I don't want a diverse album.

You are talking about a cohesive album here. Yes, that would mean it.

HeadAroundU
07-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Also, worth double post.

The song like A Lot Like Me is recorded once in 10 years. They are not capable of doing the album full of them.

h2ocean
07-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't think they will ever have an album that just has one sound

IamSam
07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't think they will ever have an album that just has one sound

*cough*Ignition*cough*

The Search Button
07-01-2008, 01:06 PM
*cough*Ignition*cough*

http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/images/catalogue/medium/BECDC12.jpg

ad8
07-01-2008, 01:08 PM
i doubt it.
offspring took a huge risk in changing from epitaph because they felt like they were being told what to do.
if offspring felt like this guy was pushing them they give him the cut and find a new producer.
i hope.
"we want to do w/e the fuck we want" i rmb dexter saying in that letter.

But that was 12 years ago... I doubt that Dexter has exactly the same position as 12 years ago.

Moose
07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
yeah ignition has a cohesive sound...more than any of their other albums...it may be their greatest album however...the self-titled album and ignition have a very cohesive sound...smash broke somewhat, but it did as well...then they became more diverse...as they've gotten older, they've gotten more diverse to a point...it isnt 12 straight punk type songs, now its a mix of genres and sounds...i think that is why they still have appeal over a band like pennywise...

...they aren't just playing punk genre music...they play everything, although i like the punk, hard, fast, loud stuff they do best...i understand the need and want to do something else and more...sometimes it works out well, sometimes it doesnt...

...i would rather have them gone in different directions in certain songs on raf,rag...specifically songs like nothingtown and fix you (and kristy, but the other 2 songs are more of a priorityfor dismisal)...especially since the momentum of the album doesnt carry all the way through, but the songs arent terrible (such as shes got issues and walla walla)...but i think adding 2 of the harder type songs would have pushed this album all the way through to great and kept it diverse...but its still a strong album.

p.s. a lot like me is a great song.