PDA

View Full Version : Need a New Phone, and Your Opinions

IamSam
07-01-2008, 09:25 PM
My trusty LG has finally bit the dust today. As I closed it one of the hinges cracked and is on the verge of falling apart completely so I am now in the market for a phone. I want a smartphone, that I've already decided. I really like the ability to have a schedule all mapped out right there on your phone and have the ability to view Word documents and look at PDF's and PowerPoints.

These are what I'm looking at:

Palm Centro (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3805)

XV6900 (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3694)

If any of you know of a phone that is better than these that I don't have listed, please tell me! Here are some likes and dislikes:

Like: Stylus and earlier abilities mentioned.
Dislikes: Blackberrys due to their scroll wheel of shit.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Little_Miss_1565
07-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Fuck Verizon. iPhoooone!

Sunny
07-02-2008, 07:33 AM
dude... you want a smartphone but you don't want a blackberry OR an iphone? for reals?

i know a few people who had palm phones, and they hated them. HATED. like, "toss out of the window" or "set on fire" kinda hated. the centro has a shitty keyboard, shitty tiny screen, the OS is outdated... yeah, no.

i guess out of the two i'd go with the XV6900, although to be honest with you, i'd rather spend the $199 on an apple iphone and pocket the $50 (assuming your contract with verizon is up). paying $249 for a verizon branded phone is cringe-worthy in my book. not to mention, the iphone 3g can do everything you want it to do.

Lodat225
07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I have the former one you posted...

It sucks. Damn you, Palm ...

Sunny
07-02-2008, 09:09 AM
see? thanks for illustrating my point, lodat ;p

IamSam
07-02-2008, 09:18 AM
dude... you want a smartphone but you don't want a blackberry OR an iphone? for reals?

i know a few people who had palm phones, and they hated them. HATED. like, "toss out of the window" or "set on fire" kinda hated. the centro has a shitty keyboard, shitty tiny screen, the OS is outdated... yeah, no.

i guess out of the two i'd go with the XV6900, although to be honest with you, i'd rather spend the $199 on an apple iphone and pocket the $50 (assuming your contract with verizon is up). paying $249 for a verizon branded phone is cringe-worthy in my book. not to mention, the iphone 3g can do everything you want it to do.

Well I can't get an iPhone on Verizon and the Blackberrys little wheel piss me off, unless you can convince me it actually works! ;) Have you ever had a Blackberry or know someone who does?

I just realized that the XVwhatever is a Verizon branded phone so that somewhat scares me.

Sunny
07-02-2008, 09:26 AM
my husband has the blackberry 8700g and he swears by it. yes, it's an older model, but it's super reliable and does the job.

i currently have the blackberry curve, which i absolutely love. i actually really like the blackberry scroll wheel - it's much more functional and intuitive than a stylus. the only issue is that i sometimes get sharp pain in my thumb from playing puzzle games way too much. aha. but overall, it's a great phone and it's very reliable.

honestly, if you're not interested in a mp3/camera phone, i'd just go with a "regular" blackberry (and not the curve). you really can't go wrong.

IamSam
07-02-2008, 09:33 AM
my husband has the blackberry 8700g and he swears by it. yes, it's an older model, but it's super reliable and does the job.

i currently have the blackberry curve, which i absolutely love. i actually really like the blackberry scroll wheel - it's much more functional and intuitive than a stylus. the only issue is that i sometimes get sharp pain in my thumb from playing puzzle games way too much. aha. but overall, it's a great phone and it's very reliable.

honestly, if you're not interested in a mp3/camera phone, i'd just go with a "regular" blackberry (and not the curve). you really can't go wrong.

Does it have a schedule type thing? Also, how is the email wizard?

Sunny
07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
it has a scheduler/calendar thingy that syncs with your email. so like, if someone sends you a meeting request, you can accept or reject it on your blackberry... and then the phone automatically adds it to your calendar.

if by email wizard you mean the email function, uh, it's a blackberry - that's what it was made for. setting up your email takes maybe 3 minutes. the message delivery delays are pretty short. also, this: (since i'm assuming you want the phone for corporate email)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server

killer_queen
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Sunny, blackberry curve and 8320 is the same things, isn't it? I have to change my phone and blackberry seems like a good choice but there is also a new model, blackberry bold, I guess and it has gps, which is something great for me since I can get lost in my own neighborhood but it's really expensive. Since you're the only one I know who has a blackberry I wanted to ask you. Which one do you suggest? Do you think paying $200 more just for gps would be stupid?

Sunny
07-02-2008, 11:17 AM
the one i have is a 8310. i'm not really familiar with the blackberry bold... i know it's a really nice phone, but i'm not sure if it's worth the money. unless you absolutely *need* video capability.

as for gps, i get lost all the time too, and my phone bails me out. it doesn't have gps, but it has blackberry maps... and it can give you directions to anywhere. like if you tell it to "use current location" it will show you where you are on the map and tell you where you need to go. so... it works like a gps would, right?

and google maps works on the blackberry, too. so honestly, yeah, since i've had my blackberry successfully give me directions about 34890 times, i'd say paying $200 more for a GPS option would be pretty wasteful.

- -Lauren- -
07-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I have the BlackBerry Curve/8310, and so far I love. There are so many options that it is a little confusing. The scroll wheel is fine, it could be a bit faster though. Scrolling through text messages is a bit of a pain. Otherwise, the phone is great. It has great reception and sound quality.

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Maybe I'm just old, but when I had an 8700g for work sometimes my hand would cramp with the scroll wheel on the side. I think the ones with the ball in the front & center bit is designed much better. I think Crackberry is the gold standard of the smartphone.

Not as happy shiny as the iPhone though. I think that's where I'm going to go next once my contract with Verizon is up.

IamSam
07-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I stopped by Verizon today and I'm not willing to shell out the amount of money they want for a Blackberry and its data plan. I also want to deal with the help there less as they are flip flopping nimrods who can't settle on one general area of idiocracy. Therefore, I am going this route: I have purchased another type of smartphone, that a friend of mine has and I like, off of Ebay for $150 less than it's worth. All I have to do is go and get it activated when it arrives. I am rather pumped about this.:)

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Cool. What kiiind is it?

IamSam
07-02-2008, 07:06 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/31660683-2-300-DT1.gif

The XV6700. I've used my friends and it is pretty awesome. I really don't need a data plan so I'm going to tell Verizon to shove it and keep me on my normal plan when they activate this bad turkey!

I. Am. Excited. :D

Thanks everyone for your help!

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Whoa...I've been looking for a phone with a keyboard like that...

Sunny
07-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Maybe I'm just old, but when I had an 8700g for work sometimes my hand would cramp with the scroll wheel on the side. I think the ones with the ball in the front & center bit is designed much better. I think Crackberry is the gold standard of the smartphone.

Not as happy shiny as the iPhone though. I think that's where I'm going to go next once my contract with Verizon is up.

it actually took me forever to get used to the ball in the front. also, sometimes the ball throws a hissy fit and won't scroll down or left; generally, it seems a lot more fragile than the sturdy wheel, which was 100% unbreakable in my experience.

but yes, gold standard indeed.

since i'm moving and changing providers (obviously), i'm going to get the iphone 3g next. even though i totally love my berry, i am quite pumped.

Jojan
07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Choose Palm Centro. The other one seems to be running Microsoft Windows.

IamSam
07-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Bumping this cause...
I got my phone today!

It's the xv6700, like I posted earlier. I got it off of ebay for $100 USD. I'm getting it activated tomorrow and I am stoked! Our school uses wi-fi a lot so I don't need a data plan because the wi-fi is free! Oh sweetness...the text messaging is threaded, which means you can open up a texting convo with people. I'm pretty damn excited if you can't tell. The keyboard is something to behold. The buttons aren't tiny and don't require a ton of force. Oh...I could go on.

Oxygene
07-18-2008, 12:21 AM
2 words
iPhone 3g