PDA

View Full Version : What's cookin', good lookin'?

Little_Miss_1565
06-30-2008, 08:03 PM
I just made the most awesomest bestest dinner and I want to share it with you guys, and also get your favorite recipes so I can steal them. I am freshly unemployed and want to use this time to figure out this whole cooking thing for myself once and for all. I learned how to cook for the most part while I was vegetarian and now that I'm not anymore, I'm trying to re-learn.

SARAH'S HOLY CRAP AWESOME CROCK POT CHICKEN 'N VEG

3 chicken breasts
Water
Half a bottle of fat free Italian dressing
1 chicken boullion cube
Kale
Mushrooms
Zucchini
Grape tomatoes
Garlic
Spices

Put the chicken breasts along the bottom of the crock pot and add enough water/chicken broth to halfway cover the chicken. Crumble the boullion cube and sprinkle over the chicken and water. Top it off with the half bottle of Italian dressing. Now that the chicken is nicely covered, set the crock pot to low and get the fuck out of your house for the next 8 hours. Seriously, go ride a bike or something. It's nice out.

When you come back, try not to fall over from how awesome it smells in your entire apartment. Open up the pot and flip the chicken over. Now, sautée up your favorite veggies in some extra virgin olive oil (I made the ones I listed in the ingredients above). Serve a chicken breast on a bed of the veggies and season with spices and such to taste, with a few tablespoons of the awesome chickeny juice from the pot.

I put the other two chicken breasts and the brothy/gravy stuff in the fridge to eat later this week and I'll make more veggies each time.

IamSam
06-30-2008, 10:34 PM
What is kale like?

Little_Miss_1565
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
It's one of the dark leafy greens, along with swiss chard and collards. You can basically cook the living shit out of it (steam, sautée, whatever) and it'll still be chewy. Just cook it with salt so it draws out the bitter taste. I love spinach, but cook it even a little too long and it's so mushy it makes you wanna vom. Kale holds itself up.

Just reread my original post and LOL'd. I was high off a really good meal, sorry guys.

Also, excellent tagging HAU. :)

jacknife737
06-30-2008, 11:17 PM
It's one of the dark leafy greens, along with swiss chard and collards. You can basically cook the living shit out of it (steam, sautée, whatever) and it'll still be chewy. Just cook it with salt so it draws out the bitter taste.

It's alright; i like to add lemon juice on the rare occasions that i cook with it.

Sunny
07-01-2008, 07:43 AM
that does sound good. ugh. i'm starving now. *gnaws on paw*

i have a yummy french crock pot/stew recipe but it's more of a winter dish... it's magically tasty on cold days. i don't have the exact recipe on hand but it goes something like this:

delicious cubed beefs
onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, zuccini, fennel, chopped leeks
thyme, rosemary, a bit of basil (or you can just add herbes de provence), parsley
beef broth
red wine (i put cotes du rhone, but i'm sure others would do)
evoo, salt/pepper

you can serve it over egg noodles or mashed potatoes or with a salad and crusty bread. oomg.

and btw, how is non-vegetarian-ness working out for you? do you ever feel like... heavier and sort of gross now that you eat meat again? it bugged the hell out of me, personally. but maybe i'm a whackjob ;D

The Search Button
07-01-2008, 08:40 AM
needs....more....alcohol....and....pepper.

Little_Miss_1565
07-01-2008, 09:55 AM
and btw, how is non-vegetarian-ness working out for you? do you ever feel like... heavier and sort of gross now that you eat meat again? it bugged the hell out of me, personally. but maybe i'm a whackjob ;D

The wintery stew sounds aaaaawesome. I will file it away.

I do feel heavier and sort of gross. In fact, I definitely AM heavier. I'm trying to eat less meat, maybe one meal a day and that's it, but then there's always bacon.

I'm also trying to experiment with healthy healthiness, like using greek yogurt instead of sour cream and such. I guess we'll see what happens.

Sunny
07-01-2008, 10:05 AM
thick cut bacon will be the death of me... quite literally, i'm afraid. sry arteries =(

which reminds me of another awesome wintery recipe, which is an italian potato soup with kale, bacon and italian sausage. oh dear. so bad, yet so good. i miss the cold!

but yeah. i haven't gained much weight, but i definitely feel more "blurg" after a meal that contains meat. it's tasty and convenient, though... i wish i had the time to be inventive with my meals instead of just settling on meat and veggies.

Betty
07-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I definitely support the "healthy healthiness" or whatever you called it. About nine months ago, I threw away pretty much everything processed from my fridge/pantry and went and bought cottage cheese, plain yogourt, tons of bulk nuts, flax seeds, etc. But since I started pumping iron, I also went really heavy on the protein (so more meat... but also lots of eggs, fish - lots of salmon, protein powder, nuts, cottage cheese). It's been magical for the bod (and health! I only caught a cold once, and with the fastest recovery ever)

Anyway, a few recipes.

The greatest soup I have ever discovered: Peanut butter chicken vegetable

Seriously. This blows my mind every time I have a bite.

-Boil three chicken breasts (I go heavy on the meat, you could cut back to two, or use other parts of the chicken) in 8 cups chicken broth.
-Remove chicken, and skim broth of gross stuff if necessary
-Finely chop up a ton of vegetables and throw them in (1 med onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 green pepper, 2 large carrots, 1 large zucchini, 1 head broccoli - I wouldn't omit any of the first three for flavour purposes - you could add a potato or two in cubes, but I mostly avoid starchy carbs)
-Add 1 large can diced tomatoes
-Boil about 10 min
-Add salt to taste (1/2 - 1 tsp), a bunch of ground black pepper, a few dashes of cayenne if you want a little kick
-Chop up chicken and add this in
-And the key ingredient: 1/2 cup peanut butter (all natural smooth or crunchy is probably best), stir and heat a few more minutes

Avocado tomato feta salsa (I like to call this one "the greatest thing you will ever eat"... and sometimes I feel like I am hyping it up... but whenever I bring it to a party, no matter who is there, everybody goes nuts on it "WHO made that?" "That avocado stuff is AMAZING" etc, etc)

-2 avocadoes (not too ripe, not too firm, a little firm is best, but still soft enough to peel easily and not be bitter)
-2 tomatoes
-1/4 red onion
-2 cloves garlic
-feta cheese (the more the merrier? but lots is good)
-1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
-1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Chop everything super finely. De-seed tomatoes for the most part. Mix. Chill for a few hours if possible. Serve with nacho chips or pita bread.

As for healthifying stuff... the greatest thing I have discovered is possibly yogourt cheese. Just strain some low fat plain yogourt (you could use something fancy like cheese cloth, but I just use a paper towel or two in a strainer) for a couple of hours or overnight and you get a healthy creamy base for dips or salad dressings. I like to just mix in some dry ranch mix to get a ranch dip for veggies, or you could add a combo of salt/pepper/lemon juice/dill weed/garlic/balsamic/parmesan/etc to get a tasty dip. Or you could add, say, a bit of cocoa powder, a bit of sugar (and I'll sometimes add ground coffee) to make a moussey dessert.

Anyway, I love cooking and I've got a bunch of recipes. Since I cook almost all of my meals, I make a lot of things that don't take much preparation or cooking time. Like, throw some meat/fish in the oven and steam some veggies... that's a standard lunch/dinner. But if anybody wants any recipes/snack ideas, for healthy and non-healthy stuff, ask and I'll type 'em out.
Some of my classics:
-vegetable risotto
-pork back ribs in the oven (for lack of a barbecue)
-pork tenderloin in the oven
-spinach salad with sweet onion dressing
-chicken and mushrooms in white wine sauce
-macaroni and cheese (it definitely won the macaroni and cheese battle)
-baked salmon
-banana muffins (with optional walnuts/chocolate chips)... I've healthified this one

Sunny
07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
omg, the avocado feta stuff sounds awesome and so easy. must try. :D

Betty
07-01-2008, 02:52 PM
You will not regret it! Promise.

nieh
07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
thick cut bacon will be the death of me
http://www.mystrands.com/photos/2/0/7/normal/20724.jpg
If you break one of the strips in half, it still covers pretty much the entire burger which means you get like 4 thick layers of bacon on it.

OffspringFreakess
07-01-2008, 08:06 PM
i'm a vegetarian, so it's been a long time trying to find new recipies and such.

i think the best dinner combination is macaroni & cheese (not the cheap kraft kind). gourmet macaroni & cheese, y'know. the shell kind, along with some pasta noodles. regular spaghetti is fine. instead of using the cheese though, use alfredo sauce. MMMMM.

then with that i take yellow squash & zucchini and chop slivers of them, and then rub some butter on them, along with pinches of salt.

i use a steamer (preferably a bamboo one, makes the taste better, and they usually have layers so you can steam two different things at once). i steam the squash & zucchini for about 10-15 minutes. then, in a seperate dish (or if you use the bamboo steamer, switch the layers so the squash is on top) butter up some shrimp and throw it on the steamer till they are pink. (make sure to peel BEFORE! big mistake on my behalf) keep steaming the squash though, they get a little shrimpish flavor and they wont get soggy, really.

voila. you have yourself a yummy-full dinner. :D

i eat it constantly. it's amazing. and it doesn't take that long at all!

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I went to yoga this afternoon and it was awesome, but I totally sweat my balls off in the process. I was still hungry after wolfing down a banana and almost caved after walking past one of those halal roach coaches selling chicken and rice with a bit of salad for $5. God that shit smells goooood. But, I figured, why spend the $5 when I had some awesome chicken, rice, and veggies at home waiting for me?

Here's what I did with largely the same ingredients:

Brown rice
Kale
Grape tomatoes
Mushrooms
Zucchini
Tzatziki, improvised (see below)
Hot sauce (I used Gringo Bandito because it is fucking tasty and I am a nerd, but sriracha is another good 'un)

I set a cup of brown rice to cook in two cups of water with a chicken boullion cube while I took a shower to get all the yoga goodness off me. By the time I got out, the rice was well on its way to being done. I chiffanade-ed some kale and threw it in with a bit more salt, then added chopped mushrooms and zucchini plus the whole grape tomatoes. After the rice was done, I stirred everything in the pot together and added some shredded leftover chicken (see original post) plus some of that deeelicious gravy, and re-covered the pot.

While the steam reheated the chicken, I made a little tzatziki (how do you even spell that?). I didn't have any cucumber so it's not quite the real deal, but i took some greek yogurt, drizzled in a little olive oil, added some chives for color and because I love them, and some garlic powder since I didn't feel like mincing any. I added a teeny bit of salt to bring out all the flavors and poured it over my plate of foodage, then I hit it with the hot sauce.

Mmm mmm good.