PDA

View Full Version : Is There Life After Death?

oh_strange_one
06-30-2008, 10:54 PM
do you think there is life after death or not or any other opinions:p

Conspiracyof1000
06-30-2008, 10:55 PM
...You know, I never really thought about it. I'm not a religious person, so I have no idea.

JohnnyNemesis
06-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Depends on what you mean by the words "life" and "death". Death is often considered the end of life, so it seems like the answer is inherently negative, but you are probably using "life" to mean some sort of consciousness or agency beyond one's physical life.

In which case, all I can answer with is: I really fucking hope not. This life shit has to end eventually no matter how good it is.

Endymion
06-30-2008, 11:40 PM
i agree with johnny in that the term death implies the termination of life, and thus the answer to the topic at hand is negative.

Jaded skies
06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I sure hope so.

Yeah thats really all i have to add to the conversation.

The Search Button
07-01-2008, 01:48 AM
No.

But there is certainly death after life.

WebDudette
07-01-2008, 03:53 AM
Alright, we were just discussing this today.

I'm not religious so I feel that when I die (in the physical sense) that will be the end of everything. Obviously, if I am wrong, shit sucks. Though I don't exactly want to spend all of eternity in God's Magic Kingdom either.

pixi
07-01-2008, 04:08 AM
I don't like think about death but I know that it will happen. There isn't life after death but it's only my opinion and maybe I'm wrong. I will ascertain about this when I die...(hope it won't be soon...)

F@ BANKZ
07-01-2008, 04:51 AM
I believe in Heaven and Hell, so yes. Even when I think if there were not Heaven and Hell I still think that "life" would go on somehow.

dff_punk
07-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Though I don't exactly want to spend all of eternity in God's Magic Kingdom either.

How do you know, what exactly IS in that kingdom? No one knows, really.

WebDudette
07-01-2008, 05:31 AM
I do not want to be conscious in any form at all for all eternity. I don't care if Heaven was 24/7 blowjobs and video games.

dff_punk
07-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Now I get it. I want, if it's 100% good, why not? But everyone has his own opinion.

Lupin
07-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Isn't the world around us gods magical kingdom...? In answer to your question tho, no there isn't. Without meaning to be crushing about it, but does it seem remotely plausable that there would be a heaven-type-place.
Maybe you can aquire a semi-dead dream like state for say 20 minutes after you "die," which is probabily why most people who have near death experiences talk of lights, and music. But after that im guessing you wouldn't be to bothered to slip into nothing.

Ultimately, never think about it.
________
FORD POWER STROKE ENGINE PICTURE (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Power_Stroke_engine)

shanna_guarana
07-01-2008, 07:52 AM
I think there's no life after death......what are we exactly?...try thinking about this.....from the science view of course...

The Search Button
07-01-2008, 07:54 AM
...what are we exactly?...

Monkeys.

Share your Banana.

shanna_guarana
07-01-2008, 07:57 AM
no really....where do we live...what is The Earth..? the universe..? everything has it's end...so the universe does....so what are we exactly..?

0r4ng3
07-01-2008, 08:00 AM
If I thought I had to live a whole other life after this one I'd kill myself right now.

Sunny
07-01-2008, 08:17 AM
no really....where do we live...what is The Earth..? the universe..? everything has it's end...so the universe does....so what are we exactly..?

we're big, stupid mammals living on a big rock. i'm not sure i get your question otherwise...

as for life after death (or should we say continuation of consciousness... "life" ceases at death), well, i don't know. the only people who could tell us for sure are dead, so... uhh. there might be *something*, although i have no way of knowing.

what i can tell you, however, is that the idea that we will continue on exactly as we are, with our appearance, memories and feelings preserved, is beyond egomaniacal. do people really think they're so precious that they will continue being exactly as they are after their body is gone?

don't get me wrong, i totally love the concept of going to a happy realm after you die, your appearance all rejuvenated and all your memories intact, and being reunited with all your loved ones. but i have an uncomfortable hunch that it's just my ego talking out of its ass, trying to convince itself that it has any sort of significance in the universe. which it, in reality, does not.

The Search Button
07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
ermmm....Well said Sunny.

My theory about death is the following:

Do you know when you go to sleep and suddenly you wake up the next day.
Those few hour you passed unconscient, that's death just like blackout forever...without the dreams/nightmares part.

shanna_guarana
07-01-2008, 08:24 AM
without the dreams/nightmares part.

maybe with it...:D

shanna_guarana
07-01-2008, 08:27 AM
I meant deeper Sunny....

Drafan
07-01-2008, 08:30 AM
But more important question, is there Offspring after death? Dexter? And what about guitar picks??? :confused: :)

Sunny
07-01-2008, 08:31 AM
I meant deeper Sunny....

well i don't think there's anything deeper than that, really. i believe that's the present reality of our existence, so perhaps it's worth contemplating.

maybe if we don't run away from our finite, animal nature, and actually stop to think about it for a minute, we will be able to develop a better understanding of our (shitty) condition.

shanna_guarana
07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
well i don't think there's anything deeper than that, really. i believe that's the present reality of our existence, so perhaps it's worth contemplating.
are you sure? nothing deeper..? but there are plenty of things scientists can't explain....like the universe....

ad8
07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
I don't believe in the "life" after the death. But I think about stuff like that many times... too many times:D

Sunny
07-01-2008, 08:48 AM
are you sure? nothing deeper..? but there are plenty of things scientists can't explain....like the universe....

well, of course i'm not sure. i'm human, yeah?

i personally happen to believe that if we want to understand our condition, we are better off focusing on the things we already know. presently, these things would be:

- our existence as we currently know it is finite
- so is everything else we know
- life sucks and we desperately try to make sense of it.

if that's not deep enough for you, i don't know what is.

like, really, what do you want to hear? that we're fallen angels banished to a particularly shitty planet? that our life here is just a "trial period" before we go on to better things? i can give you the christian viewpoint and i can give you the buddhist viewpoint, but would either of these really *truly* answer your question?

i'm not saying there aren't things we cannot explain. i'm questioning the validity of claiming there *MUST* be something deeper just because we want it to be.

as for the universe, just because we don't know the exact workings of it, doesn't mean there is a supernatural force behind it. i'm not denying the possibility, but remember, people once thought thunderstorms were displays of god's anger.

Sunny
07-01-2008, 08:56 AM
also, i'd like to take this opportunity to add that if there is a heaven, and i happen to go there, i damn BETTER get a My Little Pony style unicorn to ride around on.

i'm partial to those with glittery manes and stars on the buttocks, by the by.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TRND/FP8760~My-Little-Pony-Posters.jpg

:o:o:o

Jakebert
07-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't know, but I do feel that as soon as humanity discovers definitive proof of the big questions (life after death, why we're here, how life began) humanity will become irrelevent and we will go extinct as there will be no other big questions to answer.

HeadAroundU
07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I think there's no life after death......

what are we exactly?...try thinking about this.....from the science view of course...
Maybe not yours but another babies will be born and the life continues, lol, without you! :d And your chemical elements might be used in another life beings. And maybe your reseted personality too!

We are humans. Be patient, lol, we are trying to figure it out. We are searching for another life beings. We are trying to figure out universe. We are able to look into the begginings of our universe which is probably 13.73 billion years into past. Isn't it amazing that we can do it from our little planet.

Share your Banana.
Shanna guarana share your Banana. :d

If I thought I had to live a whole other life after this one I'd kill myself right now.
How do you know it wouldn't suck as much as your previous life. Oh, wait, you'd kill yourself again. And again until you wouldn't be yellow. :d :d

as for life after death (or should we say continuation of consciousness... "life" ceases at death), well, i don't know. the only people who could tell us for sure are dead, so... uhh. there might be *something*, although i have no way of knowing.
False. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edward
(South Park: Edward was declared "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" in a 2002 episode of the same name.) :d

Well, what I think. It woud SUCK if I didn't know what I have been doing in this space and time. (Oh plz, gosh, tell me k!? Reset me and send me back.) Howerer, it's AWESOME that we can be here. My poor mammal thoughts from a little rock called earth. :D

T-6005
07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Being terrified of death, this question saddens me.

Also, being currently afflicted by terrible diarrhea, I don't think it's a stretch to say we don't matter all that much.

I do enjoy being alive, though. And I'd enjoy staying that way, even indefinitely.

Cock Joke
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
I dunno. When I die sometime I'll come back in my afterlife and tell you.

Llamas
07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I personally am not scared of death, and think I'd have less of a hard time as other people if I were to find out I was going to die soon.

That said, I mostly don't believe there is any sort of "life" after death. I think a soul or any consciousness would cease is there was no functioning body. If human souls were to continue on, I'd think that every living thing's soul would have to go on, too, which would be completely ridiculous.

In the event there was something after death, I absolutely can't bring myself to believe that there are two places, one for good people and one for bad people. That just seems far too ridiculous and like there'd be too much grey area.

Andy
07-01-2008, 02:27 PM
I can't believe there are no Cher references yet.

dff_punk
07-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Anyway, most of you said that you don't believe there is something after you die.

I DO believe.
I'm a priest, godddamit!

Llamas
07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I can't believe there are no Cher references yet.

I actually did almost type "I mostly don't believe there is any sort of "life" after love."

JohnnyNemesis
07-01-2008, 04:38 PM
I'd think that every living thing's soul would have to go on, too, which would be completely ridiculous.

Why would that be completely ridiculous? I don't disagree, but I'm interested.

Betty
07-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I had a two hour conversation with a coworker about this a little while ago. Or, more precisely, she talked and I listened and made a few odd comments. She spoke matter-of-factly about souls and ghosts and reincarnation. She lost me on the reincarnation part though. Just too many loose ends.

Anyway, I'd really LIKE to believe that we have a soul, just to reconcile the whole "I'm not just a collection of atoms" issue. But then there are so many problems with this. Do souls come into being when a person is born? DO souls pass from life form to life form? (That whole reincarnation issue.) Have humans always had souls? (Because we know that they evolved from lesser beings.) And obviously, where do souls go when you die and in what form? But I feel the first few questions are bigger problems because I'm trying to make the whole "soul" idea mesh with the whole science/evolution thing. And I'll admit I haven't really learned much about the theories that are out there.

shanna_guarana
07-01-2008, 05:39 PM
We are humans. Be patient, lol, we are trying to figure it out. We are searching for another life beings. We are trying to figure out universe. We are able to look into the begginings of our universe which is probably 13.73 billion years into past. Isn't it amazing that we can do it from our little planet.

I am trying to be patient...but my life goes on and sometimes when I start thinking about it...I can do it for hours...and still be at the beginning...same as when I discuss about it...like now..

Shanna guarana share your Banana. :d :p

if that's not deep enough for you, i don't know what is.

like, really, what do you want to hear? that we're fallen angels banished to a particularly shitty planet? that our life here is just a "trial period" before we go on to better things? i can give you the christian viewpoint and i can give you the buddhist viewpoint, but would either of these really *truly* answer your question?

i'm not saying there aren't things we cannot explain. i'm questioning the validity of claiming there *MUST* be something deeper just because we want it to be.

as for the universe, just because we don't know the exact workings of it, doesn't mean there is a supernatural force behind it. i'm not denying the possibility, but remember, people once thought thunderstorms were displays of god's anger.

nobody's talking about superforces.......nevermind.....

also, i'd like to take this opportunity to add that if there is a heaven, and i happen to go there, i damn BETTER get a My Little Pony style unicorn to ride around on.

i'm partial to those with glittery manes and stars on the buttocks, by the by.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TRND/FP8760~My-Little-Pony-Posters.jpg

oh...I loved those ponies when I was younger...

Lizardus
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Things that don't exist after death:
Rick's life
The female orgasm

Llamas
07-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Why would that be completely ridiculous? I don't disagree, but I'm interested.

Well, where does the line get drawn between things having souls and not? A person has a soul... an orangutan has a soul? A dog has a soul? Does a bird have a soul? How about an ant? And I can see why someone would believe a human soul would go on, because we have logical/rational thought, feelings, etc. Something like a flatworm isn't going to be able to respond to any feeling besides "ouch that hurts". What would be the point in its soul going on? I don't know if I'm making sense... I may have to try again later.

brian.offspring
07-01-2008, 07:55 PM
...You know, I never really thought about it. I'm not a religious person, so I have no idea.

didn't you EVER thought about that? wooow

i think we all come back to life . . but in my opinion there's no heaven, you're not going to meet god and all that (not 100% sure obviously) . . just my opinion, i respect people who belives in that. . .

JohnnyNemesis
07-01-2008, 08:37 PM
ai'm partial to those with glittery manes and stars on the buttocks, by the by.

You should get glittery stars on our own buttocks, by the by.

I don't know if I'm making sense... I may have to try again later.

No, no, you're making perfect sense with these questions. I read something that kinda tries to answer some of the questions you're raising but it escapes me. It was some stuff from an Intro to Philosophy course that nails some of what you're getting at. Next trip I make into storage, I'll dig the book out and try to remember.

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 01:00 AM
On a related note, this very question destroyed me as a child. Like verge of tears destroyed.

Now I just don't think about it.

Ninty Man
07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm agnostic and I don't think that heaven or hell exists

Ryder1234
07-02-2008, 08:23 PM

but what if you couldnt remember this life in that one? like, if you were reincarnated into another body, a different person, and couldnt remember this life, then it wouldnt be so bad.

...well if that happens who knows how many lives each of us have already had?

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
What if the stars are really God's salt, and he's just getting ready to eat us?

0r4ng3
07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Well then he's just gonna have to fight Galactus for that honor.

Homer
07-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I remember watching The Colbert Report, and he had this guest on who was talking about this subject. I can't remember his name though, but he said something along the lines of this: Imagine life as one big phone call. Now, when you die, you hang up your phone.

So basically, we're just... 'disconnected'. We're no longer a part of that 'call'. We just cease to exist. Yeah, I can't wrap my head around that, but I feel that's kind of a good way of explaining it?

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2008, 09:44 PM
...but if you're dead, how are you supposed to hang up your phone?

Homer
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm assuming he meant some sort of super awesome magical phone, naturally.

0r4ng3
07-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Uh...it automatically does it after you run out of minutes? I guess.

JohnnyNemesis
07-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Or a pay phone.

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
So it is a fact. Life is now a phone and people die when they max out their text messages.

Offspring-Junkie
07-03-2008, 01:35 AM
I do believe in heaven, but not in hell. It is something the church invented to keep people afraid and to keep them going to church. But you can believe without a church. So...yeah....life after death... I dunno. Not life in a living way I think. More like a restless soul or something.

OffspringHead
07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Interesting topic. Also very controversial.

I personally don't know if there is anything after death. It all depends on whether or not you look at it at a religious stand point. Apparently there's some chemical in your bones or something (I really don't know too much about it) that leaves your body the second you die and people believe it's your soul or whatever. I definitely believe something happens after death. Whether it's heaven, hell, or purgatory. But there ARE hauntings, ghosts, spirits and shit like that. So there has to be something...

Budzy
07-03-2008, 08:00 PM
idk but it would seem sorta weird that when u die u just...die. lol sry that sounded a bit blonde but i mean u cant just stop existing. there has to be something where ur mind goes to. i dont see how it can just end and thats it.

Lizardus
07-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I know someone who has seen the other side (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=dilbert&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2)

Ninty Man
07-04-2008, 11:05 PM
MMM... why that fear to die???

Is the cycle of life guys. There is no God, I'm sure of that... I can't and I won't prove that he don't exists, but... There is no heaven or hell, FUCK, every religion get full of contradiction between the years