PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl.

Jakebert
07-01-2008, 11:40 PM
So, for a while now, I've been debating on whether or not I want to start a vinyl collection. It seems like it would be fun, but I don't know a lot about vinyl and whether or not it's worth it. What I'm wondering is if anyone can give me some insight on whether or not you think it's a good idea.

The biggest thing that makes me interested in it is the fact that a lot of great rare stuff exists only on vinyl (R.E.M.'s Chronic Town EP, some Sonic Youth EP's, early Mountain Goats rarities, ect) that would be cool to own. Not only that, but vinyl collections are more timeless looking than CD collections.

Llamas
07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I will start the expected argument by saying that records sound better than CDs or mp3s. By quite a bit.

jacknife737
07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I too have had this debate. Especially since some of my favorite band’s (Ie Against Me!) put out tons of 7’s as special editions, they all look really, really cool. However, it just didn’t really seem worth the effort, I’d still end up buying the cd version, and I mostly wouldn’t have the time to appreciate the vinyl. Plus, it also seemed like a lot of work and money, for little pay off.

IamSam
07-02-2008, 12:22 AM
The problem that I've run into (and my mom) is finding a good turntable and sound system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, yet sounds good.

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 02:30 AM
I've picked up one Vinyl thus far. It is a Chinese Stars vinyl I pick up at their show, I also got it signed by half the band. The cover art on a vinyl is more impressive and I plan to make a habit of picking up vinyls at shows if I have money.

wheelchairman
07-02-2008, 05:19 AM
I think this boils down to:

People who collect vinyl are huge douchebags.

nieh
07-02-2008, 05:52 AM
If you're looking to collect them for collection purposes, go right ahead. My main reason against buying my music on vinyl as opposed to cd is that cd is much more portable, and it's a lot easier to get from the cd onto my computer. You can't listen to vinyl in the car or anything like that. I DO have vinyl copies of a couple albums I also own on cd strictly for collection purposes (Man Man - Six Demon Bag and Horse the Band - the Pizza EP which came in an actual pizza box).

BREAK
07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
lol serch button next time FAG (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30429)

Most companies that press records offer free mp3 download tickets with purchase of said album. Therefore, nieh's argument for CDs over vinyl fails dick. If you're looking to collect old stuff, watch out. Old records warp, skip, and lock themselves into repetitive grooves at an alarming rate. I won't say that the format sounds better, because it's a matter of preference. I WILL say the things are a hell of a lot cooler to own, because they are. I don't think anyone's disputing that.

T-6005
07-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I think this boils down to:

This is my opinion exactly.

JohnnyNemesis
07-02-2008, 04:11 PM

This is undeniably true.

Still, if you find it to be a cool or interesting hobby, fuck it and just go for it. Do you think you can afford it though? It starts to get pretty pricey after awhile, of course.

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2008, 05:53 PM
As a vinyl junkie in recovery, ask yourself this -- Do you move frequently? Can you afford to hire movers, as your friends will hate you forever and ever amen if they have to keep schlepping your heavy heavy crates up and down stairs and across town?

Betty
07-02-2008, 11:58 PM
I agree that's a big problem, but it would be a similar problem with CD collecting too correct?

Little_Miss_1565
07-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I agree that's a big problem, but it would be a similar problem with CD collecting too correct?

CDs are more compact. Hence the name, I guess. A box of 100 CDs is heavy, sure, but you can carry it around without any help. It's small. A crate of 100 LPs, though, you're going to need a dolly to cart that shit around and two people at least to lift it, and you'll probably still get a hernia.

Also, vinyl is fragile. It bends, it warps, and most of all, it melts. I think Atmosphere played Coachella once and they couldn't scratch at all because all their wax straight up melted.

Nothing sounds better than vinyl, though. Analog FTW.

Sunny
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
ugh, i fucking hate people who collect vinyls. my mens loves his precious OMFG R@RE industrial/synth pop vinyls, and i often contemplate killing him because we move rather frequently, his boxes are HEAVY and lugging that shit everywhere is a pain and expensive.

that being said, it's kinda cool, if only for the quality of the album artwork, in most cases. *shrug*

Rag Doll
07-03-2008, 09:53 AM
my father has a huge and ever-growing vinyl collection. all it does is collect dust and take over any storage space available. he never listens to any of it and yet he keeps adding more and more and more. =\

i've contemplated getting Pumpkins stuff (and ONLY Pumpkins stuff) on vinyl, but....meh.

Little_Miss_1565
07-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I move a lot too, and I've sent most of my vinyl to my mom's house. I keep all my junk in plastic tubs and I split up the LPs among all of them so they're all heavier but not as heavy as they would be if everything was in one.

But now I've found an awesome place and I hope to stay here for the next FOREVER AND NEVER MOVE AGAIN.

Jakebert
07-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm still pretty undecided about this, mainly due to cost. If it was cheap, I'd go for it easily, but damn, with the cost and fragileness of vinyl, 'tis a tough decision to make. I think I might wait for my grandma to die, and if my family gets her large record player, I shall start a collection, because God gave me a sign.

JohnnyNemesis
07-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I've found an awesome place and I hope to stay here for the next FOREVER AND NEVER MOVE AGAIN.

lol ny

Betty
07-04-2008, 01:44 AM
I guess I'm underestimating the size of a record. It would be what?... around three times the size/weight of a CD?

Here's a question. Do you plan to listen to the vinyl? And if so, do you have or intend to invest in a really good stereo system to make the sound quality difference worthwhile?

RageAndLov
07-04-2008, 05:35 PM
i listen to a lot of punk, and half of the punk bands i listen to makes almost only vinyls, so therefore i buy some vinyls

i also buy some vinyl that i have in cd

got ignition, ixnay and rafrag on vinyl, and it is much cooler to listen to ignition on vinyl than cd or mp3

but as some people has mentioned, it gets pretty costy after some time, i've experienced!